• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figure here gets more traffic than the OSX, thread, so.

I recently did a factory reset on my iPhone 6, and now I can't seem to get Handoff for Messages/FaceTime to work between it and my rMBP mid-2014. At all. No code shows up. I feel like I've tried so many different "solutions" on the Internet but they just aren't working out for me.

1) Handoff is enabled on all devices in questions.
2) They're connected to the same WiFi
3) They're connected to Bluetooth
4) They're signed in with the exact same AppleID address

I can't figure out for the life of me why it's being so problematic. Been a good week since my iPhone reset and I've just been struggling along. Don't wanna go ahead and reset OSX entirely, but I doubt that's the problem anyway because it was literally working a week ago. ;-;

What do you mean Handoff for messages/Facetime? Does Handoff for any app work at all? Like is the app not showing on the doc or are your messages/calls not syncing?

Sch1sm

What do you mean Handoff for messages/Facetime? Does Handoff for any app work at all? Like is the app not showing on the doc or are your messages/calls not syncing?

Maybe just saying Handoff wasn't the right choice of wording there. More like I'm just not getting the code for Messages to work when I turn on Text Message Forwarding in the case of iMessage/SMS.

FaceTime's just got outgoing failed calls and won't bring in any incoming ones.

Other things work, like my iCloud tabs on Safari, Notes, etc.

Maybe just saying Handoff wasn't the right choice of wording there. More like I'm just not getting the code for Messages to work when I turn on Text Message Forwarding in the case of iMessage/SMS.

FaceTime's just got outgoing failed calls and won't bring in any incoming ones.

Other things work, like my iCloud tabs on Safari, Notes, etc.

Alright, so, both iMessage and FaceTime implementations are different than Handoff

As long as in the Messages section of the Settings app on your iPhone and the Messages app on your Mac are both signed into the same iCloud account, blue bubble iMessages should by synced automatically. Apple device to Apple device should work right out of the box. Text Message Forwarding handles the green bubble non-Apple SMS messages from other phones, and yes even I have had issues in the code being sent over. You can try signing out of Messages on both devices, deactivating iMessage, and signing back in that might kick it into gear.

FaceTime just requires that both devices be signed into the same account in the FaceTime section of the iPhone Settings app and the FaceTime app on your Mac. Again, signing out and in in those specific places definitely won't hurt.

Handoff is a different process than both those things, which takes care of other stuff

Sch1sm

Alright, so, both iMessage and FaceTime implementations are different than Handoff

As long as in the Messages section of the Settings app on your iPhone and the Messages app on your Mac are both signed into the same iCloud account, blue bubble iMessages should by synced automatically. Apple device to Apple device should work right out of the box. Text Message Forwarding handles the green bubble non-Apple SMS messages from other phones, and yes even I have had issues in the code being sent over. You can try signing out of Messages on both devices, deactivating iMessage, and signing back in that might kick it into gear.

FaceTime just requires that both devices be signed into the same account in the FaceTime section of the iPhone Settings app and the FaceTime app on your Mac. Again, signing out and in in those specific places definitely won't hurt.

Handoff is a different process than both those things, which takes care of other stuff

What's weird is not even my blue bubbles are coming through to Messages. At all. They haven't since the day I did that factory reset. I assumed it was because even the blue messages are being sent directly to my phone number, rather than to the iCloud address I have associated with Messages. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll just try this again in the morning. Appreciate the response, considering the hour. Thank you. ^^

What's weird is not even my blue bubbles are coming through to Messages. At all. They haven't since the day I did that factory reset. I assumed it was because even the blue messages are being sent directly to my phone number, rather than to the iCloud address I have associated with Messages. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll just try this again in the morning. Appreciate the response, considering the hour. Thank you. ^^

When you sign in to iMessage on the phone it links your phone number with your iCloud account, so even if a blue bubble gets sent to your phone number it'll show up on all your devices on that account

Also you're very welcome. This is what I do.

Vuze

They really need to add some sort of sync for Watch notifications. It's annoying to get notified while using the iPad and then getting tapped by the Watch seconds later because of the same notification. Of course I could turn off notifications on the iPad but why should I if I'm already using a device with superior ways to respond to it.
Shared clipboard is a thing, so why isn't "Notification device"?

Whatever's going on in iOS 11/watchOS 4/tvOS whatever version, Apple's done a better job of keeping a lid on it this year than they have for a while. Maybe whoever was talking to 9to5mac got caught and/or clammed up.

They really need to add some sort of sync for Watch notifications. It's annoying to get notified while using the iPad and then getting tapped by the Watch seconds later because of the same notification. Of course I could turn off notifications on the iPad but why should I if I'm already using a device with superior ways to respond to it.
Shared clipboard is a thing, so why isn't "Notification device"?

Even worse is SMS forwarding - read an SMS on one device and it doesn't count as being read on any of the others.

hirokazu

Have you checked to make sure your phone number is still being used for iMessage and FaceTime? Sometimes it can get disassociated. Also as usual try signing out of both services and on all devices and then signing back in, first on the phone.

Sch1sm

When you sign in to iMessage on the phone it links your phone number with your iCloud account, so even if a blue bubble gets sent to your phone number it'll show up on all your devices on that account

Also you're very welcome. This is what I do.

;-; It was linked, at least according to my Mac's Messages settings the AppleID was 100% associated with my phone number.

