• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Steelrain

Hopefully while they toiled and slaved over this update they saw fit to fix the wifi switch bug for the 4S. I'm tired of this shit.

mrkgoo

And then what?

I had a small bump.

The other contains all sorts of things, sometimes it's random caches and lost install files (these get cleaned up on a restore).

Other times it's actually app data that doesn't get cleaned up because it's necessary.

I suspect 6.1 shifted some data from being recognised as something else to other that caused a bump.

I've long since stopped bothering about thinking about my 'other'. It's not worth it. Occasionally do a restore, but that's about it. I haven't done a restore on my iphone 5 yet.

More recently, it has become easier to delete data on a per-app basis, so you could probably clear some other data by looking at which apps use your storage the most.

Steelrain

Yeah, after updating...wi-fi still disabled.

Why are these motherfuckers so incompetent? This is a very widespread problem and they haven't done anything to address it.

Sigh....I'll just go bitch at them tomorrow I guess.

Updated. But now I get a nice loop of continuing to have to enter my itunes password. It kicked me off iMessage and FaceTime, as well as iTunes Match, and trying to enter in my password is doing nothing. I turn on the phone, I have to enter my password. Then a few seconds later, I have to enter it again. I click cancel, and it immediately asks for a password again.

Can't use my phone! yay!

The best thing about this update I've found that is un-documented is that when I connect my iphone to the in-car system in my fiat 500, it no longer forces the "accessory connected" screen making you use the
abysmal
in-car system to choose your music. This is a source of great excitement to me. Finally I can just choose music on the damn phone from my in-car cradle.

giga

The best thing about this update I've found that is un-documented is that when I connect my iphone to the in-car system in my fiat 500, it no longer forces the "accessory connected" screen making you use the
abysmal
in-car system to choose your music. This is a source of great excitement to me. Finally I can just choose music on the damn phone from my in-car cradle.
Oh my god I hope this is the same with my Accord.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I was updating an iPhone 4 to 6.1 but half way through iTunes displayed an unknown error and stopped. It then put the phone into recovery mode which deleted everything but the OS is reporting it's been updated to 6.1.

I have no idea what I'm doing. Everything seems to be working fine and iTunes is telling me it's up-to-date now. Should I be worried?

Vyer

I didn't have major wifi problems, but it definitely seems snappier after the update.

I was updating an iPhone 4 to 6.1 but half way through iTunes displayed an unknown error and stopped. It then put the phone into recovery mode which deleted everything but the OS is reporting it's been updated to 6.1.

I have no idea what I'm doing. Everything seems to be working fine and iTunes is telling me it's up-to-date now. Should I be worried?

Probably not. You could always restore again if you wanted I suppose.

Any reason you didn't do the update OTA?

Updated. But now I get a nice loop of continuing to have to enter my itunes password. It kicked me off iMessage and FaceTime, as well as iTunes Match, and trying to enter in my password is doing nothing. I turn on the phone, I have to enter my password. Then a few seconds later, I have to enter it again. I click cancel, and it immediately asks for a password again.

Can't use my phone! yay!

If its rejecting your password, I'd log into the apple ID site just to be sure something funny isn't going on with your account and that the password is ok.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
If its rejecting your password, I'd log into the apple ID site just to be sure something funny isn't going on with your account and that the password is ok.

It was rejecting my password as well so I just skipped that step and everything seems to working without it. I've successfully downloaded an app, used Facetime and iTunes match. I've also logged on to apple ID on my computer using the same password without issue.

iDunno

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Probably not. You could always restore again if you wanted I suppose.

Any reason you didn't do the update OTA?

I just had it connected, I didn't really think about it tbh. In the last 10 minutes or so I checked and some of the data stored using iCloud came back so it's not a total loss.

Still pretty annoying that I don't know what the error is/was and if it's going to occur again.

Vyer

It was rejecting my password as well so I just skipped that step and everything seems to working without it. I've successfully downloaded an app, used Facetime and iTunes match. I've also logged on to apple ID on my computer using the same password without issue.

iDunno

Yeah, I've seen that before, like there's just a delay as services reconnect, but his didn't sound like something he could skip.

I just had it connected, I didn't really think about it tbh. In the last 10 minutes or so I checked and some of the data stored using iCloud came back so it's not a total loss.

Still pretty annoying that I don't know what the error is/was and if it's going to occur again.

Part of the reason I was glad to move away from syncing with iTunes at all. OTA process has been fairly painless for me so far.

Posted this on the iPhone 5 thread, but perhaps here is the adecquate place to get an answer.

Does anyone managed to get autofill /auto-login to work properly for Wifi? Still can't get it to work on 6.1

Enco

So they reverted iTunes Match to how it was in iOS 5 and edited the lockscreen music icons?

Why did it take so long to do that?

Anyone know why my phone randomly shuts off at around 20% and sometimes 30%? It just closes down and asks me to plug it in to charge. 5 minutes later it temporarily opens again

I think people expect too much of point releases. Some new things slip in, but they're mostly meant to be backwards compatible improvements.

This one was odd in that it didn't add much at all even as far as new APIs, but all that's going to mean is that both developers and users are going to have high expectations for iOS 7. Given the huge changes that have gone on in engineering, this next six months of iOS development is going to be under a pretty big microscope.

LCfiner

This point release has very, very little in it. there's that Mapkit API but not much else (better lockscreen music controls!). Can't help but feel that the iOS group is trying to get its shit together with the Forstall/ Federighi transition.

fingers crossed for a more ambitious and better executed iOS 7. overall, 6 was a weak update.

mrkgoo

This point release has very, very little in it. there's that Mapkit API but not much else (better lockscreen music controls!). Can't help but feel that the iOS group is trying to get its shit together with the Forstall/ Federighi transition.

fingers crossed for a more ambitious and better executed iOS 7. overall, 6 was a weak update.

Certainly not much was added in ios6. That said, I moved from an iPhone 3G on iOS 4.2 to an iPhone 5 with iOS 6. Sure I used ios5 on my iPad, but it was still a major leap. Siri was a revelation!

I think iOS 5 was one of the biggest leaps yet so I guess it's not totally reasonable to expect just as big a jump. But like you say, I have high hopes for iOS 7 being something great!

No real complaints with iOS 6 as a basic OS though.

hirokazu

Wow. Huge backlash!

Damn, Apple, iOS7 better be a fucking revolution to make up for 6.1 (and 6.0 to a lesser extent).

4 months and a bare minimum of new features, meanwhile longstanding bugs remain unfixed.

Ashhong

Alright they made the lock screen music player and album art so much nicer! No longer is there a lame gap on the album art. I might have preferred to see a progress bar instead of a volume slider though.

Bgamer90

Banned
People were actually expecting a big update in an Apple OS -.1 update?

Heh, ok. Kinda strange to me but whatever.

Anyway, I like the new music player layout in the locked screen. And umm... yeah, that's it. Nothing much else to say.

Looking forward to this summer though. Have a feeling that iOS 7 will have pretty decent sized improvements due to the changes at Apple as well as feedback from consumers & tech journalists.

Quick

Banned
Didn't expect much of an update considering I've barely seen anything related to 6.1.

Apple probably has the iOS team focused on iOS 7, with a handful of staff doing the 6.1 update. I'm just hoping that whenever 7 comes out, the 4S still gets all/most of the features introduced.

rezuth

Wow. Huge backlash!

Damn, Apple, iOS7 better be a fucking revolution to make up for 6.1 (and 6.0 to a lesser extent).

4 months and a bare minimum of new features, meanwhile longstanding bugs remain unfixed.

Well its kinda expected given the situation they had earlier.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
iOS 7 is where Apple needs to pull something amazing out of their hat to get themselves back on top again. Let's hope Tim has the team locked up in their lab 24/7 to get it done.

mrkgoo

Alright they made the lock screen music player and album art so much nicer! No longer is there a lame gap on the album art. I might have preferred to see a progress bar instead of a volume slider though.

I've wanted a progress bar on lock screen for the longest time. Volume controls feel a bit redundant when you actually have hardware buttons.

FerranMG

6.1 is underwhelming, and so was 6.0.

I was really hoping 7.0 would be a great update, but with the mid-year change from Forstall to Ive, I fear 7.0 will be half baked and 8.0 will be the next major upgrade.
I really, really wish that's not the case, though. iOS has been stale lately.

6.1 is underwhelming, and so was 6.0.

I was really hoping 7.0 would be a great update, but with the mid-year change from Forstall to Ive, I fear 7.0 will be half baked and 8.0 will be the next major upgrade.
I really, really wish that's not the case, though. iOS has been stale lately.

Forstall -> Craig Federighi

aka Hair Force One

Steelrain

People were actually expecting a big update in an Apple OS -.1 update?

Heh, ok. Kinda strange to me but whatever.

Anyway, I like the new music player layout in the locked screen. And umm... yeah, that's it. Nothing much else to say.

Looking forward to this summer though. Have a feeling that iOS 7 will have pretty decent sized improvements due to the changes at Apple as well as feedback from consumers & tech journalists.

I think people were expecting them to fix what 6.0 broke at a minimum.

Mindwipe

I think people were expecting them to fix what 6.0 broke at a minimum.

Yup. Especially after five months.

The app store having it's Android 1.2 style scrolling fixed doesn't change the fact it's navigation has been broken, and the delta update replaces virtually the entire codebase - why?

It's also done nothing to improve my battery. In fact in my completely unscientific test it's worse.

Number45

Has anyone been able to confirm that they've fixed the deleting music with iTunes match problem? I'm upgrading anyway, but I'm not going to fuck around with my music setup again just to find I still can't manage my music on the phone.

Has anyone been able to confirm that they've fixed the deleting music with iTunes match problem? I'm upgrading anyway, but I'm not going to fuck around with my music setup again just to find I still can't manage my music on the phone.

I tried individually downloading a few songs from Match last night and then individually deleting those songs from my phone and it seemed to work correctly.

Mindwipe

Apple should be concerned that Manga Camera has just updated allowing you to use existing pictures from the camera roll, and I consider that to be a MUCH bigger deal than iOS 6.1.

Kareha

Dunno if anyone else has noticed but they've changed the layout of the Music app:

aiqToqb.png

Track times are now underneath the track name, and reduced the size of the fonts to.

Top Bottom