• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kisaya

Why not backup to a computer if you're worried about losing photos? There are some other techniques as well that don't involve iTunes.

Google search: transfer photos from iphone to computer.

I know I can do that, I just preferred the reassurance of it being okay through iTunes so I wouldn't go through the hassle of manually backing up my photos. Thanks for your helpful response though!

Oynox

I know I can do that, I just preferred the reassurance of it being okay through iTunes so I wouldn't go through the hassle of manually backing up my photos. Thanks for your helpful response though!

I do not know your original problem because I did not read the last page but Google Photos is quite convenient to back up photos as an alternative to the iCloud.

Kisaya

I do not know your original problem because I did not read the last page but Google Photos is quite convenient to back up photos as an alternative to the iCloud.

I had no idea that app existed, thank you :)

Reposting because I'm still having problems:

Hi all, basically had this problem for the past couple of days and was wondering if anyone could help: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7540060?start=0&tstart=0

A week ago my iPhone SE spazzed out and all my photos disappeared, but then magically started reappearing. Didn't think too much about it and continued to go about my day since I didn't think I had lost anything. A couple of days later I noticed that I haven't received any text messages, and when I checked I noticed that everything in my inbox was gone. I look at my storage settings and see that messages is taking up 19GB of my space, so they have to be in there right? Also, I can't see any text messages that I have received and sent out.

I hadn't updated to the newest iOS (was running on 10.1 I believe), so today I backed up my phone and updated to 10.2.1. Still nothing in my iMessages inbox. My last two options is to restore from the backup I just made or to go to the Apple Store. I want to try to restore from backup, but I'm paranoid that I will lose my photos, can someone reassure me that it's included in the backup I just made?

So for the past month or so, my mail app hasn't automatically updated with new emails without me opening the app. Anyone know what could be causing this? It might've started with 10.2.1 but I don't remember.

Sorry if this was answered somewhere.

Gamespawn

So for the past month or so, my mail app hasn't automatically updated with new emails without me opening the app. Anyone know what could be causing this? It might've started with 10.2.1 but I don't remember.

check settings>mail>accounts and make sure fetch new data is set to push to have it download asap.

check settings>mail>accounts and make sure fetch new data is set to push to have it download asap.

It already is. All the mail settings look right. Edit: Actually looking more into it, when I select my mail account, it only has fetch and manual for the schedule. Does this mean it doesn't support push? Used to work just fine.

Ambitious

This happened to me all the time, even before iOS 10. Wasn't able to find a solution, so I switched to the official Gmail app.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
This happened to me all the time, even before iOS 10. Wasn't able to find a solution, so I switched to the official Gmail app.
I tunnel all my Gmail (both receive and send) through an outlook mail for push notifications. Been doing that for years now.

It already is. All the mail settings look right. Edit: Actually looking more into it, when I select my mail account, it only has fetch and manual for the schedule. Does this mean it doesn't support push? Used to work just fine.

Who's your email provider?

If it's gmail they haven't supported push in some time, so you'll have to set it to fetch and then set the fetch schedule

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Depends on the specific issue and the method of backup

Sorry for the long time for my reply, havent looked into this thread for quiete some time.

But does a Restore and A Backup from iCloud play against a try to fix the battery bug where suddenly 30 or 40 percent of the battery life are skipped?

I know, I am annoying with this issue, but I want to know about this before running season starts again. I was just out for a short run and I just barely made it back home.

Edit: Of course I was in this thread, I just have overseen your post as it looks like, urks^^

Sorry for the long time for my reply, havent looked into this thread for quiete some time.

But does a Restore and A Backup from iCloud play against a try to fix the battery bug where suddenly 30 or 40 percent of the battery life are skipped?

I know, I am annoying with this issue, but I want to know about this before running season starts again. I was just out for a short run and I just barely made it back home.

Edit: Of course I was in this thread, I just have overseen your post as it looks like, urks^^

In my experience no, that would work just fine. Restore through iTunes, restore your backup from iCloud, should be good to go a long as the physical battery is doing fine. The restore from iCloud will take a while, be prepared

GAMEPROFF

Banned
In my experience no, that would work just fine. Restore through iTunes, restore your backup from iCloud, should be good to go a long as the physical battery is doing fine. The restore from iCloud will take a while, be prepared
I cant restore from iTunes, I have protected my Backup with a password and have sadly forgotten it... am I fine when I just reset it and then restore from the Cloud?

I cant restore from iTunes, I have protected my Backup with a password and have sadly forgotten it... am I fine when I just reset it and then restore from the Cloud?

Restore has two different definitions in Apple land. It means both to reinstall the operating system, and to bring your stuff back from a backup. Yes it's confusing. You're looking to restore the OS through iTunes and then restore your backup from iCloud

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Safari keeps forgetting the currently active tab. Often I'll have active gaf threads open in separate tabs but I'll open safari and it'll just be a blank page. If I bring up the tab switcher it shows the preview of the page it should be correctly, but then it disappears when I bring it into focus

The other tabs are ok, just the one I open up on. Really annoying

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Another thing I noticed, when I refill the battery my iPhone after its completly empty, the time that the device needs to get around 30-40% is super fast, its like 15-30 minutes with the original Apple gear. I have a hard time remembering how fast it was in the past, but I am sure it always took more time? Is this another symptome of the battery bug?

Sorry to ask so much about that topic, but I am thinking more and more about just get a new battery, since I am not sure if I get a new iPhone this year.

Edit: The App Battery Life says that there is a 49% wear out on the battery... Is this app reliable? Or can maybe the bug also play into this?

Edit2: Used the Apple Service App and send my phone diagnostics... Yeah, the battery seem to be worn out. Seems like I need to find a good repair service. When done in a Apple Store, can I give it to them and take it back like one hour later?

Ambitious

Could someone recommend me a photography app with more timer options than the stock app? In particular, I would like to be able to have the app take pictures repeatedly in a certain interval, e.g. every 10 seconds, until I manually stop it.

hEist

Could someone recommend me a photography app with more timer options than the stock app? In particular, I would like to be able to have the app take pictures repeatedly in a certain interval, e.g. every 10 seconds, until I manually stop it.

Slow Shutter.

gruenel

ProCam does this.

Another thing I noticed, when I refill the battery my iPhone after its completly empty, the time that the device needs to get around 30-40% is super fast, its like 15-30 minutes with the original Apple gear. I have a hard time remembering how fast it was in the past, but I am sure it always took more time? Is this another symptome of the battery bug?

Sorry to ask so much about that topic, but I am thinking more and more about just get a new battery, since I am not sure if I get a new iPhone this year.

Edit: The App Battery Life says that there is a 49% wear out on the battery... Is this app reliable? Or can maybe the bug also play into this?

Edit2: Used the Apple Service App and send my phone diagnostics... Yeah, the battery seem to be worn out. Seems like I need to find a good repair service. When done in a Apple Store, can I give it to them and take it back like one hour later?

Sorry man, I was really hoping a restore would help

Battery repairs are done on-site at Apple Stores but the repair time is fully dependent on how many repairs they have at that moment. 1-3 hours is usually the spread, possibly more if you're in a crazy busy location on a weekend

6S here, so I just noticed today im getting some image retention. Use auto brightness and 90% of the time it's at about 1/3rd brightness. Screen auto locks after 2 minutes. This is a first for me, at least on my phone, I have two plasma tvs. Running a quick YouTube screen wipe fixes it but it's still coming back. Very strange. What would cause this? LCD panel starting to fail?

Apple bought the automation app Workflow, making it totally free starting today.

Here's hoping it becomes a core part of iOS 11! That would be phenomenal

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Apple bought the automation app Workflow, making it totally free starting today.

Whoa what when did that happen. Thats some crazy shit.

Blackhead

Redarse
Apple bought the automation app Workflow...

well that explains the update released today:
This update includes compatibility requirements and other miscellaneous tweaks.
  • Maps actions are now powered by Apple Maps
  • Translate Text is now powered by Microsoft Translate
  • Get Street View Image, Google Chrome, Pocket, LINE, Telegram, Uber, and Workflow Gallery submissions are no longer supported...

Edit: Marco just revealed on the ATP live recording that Workflow sent out legal letters a few weeks ago to companies/authors of the APIs they interface with (including Overcast) to clarify and establish that Workflow can use those APIs. Marco immediately suspected then that Workflow was being acquired and now speculates on this livestream that Google didn't respond to those letters which is why Workflow is removing support (so Apple isn't being a jerk). I don't completely buy that speculation because Google already offers standardized contracts for some of their APIs to companies that want to build a business around it. Obviously Maps action now using Apple Maps is a directive from Apple imo

Whoa what when did that happen. Thats some crazy shit.

So I was listening to a podcast called Connected last week and they were talking about Workflow for a good while and I just had the sensation "Apple is going to buy this app soon"

And holy hell they did

Wow, that's cool. And also rather surprising/ironic/sad considering they just let go their longtime Mac automation Product Manager Sal Soghoian who was in charge of Automator and Applescript.

iOS automation good, Mac automation bad? Weird.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I was listening to a podcast called Connected last week and they were talking about Workflow for a good while and I just had the sensation "Apple is going to buy this app soon"

And holy hell they did

Its a hell of an app. I use to have all sorts of nuts stuff rigged up in it.. but it just kinda fell out of my repertoire. Hard to believe the iOS release/reveal cycle is starting up again..

giga

Can see it becoming integrated in some way and made a little more intuitive. There's still some learning curve to it. I felt Automator was easier to get and use than Workflow.

iOS-only versus CrossPlatform. I own both but stuck with IFTTT for my few tasks

Yeah IFTTT certainly seems to be the more popular of the two. But I imagine Workflow will become deeply integrated with Siri, HomeKit, and other iOS apis in iOS 11.

That kind of scripting is not really something I've ever felt a need for, but if it enables more sophisticated tasks with Siri I'm all for it. Siri feels so braindead sometimes, like when I ask Siri to set up an appointment with one of my contacts, she doesn't set the contact's location as the destination so I have to manually edit the calendar event.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Am I allowed to lock my iPhone with a code before handing it in in a Apple Store for repair when I want my batter replaced? I dont want anyone there to go through my stuff, but I dont know if repair is still possible then.
Find my iPhone is already deactivated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom