• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Blade |OT| Free Updates TF2 Style, First Update Next Week

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
wURAl.jpg

^^

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Judging from the screenshots, you can either upgrade the look of the armor or change armors, which is pretty cool if i am right.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
neojubei said:
Judging from the screenshots, you can either upgrade the look of the armor or change armors, which is pretty cool if i am right.
Yeah they show an armor store in the trailer.

Pastry

Banned
A single play through of the game is actually really short. IGN said your first play through will take about 30 minutes but then you are resurrected to fight him in the future when the boss comes back. You start the game over as the same character you beat the boss as (same armor, level, etc) with all of the enemies increasing in strength. The IGN previews explain everything pretty well.

Yeah, kinda sucks - they call it an RPG, but according to IGN it's not, it's a sword-fighting game with exp and skills. Still could be fun, but they make this beautiful highly detailed world and then don't let you explore it.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Dreamwriter said:
Yeah, kinda sucks - they call it an RPG, but according to IGN it's not, it's a sword-fighting game with exp and skills. Still could be fun, but they make this beautiful highly detailed world and then don't let you explore it.
$5.99.

Karak

Archos question-
Somewhat related. Does anyone have experience with the Archos? Any version? I like their size and look and something like this would be a blast on that.

Lonely1 said:
The fact that it's a cheap game doesn't make it good that the game doesn't meet people's expectations by calling it an RPG and releasing a demo that's all about exploring. If they had made this a real RPG, they could have charged $15 and sold a ton, maybe even $20, though that's pushing it on iPhone since most iPhone users are cheapskates. Heck, it's being published by EA, who isn't afraid of launching a game at $10.

Karak said:
Archos question-
Somewhat related. Does anyone have experience with the Archos? Any version? I like their size and look and something like this would be a blast on that.
How is that related in any way, shape or form? This is an iPhone and iPad game, it won't run on Archos.

Karak

Dreamwriter said:
How is that related in any way, shape or form? This is an iPhone and iPad game, it won't run on Archos.
Ah that explains it. Thought this also ran on Android Thanks!.
Also because I keep seeing Archos in the same discussions as iPhone and iPad so to me it was related...or many others seemed to think so since they talked about them together at times.

Foob

Tobor said:
Cannot wait!

And supposedly their porting Shadow Complex next. :D
why does everyone keep saying this?

all I've seen is the touch arcade interview where they say they don't know how such a port would work control-wise

Luigiv

Sweet, sweet! Just got my brand new iPod Touch a few minutes ago* :D.

*bought it during the Black Friday sales, arrived today.

Minsc

Gold Member
TheBranca18 said:
iPhone 4 battery will last thirty minutes playing this game.

Good thing the game's only 30 minutes long! :) Actually since I did a thorough test on Epic Citadel, I can say with confidence the iPhone 4 battery will last almost exactly 4 hours and 15 minutes while playing this game.

mescalineeyes said:
half hour?! :/

Definitely disappointing, but if it is intended to be played multiple times, not really horrible. How long does a game of Tetris last? Not really my ideal type of game, but I will check it out for the visuals alone if it doesn't get horrendous reviews/impressions.

Minsc said:
Definitely disappointing, but if it is intended to be played multiple times, not really horrible. How long does a game of Tetris last? Not really my ideal type of game, but I will check it out for the visuals alone if it doesn't get horrendous reviews/impressions.

I know, but I guess I expected the wrong thing from this game. I was hoping for some story/exploration.

Then again, Chair only had 6 months to develop the game, so I should've seen this coming. Still annoyed.

Haunted

Great technological achievement for an iOS game.

mescalineeyes said:
I know, but I guess I expected the wrong thing from this game. I was hoping for some story/exploration.

Then again, Chair only had 6 months to develop the game, so I should've seen this coming. Still annoyed.
Think of it more as a tech showcase than a full-fledged game.

I can understand why it's cheap and short, if you spend too much money on a game and it doesn't sell as intended then you wasted a lot of time and money making it, if this does well i'm sure epic would make a sequel which becomes much longer and in depth because they know there is demand.

Look at Rage mobile, it's a short shooter based on earning score, while it looks great it's also only £1.29 and has just a few stages, these games are some of the first of their kind from big studios.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Haunted said:
Great technological achievement for an iOS game.

Think of it more as a tech showcase than a full-fledged game.
let's hope you're wrong, there can be a lot of game to be had out of a well designed short burst game with tons of replayability.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The fact that it's a cheap game doesn't make it good that the game doesn't meet people's expectations by calling it an RPG and releasing a demo that's all about exploring.
I was under the impression that you COULD freely explore. There may not be many places to go, but you should be able to wander around. Where is it stated that you could not?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Like a swipe-control Punch-Out type game with RPG stats and equipment, it seems. Sounds pretty cool so far.

I wonder if there's anything like The Last Ranker in there as far as the feeling up upward progression, since one-on-one battles remind me of that a bit.

i find it funny you people going =/ over half our, the only game i have spent over 5 hours continuously was Game Dev Story, and that was me waking up playing the game nonstop

gamevideos doesn't load what a piece of shit

lucius

Minsc said:
Good thing the game's only 30 minutes long! :) Actually since I did a thorough test on Epic Citadel, I can say with confidence the iPhone 4 battery will last almost exactly 4 hours and 15 minutes while playing this game.

Doesn't Apple even say IPhone 4 battery lasts less than 3 hours while 3d gaming?

Maybe I read wrong and I haven't really timed my 3d play time with my iPhone4 but it is very short compared to even my psp.

dark10x said:
I was under the impression that you COULD freely explore. There may not be many places to go, but you should be able to wander around. Where is it stated that you could not?
IGN said so, and if you watch the video, it shows it too - the best you can do is move the camera around a little bit looking around without moving, seeing if there are any bags or treasure chests hidden just offscreen. Or click on a door to go to the weapon's shop, or the next area if you've beaten the current opponent.

YagizY

Drinky Crow said:
uh, they've been pretty clear from the get-go that this was gonna be an arcade-style, crossed swords-esque experience.

I for one do not want to cross swords with anyone.

Wanace

Downloading now based on hype from this thread and the iPod/iPad thread, hope I'm not disappointed, but for $5.99 it's worth a try. Looks amazing anyway.

Goldmund

kqXZXl.jpg

I can't say why, maybe it's the proportions, or the fact he's wearing a helmet while checking the chest, but: this is the funniest thing I've seen all day.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Infinity Blade is pretty fun. Reminds me of a medieval Punch-Out!! (although I guess Crossed Swords might be a better description). The controls work well and allow you to slash in different directions, block, dodge, and parry attacks. There's no virtual d-pads or large buttons getting in the way, so you can concentrate on the action.

And yes, the game is extremely linear. After you defeat an enemy, you can look around to find treasures or potions, or access the game shop or inventory/upgrade stats screen, but that's it. Which is fine...this is not an RPG. It's more akin to beat-em-ups/fighting games than role playing games.

I figured Infinity Blade was going to be nothing more than iPhone eye-candy, and was pleasantly surprised.

Top Bottom