• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International Cycling Union (UCI) strips Lance Armstrong of all titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

Wow, so much red....

i65a4w6uPAKfh.png

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/lancearmstrong/9626520/Lance-Armstrong-How-Tour-de-Frances-recent-past-has-been-decimated-by-doping.html

Are these all for the same competition?

If so, I would be so embarrassed if I were Frank Schleck.

Steroids and all and all he got was 3rd place. Beaten out by two people who didn't dope.

CorvoSol

Wow, it's pretty sad. I mean, the guy was a hero to a lot of people, and now it all just feels like, "Why Lance, why?" How are his fans taking it? Better or worse than Penn State's?

Kurtofan

NoRéN;43619453 said:
Are these all for the same competition?

If so, I would be so embarrassed if I were Frank Schleck.

Steroids and all and all he got was 3rd place. Beaten out by two people who didn't dope.

He was caught for something in 2012 not in 2011.

Joni

He was caught for something in 2012 not in 2011.

Indeed.

This is one of the most awful parts of doping in sports though. People like Armstrong completely dominated the sports using doping, while people like Ulrich fell on the side. Year after year he got to hear he was too fat to beat Armstrong. No wonder he would turn to doping. Schleck is the same case, media burned him down year after year.

kottila

So lance was invited to a Norway 3 years ago to focus on the battle against cancer, participating in a show race and then doing a talk on cancer. The arrangers had the understanding that the $416 000 payment was meant to go to livestrong, but it turns out that all the money all went to Lance personally. (the article is a little confusing as some say they never knew that this had happenend and others say that they discovered afterwards when they were told where to transfer the money to)
http://www.vg.no/sport/sykkel/artikkel.php?artid=10055415

numble

Another bump for anybody who may be interested.

The USADA is set to send its report to the UCI pretty soon(this week supposedly) and some of the "evidence" is laughable.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...trong-u-s-anti-doping-agency-report-due-soon/

So let me get this straight, their evidence is testimony that UCI(the decision makers in this case) swept drug tests under the rug? A claim they they have denied and even taken legal action against. Do they really expect this to hold water with the UCI?

No, but I know that accusing the body that you want to uphold your sanctions is not the best idea.
By the way, the UCI found the accusations so laughable that they've decided to open themselves up to investigation for any involvement in covering up for Armstrong, and is suspending their lawsuit against the journalist that accused them of covering up for Armstrong:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-armstrong-commission-tour-de-france/1660723/

An independent commission soon will be established to investigate allegations that the International Cycling Union played a key role in the Lance Armstrong doping scandal.

The cycling federation, also known as UCI, made the announcement Friday in Geneva, just a few days after endorsing sanctions against Armstrong Monday, including the stripping of his seven titles in the Tour de France.

The UCI said it would announce in November which independent sports body will nominate members to the independent commission. The goal is to have the commission report recommendations by June.

UCI's role in the Armstrong doping scandal has been mired in controversy for years. Cyclist Tyler Hamilton has alleged in sworn testimony that Armstrong indicated to him that the UCI helped him cover up a positive drug test at the Tour of Switzerland in 2001.

In his recent book, The Secret Race, Hamilton said Armstrong phoned the UCI after testing positive for EPO.

"No worries, dude," Armstrong told Hamilton, according the book. "We're going to have a meeting with them. It's all taken care of."

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency also has noted a cozy relationship between Armstrong and UCI. It cited donations to UCI of up to $200,000 from Armstrong or his companies.

UCI has denied any cover-up.

"While the Management Committee expressed confidence that enormous strides had been made in the fight against doping since 2005, in order to ensure that UCI and cycling could move forward with the confidence of all parties, the governing body also decided to establish a fully independent external Commission to look into the various allegations made about UCI relating to the Armstrong affair," UCI said in a statement.

Pending the findings of the commission, the UCI also said it would suspend defamation lawsuits it filed against journalist Paul Kimmage, who published investigations about rampant doping in cycling.

"UCI is determined to turn around this painful episode in the history of our sport," UCI President Pat McQuaid said in a statement. "We will take whatever actions are deemed necessary by the independent commission and we will put cycling back on track. Today, cycling is a completely different sport from what it was in the period 1998-2005. Riders are now subject to the most innovative and effective anti-doping procedures and regulations in sport. Nevertheless, we have listened to the world's reaction to the Lance Armstrong affair and have taken these additional decisive steps in response to the grave concerns raised."

vidcons

Banned
My favorite part is that McQuaid said they were not going to drop the charges against Kimmage earlier that week. Guess the rest of crew had something more to say.

He will not be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom