• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interesting Austrailian Miyamoto Interview

Sorry of old...

http://smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/28/1090694015937.html?oneclick=true

"In the realm of entertainment, you need innovation," he says. "There's this habit of seeing one hit, then everybody runs in that direction trying to replicate its success. Once you do that innovation dies and people are no longer entertained. It's very important to make not just the games we've always been creating but games that appeal to a wider audience of all ages."

Miyamoto's commitment to simplicity makes him strangely removed from the rest of the industry. Luminaries such as Seamus Blackley, the former Xbox chief, and Lorne Lanning, creator of the Oddworld games, believe he is reinforcing the stereotype that games are only for children and fails to acknowledge that the industry has matured.

But Miyamoto argues that realistic visuals do not ensure better games.

Greekboy

Banned
IMO Miyamoto has been in a long personal slump. He's like that slugger we all love that just can't catch up to that fastball anymore and his best days are behind him. Everytime he strikes out you feel for him and remember back to his glory days.

Mr_Furious said:
Neither does simplistic controls.

Well put. I think the real issue here is that Miyamoto et al at Nintendo can't accept the fact that Nintendo isn't the player it once was in the home console arena. Rather than accept this and keep doing what they've always done best, they let pride get in the way which leads to them spewing crap. If Nintendo were in Sony's position and had sold 70+ million GCN consoles, would we even be hearing this from them? No way.

Redbeard

Banned
Miyamoto's commitment to simplicity makes him strangely removed from the rest of the industry. Luminaries such as Seamus Blackley, the former Xbox chief, and Lorne Lanning, creator of the Oddworld games, believe he is reinforcing the stereotype that games are only for children and fails to acknowledge that the industry has matured.

But Miyamoto argues that realistic visuals do not ensure better games.

That doesn't even make sense.

Lisa, what are you talking about? In the past couple years, Miyamoto was made to work on many titles instead of focusing on a handful of projects. It would be more fair to say this if he had been at the helm of a single project and have it turn out dissapointing. As it stands, you cannot give him praise for a game or knock him for it as you don't know what elements he's responsible for. Even Zelda was directed by Aonuma.

However, from what we hear now, Miyamoto should be a lot closer to EAD's games. Perhaps he may even direct a game in the future.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I agree with everything Miyamoto says. Always.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mr_Furious said:
Neither does simplistic controls.

Oh god, this is getting SOOO old. Simple controls != simple or unsophisticated game.

I read a wonderful editorial in the latest Edge discussing controllers, and their simplicity, or lack thereof. They raised one very interesting comparison - controllers today have 12 buttons, and we expect people to be able to pick up and play instantaneously, yet pianos have 12 notes, and it can take a lifetime to master. As hardcore gamers, we don't realise the complexity we're presenting to new gamers, because we grew up with every more complex controllers, and learned to manage them incrementally. New gamers don't have that luxury, and we ARE alienating vast numbers of potential gamers with the complexity of controls in games today. I've seen it first hand - my older brother, who never played games growing up, bought "one of those PS2s" and he barely plays it because he thinks the games are too hard. What he probably means is, it's too hard to control. It's easy for us to laugh, but it's a real problem if we want to expand the market. Simple controls = a good thing. EVERYONE is striving toward more intuitive man-machine interfaces...or at least, everyone should be. One day we probably won't even have controls in the traditional sense.

Oh, and Blackley and Lanning are luminaries? Haha..

edit - I mean, seriously, how complex do you want your controls? Personally I'd prefer to immerse myself in the game and not to have to even think about what my hands are doing. Unfortunately, most new gamers do, and if we keep making controls more complex, they'll never catch up (and heck, they may never do, even if we keep things as they are..things are probably already too complex).

No, Miyamoto was involved with many projects. Everything from Eternal Darkness to Pacman vs. had his supervision. I see nothing wrong with it personally, as it means that many games ended up being very well done. However, it is a double-edged blade. On the other end, it meant that he could not dedicate his time to one game or two (that would no doubt be spectacularly orchestrated.)

Deg

Banned
Face it everyone, Seamus Blackely and Lorn Lanning are better and more successful game makers than Miyamoto. They have sold more copies of their games and demonstrate far greater knowledge in the videogames arena. I believe the time has come where Miyamoto should be stripped of all glory which should be passed onto Seamus Blackely and Lorn Lanning who have far more relevance and more to add to this world. Which they have proven time and again

wazoo

Deg said:
Face it everyone, Seamus Blackely and Lorn Lanning are better and more successful game makers than Miyamoto. They have sold more copies of their games and demonstrate far greater knowledge in the videogames arena. I believe the time has come where Miyamoto should be stripped of all glory which should be passed onto Seamus Blackely and Lorn Lanning who have far more relevance and more to add to this world. Which they have proven time and again

:lol:

DSN2K

Deg said:

haha good stuff.

Deg said:

*looks for the off Button on the Xbot*

I'm sure the reference to Seamus Blackley and Lorne Lanning comes from the hit piece that Wired did on Miyamoto last year. I hear Blackley was actually really pissed about that piece, because they took his quotes out of context to make it look like he was trashing Miyamoto when in fact he was mostly praising him.

gofreak said:
Oh god, this is getting SOOO old. Simple controls != simple or unsophisticated game.

I can't tell you how many times my producer at one of my old jobs would return whatever design doc I submitted and state "You are using far too few buttons. Games these days need to use every button on the controller."

Kobun Heat said:
I'm sure the reference to Seamus Blackley and Lorne Lanning comes from the hit piece that Wired did on Miyamoto last year. I hear Blackley was actually really pissed about that piece, because they took his quotes out of context to make it look like he was trashing Miyamoto when in fact he was mostly praising him.

FF.nintendo_1.jpg

Nice photo...

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Deku Tree said:
I wanted to read the article, but I'm not going to register with that site.
I don't either. Thankfully, here is the article without registration hassles.

Anyways I don't see what's so "Interesting" about this interview at all. It's the same shit Miyamoto has been saying for years.

JasoNsider said:
As it stands, you cannot give him praise for a game or knock him for it as you don't know what elements he's responsible for.
Irrelevant.
As long as he's speaking for the company, his comments and how they relate to the company he works for are eligible for criticism.

gofreak said:

I read a wonderful editorial in the latest Edge discussing controllers, and their simplicity, or lack thereof. They raised one very interesting comparison - controllers today have 12 buttons, and we expect people to be able to pick up and play instantaneously, yet pianos have 12 notes, and it can take a lifetime to master. As hardcore gamers, we don't realise the complexity we're presenting to new gamers, because we grew up with every more complex controllers, and learned to manage them incrementally. New gamers don't have that luxury, and we ARE alienating vast numbers of potential gamers with the complexity of controls in games today. I've seen it first hand - my older brother, who never played games growing up, bought "one of those PS2s" and he barely plays it because he thinks the games are too hard. What he probably means is, it's too hard to control. It's easy for us to laugh, but it's a real problem if we want to expand the market. Simple controls = a good thing. EVERYONE is striving toward more intuitive man-machine interfaces...or at least, everyone should be. One day we probably won't even have controls in the traditional sense.

Oh, and Blackley and Lanning are luminaries? Haha..

edit - I mean, seriously, how complex do you want your controls? Personally I'd prefer to immerse myself in the game and not to have to even think about what my hands are doing. Unfortunately, most new gamers do, and if we keep making controls more complex, they'll never catch up (and heck, they may never do, even if we keep things as they are..things are probably already too complex).

First off, I was only pointing out how "pointless" Miyamoto "point" is. My post was just as generalized as his which proves nothing to the industry. Secondly, I never once stated that complex controls were good nor did I ever say I wanted such controls.

Simple controls do not make a good game nor does realistic graphics. There are tons of games that prove this.

FortNinety said:
I can't tell you how many times my producer at one of my old jobs would return whatever design doc I submitted and state "You are using far too few buttons. Games these days need to use every button on the controller."
That's... really fucking sad.

I always suspected that some developers had this rule in place, but this is the first time I've ever heard it confirmed.

sarusama

I can't believe people still want Nintendo to become "mature". The title of thet Wired piece is already outrageous IMHO. Personally I find it a good thing that they keep doing the same "style" of games. I enjoy these games, even moreso now that everything else seems to want to be dark/grim and serious. It's a talent to be able to make a game everyone can enjoy instead of a restrained age group.

Why don't they bring out articles about how Rockstar don't want to make lighthearted games? People forget Nintendo is primarily a software company. I don't see SquareEnix making flight simulators.

I don't know remember if it's always been this way, but I find most of articles about Nintendo these days are very negative and reproachful. It's like it's "in" these days to make fun of Nintendo, just because everybody is doing it. And mostly all the things they whine about are mainly applicable to other software companies as well.

Geez, it seems now you essentially laugh at a game that doesn't have blood spraying in it.

"It was an amazing game," ... "But I don't play them for the same reason I don't watch Powerpuff Girls."

This guy has complexes

NLB2

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
That's... really fucking sad.

I always suspected that some developers had this rule in place, but this is the first time I've ever heard it confirmed.
Fill every button syndrom pisses me off so much. I'm playing through Skies of Arcadia: Legends right now and the menu system is so stupid. Instead of pressing start and then then choosing which submenu you wish to enter, diferent buttons are assigned to different menus, so if you want to move from one menu to another you have to exit to the overworld and then enter the other menu.

All other things being equal it's good to have simple controls, but efficiency is more important than simplicity. Inherently complex games such as RPGs should generally use as many buttons as they can since the alternative is usually to require more button presses for each action.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Some people need to think before jumping all over the "simple controls" philosophy that Nintendo's pushing. It's all about making the simple act of playing a game less intimidating. If control map A has twelve dozen combinations, uses all eight buttons, the D-Pad, and the analog stick, someone who only casually plays games probably isn't going to bother. This also blends into general game complexity, and how as more and more games start stepping up the amount of time needed to complete them, less people are doing so, or bothering at all.

This is a problem.

People keep talking about a video game "crash" looming on the horizon. If it really is coming, it will weed out all of the bullshit games that can't decide when enough is enough, whether it's in regard to controls, game length, or a little bit of both. Nintendo has the right idea, developers need to throttle back or else risk alienating new players, and the ADD-rattled people who play them already. Stop toying with eye candy, inflating gameplay time by recycling levels, and just make a game genuinely fun, not a chore.

Face it, if anyone other company had postulated this theory, they wouldn't have the collective world riding their dick about it. But since it's Nintendo, they obviously mean that video games should stay in the realm of kids. That kind of myopia is pretty sad.

Seamus Blackley and Lorne Lanning? pleaaaaase! someone with the penny arcade of old needs to show up quick snap!

The argument is void
These guys can't come close to miyamotos 20 years of gold making

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
All other things being equal it's good to have simple controls, but efficiency is more important than simplicity. Inherently complex games such as RPGs should generally use as many buttons as they can since the alternative is usually to require more button presses for each action.

This man speaks the truth. There is a big difference between simplification and efficiency! Ideally, a game's design should focus on making the interface as efficient as possible and when you do that, you should naturally reach a balance of controls which are as simple as possible without sacrificing gameplay and interface flexibility. The goal should always been to avoid unnecessary controls, rather than focus on using as few buttons as possible to start with and set in place an artificial ceiling on game design.

I'm also not surprised to hear that some producers demand more complexity in controls. I'd almost guarantee it's due to "bells & whisltes" mentality, where it is assumed that the more buttons and complex gadgets are evident, the more impressive the game will seem. Now, an interesting point here, is that there is a certain curve you see in consumer electronics design.

Up to a point, an increasing number of gadgets, buttons, displays, and controls (as well as flashy styling which can be downright gaudy) is used to make a device look more "whizbang" to Joe Consumer. And it seems up to a certain level of consumer sophistication, this works. Joe sees the mess of crap jutting from the front of the machine and thinks it must do more. However, you reach a drop at a certain level of consumer product design - simple and streamlined becomes vogue, and it seems (to me at least) that this is keyed in with price range. Cheap walkmen clones and bargan basement MP3 players are very gaudy with lots of angles, "futuristic" bubbles, ridges, and edges. Relatively high-end and expensive equipment, such as Apple's iPod, are super clean, simple, and every generation strives to remove protrusions and visible controls. High end audio equipment also seems to follow this trend in general.

These high-end products seem to be aimed at consumers who will (and can afford to) spend more. There also seems to be an assumption that such people are more savy and experienced.

(Comparisons to video games break down in certain areas, such as looking at the PC game market where it seems using every key on the keyboard is desired even for simplistic games. This might be due to the more "techy" evolution of the PC community, where hardcore users who also tend to be the dedicated gamers are used to intuitively slapping every key there is and memorizing alts and shortcuts for each one on top of that. I know that when I play PC games, I often feel they're very inefficient and haphazard in the layout of their control scheme, and even when it can be configured, too many seemingly simple fuctions are split among different keys with no way to consolodate them aside from games that let you manually write macros.)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Kaijima said:
(Comparisons to video games break down in certain areas, such as looking at the PC game market where it seems using every key on the keyboard is desired even for simplistic games. This might be due to the more "techy" evolution of the PC community, where hardcore users who also tend to be the dedicated gamers are used to intuitively slapping every key there is and memorizing alts and shortcuts for each one on top of that. I know that when I play PC games, I often feel they're very inefficient and haphazard in the layout of their control scheme, and even when it can be configured, too many seemingly simple fuctions are split among different keys with no way to consolodate them aside from games that let you manually write macros.)
That's about the reason I quit playing PC games. I spent more time looking at the instruction booklet's control pages than I did playing the freakin' games.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Dan said:
That's about the reason I quit playing PC games. I spent more time looking at the instruction booklet's control pages than I did playing the freakin' games.

A-fucking-men.

The FPS is the biggest culprit, the few times I bother with them I feel like I need a third hand.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Dan said:

So true. I think there is a reason why I adore my GBA SP and the simple fact is that it only uses 4 buttons - 2 of which are sometimes obselete (Wario anyone?). Of course, it could just be that I am a 2D whore.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"That's about the reason I quit playing PC games. I spent more time looking at the instruction booklet's control pages than I did playing the freakin' games."

Wow, that's sad. I spend about 1 minute tops on each game.

I mean, really, most games use the W, A, S, D control for motion, and mouse for viewing, wheel for snipping, changing weapons, c for crouch, z for completely down, and then there's just a few differences from there with most FPSes. A lot of RPGs work the same way, like morrowind.

RTSs usually have similar hot keys. B for build, F for farm, etc.

You prefer the GBA pad!? There's no hope for you man...wow...just wow.

teh_pwn said:
Wow, that's sad. I spend about 1 minute tops on each game.

You prefer the GBA pad!? There's no hope for you man...wow...just wow.

It's certainly much more user friendly to use a well-designed low-button method than a keyboard. As an example of something I had to constantly be checking controls on, this Star Trek Bridge Commander demo, here are the listed battle controls.

Turn ship: WASD
Roll left/right: Q/E
Cycle through targets: T
Toggle camera: C
Phasers: F
Torpedoes: X
Speed: 0-9
Reverse: R
Toggle tractor beam: Alt-T
Toggle cloaking device: Alt-C
Intercept target: Ctrl-I
Clear target: Ctrl-T
Select next/previous/nearest target: t/y/u
Target next enemy: i
Target target's attacker: j
Target next nav poitn: n
Target the next planet: p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mr_Furious said:
First off, I was only pointing out how "pointless" Miyamoto "point" is. My post was just as generalized as his which proves nothing to the industry. Secondly, I never once stated that complex controls were good nor did I ever say I wanted such controls.

Simple controls do not make a good game nor does realistic graphics. There are tons of games that prove this.

Simple, accessible controls alone don't make a good game, but then that's obvious, and I don't think Miyamoto ever suggested that they alone ensure a game will be good. They are a good step in the right direction, however. I don't think Miyamoto clings to simple controls as the cure to all gaming ailments. He sees it as a major factor going forward though, and I would agree with him.

And sorry, but your terse response suggested you disagreed with the "simple control" philosophy. If you don't, well, great. If you disagree with it as a response to every problem with games, then I would tend to agree, but I don't think Miyamoto sees it that way either. He talks about it a lot, because it is an important factor, but I think he would recognise it's not the only one.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
FortNinety said:

I hope that guy got fired. *What* an idiot

teh_pwn

"It's certainly much more user friendly to use a well-designed low-button method than a keyboard. As an example of something I had to constantly be checking controls on, this Star Trek Bridge Commander demo, here are the listed battle controls."

Ok, that's a crazy game. :p

While I agree making more button use than necessary is bad, just how would something like that be used with a simple gamepad?

xsarien

daedsiluap
teh_pwn said:
I mean, really, most games use the W, A, S, D control for motion, and mouse for viewing, wheel for snipping, changing weapons, c for crouch, z for completely down, and then there's just a few differences from there with most FPSes.

If you honestly believe that someone who doesn't spend every gaming moment playing shooters thinks that control layout is in anyway reasonable (or logical), you're the one without hope. :p

ge-man

That quote that people are arguing over was badly written. In the case of Blackley I doubt he feels that way about Miyamoto.

If some people want to play a game with Steel Battalion levels of control complexity, then I'm happy for them. Personally, I am in least in agreement with the philosophy of making games easier to pick up. Not every has the time to invest or the patience and skill to play a game designed to use every button and dodad available.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I had something of an epiphany a few weeks ago while I was playing Empires Dawn of the Modern World. I had the instruction book, hotkey controls, and tech tree spread out and I was frantically trying to do 100 things at once and getting destroyed by a teenager who kept taunting me. After getting destroyed, I turned the game off and haven't played it since. At this point in my life, I would just rather play my $20 copy of Excitebike on my GBA. Maybe I'm regressing.

Seamus Blackley and Lorne Lanning can suck it. The day Lanning makes a game nearly as good as Sunshine or Pikmin 2 I'll eat my words. But for right now they can suck and suck it hard until my piss comes out.

teh_pwn

"If you honestly believe that someone who doesn't spend every gaming moment playing shooters thinks that control layout is in anyway reasonable (or logical), you're the one without hope. :p"

?

It works for all shooters, a hell lot better than any pad would.

It works incredible for RTS. But you only use the keyboard as hot keys. I'd love to see someone play Warcraft III with a pad, that'd be interesting to see.

Certain RPGs play well on that scheme, like Morrowind.

You can buy a good pad for other PC genres.

Gamepads have their strenghts, but the GBA control is absolutely terrible. It's way too small for normal sized human hands, and it has too few buttons for any decent control scheme.

The only time I agree with you is when games use hotkeys on the right side of the keyboard. It's like wtf, I'm using my right hand for the mouse.

AirBrian

Guileless said:
I had something of an epiphany a few weeks ago while I was playing Empires Dawn of the Modern World. I had the instruction book, hotkey controls, and tech tree spread out and I was frantically trying to do 100 things at once and getting destroyed by a teenager who kept taunting me. After getting destroyed, I turned the game off and haven't played it since. At this point in my life, I would just rather play my $20 copy of Excitebike on my GBA. Maybe I'm regressing.
Exactly. This is why I'm not a PC gamer (outside of Doom 3 and the Sims :D ). I don't have the time to spend hours to learn tech trees, hotkeys, and learn what everything else does only to go online a get my ass spanked by some 12 or 35 year-old who continuously taunts me with "It's over, you suck" or "I'm invincible" or "You're mom's calling you." I can however, see how it's very satisfying for some to master a game, it's just not for me.

Another thing, I had some friends over a couple weeks ago and we tried Conflict: Desert Storm II. Fun game, multiplayer is a blast. However, a couple of the guys couldn't get the controls down. It was too much to learn in a half-hour or hour. One of the guys got too frustrated and we turned it off to play Super Monkey Ball and Mario Kart.

There is definitely a market for complex controls and sometimes it's very helpful, but I think too many games are adding functions to buttons just to add functions to buttons. As long as it makes sense or is efficient then that's fine, but please don't add crap just because the controller has a button that's not mapped.

Deg said:

This guy needs to get his gaming history and knowledge straight.

xsarien

daedsiluap
teh_pwn said:
"If you honestly believe that someone who doesn't spend every gaming moment playing shooters thinks that control layout is in anyway reasonable (or logical), you're the one without hope. :p"

?

It works for all shooters, a hell lot better than any pad would.

Judging by Halo's popularity, I think there's a pretty good argument against that.

See also: Every post in this thread about efficiency. Modern PC game control layouts aren't terribly well thought out. Yeah, people are USED to them, but there's a distinction to be made.

Gamepads have their strenghts, but the GBA control is absolutely terrible. It's way too small for normal sized human hands, and it has too few buttons for any decent control scheme.

Let me guess: The only console controller you like is the original XBox "Duke," right? Judging by how many people I see playing GBAs on any given day - and given the range of ages - I think you should consider chalking that up to pure opinion.

Guileless said:

AirBrian said:
Exactly. This is why I'm not a PC gamer (outside of Doom 3 and the Sims :D ). I don't have the time to spend hours to learn tech trees, hotkeys, and learn what everything else does only to go online a get my ass spanked by some 12 or 35 year-old who continuously taunts me with "It's over, you suck" or "I'm invincible" or "You're mom's calling you." I can however, see how it's very satisfying for some to master a game, it's just not for me.

Another thing, I had some friends over a couple weeks ago and we tried Conflict: Desert Storm II. Fun game, multiplayer is a blast. However, a couple of the guys couldn't get the controls down. It was too much to learn in a half-hour or hour. One of the guys got too frustrated and we turned it off to play Super Monkey Ball and Mario Kart.

There is definitely a market for complex controls and sometimes it's very helpful, but I think too many games are adding functions to buttons just to add functions to buttons. As long as it makes sense or is efficient then that's fine, but please don't add crap just because the controller has a button that's not mapped.

xsarien said:

?

It works for all shooters, a hell lot better than any pad would."

Judging by Halo's popularity, I think there's a pretty good argument against that.

See also: Every post in this thread about efficiency. Modern PC game control layouts aren't terribly well thought out. Yeah, people are USED to them, but there's a distinction to be made.

"Gamepads have their strenghts, but the GBA control is absolutely terrible. It's way too small for normal sized human hands, and it has too few buttons for any decent control scheme."

Let me guess: The only console controller you like is the original XBox "Duke," right? Judging by how many people I see playing GBAs on any given day - and given the age of ranges - I think you should consider chalking that up to pure opinion.

Just wanted to say, excellent comments.

boutrosinit said:
"I can't tell you how many times my producer at one of my old jobs would return whatever design doc I submitted and state "You are using far too few buttons. Games these days need to use every button on the controller."

I hope that guy got fired. *What* an idiot

Actually, she got promoted, and I was the one who was fired. The game turned out to be a total mess despite my best attempts to save it, but guess who got the blame? :(

xsarien

daedsiluap
FortNinety said:
Actually, she got promoted, and I was the one who was fired. The game turned out to be a total mess despite my best attempts to save it, but guess who got the blame? :(

To play Devil's Advocate, her heart may have been in the right place. With all of the buttons on a controller, it's very tempting to give the player as much actual control as possible. I can get behind that, as long as it's mitigated by a learning curve that's reasonable.

If you take something like Metroid Prime, it comes into focus. When you first start out, you're only using a few of the GCN buttons, or only using them one at a time. But, the game manages to walk that fine line between holding your hand while you learn the controls, and making it seem like you picked it up naturally.

And by the end of the game, you're doing crazy combinations that even Retro probably didn't even consider.

Top Bottom