Have you checked to make sure your phone number is still being used for iMessage and FaceTime? Sometimes it can get disassociated. Also as usual try signing out of both services and on all devices and then signing back in, first on the phone.

Yeah, in the settings for both the number is the main thing being sent from, and its checked off for receiving.

---

So, this is weird, but. Today I came in after work, opened up my MacBook, and Messages started going insane. A week's worth of text message forwarding codes suddenly showed up, and my messages were all syncing again. lmfao. Hit cancel for legitimately 5 minutes straight until all the codes were done, turned it on in my phone's settings, code showed up. FaceTime calls are working again. I didn't even do anything. Just sorted itself. Guess it was super backed up.

I'll just take the blessing, lol. \o/

Good stuff, I really like the Safari redesign. Hope to see some of this in iOS 11.

Speaking of iOS 11, I'm shocked we don't have more leaks/rumors about what changes it'll bring. Usually we've got a pretty good idea of what to expect with less than a week before the show, but this year, I've heard nothing.

giga

Halide is awesome but I was wondering why my raws looked so terrible in the photos app. Obscura's dev chimed in on why. Yikes I hope that's fixed. If macOS can generate HQ previews of raws, so should iOS. Limit it to A9+ if you must.

DYIjryc.png

Link

The Autumn Wind
Has anyone else been having trouble with Maps since he last update? It's having trouble pinpointing my location. It has a general idea of where I am, but it will be frozen in that spot for a while then finally "jump" to around where I'm at again and the process keeps repeating. Google Maps is having the same issue. Very annoying when I'm driving.

marcod

Has anyone else been having trouble with Maps since he last update? It's having trouble pinpointing my location. It has a general idea of where I am, but it will be frozen in that spot for a while then finally "jump" to around where I'm at again and the process keeps repeating. Google Maps is having the same issue. Very annoying when I'm driving.

I had that issue and it turned out that the gps on my phone was broken. Needed to get it replaced.

If it's happening in two apps it's likely hardware...

Vuze

Even my small local 24 hour donut shop takes Apple Pay now

Big companies ain't got no excuse
Meanwhile in Germany/Austria... cricket.gif
Hoping for an announcement this year, rumor has it it will finally launch in Q3/Q4. I wonder if a credit card is a fixed requirement for Apple Pay though; they are pretty rare around here, only ~6% of retail transactions are done via CC. Would be sweet if your bog standard ec worked as well.

Number45

It's a shame the limit on Apple Pay transactions are as low as they are, otherwise I'd use it a lot more. £30 here outside of the Apple Stores I believe, so can't often use it for petrol (which is where I see it most often).

gamma

It's a shame the limit on Apple Pay transactions are as low as they are, otherwise I'd use it a lot more. £30 here outside of the Apple Stores I believe, so can't often use it for petrol (which is where I see it most often).

Don't you just have to enter the PIN if you're over the limit?

giga

Wasn't this just lifted?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Meanwhile in Germany/Austria... cricket.gif
Hoping for an announcement this year, rumor has it it will finally launch in Q3/Q4. I wonder if a credit card is a fixed requirement for Apple Pay though; they are pretty rare around here, only ~6% of retail transactions are done via CC. Would be sweet if your bog standard ec worked as well.
Ec?

Debit cards work just as credit cards do for what it's worth. Just depends on your issuing bank supporting it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
News to me if that's the case! Every time I forget I just get told there's a £30 limit without an option to override. I'll try the next time I go in for petrol.

I think it was lifted. But the limit was the same for debit cards so it wasn't an extra block or anything

Vuze

Ec?

Debit cards work just as credit cards do for what it's worth. Just depends on your issuing bank supporting it.
Ah yeah, I guess debit card is the overall name. Here's to hope my issuing bank will support it whenever Apple Pay launches then (it should, they are pretty good with their online banking and other services but you never know how they'll act when a third party comes into play - fees are apparently what's holding back the whole thing).

Comcast now lets you pay bills in the app with Apple Pay, so I can finally remove my card from my account.

Really cool, hope other companies follow!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If I'm switching to a new phone, can I set the new one up before wiping the old one - just to make sure it's working ok first?

hirokazu

note to self: set up google authenticator on new device before resetting old one. Fuck. Oh well, at least lastpass is insecure enough to just let me disable two-factor by sending me an email link..
Switch to Authy. My sister got her iPhone replaced, restored from an encrypted iTunes backup and Google Authenticator was blank. That's some bullshit. So I switched everyone over to Authy and never looked back. Cloud backup, multiple device, passcode/Touch ID support. Google Authenticator ain't shit. It even has an Apple Watch app which is cool super handy.

Lots of places have no limit, Sainsbury's, Aldi, Lidl, most places you can eat out.

If the chip and pin device still says present or insert card on the screen and the transaction is over £30 it will work with Apple Pay.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Switch to Authy. My sister got her iPhone replaced, restored from an encrypted iTunes backup and Google Authenticator was blank. That's some bullshit. So I switched everyone over to Authy and never looked back. Cloud backup, multiple device, passcode/Touch ID support. Google Authenticator ain't shit. It even has an Apple Watch app which is cool super handy.
1Password is great at this too, password manager and 2FA support in one (same standard as Google/Authy). Plus let's you see 2FA codes on your PCs also.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's weird how my iPad always receives message notifications before my phone does - even SMS. Assuming they're going through the phone, why wouldnthenohine not be surfacing them faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom