• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International Cycling Union (UCI) strips Lance Armstrong of all titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

Lance Armstrong banned for life and stripped of his seven tour victories by UCI. "Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling."

12.03pm: UCI confirm they will strip Armstrong of his seven titles.

12.03pm: McQuaid: This is not the first time that cycling have reached a crossroads … it will find a new path foreward.

12.04pm: McQuaid: "Armstrong has no place in cycling."

12.05pm: "Something like this must never happen again," says McQuaid.

12.18pm: "Armstrong deserves to be forgotten in cycling now."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5460163.story

PARIS (Reuters) - The International Cycling Union (UCI) are expected to give their reaction on Monday to USADA's ruling that seven times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong doped throughout his career, the governing body said on Friday.

"On this occasion, UCI President Mr Pat McQuaid will inform on the UCI position concerning the USADA (U.S. Anti-Doping Agency) decision on the Armstrong case," the UCI said in a statement announcing a news conference for 1100GMT in Geneva, Switzerland on Monday.

The UCI has yet to rule on the 1,000 page USADA report into Armstrong, which alleges the now retired American rider had been involved in the "most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program sport has ever seen".

The UCI can either confirm Armstrong's life ban and strip him of his Tour titles or take the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Liveblogs:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...mstrong-doping-scandal-UCI-response-live.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/oct/22/uci-lance-armstrong-press-conference-live

Edit: They announced they will strip him of his titles.

Aguirre

The UCI can either confirm Armstrong's life ban and strip him of his Tour titles or take the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
so out of any of the decisions they can make, he's still screwed.

McNum

"Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling."

That's pretty much definitive. It's pretty much the conclusion they had to come to to recover just a little credibility toward the sport. Banned for life, all titles stripped.

So, who really won the Tour de France those years?

That's pretty much definitive. It's pretty much the conclusion they had to come to to recover just a little credibility toward the sport. Banned for life, all titles stripped.

So, for the last 13 Tour de France editions, 11 of the winners have been disqualified afterwards for doping. Hahahaha, just so hilariously sad.

Also, you should look up a list for all the top 10's of the tour, with people involved in doping scandals highlighted. It's like a fucking color book.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

No one, just like when Juventus was stripped of their title and Milan didn't get it (not like it stopped Juve fans from adding it up to their "three stars").

Choc

Banned

In one of the years the first 7 have now been found to have used drugs during the race. 8th place will win, i believe its cadel evans

Big-E

This is finally over. Thank God. Can't wait for the documentary 20 years later where it paints Lance as just misunderstood.

lexi

Banned
In one of the years the first 7 have now been found to have used drugs during the race. 8th place will win, i believe its cadel evans

Cadel Evans could have been a household name at this point then? Or maybe he's doping, too.

McNum

That's just sad. Cycling is kind of becoming a laughing stock with this.

So, Evans got his second win retroactively... by finishing 8th.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
They should just ban this "sport".

Aguirre

throne_2296065k.jpg
all hail the king

Goldrusher

Eliminating all those banned or even suspected of doping:

2012: Wiggins (#1)
2011: Evans (#1)
2010: Andy Schleck (#2) or Menchov (#3)
2009: Andy Schleck (#2) or Wiggins (#4)
2008: Evans (#2)
2007: Evans (#2)
2006: Evans (#4)

won by Armstrong:

2005: Evans (#8)
2004: Azevedo (#5)
2003: Zubeldia (#5)
2002: Beloki (#2) or Azevedo (#6)
2001: Beloki (#3) or Simon (#6)
2000: Escartín (#8)
1999: Escartín (#3)

(in brackets their actual result)

Beloki was named in Operación Puerto, but cleared.
Andy Schleck was never caught, but his brother was.

McNum

No. Its not confirmed but its likely that there will be no winners from those years.
That's going to be up to the Tour de France organizers, I'd think. It's an awkard situation no matter what. If they just cancel his wins, they're saying that from 1999 to 2005, the Tour was invalid due to doping. If they just move up the results, they can still save face by pointing at the riders instead of themselves.

Either way, time will tell. This is a new precedent in doping investigation. Armstrong was felled by witness testimony alone, no positive blood samples were found.

Hopefully that makes some other riders really uncomfortable...

Kiraly

People with cancer looked up to him as he did the unimaginable, he was an example for many and now this shit.

Wes

venison crêpe

You know, if they keep on having to go down the list eventually I'm going to be declared the winner.

Kabouter

Armstrong still made bank from cheating. He might be a disgrace but I'm sure he has a nice house.

I'm inclined to believe the insurance company who once refused to pay him fees for having won the Tour de France, will seek to reclaim those payments, which are in the eight figures. After all, the payments were based on him being awarded the title in those Tour de Frances. Armstrong now has none. I would imagine similar situations will occur elsewhere as well.

Amazing, maybe the biggest hypocrite in sports of all time.

Doping in cycling is normal and of course I knew what was going on back in the days (and obviously still is). But the way Armstrong cheated and lied to the public is probably unprecendented.

Choc

Banned

won by Armstrong:

Cadel Evans must be absolutely furious, that shits ridiculous. What say you gaf? do you think they should be awarded

scrapping 7 years of a major cycling race is a bit hard, especially with the 100th tour coming up next year!!!!

its a real shame its geoblocked for you guys, but on www.abc.net.au/iview in 4 corners show there is a major investigation into this.

One of the processes they describe is taking blood out, freezing it and re-inserting it into the cyclist four weeks later.

its completely undetectable right now and drs are convinced athletes in many sports are doing it.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/1019074

Choc

Banned
also what the fuck is this insurance. How can you insure yourself to win the tour?

this makes NO SENSE at all.

Kabouter

its a real shame its geoblocked for you guys, but on www.abc.net.au/iview in 4 corners show there is a major investigation into this.

One of the processes they describe is taking blood out, freezing it and re-inserting it into the cyclist four weeks later.

its completely undetectable right now and drs are convinced athletes in many sports are doing it.
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2012/10/11/3608613.htm < This works everywhere, or at least, it does here in the Netherlands.

As far as blood transfusions go, larger transfusions as used to be extremely common can be detected via changes in blood values, which for cyclists are kept in their biological passports. While blood transfusions are likely still going on, they are probably much smaller transfusions that thus don't give the same benefits that the large ones once did. The playing field is getting fairer, and I do believe we are getting to the point where a clean rider can win races, although probably still not the larger three week grand tours.

Choc

Banned
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2012/10/11/3608613.htm < This works everywhere, or at least, it does here in the Netherlands.

As far as blood transfusions go, larger transfusions as used to be extremely common can be detected via changes in blood values, which for cyclists are kept in their biological passports. While blood transfusions are likely still going on, they are probably much smaller transfusions that thus don't give the same benefits that the large ones once did. The playing field is getting fairer, and I do believe we are getting to the point where a clean rider can win races, although probably still not the larger three week grand tours.

ok you guys can watch it? Do so. Its amazing (a lot of the evidence that has come to light was first found in this story)

Also it details how much of a fluke it was lance got caught.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wouldn't it still require some real effort to win even while doping? I mean, evidence suggests that many of the top spots were filled by dopers as well. So Lance is the best of the users?

Choc

Banned
Wouldn't it still require some real effort to win even while doping? I mean, evidence suggests that many of the top spots were filled by dopers as well. So Lance is the best of the users?

Pretty much what the journos are saying. He was the best of a dopey bunch

Cipherr

won by Armstrong:

That is unreal, the hell is wrong with that sport. Jesus.

The best tech with an entire team of dopers behind you who you control because you're the don. Not to mention having members of UCI etc in his pocket and going so far as to pay others not to attack in certain races.

It's really not as simple as "everyone doped, he was the best of the dopers". It wasn't even close to being a level playing field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom