• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the Moto X Style (phone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeRaSh

Just ordered the Play through the Moto Maker. Even with a discount code it was still 369€, which is almost as much as the US price for the Style...
A 5.7" screen is way too big for me. 5.5" is already pushing it but the battery is what really sealed the deal for me. I don't need qHD on my phone. 1080p is good enough.
It should arrive by the end of next week. :D

What back colour did you pick? I'm torn between Mars Red and Purple and then there's the accent colour too.

Gah, didn't think it would be so hard to pick two colours.

I'm thinking Mars Red with Metallic Lime or Purple and Orange.

0fxos8k.png

JOZ1MCq.png

Hmm.

KeRaSh

What back colour did you pick? I'm torn between Mars Red and Purple and then there's the accent colour too.

Gah, didn't think it would be so hard to pick two colours.

I'm thinking Mars Red with Metallic Lime or Purple and Orange.

Hmm.

Mars Red looks great. Purple isn't bad either, though.
I went with turquoise since it's my favorite color. Front is white with a metallic blue accent to give the front speakers that Tron glow look.

CONF_SVC_RedirectToAssetImage-Service

komplanen

Questions:

Do you guys think the specs are good enough for web browsing? My iPhone 6+ can't do multiple tabs without having to constantly reload them and it's pissing me off. Especially when it "forgets" the content on a tab playing audio. I don't want to buy a new phone for the same shitty experience.

Is the OS clean? Or does Motorola fill it with their jank?

It's shipping with Lollipop but there's a new OS just around the corner, right?

KeRaSh

Questions:

Do you guys think the specs are good enough for web browsing? My iPhone 6+ can't do multiple tabs without having to constantly reload them and it's pissing me off. Especially when it "forgets" the content on a tab playing audio. I don't want to buy a new phone for the same shitty experience.

Is the OS clean? Or does Motorola fill it with their jank?

It's shipping with Lollipop but there's a new OS just around the corner, right?

Well, there are no reviews available for these phones so far so I can only make assumptions. From experience (currently owning a HTC One M8, last year's flagship) tabs will only reload if I haven't used them in a while. Switching back and forth between tabs and the OS usually doesn't cause the page to reload.
Since the phone was top end last year it should come pretty close with the Play, which I would consider "midrange++" for current standards.

Yes, it ships with Android 5.1.1 but Motorola said it would receive Marshmallow towards the end of the year or early 2016, depending when Google releases the actual build.
The phones are basically running stock Android with a few Motorola twists like the feature to shake the phone in a certain way to instantly bring up the camera and useful stuff like that. No bloatware or anything.

Futureman

I wonder when the X Pure will be available in the US? I'm less interested in the Pure as the screen is too big for me, but I'm hoping maybe the current X will drop to $199 or something.

also it looks like the Moto 360 is only $150 on Moto's website right now.

SMattera

I wonder when the X Pure will be available in the US? I'm less interested in the Pure as the screen is too big for me, but I'm hoping maybe the current X will drop to $199 or something.

also it looks like the Moto 360 is only $150 on Moto's website right now.

September 3

Hunted

Neo Member
People who have bought this phone how would you rate it on a scale of 1-10? I might be interested in buying this just need to make sure its worth it.

New002

Man I was all about this phone but then I read that new nexus phones are being announced in October. Gaaaaah. I suppose I can wait a little longer. Definitely going to boil down to this or a Nexus.

whitehawk

Banned
Moto X Play is supposed to be out today in Canada. Gonna see if I can find it somewhere.
Yeah it is out, just got an email. Can get it from these retailers.

9EGRpqy.png

Cheapest is SaskTel but no Ontario for me. Koodo is next at $410. Question is will it be unlocked or not so I can bring it to wind.

Tempted to wait for the 2015 Nexus 5 though now. If they can offer at least 64GB of storage I might do that. I'm thinking they will now that iPhones have up to 128gb.

SRG01

I'd wait for some reviews to come out before deciding on the Play. The processor isn't the greatest (ie. Hot and power hungry), and the camera module has some differences compared to the Style.

At the very least, wait until a Style vs Play comparison is out.

I have the 2014 Moto X with bamboo back. I'd recommend it to anyone. They're cheaper than the competition. They also feel sturdy and not fragile like other phones. I have dropped it many times on rock and concrete. Performance is comparable to other high end phones.

Could use a better camera, bigger screen, bigger battery. All issues they addressed in 2015.

Asturie

Just found out about this today and really glad I decided to wait before buying a Note 5. Wanted the bigger 5.7 screen but wasn't really excited about the removed features from the Note 4 and the problem with the stylus. This seems to be everything I'm looking for in a phone.

SMattera

Just found out about this today and really glad I decided to wait before buying a Note 5. Wanted the bigger 5.7 screen but wasn't really excited about the removed features from the Note 4 and the problem with the stylus. This seems to be everything I'm looking for in a phone.

Other than micro SD card and the more stock version of Android, the Note 5 is the better device. Faster processor, more RAM, wireless charging, fingerprint scanner, Samsung Pay, S-Pen, etc. It's just significantly more expensive.

RS4-

Lol when I posted, didn't realize I was in the Pure/Style thread.

Anyway, I picked up the Play, really nice, smooth operation, screen, etc. Depending on how much I can get a Pure for in Canada, I might actually switch to it.

Fatalah

CgR3XEf.png

Now, wouldn't this be amazing? There may be a 16gb model for even lower than $399.

Why not save a buck with the 16gb model, if you have a spare Micro SD Card? Android M 6.0 even has the option to unify expanded memory with internal storage.

I ordered the Play last week but it hasn't arrived yet. I'm with Virgin so I had to go with the dumb overpriced Bell one, and since Bell doesn't want to sell without a contract, got it from The Source. Looking forward to it.

linkboy

CgR3XEf.png

Now, wouldn't this be amazing? There may be a 16gb model for even lower than $399.

Why not save a buck with the 16gb model, if you have a spare Micro SD Card? Android M 6.0 even has the option to unify expanded memory with internal storage.

If true, that's amazing.

I've got an empty 64GB card and my plan was to just get the 16GB one and expand it. Rent hope it's cheaper.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I need to purchase a new phone soon. I can't decide between this or a new iPhone, but I'm leaning toward this. I've never purchased an unlocked phone, I can easily transfer my number and keep my carrier without a new contract, right?

Troy

Banned
I need to purchase a new phone soon. I can't decide between this or a new iPhone, but I'm leaning toward this. I've never purchased an unlocked phone, I can easily transfer my number and keep my carrier without a new contract, right?

The price and the fact that it isn't running iOS is why I'm leaning towards getting this phone this week. If Amazon stocks it.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
The price and the fact that it isn't running iOS is why I'm leaning towards getting this phone this week. If Amazon stocks it.

I've never owned an iPhone, but I was considering it as I couldn't decide on any Android phone, until I came across this one.

Always thought the woodgrain looked boss. Nice specs, I was thinking about upgrading to the M9 at the end of the month (so ready to get rid of this awful S4). I've always like Motorola phones though...

rc213

CgR3XEf.png

My wallet is ready for a T-Mobile version.

Are they keeping the Moto X branding? I was under the impression that in the US they'd get the Droid branding (Droid Turbo 2 and Droid Maxx 2 for the Style and Play, respectively). If these are actually coming out in September that'd be great, I was hoping to pick up a new phone before I go on vacation.

Are they keeping the Moto X branding? I was under the impression that in the US they'd get the Droid branding (Droid Turbo 2 and Droid Maxx 2 for the Style and Play, respectively). If these are actually coming out in September that'd be great, I was hoping to pick up a new phone before I go on vacation.

That's cause everyone thinks the play and the style are the same. They aren't

The play will be branded as the Moto droid in the US. The style/pure will not

SMattera

CgR3XEf.png

Because who knows when it'll get Android M? And the SD card won't offer performance on par with the internal storage.

I'd still go with at least 32GB unless it's much (more than $50) cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom