• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Into the Badlands - Post-apocalyptic kung-fu meets steampunk western - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

The series features two major fights per episode

If the fights are this damn good I'm cool with that. I don't need action all the time. I just need to be completely satisfied with the fights they do have and I was. In fact I'm glad they're weren't any at the end and instead it was more character drama.

It makes sense now why the son was upset about the other wife. I'm really curious as to what the main wife Lydia is going to do. She knows what Sunny did. I wouldn't be surprised if in the end she ends up taking control from Quinn instead of the Widow or the son..

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Oh, well good. Reason to keep watching because the story is pretty bad. I couldn't care about the baron or the baron's in-fighting. The mysterious kid trope is a trope that's as old as time.

I just want to see Sunny fucking people up. Repeatedly.

styl3s

Growing up on anime and 90s Hong Kong movies, I enjoyed the hell out of this.
Sadly never got into anime but i did grow up with badly dubbed 70s-90s hong kong movies (a lot bootlegged from flea markets) and yeah it's right up my ally.

I wish they would of thrown all the money at Sammo to have him play a Baron.

You might get this reference. But it would be awesome if Cynthia Rothrock appeared as the Widow's mentor.
Now i want this and and Biao.

ViciousDS

Banned
Yes.....I'll be seeing you guys here everyone week. First episode had me hooked. Acting is ok....but I wasn't expecting anything amazing. Daniel Wu does a decent enough job for me....can't wait to see how crazy some fight scenes get....especially knowing there is at least 2 an episode.

Yes.....I'll be seeing you guys here everyone week. First episode had me hooked. Acting is ok....but I wasn't expecting anything amazing. Daniel Wu does a decent enough job for me....can't wait to see how crazy some fight scenes get....especially knowing there is at least 2 an episode.
This is pretty much me.

Mindlog

It was alright.
Most shows are really bad or just plain awful in their first season. This was entertaining enough for me to watch a second episode.

Effect

I think I'm also just happy I'm watching post-apocalyptic show with action I enjoy that doesn't involve zombies. I think this is why I like Fallout so much more compared to stuff like Dying Light or Left 4 Dead.

Effect

I also hope they explain at some point why guns aren't usable. I don't see people unanimously agreeing not to use them if they have them. Are not able to reproduce them and the bullets or is something else stopping it? Also how did the world regress to this state?

They have cars and motorcycles. Stands to reason they can be repaired so there is some industry either left or being rebuilt. They should be past the level where some gun types can be manufactured.

I also hope they explain at some point why guns aren't usable. I don't see people unanimously agreeing not to use them if they have them. Are not able to reproduce them and the bullets or is something else stopping it? Also how did the world regress to this state?

They have cars and motorcycles. Stands to reason they can be repaired so there is some industry either left or being rebuilt. They should be past the level where guns some gun types can be manufactured.

Yeah, I mean the 100,000 folds of glorious Nippon steel they use on the swords has to be at least more complex to manufacture to make than gunpowder or some kind of variant.

That car really threw me for a loop.

It shows, that was some A-grade fight choreography, and holy crap some of the most brutal I've ever seen on TV, Game of Thrones included.

The fight scenes in this are amazing, but I feel this episode was bogged down in trying to do the whole in medias res lore dump thing. Like that whole 5 minute sequence with sonny and his girlfriend, from making out to I can't read to I'm preggers to we have to kill it to why don't you love me. Like character development whiplash. This should've been a 90 minute to 2 hour premiere. The dialogue is pretty meh, and a lot of the setups feel really tropey and obvious. It's readily apparent the show is banking on the kung fu action set pieces (for which every bit of praise is earned), and it's got a really great hook and aesthetic, just wish they'd spent more time making us actually care about some of these characters in the first hour.

They have cars and motorcycles. Stands to reason they can be repaired so there is some industry either left or being rebuilt. They should be past the level where guns some gun types can be manufactured.

Well they mentioned oil for use in factories, and Sonny point blank referenced Cat in the Hat at one point, so we're definitely dealing with an earth that was at least 1950's level of development before going all apocalypse-y. I'm expecting they'll get into the Badlands history, Baron's rise to power, lack of guns in due time.

Hero

Pretty interesting first episode and the fights were incredibly well done, especially for a television show. Will watch next week.

Effect

The rain fight was uploaded by AMC. It was said before but I really appreciate they all attacked at the same time and kept trying to after the initial opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmpQALpFDBQ

Edit:

That's why the doctor seems so familar. I knew I had seen her before. She played Astrid in CW's The Tomorrow People.

BizzyBum

Damn, those fight scenes were some summer blockbuster type shit. Can't believe we're going to see two a week on a TV show.

Love shots like this

V5QrGFL.gif

GR4Yl0N.gif

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Not too bad, but lots of exposition (understandable for a pilot) and clunky dialog. Still, the acting was solid and the fight choreography was spectacular. I can't wait to see what kind of crazy shit Sunny gets into next.

The fight scenes are great but... I guess Banshee has spoiled me?

It's possible to make a show with great fight scenes and a more than decent everything else.

They have cars and motorcycles. Stands to reason they can be repaired so there is some industry either left or being rebuilt. They should be past the level where some gun types can be manufactured.

Yup. This world makes little sense so far.

ivysaur12

Banned
It's too bad there wasn't an actual show in between the well choreographed fight scenes.

Also, yeesh, the lead was baaaaad.

Ruruja

I liked it, as long as the fight scenes remain that good I'm down. The look of the show was great too.

Nobody watches a martial arts movie for the acting anyways so I'm not too fussed if it's a little iffy. Story seems interesting to me.

otapnam

Cant believe daniel wu is 41 already.

I remember reading about him in the early 2000s when he started doing Hong Kong films -especially since he was from the sf bay area. Its ways cool seeing the american born asian actors make a career in the homeland - i was wondering when he'd try his luck back here in the states.

Hoping the rest of the series is good

gwailo

Banned
Sadly never got into anime but i did grow up with badly dubbed 70s-90s hong kong movies (a lot bootlegged from flea markets) and yeah it's right up my ally.

I wish they would of thrown all the money at Sammo to have him play a Baron.

Sammo is still pretty busy in Hong Kong. IIRC he is now working on a wuxia movie with Stephen Chow. Knowing how slowly Chow works (especially for HK movies) he'll probably be tied up with that for a while. Plus I think Martial Law soured him for working on US TV again.

It would be cool to have more HK or HK related actors in the show though. A lot of them (especially the younger ones) speak English pretty well. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Stephen Fung pop up in at least a small role, or maybe Maggie Q since she used to date Daniel Wu.

RS4-

Just finished, that was pretty good. For a sec, I thought the mom walked into her son's room, and I sort of expected a twist like that.

Cardon

Really enjoyed ep1. Some of the dialog/writing was a tad rough though that could just be due to it being the first episode and all so the show may not have found its footing per say.

All in all I'm excited to see where things progress and the concept as a whole slightly reminds me of the action movie Bunraku which I loved.

jerry113

Banned
Impressive fights for TV, but could really use some humor. Takes itself too seriously.

I'm all for some steampunk though so I'll keep watching.

Also I'm going to keep watching for the redhead.

Frog-fu

Banned
Yo what the fuck? This motherfucker went Avatar State.

Didn't know this was that type of show. This anime as fuck.

edit;

That fight scene in the rain on some Daredevil shit. Legit truth.

Rest of the episode was good. Can't stand MK, but I'm in for the ride.

Curious to see what the ratings are like.

Achamian

Decent pilot will carry on with the series for now and hope the acting / scripts improve enough to complement the great action.

Are people honestly bothered by the writing?

This is meant to be a throwback to exaggerated as fuck kung-fu movies of the early days.

The writing is bad on purpose, or rather, it's not the focus. It's not the point of the show. And I don't mean that in a "it's not that type of show" way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom