• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Initiative to legalize marijuana in California added to ballot in November

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please god make it happen, I never ask you for shit.

I'm tired of feeling like a criminal, and it's a much much better way to treat depression, at least in my case.

FZZ

Banned
Soon brehs

thcL53D.png

bundaberg

Banned
How much weed do people usually smoke in one sitting? An ounce of weed seems little, but I don't know how that actually translates

a shit load. for me at least. When I was daily smoking a 1/4 ounce lasted 3 months give or take. Now that I only smoke weekends...shiiiiiit. Like 9 months. I'd like never get through an ounce.

inner-G

Banned
The way this proposal is worded, is there a real possession limit? Like at your house?

It says use, posses and transport up to one ounce

6 plants would get you way more than an ounce. I wonder if it means you can only transport and ounce at one time, but if you grew a pound plant, you could keep what you grew at your house.

I mean, in California weed is practically legal already.

1. Under 1 oz is already decriminalized. It's just a fine and honestly, unless you're underage, cops don't give a fuck anymore if it's a small amount of weed. They may take it from you but you won't get booked. Even minorities!

2. Anyone can get a legal medical card. And I mean anyone. The only hoop is to have a doctor write it and get your certificate. And once you have it, you can have your weed delivered to your door.

Of course, I'm in favor of the law because there should be no real hoops. I just want to clarify that even though California has "fallen behind," in the legal sense after being the first to legalize it medically, it's de facto legal in Cali under and ounce right now. More costly but legal.

There's already a 15% tax in Los Angeles on it, as well.

I'll be voting on this come November but I haven't really made up my mind which way to vote yet. I don't use marijuana myself and I don't plan to use it, so I don't personally care about it. I also don't see anything wrong with the status quo.

But maybe I just haven't heard the case for it. Is there an argument as to why it would be beneficial to society to legalize? I've heard the argument that the punishment is too harsh and I agree with that, but changing the punishment and outright legalizing it can be different issues.

Kas

a shit load. for me at least. When I was daily smoking a 1/4 ounce lasted 3 months give or take. Now that I only smoke weekends...shiiiiiit. Like 9 months. I'd like never get through an ounce.
I can easily crush a quarter in a long weekend if I'm not careful. And that's with smoking with another person.

mr stroke

I'll be voting on this come November but I haven't really made up my mind which way to vote yet. I don't use marijuana myself and I don't plan to use it, so I don't personally care about it. I also don't see anything wrong with the status quo.

But maybe I just haven't heard the case for it. Is there an argument as to why it would be beneficial to society to legalize? I've heard the argument that the punishment is too harsh and I agree with that, but changing the punishment and outright legalizing it can be different issues.

tax dollars

bundaberg

Banned
I can easily crush a quarter in a long weekend if I'm not careful. And that's with smoking with another person.

how you smoke it?

I used to use a very nice bong and low tolerance and / or only desire to be nicely stoned generally in the later hours of the day.

now I use a SSV only. One medium bowl in that lasts me the weekend ha. Again, it's probably cause I just like a general buzz at night.

Kas

how you smoke it?

I used to use a very nice bong and low tolerance and / or only desire to be nicely stoned generally in the later hours of the day.

now I use a SSV only. One medium bowl in that lasts me the weekend ha. Again, it's probably cause I just like a general buzz at night.
I have a pretty high tolerance, so it'll take a bowl and half to get me where I want to be on weekend day, and thats from a bong.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

40% of the taxes collected from marijuana sales in Oregon go to education. That adds up.

Vote yes for me, I'm not allowed.

The way I see it even if the punishments were reduced, those affected will still disproportionately be minorities.

I'd love to see it %100 legal (any amount).

Subtle

When I got my card it honestly felt like the doctor was doing the absolute bare minimum in order to just get through as many people as quickly as possible, I think I was in his office for less than two minutes. It's ridiculous.

Yeah the way we do it now is a joke. They hand cards out like cotton candy

I don't like this getting reversed: "convicted methamphetamine and heroin dealers are banned from being involved in the medical marijuana industry".

Or maybe I am not thinking this part all the way through.

I'm all for legalization. Do it!

inner-G

Banned

If nothing else, it can replace opioid painkillers for some people. Those directly cause deaths and there is a huge black market for them, too.

There's also:
Tax revenue
Direct savings on enforcement/prosecution/jailing
Not giving people a criminal record

Even more:
It is a renewable fiber and very versatile plant
Relieves ocular pressure
Cannabinoids are being found to help in neurodegenerative disorders, act as a neuroprotectanat and may have anti-cancer properties - the endocannabinoid system plays into apoptosis (scheduled cell death) and can tell cells to die instead of multiplying into a mass

I don't like this getting reversed: "convicted methamphetamine and heroin dealers are banned from being involved in the medical marijuana industry".

It's kind of weird. Would you second guess it if they were bartending instead of budtending though?

It's good I think. Felons have a hard time getting jobs in many fields. I'd rather have them growing/selling herb legitimately than going back to selling hard drugs because they can't find jobs.

Subtle

I'm all for legalization. Do it!

A big criticism against how Colorado did it was how local, mainly black, dealers were put out of business bc they weren't allowed to/weren't able to sell (specific reason I forgot why) while all the wealthier white folk profited. This seems like it allows local dealers to reform a bit and come out of the shadows.

v1lla21

No, now people won't buy my prototype shit with seeds and stems. V1lla's bammer jammer is what the kids call it. :(

Piggus

Considering how much tax revenue states are getting from this already, all I can do is laugh at people who are against it.

Here in Oregon as a non-weed smoker, literally nothing about life has changed other than now there are a few weed shops around and the other day I saw a girl in a flower dress smoking a bong by the side of the road lol. The stuff isn't hurting anyone and it's benefiting schools, mental health programs, etc. This stuff is also really helping out my grandpa, whose medication was causing him to lose his appetite and in turn lose a very unhealthy amount of weight. He's using concentrated marijuana droplets now, which has brought back his appetite and helping him get back to a healthy weight.

Jzero

I would prefer a law where employers couldn't drug check you for soft stuff like marijuana. Responsible people don't smoke during work hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom