• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Blade II |OT| Swiping never felt so good

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just beat the game <3

It's really long - probably 5-6 hours, compared to the original's ~30 minutes or so. The length is a bit misleading because the game is designed to be looped through several times, just in a smarter way than IB1.

There are branching paths, so you'll fight ~4 intro fights, choose left or right, work your way to that path's boss, and either succeed or fail at killing him. Then you're booted back to the start and can go through again, taking a different path.

To put it another way, the original launched with I think ~10 "combat locations" (more were added later), and this game probably has 30-40?

Regarding the ending - no spoilers - just wanna say the game has a really great, really tough NG+ mode. So there's some excellent replay value here beyond just maxing out equipment. That was a nice surprise (and is an excellent argument for why reviewers should have to BEAT the games they review, even long after they're sure they've played enough to form an opinion).

Anyway, my review will be online TOMMORROW (Wednesday) at 9AM PST / 6AM EST, on IGN.com
So this will be up 12AM tonight in Asian stores? Or will we have to wait for the US release? :<

Edit:
Sorry for nextpaging you, Justin. Quoted your post, so it won't be forgotten.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
So this will be up 12AM tonight in Asian stores? Or will we have to wait for the US release? :<

Edit:
Sorry for nextpaging you, Justin. Quoted your post, so it won't be forgotten.

12AM December 1st. Whenever the clock in your country crosses over from Nov30 to Dec1.

The confusion comes because Apple sends games live one Timezone at a time. So Australia and New Zealand get games something like 20 hours before the US.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
12AM December 1st. Whenever the clock in your country crosses over from Nov30 to Dec1.

The confusion comes because Apple sends games live one Timezone at a time. So Australia and New Zealand get games something like 20 hours before the US.
Thanks for clearing that up. I hate the fact that I have a mid-year exam tomorrow at 8:30AM so much now...

FGMPR

Banned

Do they explain IB1's batshit crazy ending, or do they pretend (part of it) never happened?

Oxx

A little off-topic perhaps, but this thread needs an injection. I just finally got around to checking out the negative bloodlines in the original IB, and wow, is that dark gear OP. I am ripping through dudes with that crazy sword.

Negative bloodline!?

*Googles*

OMG

GDJustin

Do they explain IB1's batshit crazy ending, or do they pretend (part of it) never happened?

I would say this one is crazier :p

FUN FACT: The world of Infinity Blade is post-apocalyptic. IT's not really fantasy at all. <3

Also, Brandon Sanderson wrote a tie-in ebook I would strongly advise picking up. It's, incredibly, one of the classiest video game tie-in books I've ever seen. Probably the only one written by a genuinely #1 NYTimes bestselling author?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SFRJ6K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Gowans

Gona play one agaon before I grab this tomorrow.

After watching the GB quicklook it looks fantastic.

Infinity blade seems like one of the few games like Fruit Ninja that would transfer to a great Kinect XBLA game.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Infinity blade seems like one of the few games like Fruit Ninja that would transfer to a great Kinect XBLA game.
Think about the frustration if you'd lose a fight with God Knight because the Kinect read your move wrong.

GeekyDad

Just beat the game <3

It's really long - probably 5-6 hours, compared to the original's ~30 minutes or so. The length is a bit misleading because the game is designed to be looped through several times, just in a smarter way than IB1.

There are branching paths, so you'll fight ~4 intro fights, choose left or right, work your way to that path's boss, and either succeed or fail at killing him. Then you're booted back to the start and can go through again, taking a different path.

To put it another way, the original launched with I think ~10 "combat locations" (more were added later), and this game probably has 30-40?

Regarding the ending - no spoilers - just wanna say the game has a really great, really tough NG+ mode. So there's some excellent replay value here beyond just maxing out equipment. That was a nice surprise (and is an excellent argument for why reviewers should have to BEAT the games they review, even long after they're sure they've played enough to form an opinion).

Anyway, my review will be online TOMMORROW (Wednesday) at 9AM PST / 6AM EST, on IGN.com

Great, you're literally forcing me to buy this game now. Fine, have it your way. Bought!

GDJustin

Review is up:

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/121/1213605p1.html

Infinity Blade 2 is a perfect representation of what iOS games are capable of. Chair has created a near-flawless combination of best-of-breed visuals and touch-controlled gameplay.

Best of all, the entire package is a bigger and better value than the original in virtually every way. Four times the number of combat locations. Nearly triple the volume of equipment. Double the number of unique enemy types. And once you complete it all, a robust and challenging New Game+ awaits. Chair is also promising aggressive post-launch support, including cooperative multiplayer "Clash Mobs."

Infinity Blade 2 is a must own - it is the App Store's killer app.

If there are typos or grammatical errors in the review for the love of God let me know. I finished it after midnight.

hwalker84

Does anything roll over from IB1 to IB2?

The reason I ask is because I pretty much did 100% of the game on the iPhone4 but not the iPad 2 I don't own an iPhone anymore so i will be playing this on the iPad 2.

GeekyDad

Wil it work great on a 3GS? As in no slowdown and/or shitty framerate?

Great? I doubt it. It's possible, I suppose, it will run okay, but if the first game is any indication of how it will run on 3Gs, then there is reason for pause. I was having really bad issues with IB the other day, with it crashing constantly. Then I turned off my phone and restarted, and the game's been running good ever since. If IB2 runs at least as good as IB is running now on my phone (I'm also using a 3Gs), then I'll be satisfied.

Mik2121

Uhm.. it seems like there's something wrong with the sound.

Like, some sounds when fighting just don't play at all, or sound close to.. mute, like you were listening to it while wearing some headphones. Sometimes at the end of a fight you can hear a couple of the slashes and the enemy screaming, but otherwise there are tons of sounds... missing?

Then again, right now the "music" playing is kinda trippy, in a "you are in a dream" kind of way, though it shouldn't be (at least not story-wise). Also the sound itself sometimes gets cut. Kinda weird.

Otherwise, the visuals are amazing. I finished the first blood line (very short, kinda like a tutorial) and now I'm on the second one. Lots of fun :D

GeekyDad

Man, dual wielding weapons are so damn strong :O
I left an enemy at around 30% HP on the first row of combos :D

Yeah, the new fighting classes are perhaps what I'm looking forward to most. I think it was a great way to mix things up and add to what already works well.

dream

Er, how much is this supposed to be? I thought it was $6.99 but all the tech blogs are listing it at $9.99.

GeekyDad

Infinity Blade 1 keeps crashing on the title screen. This may be a bad omen.

If you just installed it, I'd recommend removing the game and reinstalling. If you have been able to play it in the past and are just now having problems, then I'd say, shut down your device and restart. See if that helps.

Anyone know how it plays on the 4? IB1 performs like a dogs arse on the 4 as it is so I'd be surprised if this is better :/ can still hope though!

Never mind, reports that there's significant slowdown and lagging. Oh well, will wait until I upgrade. Still pissed that I can't even play the first game properly because of ios 5 :/

GeekyDad

Anyone know how it plays on the 4? IB1 performs like a dogs arse on the 4 as it is so I'd be surprised if this is better :/ can still hope though!

Judging from what I was reading over on the official IB forums, it seems a lot of the problem was attributed to iOS5. Of course, the creative director was gushing over the new OS during the Quick Look with Giant Bomb, so presumably, IB2 is optimized for it. Just a shame they haven't gone back to the first game to tweak it a bit, especially considering they've been promoting the game a lot in anticipation of IB2's release.

Zeth

Holy crap, thanks for mentioning the Quick Look. Watching now.

Seems to be conflicting information about release time: Most games go up at 11 Eastern but some are saying this is out at 12. Not that an hour matters much I guess.

Synless

Never mind, reports that there's significant slowdown and lagging. Oh well, will wait until I upgrade. Still pissed that I can't even play the first game properly because of ios 5 :/

The first game runs great on my 4S and iPad2. How did iOS5 break it?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

Well, I think the first one wasn't that bad on 4. Sure, when you first run it it had to load everything, but after that it was mostly ok and I think the performance of II is better.

Top Bottom