• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Blade |OT| Free Updates TF2 Style, First Update Next Week

LCfiner

I'm on the third bloodline right now. It's really quite fun. The super punch out comparisons make sense. It's all about pattern matching and dodging. And the basic player progression with new swords, armor, skills, etc works as intended. I liked being able to choose to save cash and get a kick ass sword instead of upgrading smaller elements of my armor. Simple choices but they work.

My one big gripe, playing on the iPad, is that the hit targets for dodging are too small! They should stretch further up and down the screen. I've missed some dodges because my thumbs have been off by half an inch or so. Not good on a touchscreen with so much space.

I'm not yet sure if I'll consider the game as much fun on bloodline number 20 but I'm not tiring of the game yet.

Doodis

Neuromancer said:
Will buy and probably not play much, such is the fate of most of my iPhone games. Still, looks so damn pretty!
Seriously, why have I spent so much money on iPhone games that I never play? It's ridiculous.

Also, just bought this. :lol

Tobor

Punch Out meets Demon Souls can't be said enough.

I'm guessing once you've mastered an item you should replace it immediately so as not to lose potential XP? I just messed up and played a battle with a mastered helm.

Fusebox

Banned
Level 12 atm and no signs of slowing down, I've got some Item++ pieces so the loot is coming thick and fast but I still haven't taken down the final boss.

Heres my guy going Kratos on some monsters ass...

5245481073_05748d2667_b.jpg

Drinky Crow said:
uh, they've been pretty clear from the get-go that this was gonna be an arcade-style, crossed swords-esque experience.
No, from the get-go they've been calling it an RPG, and released a demo that was all about free-roaming exploration.

kairu

Dreamwriter said:
No, from the get-go they've been calling it an RPG, and released a demo that was all about free-roaming exploration.

To be fair, the demo was "Epic Citadel" and was to show the engine. It really had no direct relationship to Infinity Blade.

Vyer

Dreamwriter said:

That wasn't a demo, or at least not a game demo. It was a demonstration of the game engine.

Anyhow, Punch Out + Demon's Souls is just about the greatest description of anything ever.

I dunno, at the press conference they made it pretty clear it was a demo of the game, most definitely a direct relationship. They never mentioned "Epic Citadel" once, they never said anything about a tech demo, but everything they showed except for one battle was from Epic Citadel, even the movement controls.

Epic Games said:
Today we're introducing a new game currently in development, it's codename "Project Sword". Project Sword is a gorgeous action-packed role-playing adventure, and it's filled with epic sword battles.
Directly after saying that, they started showing Epic Citadel.
Epic Games said:
I'm in the citadel, a vast environment filled with enemies, treasure, and the weapons I'll need to take down the legendary god-king.
All the while he's walking around in what's clearly Epic Citadel, exactly as released a few weeks ago, with no enemies anywhere. They then show off a two player battle in one of the Epic Citadel areas from an invite to show off how it works with Game Center.

Synless

Fusebox said:
Oh come on... that whole one-man-anti-iOS-defence-force-shtick is getting tiring man.
I don't think he's hating at all. He's right that there are going to be gameplay sacrifices when using only touch screen. Some games it works great.....others not so much.

So what does mastering an item do again? Do you keep the stats after changing items? I tapped my way through the explanation too fast. :lol

mik

mik is unbeatable
I would love to see an RPG done with the engine, but I'm having a tremendous amount of fun with the game. Great atmosphere. Addictive leveling system. Entertaining, if familiar, action. More than my six bucks worth for sure.

glaurung

Blasted through the first bloodline last night, this one is definitely a keeper.

The style of the graphics seems to get old quickly and there does not seem to be enough craziness with the weapons that are available. I also found that picking up stuff during the cutscenes can be a bit finicky.

Otherwise it is a very nicely done and enjoyable product. The battle system takes a little getting used to, especially since the game difficulty ramps up pretty effing vertically with every sequential playthrough.

One real problem: it is too short in terms of a single bloodline.

Kuran

Banned
numble said:

Not hating, just biased as are most people here. I have an iPod and iPad, but cannot bring myself to enjoy them as gaming devices..

And in this case passionately biased since the curve tends to lean towards people wanting the entire portable industry to cater to 1$ cellphone experiences, when at the same time I am being astonished by the (too overlooked here) Monster Hunter franchise (Portable 3rd).

LCfiner

Kuran said:
Not hating, just biased as are most people here. I have an iPod and iPad, but cannot bring myself to enjoy them as gaming devices..

And in this case passionately biased since the curve tends to lean towards people wanting the entire portable industry to cater to 1$ cellphone experiences, when at the same time I am being astonished by the (too overlooked here) Monster Hunter franchise (Portable 3rd).
Yeah, you hatin'

Anyway, back on topic. Got to level 12 and started bloodline 4. I finally got past the first section of the fight against the god king where it pauses for a second, but then got my ass whooped right after. At this rate, I'll have avenged my father's father's father, etc... In around 200 years.

Kuran said:

So how about shutting the fuck up and let other people who CAN bring themselves to enjoying them as gaming devices do just that.

dream

What kind of battery hit are you all seeing? The game seems a lot kinder to my iPhone 4's battery than I had expected.

LCfiner

dream said:
What kind of battery hit are you all seeing? The game seems a lot kinder to my iPhone 4's battery than I had expected.
Well, my iPad battery has dropped 40% after playing for almost two hours and browsing Gaf for an hour.

Brightnes at 33%

That's relatively heavy battery drain for an iPad playing a game. it'd be dead in around 5 hours

RPS37

All I want to say is that I really like this game. I wish I could show the little kid version of me this back when I played Snake.

Beat big baddie on the third bloodline. Interesting ending as...

you go up to homeboy's throne after stabbing him with the Infinity Blade, then you tap an electronic iDevice on the throne which activates a holographic machine showing you what appears to be the planet you're on. Twist!

But now I'm on bloodline 4 so... off to see what happens next. Considering the name of the game, I'm not surprised.
:lol

Got it, Punchout with swords is a good way of describing it. Those who bemoan it for "only" being 30mins don't understand the game at all!

It's good! I like the little periods between battles as well, where you look around the environment like a point & click adventure as well. Nice way to break up the action. Combat is fast and fun, and parrying is pretty tough.

For those waiting for an iphone game that has been built from the ground up for the device that actually takes advantage of, and benefits from, non stylus touchscreen only controls (rather than fighting them like most other iOS games do) this is the game for you (it also helps that its a good game in its own right! :D)

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
So how have you guys been distributing your stats? I've been putting most of them to attack but now that I'm in
Bloodline 3
I'm like a glass cannon.

Jangaroo said:
So how have you guys been distributing your stats? I've been putting most of them to attack but now that I'm in
Bloodline 3
I'm like a glass cannon.
I got the Thorneblade in Bloodline 3. Since it heals you with whatever damage you dish, having a high attack power is a great combination. It helped me beat the Infinity Blade dude in the end.

Jangaroo

Man one of the guys I was fighting right now was whooping my butt since he had that sword I think. I should go buy it.
Edit: I just bought it. Hope I can beat the big bad this time.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Download going too slow, can't wait to see this. If it animates the way I hope it does, the graphics in this thing could rival that of some console games, at least in some aspects.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The clanging swords and roaring monsters sound great in this game, as do the little melodic pieces that set the atmosphere for each battle.

Other than some slowness with three simultaneous characters on the screen during the opening cut-scene, the framerate has been quite good on my iPhone 4. Battery drain has been pretty low, too.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Restoring instantly back and forth between Infinity Blade and Neogaf just highlights how impressive of a package these phones are...

Mik2121

Damn!. At first I was playing it thinking it looked pretty but wasn't all that 'fun'. But after getting through all the 'tutorials' it's really engaging. As some of you guys have said, this is some sort of Punch Out + Demon's Soul, and it's so awesome.

I'm level 9 right now, just starting my 3rd bloodline. I'm changing all my equipment as soon as it reaches 'Mastered'. That's the best way, isn't it?.

Can't wait for more environments and equipment to get my hands into (though there's already a lot of equipment, but still..)

Luigiv

Just played through the first 1.2 bloodlines. Very pretty and decent combat engine. Could have used an extra few months of development though. The "quest" feels way too short (would have been nice to see my guy traverse through a bit more of that bloody giant tower before reaching the first boss) and the presentation is a little on the weak side (*screen fades to white* "Victory!" *screen fades back*).

RiverBed said:
Will there be an Android version of this game?
Unlikely, but Tegra II powered Android Phones will get games using the same engine at least.

RiverBed said:
Will there be an Android version of this game?

There is thanks and hugs to Apple and Steve Jobs in the credits for "helping make the platform sing." so maybe there is some deal there that would stop things.

Also, the engine Epic used was built for use on iOS, so it would be as easy of a port as the other games the appear on both platforms.

Jangaroo

I finally beat the fourth boss on my fourth bloodline. The ending didn't make much sense to me.

Jangaroo said:
I finally beat the fourth boss on my fourth bloodline. The ending didn't make much sense to me.

Yeah it was weird. I think there was supposed to be a twist that the game was set in the future (instead of the past it looks to be from the style). I have no idea what the blown up moon/planet that was shown in the hologram means though. Maybe he is our guys homeworld. It will probably be expanded on in the update

Top Bottom