• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Initiative to legalize marijuana in California added to ballot in November

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-pot-initiative-snap--20160628-snap-story.html

The initiative would allow adults ages 21 and older to possess, transport and use up to an ounce of cannabis for recreational purposes and would allow individuals to grow as many as six plants.

Opposition is led by the Coalition for Responsible Drug Policies, made up of law enforcement and health groups including the California Police Chiefs Assn., the California Hospital Assn. and the California State Sheriffs' Assn. The groups warn legalization will lead to more drugged-driving and allow dealers of harder drugs to have a role in the new industry.

Rosales noted that under current law, convicted methamphetamine and heroin dealers are banned from being involved in the medical marijuana industry, but the initiative overturns that ban and lets those felons obtain licenses to sell recreational marijuana.

Read about the details here: https://ballotpedia.org/California_..._Tax_Adult_Use_of_Marijuana_Initiative_(2016)

I don't smoke but the reason I support legalization is that a guy that has a couple joints can get more prison time than a man who rapes a woman. It's been proven that the war on drugs is racial injustice.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I think the age of 21 is an important sticking point until more research is done. Smoking should be 21 as it is too.

I'd vote for it, but a legalized tax and sell system is more effective at keeping it out of the hands of the underage.

mreddie

giphy.gif

inner-G

Banned
5 states would be 10% of the country.

We're getting there!

Better than Washingtons law since it allows all adults to cultivate.

I think the age of 21 is an important sticking point until more research is done. Smoking should be 21 as it is too.

I'd vote for it, but a legalized tax and sell system is more effective at keeping it out of the hands of the underage.

Didn't Brown just sign this?

Chris R

5 states would be 10% of the country.

We're getting there!

Better than Washingtons law since it allows all adults to cultivate.

Wait, Washington doesn't allow home grows? Alaska does, but we've been TERRIBLE in every other regard to the law. Still ZERO stores open and we voted the same time as Oregon lol

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Hopefully this gives NY the kick in that dick needed to legalize shit. Though I expect some other state like Rhode Island to do it first and be flooded with cash from surrounding states.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

No states that have it legalized let people under 21 smoke.

How much weed do people usually smoke in one sitting? An ounce of weed seems little, but I don't know how that actually translates
An ounce of weed is a lot of weed.

yDY8jq5.jpg

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Not sure why they are trying to allow convicted meth dealers to get licenses. Seems like an easy attack point for no gain.

Luschient

This doesn't happen if you don't go vote for it Cali. Don't sit at home on election day and assume it will pass.

TheFatOne

Going to be an interesting time come November as several states are going to have marijuana legalization on their ballots. Colorado may have really just been the first domino. Which is a great thing. My hope is that one day marijuana is federally legal, and that we can stop this war on drugs that has been an utter failure. Ending the war on drugs may just be wishful thinking though.

Is there any hope that assuming CA passes this law the whole banks not accepting Marijuana money thing starts getting resolved?

I remember reading that a lot of legal MJ shops end up having ridiculous amounts of cash because no bank will deal with them. You can't make an industry without support of the financial sector

TheFatOne

How much weed do people usually smoke in one sitting? An ounce of weed seems little, but I don't know how that actually translates

Depends on tolerance. Anywhere from .3 to .5 of a gram is normal for an average smoker, but it really depends on tolerance. An ounce is 28 grams.
Is there any hope that assuming CA passes this law the whole banks not accepting Marijuana money thing starts getting resolved?

I remember reading that a lot of legal MJ shops end up having ridiculous amounts of cash because no bank will deal with them. You can't make an industry without support of the financial sector

From what I understand it has to be federally legal in order for banks to come in, and we are a long long way from that.

inner-G

Banned
Wait, Washington doesn't allow home grows? Alaska does, but we've been TERRIBLE in every other regard to the law. Still ZERO stores open and we voted the same time as Oregon lol
WA only allows home growing for medical patients and their providers. Recreational stuff in stores comes from larger, licensed producers.

Ecto311

Oh man I remember voting for it here in Colorado years ago. I didn't even know it was on the ballot and when I seen it I looked around like I was being punked. I asked this old lady over the blinders of the booth if she had the question too. She just made a face at me and looked down. Checked the box and now there are legal weed stores just like liquor stores. Plus all the good that came from it.

Weird thing is I talk to a ton of people for work here and it is either 100% no I hate it being legal or 100% fuck yeah we did it!. I still don't understand the no way mentality with all the proven good that comes with legalizing it. The shit thing is all the dipshits moving here (looking at you texas license plate having bastards) and fuckin up the roads. Weird side effect is all the free weed at the airports in the early days. People thought they could take it home and can't so they would give it away at DIA or springs airport.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
As long as it allows everyone an opportunity to get into the business and not just those multi millionaires looking to pad out their already huge retirement funds I'll vote yes

Colorado, Washington and Oregon would disagree with this.

Eh I guess I'd have to see the current numbers but depending how widespread banks refusing to service Grow Ops is, I'd be hesitant to suggest it's a healthy industry with long term growth/stability without financial servicing involved.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Eh I guess I'd have to see the current numbers but depending how widespread banks refusing to service Grow Ops is, I'd be hesitant to suggest it's a healthy industry with long term growth/stability without financial servicing involved.

In January, Oregon began collecting a 25% tax from recreational marijuana sales. In one month alone, marijuana sales from the state's 309 dispensaries were projected to bring in roughly $14 million.

The newly implemented sales tax has assumedly made the state of Oregon extremely pleased, considering that over the month of February they reported a tax revenue of $3.48 million.

These cannabis sales aren’t just filling the pockets of the growers and government either, in some states they are helping a worthy cause.

For instance in Oregon, 40% of state tax revenue goes toward education, while another 20% is set to help with mental health and drug services. Additonally close to 2,200 jobs will be created in the industry during 2016
https://www.merryjane.com/news/cann...y-will-states-bring-in-from-marijuana-in-2016

The industry is huge and will only even out from here.

inner-G

Banned
As long as they have security for handling the cash, most places don't really need to borrow money after they get started.

Payroll, etc. is the tricky part. Here they all have ATMs and deal only in cash.

Subtle

Let's be honest people. If you want to smoke in California, it's extremely easy. Now we can make money out of it

Let's be honest people. If you want to smoke in California, it's extremely easy. Now we can make money out of it
When I got my card it honestly felt like the doctor was doing the absolute bare minimum in order to just get through as many people as quickly as possible, I think I was in his office for less than two minutes. It's ridiculous.

antonz

As poorly written as it is the medical marijuana law is basically already legal marijuana. The state just wants their share of the money now.

As long as they have security for handling the cash, most places don't really need to borrow money after they get started.

Payroll, etc. is the tricky part. Here they all have ATMs and deal only in cash.

I guess with that level of business they've figured out ways to operate without banks at least for now so hopefully that can continue okay until we get something passed federally

Xe4

Banned
Good. Less people in jail is a good thing, especially for a product no worse than cigarettes (and actually better, cause people usually smoke less Marijuana tham cigarettes).

Chichikov

I guess with that level of business they've figured out ways to operate without banks at least for now so hopefully that can continue okay until we get something passed federally
They're doing fine on the financing side of things, for the most part at least. The biggest issue is that they can't take credit-cards which makes them a cash only business with a ton of cash on hand which turns the whole thing way sketchier and riskier than it needs to be.
But to be honest, if the US had a half decent e-payment system in place that would've been a non-issue.

Sky Chief

Not sure why they are trying to allow convicted meth dealers to get licenses. Seems like an easy attack point for no gain.

They're not. All licenses are reviewed and given extremely selectively. They would never give a license to someone like that but the law doesn't specifically say that they're prohibited.

Sky Chief

Now that licensing is being given out credit unions are giving business accounts to licensed cannabis companies in California under MMRSA.

Tagyhag

Good, don't smoke pot but this should be legal considered how well it's been doing in other states.

Cops just don't want less potential people on their quotas.

We'll get there eventually, but the earlier the better.

There are so many ballot measures that will probably affect the life of Californians this November, holy crap.

There is the LA metro expansion (accelerates many of the under construction transit projects and starts new lines, and the tax has no sunset provisions), affordable housing (requires LA builders a certain percentage of below market rate, something like 15% to 20% I believe) and now this.

There are so many ballot measures that will probably affect the life of Californians this November, holy crap.

There is the LA metro expansion (accelerates many of the under construction transit projects and starts new lines, and the tax has no sunset provisions), affordable housing (requires LA builders a certain percentage of below market rate, something like 15% to 20% I believe) and now this.

Are those state wide, county wide, or city wide?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
CA eyeing CO's tax revenue jackpot on weed like "lemme get a hit of that shit."

Seriously, if California does this they're gonna make bank and the door for country wise spread of legalization is gonna get swung open wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom