• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezuth

Gurman did a pretty reliable job leaking software features for a while there, but it feels like his sources have run a little dry for the past year or so.

There has been a lot of talk that Gurman actually didn't have a lot of sources and just posted stuff that Seth Weintraub got but didn't wanna leak himself. Thus most of the juicy stuff he wrote on 9to5Mac was just stuff Seth got but forwarded.

But Apple considers Paypal a Banking/Money Transfering App and not as a Messengers that also can send money.
WeChat could make a Standalone App for that, pretty sure it would work in the same way.

Snapchat is a messenger that can also send money, no change of policy

You mean it wants 30%?

I'm saying putting aside the fact that WeChat is so, so much more than just a messaging app, if the distinction Apple is really going after is "if you're a messaging app that can also send payment" then why hasn't Snapchat received the same change in policy that WeChat has?

It's very clearly a targeted attempt by Apple at those two specific Chinese apps. I expect them to walk it back by next week because it's a bullshit move that only hurts them

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm saying putting aside the fact that WeChat is so, so much more than just a messaging app, if the distinction Apple is really going after is "if you're a messaging app that can also send payment" then why hasn't Snapchat received the same change in policy that WeChat has?

Thats ok, I just didnt understood from your post if it actually takes the 30% cut or not.

Mortemis

Banned
Looks like a glitch where it's stuck in between the scrolling view and the normal view. I assume a force quit or phone restart fixed it?

It looked a little nice, so I kinda didn't want to fix it, lol

But yeah, once I quit the app and reopened it it was back to normal

Ambitious

I wish there was a way to get rid of the default albums in the Photos app (Selfies, Slo-mo, Bursts and so on). I don't need any of them.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I wish there was a way to get rid of the default albums in the Photos app (Selfies, Slo-mo, Bursts and so on). I don't need any of them.
I have a folder for screenshots because for whatever reason, there's one photo that is classified that way. Unfortunately, it's a good shot of my brother and me at his wedding and I don't want to just delete it. Anyone know how to reclassify it without separating it from all the other wedding photos?

Ambitious

I have a folder for screenshots because for whatever reason, there's one photo that is classified that way. Unfortunately, it's a good shot of my brother and me at his wedding and I don't want to just delete it. Anyone know how to reclassify it without separating it from all the other wedding photos?

I'm not aware of any way. But you could try deleting and re-importing it. If the metadata is stored within Photos.app as opposed to within the picture itself, the wrong classification should be lost.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Was it imported from outside or taken by the phone itself? Images that are imported are classified sometimes based on their filename. So if that photo of you two was imported it might have had a filename iOS thought meant screenshot. What about the resolution? If it's the resolution of the screen it might also count towards classification. If this photo DID come from outside, it might have been a screenshot of a photo (For some reason a lot of people LOVE to do this instead of, you know, SAVING THE IMAGE TO THE PHONE MANUALLY.) from like FaceBook or Twitter or even a screenshot of the photo in their library itself so that would ALSO attribute towards it being a screenshot. Hell, I bet the image file has metadata in it that screenshots get by default that is being captured.

We need more info, but I'm betting it's one of these. (Unless you took it yourself, then it's a problem you can solve with what the poster above said. Export it, rename it and reimport it.)

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm not aware of any way. But you could try deleting and re-importing it. If the metadata is stored within Photos.app as opposed to within the picture itself, the wrong classification should be lost.

Was it imported from outside or taken by the phone itself? Images that are imported are classified sometimes based on their filename. So if that photo of you two was imported it might have had a filename iOS thought meant screenshot. What about the resolution? If it's the resolution of the screen it might also count towards classification. If this photo DID come from outside, it might have been a screenshot of a photo (For some reason a lot of people LOVE to do this instead of, you know, SAVING THE IMAGE TO THE PHONE MANUALLY.) from like FaceBook or Twitter or even a screenshot of the photo in their library itself so that would ALSO attribute towards it being a screenshot. Hell, I bet the image file has metadata in it that screenshots get by default that is being captured.

We need more info, but I'm betting it's one of these. (Unless you took it yourself, then it's a problem you can solve with what the poster above said. Export it, rename it and reimport it.)
I honestly don't remember if it was taken with my phone or my brother's, since this was three years ago. How would I go about deleting and reimporting it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is it possible to restore an iphone from an ipad cloud backup? I bought my wife an SE which should arrive today and I'll need to set it up for her. She already has an ipad so it'd be good to restore from that.

is it possible to restore an iphone from an ipad cloud backup? I bought my wife an SE which should arrive today and I'll need to set it up for her. She already has an ipad so it'd be good to restore from that.

Yes it is. It'll be an option when you select "Restore from iCloud Backup" when setting it up

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I honestly don't remember if it was taken with my phone or my brother's, since this was three years ago. How would I go about deleting and reimporting it?
Well you'd have to have iCloud Photo Library and delete it from the Mac end. Unless you're on Windows. You need to be able to touch the file itself. Get it out of the phone. Maybe run it through software to re-save it and re-import it without whatever iOS uses to determine it as being a screenshot.

Mafro

Does anyone else have a problem with automatic app updates randomly stop working? Seems like every few days I'm having to log out of the app store, restart the phone and log in again to get it working since that seems to be the only fix.

FerranMG

I have this issue with Tweetbot that I'd like to know if anyone has a solution for.
I press on a video, it goes full-screen and the time bar appears at the bottom. After a while, the time bar disappears, and the only thing in the screen is the video. If I want to scroll through the video, I'd touch the screen to make the time bar control appear. But this sometimes works and the time bar appears (much like in any other video played using the standard iOS video controller), and sometimes it doesn't and closes the video.
How do you get around this without going mad?

Does anyone else have a problem with automatic app updates randomly stop working? Seems like every few days I'm having to log out of the app store, restart the phone and log in again to get it working since that seems to be the only fix.

Yes but I just wait a few more days and inevitably they start working again

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Technically a hardware question but it relates to iOS performance so..

Would you buy an iPhone 6 now? My son wants a new phone for his birthday in August and there are good deals on iPhone 6's on cheap contracts. But will it safely last a couple more years without bogging down?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'd say at least a year. But remember that the 6S is much more modern. The 6 doesn't have 3D Touch, which Apple is obviously focusing on and who knows how much of iOS 11 will expect it to be there.

EmiPrime

Would you buy an iPhone 6 now? My son wants a new phone for his birthday in August and there are good deals on iPhone 6's on cheap contracts. But will it safely last a couple more years without bogging down?

No. Any iOS device with less than 2GB RAM is not worth buying and the new iPhone 6 contracts doing the rounds aren't much cheaper than the ones for iPhone 7.

Get a refurbished or discounted unlocked SE instead.

Personally, no, and I say that as a 6 owner who think's it's perhaps the best consumer appliance I've owned.

It's almost 3 years old. It still works well, but it's slightly starting to show it's age. Not really so much on the OS level (updates have been fantastic and have only made the phone better over the years, apps and games still work great). But for browsing, websites can get a bit heavy on occasion. Compared to the SE/6S/7 is a reasonable bit slower. I would get a 6S if you are on a budget. If you can hold out until September everything will drop in price comparatively again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No. Any iOS device with less than 2GB RAM is not worth buying and the new iPhone 6 contracts doing the rounds aren't much cheaper than the ones for iPhone 7.

Get a refurbished or discounted unlocked SE instead.

Personally, no, and I say that as a 6 owner who think's it's perhaps the best consumer appliance I've owned.

It's almost 3 years old. It still works well, but it's slightly starting to show it's age. Not really so much on the OS level (updates have been fantastic and have only made the phone better over the years, apps and games still work great). But for browsing, websites can get a bit heavy on occasion. Compared to the SE/6S/7 is a reasonable bit slower. I would get a 6S if you are on a budget. If you can hold out until September everything will drop in price comparatively again.

Prices on the 6S are still quite close to the prices for 7. Around £30pm. By contrast I can get a 32GB 6 with 1GB data for £17.99 per month.

Note that this is for my son - he currently has a moto g but is constantly running out of space because it has 8GB storage which is mostly used up by google updates. I have a 6s plus which I'm very happy with but I bought that sim free.

I suppose one alternative would be for him to have my 6s+ as I'm hoping to get the 8 if it is a notable step up.

Prices on the 6S are still quite close to the prices for 7. Around £30pm. By contrast I can get a 32GB 6 with 1GB data for £17.99 per month.

Note that this is for my son - he currently has a moto g but is constantly running out of space because it has 8GB storage which is mostly used up by google updates. I have a 6s plus which I'm very happy with but I bought that sim free.

I suppose one alternative would be for him to have my 6s+ as I'm hoping to get the 8 if it is a notable step up.

I guess your country is one of the ones that got that new 32GB 6? Because that wasn't an original option, it was made fairly recently

How old is your son and how long does he plan on keeping it? The 6 series used a weaker series of aluminum than the 6S and 7, so there's a lot more bends and damage that can happen to them even on the smaller ones. My sister fucking trashed her 6, to the point where the last one she got (he had it replaced several times) was bent and the GPS/wifi/Bluetooth chip stopped working.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How old is your son and how long does he plan on keeping it? The 6 series used a weaker series of aluminum than the 6S and 7, so there's a lot more bends and damage that can happen to them even on the smaller ones. My sister fucking trashed her 6, to the point where the last one she got (he had it replaced several times) was bent and the GPS/wifi/Bluetooth chip stopped working.

15. He looks after stuff well though. Looking at prices it's about £10 per month more than his current sim deal, so £240 over a two year term. I can almost buy a decent used 6s for that price so i might go that route. Or by the time the 8 is out my 6s+ won't be worth much more than that, so I could hand it down (it's unlocked from Apple) if he doesn't mind the larger size.

15. He looks after stuff well though. Looking at prices it's about £10 per month more than his current sim deal, so £240 over a two year term. I can almost buy a decent used 6s for that price so i might go that route. Or by the time the 8 is out my 6s+ won't be worth much more than that, so I could hand it down (it's unlocked from Apple) if he doesn't mind the larger size.

Does Apple have a refurbished store in the U.K.? Or are you looking specifically for something on-contract?

hirokazu

6s, if it's cheap and affordable now, sure. 6, no way - do they even sell iPhone 6 still? I thought the lineup is now SE, 6s, 7.

Question: Do you need to get it on contract with the phone, or are there prepaid, month-to-month or other BYO phone plans that are cheaper in the UK? I did the maths and it's not worth getting a phone on a plan in Australia unless you want to get a new phone every two years or you use a shit ton of calls and data. Yes, you get the phone subsidised but you're also end up paying for things you don't need.

I got off that wagon and just buy the phone outright, upgrade in three years instead of two, got a much cheaper plan that better matches what I use and I'm saving hundreds over the course of the three years.

It's almost 3 years old. It still works well, but it's slightly starting to show it's age.
The main issue is the amount of RAM. It's something that was already apparently after the first year, Safari tabs having to reload, opening the Camera app causing a lot of other apps to be unloaded, widgets being unloaded... While the CPU is noticeably slower than its successors, it's still works very well.

If it weren't for the RAM and me wanting to upgrade for a better camera, I'd probably consider holding on to it for four years before changing phones.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
6s, if it's cheap and affordable now, sure. 6, no way - do they even sell iPhone 6 still? I thought the lineup is now SE, 6s, 7.

Question: Do you need to get it on contract with the phone, or are there prepaid, month-to-month or other BYO phone plans that are cheaper in the UK? I did the maths and it's not worth getting a phone on a plan in Australia unless you want to get a new phone every two years or you use a shit ton of calls and data. Yes, you get the phone subsidised but you're also end up paying for things you don't need.

I got off that wagon and just buy the phone outright, upgrade in three years instead of two, got a much cheaper plan that better matches what I use and I'm saving hundreds over the course of the three years.

The main issue is the amount of RAM. It's something that was already apparently after the first year, Safari tabs having to reload, opening the Camera app causing a lot of other apps to be unloaded, widgets being unloaded... While the CPU is noticeably slower than its successors, it's still works very well.

If it weren't for the RAM and me wanting to upgrade for a better camera, I'd probably consider holding on to it for four years before changing phones.

Thanks. Not tied to a contract - he is currently on a sim only with a good deal. Got my wife and daughter SEs only bevpcause they were £15pm including plan which is a lot cheaper than buying the phone outright

this plan is £10pm more than his sim only for the same data. So the 6 is effectively costing £240 over the two years. A 6s even used would be around £350. I'm willing to go that extra mile if it'll last a lot longer

Thanks. Not tied to a contract - he is currently on a sim only with a good deal. Got my wife and daughter SEs only bevpcause they were £15pm including plan which is a lot cheaper than buying the phone outright

this plan is £10pm more than his sim only for the same data. So the 6 is effectively costing £240 over the two years. A 6s even used would be around £350. I'm willing to go that extra mile if it'll last a lot longer

Based on the sturdier construction and the bump in RAM, and the future usability with 3D Touch, I'm very confident in saying a 6S would last significantly longer than a 6

VeeP

If possible I'd say wait a few months and get him a 6S. Price drops will come. And ultimately that'll last him longer and serve him better than if you buy him a 6 right now.

I'm actually using an iPhone 6. And it's still a good phone. But it's showing it's area's in some area. And I'm guessing in 2 years it'll really show its age.

So yea, if possible 6S is the way to go.

Vuze

Based on the sturdier construction and the bump in RAM, and the future usability with 3D Touch, I'm very confident in saying a 6S would last significantly longer than a 6
Yeah also considering the fact that the A9 is in the 2017 iPad, I would imagine the 6S will receive a pretty long treatment with software updates (or the 2017 iPad a pretty short one).

Ambitious

I would like Apple to expand the capabilities of Split View/Slide Over. In particular, I'd like to have more flexibility. I would like to use SO on both sides of the screen, be able to switch both SV apps independently, and be able to swap the two current SV apps with each other, to give a few examples.

Blackhead

Redarse

not to be rude apologies for being rude but i don't understand these questions or your buying strategy. We're in May ― August is three months away. The prices and sales will be very different then.

Moreover your iPhone choices are pretty simple and limited (this isn't Android).
Do you have a budget limit: Then buy him the newest iPhone, with at least 32GB, that you can find within your budget ― whether that's an iPhone 6 or 6s.
No budget limit: Buy him an iPhone 7.

I really can't think of any reason to buy older iPhones models for family members especially if you expect them to use it until it is obsolete.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
not to be rude apologies for being rude but i don't understand these questions or your buying strategy. We're in May ― August is three months away. The prices and sales will be very different then.

Moreover your iPhone choices are pretty simple and limited (this isn't Android).
Do you have a budget limit: Then buy him the newest iPhone, with at least 32GB, that you can find within your budget ― whether that's an iPhone 6 or 6s.
No budget limit: Buy him an iPhone 7.

I really can't think of any reason to buy older iPhones models for family members especially if you expect them to use it until it is obsolete.

That's ok. Just that he started to mention wanting a new phone so I started looking at offers. I'd previously assumed an iPhone was out of the budget range, but some of the 6 offers at £18pm are attractive. Of course I'll keep looking but the 6 might drop off if this is the last stock being cleared out.

And you say buy whatever is in your budget (6 or 6s) which sounds sensible. But I wanted some second opinions whether the 6 would be a practical choice and easily last a couple of years without feeling long in the tooth. Seemed to me a sensible check to make - no point buying something that is comfortably inside budget if it won't last. That'd be a false economy

AdanVC

Should I finally upgrade to iOS 10?? I have an iPhone 6 and I'm still on iOS 9.something. I haven't upgraded simply because they removed the slide to unlock feature but I'm starting to feel how the apps and overall OS runs slower and a little laggish. It's just that ughh, the slide to unlock feature is my everything, lol. So easy and accesible and has saved me a couple times when I'm in a extreme hurry to do a phone call so if I upgrade it will probably take me a while to get used to the new unlock thingy :(

hirokazu

I would like Apple to expand the capabilities of Split View/Slide Over. In particular, I'd like to have more flexibility. I would like to use SO on both sides of the screen, be able to switch both SV apps independently, and be able to swap the two current SV apps with each other, to give a few examples.
I'd like an option the have over/under split view in portrait mode rather than being restricted to side-be-side.

hirokazu

That's ok. Just that he started to mention wanting a new phone so I started looking at offers. I'd previously assumed an iPhone was out of the budget range, but some of the 6 offers at £18pm are attractive. Of course I'll keep looking but the 6 might drop off if this is the last stock being cleared out.

And you say buy whatever is in your budget (6 or 6s) which sounds sensible. But I wanted some second opinions whether the 6 would be a practical choice and easily last a couple of years without feeling long in the tooth. Seemed to me a sensible check to make - no point buying something that is comfortably inside budget if it won't last. That'd be a false economy
If he can wait till September, wait till then for price drops across the range for sure. 6s is a good step up in specs.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use FaceTime via headphones, while simultaneously sending Podcasts audio to a Bluetooth speaker? Or does it have to be entirely one or the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom