• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

I honestly don't know what he is talking about. looks the exact same to me.

SMH

The menu isn't a drawer anymore and looks different from what I remember:
X5vwg.jpg

jts

...hate me...
b2 seems faster and more stable. Good stuff. Happy about the music player especially, it was slow as molasses on the iPhone 4 and started bugging out after a while on the iPad 3, no issues so far.

btw, really digging the new design on the iPhone and the reflective metallic button keeps making me all giddy.

jts

...hate me...
Shit. I've lost all my photos and videos on the iPhone with this update.

What the hell.

edit: crisis averted, it just didn't restore automatically for some reason. Took a new pic and it started restoring.

KtSlime

This is a goddamn tent pole right here. Can't believe it's only come up in the thread now.

My sister hates computers but loves her iPad. The inability to post images on websites was her biggest complaint (not running java to get coupons is complaint #2). This is the center tent pole.

It's not iPad only, it's just that imgur doesn't think that iPhones can do that so it tries to redirect you. I just uploaded that last image to imgur with my iPhone.

Okay I switched the to "original" version of site and tried uploading. It uploads successfully. But then it doesn't redirect me to the photo I just uploaded.

Appleman

Minor annoyance is that the Cut/Copy menu seems to be delayed a bit now which messes up my usual flow of tapping... Keyboard clicks working again is much appreciated

numble

Some before/after Maps screenshots from screenshots taken at beginning of beta and today.

biks8l.jpg
GBeSFl.jpg

X8UFW.png
doaFXl.jpg

c1dPQl.jpg
UIKNgl.jpg

QgJrUl.jpg
nZUDAl.jpg

a9K7Kl.jpg
lLlSRl.jpg

I use an app called imgurfree, but I think the dev took it off the store in favor of a paid app.

KtSlime

Some before/after Maps screenshots from screenshots taken at beginning of beta and today.
GBeSFl.jpg

Ugh, I hope they decide to redo the landmarks in kanji. 医療法人原三信病院 is much easier to read than イリョウホウジンハラサンシンビョウイン, fucking hate long strings of katakana.

Utako

Banned
Fanboys downplaying the lack of Street View is so :eyeroll.

If you're ever going someplace you haven't been, it's an invaluable tool. I thought that 3D would be Apple's replacement, but it seems like their 3D implementation is very gimmicky.

noah111

Still Alive
I never used street view practically speaking, but it was always fun to look around or show off to friends on an iPad for example.

numble

If you're ever going someplace you haven't been, it's an invaluable tool. I thought that 3D would be Apple's replacement, but it seems like their 3D implementation is very gimmicky.
I showed what Tom Tom is doing because I know some people see use in it and are complaining.

That doesn't mean I can't also say I personally don't use it. I spend most of my time in China (where Google doesn't do Street View) and I've used the Baidu maps app more than Google Maps there. When I'm in the US, I'm on a TMobile 2G connection that makes loading the image-based tiles on the standard old maps a pain, let alone something like Street View.

JonnyBrad

I never used street view practically speaking, but it was always fun to look around or show off to friends on an iPad for example.

I've always found it useful to see what a place looks like that you have never been to so you don't miss it.

I found it especially useful in Tenerife on holiday last year.

noah111

Still Alive
Got to try out flyover for the first time. The level of detail is amazing.

544OC.jpg

WXKBk.jpg

I also really like the UI, specifically landscape. It's one of the few (first?) stock app to get landscape right, along with the new Safari. The very thin menu bar/buttons and overlaying buttons helps.

omfg.
you can fullscreen landscape safari.

is that what you meant, sentry?

That being said, the sharing UI as well as the darker buttons might just be the most horrible thing ever to come out of Cupertino. Keep in mind that the Pippin happened.

noah111

Still Alive
omfg.
you can fullscreen landscape safari.

is that what you meant, sentry?

That being said, the sharing UI as well as the darker buttons might just be the most horrible thing ever to come out of Cupertino. Keep in mind that the Pippin happened.
Yeah, fullscreen is damn near perfect, and about time. The sharing UI is still better than what it was previously, but this is kind of ugly as well. I don't see why Apple sees the need to keep the same springboard icon size and yet space it the way they do (3x3). But I love the fact that we are getting settings style buttons, that makes me hopeful for settings toggles (wifi etc) will make a show eventually.

The new lock orientation button in the switcher bugs me though, the middle icon is off center.

The real news here is that Beta 2 works better with my car than the beta 1 did.

Also yeah, that rotation lock icon is reallllly bad, I can't believe they missed that.

Oh right, vertically yeah it is. Actually I didn't notice that though. Could that be deliberate because of the gradient of the background?

Black always appears as less space than white, so if anything, it should be the other way around. Why do you think fat people wear black shirts? :> (of course they just did it because they felt like it, but that's a very, very odd thing to do.)

Smart money says that these darker icons with the dotted backgrounds aren't finalized, as they are quite an eyesore on the share dialogue as well.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Black always appears as less space than white, so if anything, it should be the other way around. Why do you think fat people wear black shirts? :> (of course they just did it because they felt like it, but that's a very, very odd thing to do.)

Smart money says that these darker icons with the dotted backgrounds aren't finalized, as they are quite an eyesore on the share dialogue as well.

Yeah, I knew about the darker colours appearing smaller thing, I was just wondering if there was some other principle cause honestly I didn't even notice it. The horizontal squiffiness was much more immediate.

NZer

c1dPQl.jpg
UIKNgl.jpg

I use an app called imgurfree, but I think the dev took it off the store in favor of a paid app.

Cheers for that, nice to see some improvement. Any chance you could try 297 Queen St, Auckland and see if that works? It seems on the old beta it wouldn't do that street number - which given that's our main street didn't bode well.

noah111

Still Alive
it's off center vertically. horizontally it only appears so due to the optical illusion of the arrow.
Right, this is how it should look;

switcher%20lock%20fix.png

I highly, highly doubt that. Maybe the minuscule aspects of them, but overall they fall perfectly in line with the new settings app icon which is no accident. I think they are sort of out of place in Safari, though.

Speaking of the switcher, probably been discussed but the podcast playback controls have received an enhancement;

Va9BG.jpg

The actual music viewer (in the app) is still horrendous imo. Everything from the glowing interaction of the playback controls to the weird control button background's. It has a ways to go.

Tobor

Fuck off with the fanboy bullshit.

Some people legitimately don't use street view.

I don't see myself using flyover very much either, so the "brand" has nothing to do with it.

Oh yeah, so my offer still stands: just send me a couple of bucks to lk@wearetheinternetz.com via PayPal and I'll take care of all your devices needing iOS 6.

If you are feeling cheap I also do it for free but I might be less nice to you when I see you around these parts. Just PM me ;)

KtSlime

Fuck off with the fanboy bullshit.

Some people legitimately don't use street view.

I don't see myself using flyover very much either, so the "brand" has nothing to do with it.

Not that having more information would be bad, but when you are lost and trying to find your bearing, aren't you supposed to get up somewhere high?

Frankly I only used street view once, and not because I was lost, but as pure novelty, wanted to see if I could find the apartment I lived in when I was living in Tokyo. I imagine flyover also will serve as a similar fun yet useless features.

It's pretty unrealistic of people to expect feature parity out of a beta with a competing mature product, even if we do think highly of Apple.

Top Bottom