• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

buhdeh

The API is already there. All it does is push you out of the map app to a third party app and give the third party app the start and end points of the journey.

That's useless in many cases. It also doesn't give you things like live GPS tracking to see where you are during the journey without having to switch app back and forth constantly, which is a huge pain in the ass.

wtf? wow... smh. for some reason i imagined 3rd party apps being able to hook into apple's maps and display the routes there.

they should just give up this stupid fight with google cause they're literally making a WORSE user experience for everyone. i can't even think of a single use for flyover view. it doesn't come close to how useful street view was on my ipad.

http://dashes.com/anil/2012/09/who-benefits-from-ios6s-crappy-maps.html

"Here in Manhattan, where I live, basic search by building names is profoundly degraded in Apple's maps search. "Bloomberg" doesn't find the Bloomberg Tower; on Google Maps it's the first result. Searching for its address "731 Lexington Avenue" yields that address on Lexington Avenue in Brooklyn. It's fine to think that perhaps I wanted the address in Bed-Stuy, but even appending "NY, NY" or "Manhattan, NY" still yields the Brooklyn address. Google maps has none of these comprehension issues."

So yeah, the problems are bigger than just the crappy transit 'solution.'

"Here in Manhattan, where I live, basic search by building names is profoundly degraded in Apple's maps search. "Bloomberg" doesn't find the Bloomberg Tower; on Google Maps it's the first result. Searching for its address "731 Lexington Avenue" yields that address on Lexington Avenue in Brooklyn. It's fine to think that perhaps I wanted the address in Bed-Stuy, but even appending "NY, NY" or "Manhattan, NY" still yields the Brooklyn address. Google maps has none of these comprehension issues."

Dude it's Brooklyn! Brooklyn!

I've had that problem where I'm searching for an address in NY and for some reason it'll think I meant that address in Kentucky or Wisconsin or wherever, it's pretty infuriating but it seems to have been getting better for me.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Right, but even then, iOS doesn't really allow the setting of defaults, no? I imagine it will be a bit more clunky to use in general.

Not sure, I mean apple allows defaults for email. Hopefully maps too, but doubtful.

If google can release a maps app that's even close to what the latest android phones have, then it would be worth the extra time to copy paste an address or something.

I just hope google actually releases an app. I mean, they did for YouTube.

buhdeh

Is anyone on iPad actually upgrading to 6? There's no YouTube app yet AND we lose Google Maps while the rest of the features are either inconsequential or phone-specific.

Future

Is anyone on iPad actually upgrading to 6? There's no YouTube app yet AND we lose Google Maps while the rest of the features are either inconsequential or phone-specific.

I see no reason to if you are on an iPad. This year has been slow for iPad update news in general I think

KtSlime

I don't think it's as bad as some people are making it out to be, but having transit built into the Maps app would have been so much better than relying on third parties.
Except for all the cases where your local transit system is too small to get any attention, then you'd have to rely on a 3rd party app anyway. Possibly with less integration than what we are getting now in 6..,

zigg

Uh-oh, the download is slowing down. I thought I was gonna have it by 1 p.m., but my time remaining is increasing...

Blackhead

Redarse
Except for all the cases where your local transit system is too small to get any attention, then you'd have to rely on a 3rd party app anyway. Possibly with less integration than what we are getting now in 6..,
too small to get any attention i.e. supports very small number of users. So the edge case you championing explicitly suggests it doesn't affect the majority of users... why are you doing this?

numble

Meh. I had it on my 4S and literally used it once when I got the phone. Garbage feature and far less useful on a tablet than on a phone.
How can you judge it's usefulness with 1 use?
Unified iMessage/FaceTime is a pretty good feature. An iMessage or Facetime call to your phone number will show up on iPad.

Blackhead

Redarse
Unified iMessage/FaceTime is a pretty good feature. An iMessage or Facetime call to your phone number will show up on iPad.

Does that work even if you don't have an iPhone?

Sidenote: has the integrated number gone live yet?

numble

too small to get any attention i.e. supports very small number of users. So the edge case you championing explicitly suggests it doesn't affect the majority of users... why are you doing this?
Maybe it personally affects him?

Here's a non-edge case: I've always had to have a Baidu Maps app on my iOS devices, but the AutoNavi-based Maps in iOS 6 for China is superior in many ways to the previous Google Maps for China.
Does that work even if you don't have an iPhone?

Sidenote: has the integrated number gone live yet?
Only if that phone number has been used on an iPhone.
It's worked since iOS 6 beta 2 or 3.

buhdeh

I've looked at the use cases and don't think it's faster than doing anything manually. Well, I do (or did, rather) use the "call my girlfriend" feature a lot but that could be done without Siri too... and obviously wouldn't be too useful on my iPad.

zigg

Download complete; "Preparing Update". Guess I got it by 1 p.m. after all. Elapsed time over Wi-Fi: ~15 minutes.

Just curious, first time OS upgrader, do I need to do anything to make sure I dont lose all my game saves, pics, messages, EVERYTHING from my phone? Or does the upgrade just "work" is there anything I need to do on my end?

Croc

Banned
For some reason when I tried to download and update, nothing happened (tried it twice). It only started downloading when I selected download only.

Weird.

Top Bottom