• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Blade II |OT| Swiping never felt so good

Yoshiya

I think it only runs on the iPhone 4S and iPad 2

No, that isn't the case, I am worried whether it will run well on the iPad 1 though. Even with the new lighting disabled and lowered textures it still looks like the game has increased geometric complexity.

Edit: They should really just include some options, I don't mind making it look a little rough to get smooth performance on older hardware.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Yep. The sale didn't come until the year after the year of the release date.

36lB3.jpg

I just saw your tweet and quoting this pleased me very much.

Anyways, basically you're saying wait three months?

Medalion

Banned
I wouldn't even begin to attempt to play this on the first gen iPad despite they say it is supported

Will get for my iPod Touch 4 though

Mik2121

Wow... some of you are quite cheap. This game seems to have quite the content and isn't your typical iOS cheap (in many meanings) title, but you can't pay $6.99 for it, gotta wait until it's $2.99...? How are some of you guys able to afford PS3/360/Wii titles? :p

Yoshiya

I wouldn't even begin to attempt to play this on the first gen iPad despite they say it is supported

Why would performance be any different? The iPad 1's A4 is slightly higher clocked and they both carry a measly 256MB of RAM. Seems like they'd both be equally disadvantaged.

Einbroch

Banned
Wow... some of you are quite cheap. This game seems to have quite the content and isn't your typical iOS cheap (in many meanings) title, but you can't pay $6.99 for it, gotta wait until it's $2.99...? How are some of you guys able to afford PS3/360/Wii titles? :p

No idea. You either have to have an iPhone with a data plan, a $500+ iPad, or a $200+ iPod to play this...and you can't spend an extra four bucks? One thing if you don't think it's a good game, but these games are EASILY worth the same as the $15 XBLA games.

Soon we'll see "Not free? Not worth it".

Medalion

Banned
Why would performance be any different? The iPad 1's A4 is slightly higher clocked and they both carry a measly 256MB of RAM. Seems like they'd both be equally disadvantaged.

Hmmm, you're right, I dunno why I thought the specs were better for some reason, I always just assumed. Oh well I can play it on both anyways

Mik2121

OP updated, anything else I should add? I will add the price on the download button as soon as it gets released, and I will add it to the IF button too as soon as it stops being on sale (unless it stays like that for a while, then I guess I'll add it to it too.

I shall be buying it on day 1 :)

From the sound of it the game design is better since its not just replaying the same thing over and over until you are powerful enough to beat the end boss, the improved graphics is just a bonus

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
By far the best game on iOS. If more games were this quality I'd buy more games on my iPad.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Have you tried it on iPad 1 as well? I'm curious what the performance is like.

Nice thread Mik

I've played it a lot on an iPad 1. It runs just fine. Very smooth, although it has crashed sometimes. But it was a near-final build and not the shipping build, so that might be why.

I think some of the graphical effects were turned off on an iPad 1 but I haven't seen it running side by side with an iPad 2 to compare. We'll probably do a side by side comparison on IGN next week, in fact.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wow, chill the fuck out people it was a joke.

I won't buy this until I upgrade to either an iPad or a newer iPod Touch anyways.

Yoshiya

I've played it a lot on an iPad 1. It runs just fine. Very smooth, although it has crashed sometimes. But it was a near-final build and not the shipping build, so that might be why.

I think some of the graphical effects were turned off on an iPad 1 but I haven't seen it running side by side with an iPad 2 to compare. We'll probably do a side by side comparison on IGN next week, in fact.

fuckyeah decent performance, will buy day 1.

GeekyDad

:)

Well, to be fair, once you get past the amazing visuals, the first game is pretty basic. It's an excellent idea for iOS gameplay, but I'm glad I only paid $3 for it. I think I would have felt a little ripped off at $6. There's no argument the visuals are out of sight on an iPhone, but the game has limited appeal. I'll keep coming back to it for a while, but only in small doses.

Mik2121

:)

Well, to be fair, once you get past the amazing visuals, the first game is pretty basic. It's an excellent idea for iOS gameplay, but I'm glad I only paid $3 for it. I think I would have felt a little ripped off at $6. There's no argument the visuals are out of sight on an iPhone, but the game has limited appeal. I'll keep coming back to it for a while, but only in small doses.

Yeah, I think it will be a while until we get a game as deep as, uhm.. Skyrim. Even with low quality level visuals. Most "indies" just don't spend the time making long games, and most people wouldn't play them anyway, unless on the iPad, and with really good controls.

But I think Infinity Blade still has more content than your average iOS title, and Infinity Blade II seems to have even more, which is always a good thing.

I will be playing it on both my iPhone 4s and iPad (4s for the visuals, iPad because I wanna see it better than on the small 4s screen). Also, CHAIR should make a model viewer like Skyrim. They got all the models with really neat textures, let us rotate them around! :p

hyp

been playing IB1 to get a refresher before IB2 and holy shit, i slept on a lot of the new content. gotta play some catch up now before the 1st.

Mike M

Nick N
I loved the shit out of Infinity Blade 1 until I got the most expensive ring in the game (Forgot what it was called, had the highest levels Spark, Dark, and Heal on it I think), and the gesture recognition system was completely incapable of interpreting what spell you were TRYING to cast. It was nigh impossible to make Heal come out when you actually wanted it to.

They never fixed it : (

GeekyDad

I loved the shit out of Infinity Blade 1 until I got the most expensive ring in the game (Forgot what it was called, had the highest levels Spark, Dark, and Heal on it I think), and the gesture recognition system was completely incapable of interpreting what spell you were TRYING to cast. It was nigh impossible to make Heal come out when you actually wanted it to.

They never fixed it : (

Haven't experienced any issues with casting spells, but there have been some problems with responsiveness when trying to dodge, and I'm not talking about a flailing reaction on my part that causes me to miss -- I'm talking pressing the dodge icon and nothing. The spells, though, seem pretty liberal. Never problems healing, though the game will try to interpret a spell if I accidentally input a symbol for a spell that can't be cast with the ring I'm currently wearing.

Mike M

Nick N
Haven't experienced any issues with casting spells, but there have been some problems with responsiveness when trying to dodge, and I'm not talking about a flailing reaction on my part that causes me to miss -- I'm talking pressing the dodge icon and nothing. The spells, though, seem pretty liberal. Never problems healing, though the game will try to interpret a spell if I accidentally input a symbol for a spell that can't be cast with the ring I'm currently wearing.

The spell problem was only with this one particular ring. The spell system worked fine otherwise, since this was the only ring that had both spark and heal on the same ring, but when given the option, the system would read the "heal" motion as "spark" pretty much 100% of the time.

This is easily one of those games worth paying £5 for, I paid that price about 5 years ago for a block breaker game on my old nokia.

Shearie

Isn't this gonna be one of the few games where you can play the same save file on multiple devices through iCloud?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
2 characters died but I almost killed the Gold King. Fun game, although I have a feeling that it's a bit short (if it ends after killing the King).

parasight

Bah, my Phone has been full for a while so I don't know how I'm going to fit this on there. I guess I should probably uninstall the first IB. Hopefully that's enough.

Yoshiya

Bah, my Phone has been full for a while so I don't know how I'm going to fit this on there. I guess I should probably uninstall the first IB. Hopefully that's enough.

I had to delete it a while ago - is there any bonus or carry-over between the two at all?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

wat
This post doesn'f make sense

___
Mik you should add supported platforms, release date, price, IAP details and so on to the OP. Maybe some of those you've already updated, haven't checked properly since the first couple of hours the thread went live.
Other than thaf I quite like it!

Mik2121

wat
This post doesn'f make sense

___
Mik you should add supported platforms, release date, price, IAP details and so on to the OP. Maybe some of those you've already updated, haven't checked properly since the first couple of hours the thread went live.
Other than thaf I quite like it!

Hey Dash! I added the supported platforms right below the download buttons, and on small italic text, the release date. But I guess I will update the download button with the date on it, instead. And maybe also the price.

As for IAP, I don't think they've announced anything yet? I will check around and see if there's anything.

I'm glad you like the OP! Tried to keep it simple :p

I finished the game this morning and started reading the short novel (about halfway through, it's decent) and I think I'll purchase the game at launch now. Kinda hooked, don't know why.

GDJustin

Chair Creative Director Donald Mustard and I have a 7 and a half minute commentary showing off IB2's biggest new features - all direct-feed footage. Heavy weapons and dual weapons both shown off, as well as a first look at one of the game's new set-piece locations:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/11/28/infinity-blade-2-hands-on-commentary

Sorry, no Youtube link yet but it'll be up on YT tomorrow.
This was done off-the-cuff in one take with no prep or editing so no complaining about our voiceovers.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Granted those were just two example fights, but I like how the first fight was "this is a brand new enemy" and queue animation sets patterns ripped straight from IB1. :p

Stoked for the game nonetheless!

GDJustin

I think he was mistaken. You'll still see the standard "acrobatic / standard / heavy" enemies from the original, but there are new enemy types as well.

GeekyDad

A little off-topic perhaps, but this thread needs an injection. I just finally got around to checking out the negative bloodlines in the original IB, and wow, is that dark gear OP. I am ripping through dudes with that crazy sword.

As an aside, someone in the iOS-apps thread recommended I shut down and restart my phone, and sure enough, it fixed my crashing issues with the game. Now, I'm more excited than ever for IB2, since there's real hope I can play the game without the same issues I've been experiencing up 'til now.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The biggest gripe I have with the first game is the terribly ugly font and the bareness of the Victory and Level Up screens. White background with butt-ugly text? Yuck.

GDJustin

Just beat the game <3

It's really long - probably 5-6 hours, compared to the original's ~30 minutes or so. The length is a bit misleading because the game is designed to be looped through several times, just in a smarter way than IB1.

There are branching paths, so you'll fight ~4 intro fights, choose left or right, work your way to that path's boss, and either succeed or fail at killing him. Then you're booted back to the start and can go through again, taking a different path.

To put it another way, the original launched with I think ~10 "combat locations" (more were added later), and this game probably has 30-40?

Regarding the ending - no spoilers - just wanna say the game has a really great, really tough NG+ mode. So there's some excellent replay value here beyond just maxing out equipment. That was a nice surprise (and is an excellent argument for why reviewers should have to BEAT the games they review, even long after they're sure they've played enough to form an opinion).

Anyway, my review will be online TOMMORROW (Wednesday) at 9AM PST / 6AM EST, on IGN.com

Top Bottom