• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

jts

...hate me...
So it's a beta gm? Release the GM apple, I want my jailbreak!
It is the GM. With unconventional naming.

This would never happen under Steve.

More seriously, it may have to do with Forstall's departure. Things are a-changing.

Now, I need me a link! Googling and searching on Twitter like a crack addict.

DarkFlow

Banned
It is the GM. With unconventional naming.

This would never happen under Steve.

More seriously, it may have to do with Forstall's departure. Things are a-changing.

Now, I need me a link! Googling and searching on Twitter like a crack addict.
Ahh I see, also from what macrumors says, all they did was update the baseband from beta 4. Now the wait for a jb starts, I'm not updating my ipad till then.

No release notes or API diffs. Unless they're purposely being coy about this release to hide something new it feels like the process of getting this update out broke down somehow.

hirokazu

Beta 5 without UDID restrictions? Maybe their new convention is to call them all betas until the actual public release, even the GM. Or this is actually beta 5 and GM will have some as yet unrevealed features.

Either way, the public release is apparently imminent since Tim Cook said at the earnings conference that they'd be expanding LTE to a lot of new carriers next week and iOS 6.1 is required to receive LTE on those carriers.

muddream

Banned
I need some help understanding notification center. This angry bird keeps telling me to log in to get a free fruit and I think he's being rude. I turned notification center off for those angry birds, but they keep bugging me...what am I doing wrong?

jts

...hate me...
I need some help understanding notification center. This angry bird keeps telling me to log in to get a free fruit and I think he's being rude. I turned notification center off for those angry birds, but they keep bugging me...what am I doing wrong?
You have to turn off the other options as well. Being on NC just makes sure their notification is persistent and shows on the NC pane when you pull it down.

Anyway guys, I'm on 6.1 and son I'm disappoint. So many months for this.

At least they fixed a stupid Safari bug.

Red

I'm giving up my Razr Maxx for an iPhone 4S. Gonna miss swype and widgets, but I'm mostly happy with the switch... So sick of the bugs, crashes, and laggy interface of android, and I'm looking forward to having my data sync with my iPad.

But! I got the phone used, and it has all the previous owner's contacts. I wiped data but they are still there. Is there a way to batch wipe them, or do I have to do it one by one?

MasLegio

Banned
I'm giving up my Razr Maxx for an iPhone 4S. Gonna miss swype and widgets, but I'm mostly happy with the switch... So sick of the bugs, crashes, and laggy interface of android, and I'm looking forward to having my data sync with my iPad.

But! I got the phone used, and it has all the previous owner's contacts. I wiped data but they are still there. Is there a way to batch wipe them, or do I have to do it one by one?

factory reset in itunes
should also be able to do it directly on the phone as well I think

Link

The Autumn Wind
So my aunt who is visiting from Long Island has an iPad 2 that is still on iOS 4, and she asked if I could update it so she can update a bunch of apps and use iMessage. My cousin initially set it up for her on her computer, but otherwise, my aunt never uses iTunes.

I downloaded iTunes on my mother's PC and authorized it for my aunt's iPad, then synced it and created a backup. When I click on update, it warns me that all music and media will be erased. She doesn't have any music, so I'm not worried about that, but will that delete all the photos from her camera roll? It's only talking about synced photos, right? She has a ton of pictures on the thing and I don't want to take a guess and lose them all.

So my aunt who is visiting from Long Island has an iPad 2 that is still on iOS 4, and she asked if I could update it so she can update a bunch of apps and use iMessage. My cousin initially set it up for her on her computer, but otherwise, my aunt never uses iTunes.

I downloaded iTunes on my mother's PC and authorized it for my aunt's iPad, then synced it and created a backup. When I click on update, it warns me that all music and media will be erased. She doesn't have any music, so I'm not worried about that, but will that delete all the photos from her camera roll? It's only talking about synced photos, right? She has a ton of pictures on the thing and I don't want to take a guess and lose them all.

Pull the photos off first? My assumption with those syncs is that it's the end of everything, so I make sure and do full backups.

Tobor

You should be fine. The camera roll is included in the backup you created.

Red

factory reset in itunes
should also be able to do it directly on the phone as well I think
I thought I did that. Wiped data + settings. Is there a different method?

And battery life coming from a Razr Maxx is not great. I expected that, but it's a little annoying all the same. The phone frustrated me to no end, but I really loved its battery.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Pull the photos off first? My assumption with those syncs is that it's the end of everything, so I make sure and do full backups.
She has literally hundreds of photos and it would take an eternity, because my mom's computer isn't the fastest. I might just bite the bullet and do that, though.

You should be fine. The camera roll is included in the backup you created.
That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to be absolutely sure, and Google isn't giving me anything definitive.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is 6.1b5 only available on iTunes using Restore? Doesn't seem to be up on OTA and restoring is a pain in the arse.

Traditional GM builds, which this supposedly is one of, aren't available over OTA(until public release). Betas and GM/Public builds use two different OTA server channels to pull updates and there's no cross-over traffic between them.

Is there a way to make a default browser on the phone? It gets annoying having to switch to chrome.
No, Apple is confident enough in their software. They don't need to let users pick a default browser, because Safari is without a doubt the best for iOS.

Traditional GM builds, which this supposedly is one of, aren't available over OTA(until public release). Betas and GM/Public builds use two different OTA server channels to pull updates and there's no cross-over traffic between them.

Important that people do a manual update/restore if the expiration date for beta 4 being tomorrow is true.

Just download the IPSW, option-click update and choose the restore image. Should do a simple update as you'd expect from OTA.

serious question, why does Apple get away with something that Microsoft has lost over for years.

Because there's choice. Some people dislike Apple's strong opinions and choose to use other platforms. That Apple has competition keeps them responsible for choices like limiting the default apps.

I'm personally against monopoly laws, but they're basically an option for the government to gimp a company that has snuffed out all of its competition. I find the idea of government interfering in markets in this manner distasteful, but that's a whole different conversation.

mrkgoo

She has literally hundreds of photos and it would take an eternity, because my mom's computer isn't the fastest. I might just bite the bullet and do that, though.

That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to be absolutely sure, and Google isn't giving me anything definitive.

Camera toll is included in backups.

When it says it will erase music and media, it's because you are creating a new sync setup and any media such as music and SYNCED photos will disappear. Camera roll is not synced.

There is a slight grey area with photos that are imported onto an iDevice that aren't synced and aren't in camera roll.

They should be included in the backup, but in my experience, iCloud restore chose not to restore some of those (possibly that way they were imported lead it to think they were synced).

Another extra insurance is to just dump all the images on the device to a folder using image capture or just copying them.

LCfiner

Microsoft got in trouble for using monopoly position in one market to try to influence another.

Apple does not have a monopoly position. if people really dislike Apple's lack of user choice in iOS, there's plenty of viable competition out there. the same could not be said for Windows in the 90s

jts

...hate me...
Is 6.1b5 only available on iTunes using Restore? Doesn't seem to be up on OTA and restoring is a pain in the arse.
Nah, you don't need to restore. Update in the same way you would restore (shift on Windows; alt on Mac + press UPDATE), and it's easy and fast.

Regarding 6.1. Yeah it's a bit lackluster, but I just saw one thing. That new lockscreen music player is SO much better looking. Wow. It doesn't add anything new really but it already makes the phone look more modern.
Now to get rid of the stupid looking clock.

Microsoft got in trouble for using monopoly position in one market to try to influence another.

Apple does not have a monopoly position. if people really dislike Apple's lack of user choice in iOS, there's plenty of viable competition out there. the same could not be said for Windows in the 90s

well Microsoft is still haunted by their ghosts of christmas past then...

Tobor

As long as you have a backup, you're good. I've been upgrading iOS devices for years, and the camera roll is always in the backup.

I should have been clearer before, it will definitely work.

hirokazu

There is a slight grey area with photos that are imported onto an iDevice that aren't synced and aren't in camera roll.

They should be included in the backup, but in my experience, iCloud restore chose not to restore some of those (possibly that way they were imported lead it to think they were synced).

Anything synced from iTunes is not backed up. The way it works is iOS backups only copy stuff that only exists on the phone - Camera Roll for example. If you synced your own media, it figures that it'll be copied over the next time you sync with iTunes. For App Store and iTunes Store content, you can either sync it back through iTunes or iCloud.

hirokazu

What about ibooks?
That works the same. If you synced your own PDFs and EPUBs through iTunes, it'll restore it on next sync. The ones you bought from iBooks Store can be restored from iTunes or iCloud.

The thing to take note is that restores don't always go perfectly, so always have multiple backups on iCloud and your computer of all your stuff just in case!

Blackhead

Redarse
No, Apple is confident enough in their software. They don't need to let users pick a default browser, because Safari is without a doubt the best for iOS.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not (what's that line about any true believer comment being indistinguishable from satire). Apple's stated excuse for not allowing the changing of defaults is that is will supposedly cause confusion for users with the duplicated functionality, implying that Apple isn't confident that users can distinguish their 'superior' browser from the alternatives.

Link

The Autumn Wind
That works the same. If you synced your own PDFs and EPUBs through iTunes, it'll restore it on next sync. The ones you bought from iBooks Store can be restored from iTunes or iCloud.

The thing to take note is that restores don't always go perfectly, so always have multiple backups on iCloud and your computer of all your stuff just in case!
This is an iPad 2 using iOS 4. iCloud isn't an option. One of the reasons I'm doing this for her.

jts

...hate me...
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not (what's that line about any true believer comment being indistinguishable from satire). Apple's stated excuse for not allowing the changing of defaults is that is will supposedly cause confusion for users with the duplicated functionality, implying that Apple isn't confident that users can distinguish their 'superior' browser from the alternatives.
Source?

mrkgoo

Anything synced from iTunes is not backed up. The way it works is iOS backups only copy stuff that only exists on the phone - Camera Roll for example. If you synced your own media, it figures that it'll be copied over the next time you sync with iTunes. For App Store and iTunes Store content, you can either sync it back through iTunes or iCloud.

That's the idea yes. But what about content that is not synced but imported? Ie photos loaded from a camera or USB stick?

I did this for my parents iPad and the iCloud backup size would suggest that those photos are in it (how else would the backup size be 3GB - confirmed by the size of the photos app backup), but during a restore many albums did NOT redownload those images. That said I think there must've been a fault in the backup or the restore, because the thumbnails for those photos were there, just not the actual files.

hirokazu

This is an iPad 2 using iOS 4. iCloud isn't an option. One of the reasons I'm doing this for her.

I would do an iTunes backup on at least two computers then, and also copy out all the photos in the camera roll too. If you're using a Mac, you can use Image Capture to do that. I think on Windows, the iPhone gets mounted as a digital camera for taking out pictures?

MasLegio

Banned
I would do an iTunes backup on at least two computers then, and also copy out all the photos in the camera roll too. If you're using a Mac, you can use Image Capture to do that. I think on Windows, the iPhone gets mounted as a digital camera for taking out pictures?

yes, in windows a folder appears containing all the photos.

I also suggest taking no risks and that you make a manual backup of the photos

you should also make a separate backup of the photos on dvdr or memory card so she has them on another location. If the photos has any value to her, that is.

mrkgoo

So now that 6.1 is out, I believe there were some minor fixes and improvements around...what do we know about?

Something about music playing and lock screen?
Passbook default screen has changed.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Button layout on the lock-screen for playing music has changed for the better
iTunes Match now has individual downloads and deletions of songs again.

flyover

Has anyone been able to install 6.1 on 5th gen iPod Touch? Over the weekend, a bunch of devs (myself included) couldn't install the new beta version. And now the same thing is happening with the public version. Looking at the Apple discussion forums, it's not working. (In iTunes, you get a "This device is not eligible..." error. Over-the-air, you get a bogus "You're not connected to the Internet..." error.)

Looks like someone screwed up the pre-install OS verification. When the device tries to contact Apple, it fails (both in iTunes and over-the-air updates). Looks like someone in Apple may have forgotten to switch the verification to point to the final public server from the internal testing server.

Other devices are having no (or few) issues. But the 5th gen Touch... no dice. Not good.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
This seems to be it;

This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:

- LTE support for more carriers (complete list of supported carriers at www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/)
- Purchase movie tickets through Fandango with Siri (USA only)
- iTunes Match subscribers can now download individual songs from iCloud
- New button to reset the Advertising Identifier

New LTE carriers for iPhone 5, iPad (4th) and iPad Mini supported in the update include:

- USA: Alaska Communications, Alaska GCI, Bluegrass Cellular, C Spire, Cellcom, Pioneer Cellular
- Canada: MTS, Sasktel
- Puerto Rico: Claro, Open Mobile
- Croatia: T-Mobile, VIPNet
- Denmark: 3, Telenor, Telia
- Finland: DNA, Elisa, Sonera
- Greece: Cosmote
- Hungary: T-Mobile
- Italy: 3, TIM, Vodafone
- Kuwait: Zain
- Luxembourg: Tango
- Philippines: Globe, SMART
- Portugal: Optimus, TMN, Vodafone
- Saudi Arabia: Mobily, Zain
- South Africa: Vodacom
- Switzerland: Swisscom
- UAE: DU, Etisalat

Noema

Updating to 6.1 OTA as I type. Judging from the release notes, it's one of the thinnest point releases in iOS version history. I guess we could say that iOS is fast maturing, and there's less and less they could add to it. That's a nice way of saying that Apple is really scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point. Compared to previous point releases:

1.1 the iTunes Store
2.1 some earphone button gestures and Genius Playlists
2.2 Google Street View, walking directions, and Emojis
3.1: Fast forward / rewind via headphones, access to several APIs like Maps and Camera for third party Apps
4.1 HDR photos, TV rentals, HD video uploads, Ping
4.2 Air Print, Air Play
4.3 WiFi Hotspot
5.1 Face Detection and Video Stabilization
6.1 Siri can buy movie tickets (US only)

Anything that could be considered even remotely interesting is probably being saved for iOS 7.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Just updated, and noticed my "Other" data has ballooned to almost 2GB. I think I'm just gonna do a full restore. All I need to do is Restore iPhone, then Restore Backup, right?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Wow, what an amazing update! Boy, iOS sure is innovating and improving at breakneck speeds. Why don't they fix the crappy notification clear icons? That's an easy x.1 update inclusion.

My Nexus 10 can't get here soon enough. I'm handing down my iPad 3. I didn't think I'd outgrow iOS on my tablet like I did my phone. But the constraint of not changing default apps is rough.

Thankfully, I don't use many apps. Android tablets have me covered in what I use. I would be forced to stay with iOS if I did, IMO.

I think this is the saddest x.1 OS update I've witnessed so far.

Ironically, the best think thing update brings is the release of an untethered jailbreak. I really can't wait to remove the lock screen from my iPad.
KuGsj.gif

lionelhutz

Just updated, and noticed my "Other" data has ballooned to almost 2GB. I think I'm just gonna do a full restore. All I need to do is Restore iPhone, then Restore Backup, right?

If you restore from a backup there's a good chance you'll still have 2GB in other space. If you want to make sure it's gone then setup the phone as new after the factory restore.

Top Bottom