• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Always make sure to have iCloud backup and syncing turned on. Enable iCloud Photos Library. Purchase a $1 50GB plan if you need to. Be prepared for the future. Never lose anything again.

Personally I use both iCloud services and I manually backup to iTunes on a daily basis out of habit. I'm always prepared. One day I accidentally deleted an important text message thread but hadn't backed up for that day. So I restored from iCloud, which had coincidentally just backed up like a few hours before. Saved my skin. Restored slow as heck though.

I have a question. I always call a certain contact via FaceTime Audio, but I have in their contact info their cell, home, and work numbers. I can't just say "Hey Siri, call Jane" and have it do a FaceTime audio call, and saying "Hey Siri, FaceTime Audio call Jane" is kind of cumbersome to say. Is there a way to set up a default number to dial when I say "Call Jane" through Siri without having to create a different contact card?

I have a question. I always call a certain contact via FaceTime Audio, but I have in their contact info their cell, home, and work numbers. I can't just say "Hey Siri, call Jane" and have it do a FaceTime audio call, and saying "Hey Siri, FaceTime Audio call Jane" is kind of cumbersome to say. Is there a way to set up a default number to dial when I say "Call Jane" through Siri without having to create a different contact card?

Not that I'm aware of. Siri still asks me "which number" when I tell her to call my dad because I have both his home and cell number there, even though I've literally never had her call the home number

mrkgoo

Always make sure to have iCloud backup and syncing turned on. Enable iCloud Photos Library. Purchase a $1 50GB plan if you need to. Be prepared for the future. Never lose anything again.

Personally I use both iCloud services and I manually backup to iTunes on a daily basis out of habit. I'm always prepared. One day I accidentally deleted an important text message thread but hadn't backed up for that day. So I restored from iCloud, which had coincidentally just backed up like a few hours before. Saved my skin. Restored slow as heck though.

On that note, it's ridiculously easy to delete an entire message thread from a user. I think it's because it has the confirm delete or something where it usually has the cancel. At least in the past.

These days you can just swipe to the left and just delete the whole thread, no confirmation required. I just tried it lol

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google Photos is great but it hurts not being baked into the OS like Apple Photos is. Uploading to Google isn't as seamless like it was when I used Android.

I use both now. I prefer Google's. Apple really needs to make free and unlimited photos happen.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
On that note, it's ridiculously easy to delete an entire message thread from a user. I think it's because it has the confirm delete or something where it usually has the cancel. At least in the past.

These days you can just swipe to the left and just delete the whole thread, no confirmation required. I just tried it lol
Destructive operations are SUPPOSED to have clear confirmation. Or at least an undo.

But it wouldn't have been a major issue if I could have just cherry picked what I want to restore from the backup. I don't understand why you can't. You can pick what you want to restore when upgrading your Mac. Let me do it on iOS.

But better yet, just fucking sync our Messages database to iCloud so they can actively sync to our Macs and iPads instead of passively syncing and risking not getting certain ones. I hate that if I want to delete some messages, like a bunch of GIFs or photos I texted or got texted, I have to do it on all my machines. Just sync that shit already so it happens on all devices at once. And when I get a new phone, it can just restore my messages from the cloud instead of requiring me to restore a backup (Which I really don't want to do since all the good stuff is already on iCloud) just to get Messages database back.

And while we're at it. Give us an export feature for messages that lets me export a whole thread to PDF even if it's over 2 years long and has like tens of thousands of messages in it. It's bullshit that I can't jump to the beginning of a message thread. And if I need to scroll to it, I have to spend an hour tapping the top of the screen until I get there, and if I accidentally put it to sleep, it FUCKING RETURNS TO THE BOTTOM OF THE THREAD.

hirokazu

And while we're at it. Give us an export feature for messages that lets me export a whole thread to PDF even if it's over 2 years long and has like tens of thousands of messages in it. It's bullshit that I can't jump to the beginning of a message thread. And if I need to scroll to it, I have to spend an hour tapping the top of the screen until I get there, and if I accidentally put it to sleep, it FUCKING RETURNS TO THE BOTTOM OF THE THREAD.
The real problem is how garbage the Spotlight and search feature is for Messages.

Why doesn't maps have a setting to manually toggle night mode? It's like I have to perform a ritual for it to work, each time something different. Having CarPlay blind you with a white map at 9pm is even more annoying.

Just tested it, its based on ambient light. I started a route, it was white, I covered the light sensor with my palm and it faded to night mode

Possibly tied to auto-brightness as well?

I can only get it to go in night mode if I set a destination. Otherwise, nothing else matters.

Ambient, night shift, auto-brightness...no difference.

I can only get it to go in night mode if I set a destination. Otherwise, nothing else matters.

Ambient, night shift, auto-brightness...no difference.

Ohhhhhh. I was referring to mapping as well. I don't think there is a night mode when you're just searching and setting destinations. It only switches if you're actually navigating

Mortemis

Banned
Seems like iOS 10.3 has fixed my issue where it would take damn near a minute for Bluetooth to actually turn on after try to. Phone also feels a little more smooth. So far so good.

How far back though. Even if it's the first message in a thread with 5000 strings?

I'd be shocked if it could.

Well it only shows you one result per thread. So if you said the same phrase or word multiple times in a conversation with someone it only shows you the most recent one

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Download Google photos and use that for photo backup. It's free and unlimited. 👍

its my sister that needs it, I already have a google drive sub, she says she's not fussed and her friend had some saved so she seems happy enough

Ambitious

I can't look at certain pictures in Photos.app anymore. When I tap on the thumbnail, the full picture appears for a moment, then the app crashes immediately. So far I found three pictures affected by this. I've taken those three consecutively.

Like.. what the hell?

edit: The Mac app does not crash. Still no fucking idea how I'm gonna sort this out. Removing and re-importing them, maybe?

Download Google photos and use that for photo backup. It's free and unlimited. 👍
Regarding google photos, it does back everything up, but it seems to be using double space. It seems to be making folders in google drive full of the same pictures, but I'm not sure why that's happening. Is it safe to delete those?

Ambitious

Yesterday, I used the joystick emoji for the first time. I used it exactly once.
It is now the fourth most frequently used emoji in the emoji keyboard. Makes perfect sense.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It is such crap I can't select YouTube video quality over cellular networks. Why not? I can on my Android phone. It's my data plan and I'm a YouTube Red member.

Absurd.

It is such crap I can't select YouTube video quality over cellular networks. Why not? I can on my Android phone. It's my data plan and I'm a YouTube Red member.

Absurd.

There's a setting you can check/uncheck that says "Play HD over Wi-Fi only". Gives you a small amount of control

Rodin

Just updated to 10.3.1, not sure what bugs it may have introduced but man my i6 is so snappy now. It feels as fast as when i bought it.

Hopefully the battery drain and the obnoxious bug that killed brightness when battery went from 50 to 49% are gone.

Search is completely broken on 10.3.1

Works same as usual for me.

dc3k

Just updated to 10.3.1, not sure what bugs it may have introduced but man my i6 is so snappy now. It feels as fast as when i bought it.

Hopefully the battery drain and the obnoxious bug that killed brightness when battery went from 50 to 49% are gone.

Works same as usual for me.

Maybe something fucked up when I upgraded, but I can't find any apps w/ search. Now I have to figure out what folder everything is in :(

Maybe something fucked up when I upgraded, but I can't find any apps w/ search. Now I have to figure out what folder everything is in :(

I was having some intermittent trouble with spotlight search on the betas. Quick reboot fixed it up each time

Rodin

Update: thankfully the brightness bug is gone. Battery is still shit but it's a 30 months old phone that i use... way too much every day so i guess i can't really complain about that.

Have you tried a soft reboot?

bud

pretty sure this update messed up my wifi connection. sites take longer to load; youtube videos barely play and when they do, they automatically switch to the lowest resolution.

has anyone had any similar experiences?

Ambitious

I can't look at certain pictures in Photos.app anymore. When I tap on the thumbnail, the full picture appears for a moment, then the app crashes immediately. So far I found three pictures affected by this. I've taken those three consecutively.

Like.. what the hell?

edit: The Mac app does not crash. Still no fucking idea how I'm gonna sort this out. Removing and re-importing them, maybe?

Uh, a few more pictures are now also causing crashes. However, when I tapped an unaffected picture and swiped to an affected one, the app did not crash. And afterwards, tapping the affected picture didn't cause a crash anymore. Huh.

mrkgoo

pretty sure this update messed up my wifi connection. sites take longer to load; youtube videos barely play and when they do, they automatically switch to the lowest resolution.

Have you tried rebooting your device?

I have not. Try resetting network settings in General->Reset->Reset Network Settings

Is the problem only on wifi or cellular as well? Multiple wifi connections or just one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom