• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

edgefusion

Did the cogs on the system preference icon when updating software always spin like that? To clarify I mean the icon actually in the settings app not the one on the springboard.

mf.luder

Did the cogs on the system preference icon when updating software always spin like that? To clarify I mean the icon actually in the settings app not the one on the springboard.

This is when performing a system update? Or updating an app? Crazy awesome if true.

Edit: Just noticed that now! Nice touch.

Utako

Banned
NeoGAF looks nothing like Gmail. Arg, the Web is so inconsistent! Unusable mess.

I don't have time to update to 6b2, but I'm super excited. These early betas are always so vitriolic, it's fun.

giga

It might just be me, but midtown manhattan feels a lot more dense with information and street names now.
It seems beta 2 has improved things even more...

Three screenshots are

Beta 1 day of release
Beta 1 earlier today
Beta 2 just now
VAcUe.png

HQmT7.jpg

kjN0u.jpg
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1393819

Thicker roads and more road names at larger zoom levels.

KtSlime

What? This is something that Apple has been known for and people push as to why Apple is better than the rest. Seems silly to give them a pass now on it.

For the Mac yes, however iOS had 4 different theme styles for apps when Jobs presented it in 07, and they added banner themeing when they introduced 2.0. iOS has been inconsistent in themeing since day 1.

NeoGAF looks nothing like Gmail. Arg, the Web is so inconsistent! Unusable mess.

This. Fix the web, one theme to rule them all!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Same improvement seen here in Ireland just after quick browsing the Maps. Even satellite view has improved, although that's still very spotty.

Talon

I imagine the reason it's like that for all mapping services is that public APIs aren't particularly robust for most cities. There are a few apps in Chicago and NYC that pull local data, but none of the big apps (Google Maps, namely) pulls those accurately. Google Maps pulls up the scheduled times, but those aren't accurate for buses at all.

giga

Wouldn't the additional map data be serverside? Why would it be more dense on the newer beta?
The data is server side but I imagine some of the algorithms for how the Maps app displays said data can be managed in software. Not really sure.

LCfiner

Maps data density with useful street names is much improved. excellent.

they’ve also made larger streets noticeably wider than smaller streets to make it easier to differentiate them. they’re not colour coded yellow like on the older maps but it’s still clearly better than in beta 1

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Back in my day people resized or used the quote tag for iOS screenshots to ensure they didn't take up a whole page.

PS. Phone call forwarding is still borked. Maybe next update.

numble

June 23
40HrGl.jpg

June 25
pdjK0l.jpg

They still don't have a solution for clipping--Spring St. subway stop and NYU are not labelled because street names are there now.

Any bitching about Maps being incomplete is silly. It's not out until October, and as we can see, it's very much a work in progress.

This is why Apple loathes releasing stuff early. It finds its way into the hands of the public who assume it's the quality of the final product.

numble

Now it's getting like Google maps — so ugly and cluttered amirite?
Yes, I was going to say it is getting to a cluttery point. I don't think that view needs more street labels, except in West Village/Meatpacking where there is a clipping issue. Major and mini-major streets is enough, not every single street--you can zoom in for that. If they can have an intelligent system to label minor streets close to you, that would be nice. It's nice that the mini-major streets have smaller fonts, unlike the Google Maps image from Meus, where Downing is the same size/style as Broadway.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yes, I was going to say it is getting to a cluttery point. I don't think that view needs more street labels, except in West Village/Meatpacking where there is a clipping issue. Major and mini-major streets is enough, not every single street--you can zoom in for that. If they can have an intelligent system to labels minor streets close to you, that would be nice. It's nice that the mini-major streets have smaller fonts, unlike the Google Maps image from Meus, where Downing is the same size/style as Broadway.

They seem to have the capability to fade in/out labels at will from reading on the dev. portal. From what I can tell this is only used for the zooming at the moment but who knows. :)

Appleman

I don't know if it's been posted, but before they would omit some street names regardless of zoom in favour of local highway number labels even if the street doesn't even really go by that name. Fixed now. Excellent.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Those of you upset about the google transit info not being in the new maps, how often do you actually use it, and how reliable is it in your city? In Chicago, I just use a specific transit app, but I was in San Fran this past weekend and relied on google maps for my info. Bart times were very frequently incorrect. Not sure if it was a fluke or not, but maybe Apple's method may prove to be more reliable.

Those of you upset about the google transit info not being in the new maps, how often do you actually use it, and how reliable is it in your city? In Chicago, I just use a specific transit app, but I was in San Fran this past weekend and relied on google maps for my info. Bart times were very frequently incorrect. Not sure if it was a fluke or not, but maybe Apple's method may prove to be more reliable.

I used it fairly often here in NYC and I've found it to be pretty good.

rezuth

Worthless in Sweden

numble

I think they just added plot/building data, at least in Los Angeles. I could've sworn I didn't see this an hour ago, around the same location. But I wasn't at as close of a zoom level, so I may be wrong. This isn't available in New York City yet, it seems, at least not around that area that I keep looking at.

gEOHol.jpg

I was wondering if they were going to do this, since I noticed they had licensed plot data from some company.

Top Bottom