• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Jea Song

Did the right thing
There is a transit option on apple maps. I guess you just need to download the app from the App Store? We are on the GM, and perhaps it won't be released until later today, along with the passbook apps.

Brera

Banned
Just had a look at the feature list and it's bullshit that the 4 doesn't get turn by turn. Dont really give a shit about siri but there is no reason for its exclusion apart from engineering advantages.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Anyone notice on iOS 6 how sometimes it will ask for you password to download an app while, other times in wont? This is different because I updated NOVA 3 today without it asking for a pass. But then seconds later I go and Download a new app and it asked for a pass.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It doesn't ask when you're updating, just buying new apps no?
Apple maps have no street view, no public transport directions built in and some directions/locations are incorrect.
Yup, I hate it.
Can't just search "Pizza" anymore and get all the local places around me. I have to search for the exact names of places.

That is really going to suck when I'm not in my town.
Hoping the Google app works well.

saelz8

Anyone notice on iOS 6 how sometimes it will ask for you password to download an app while, other times in wont? This is different because I updated NOVA 3 today without it asking for a pass. But then seconds later I go and Download a new app and it asked for a pass.

It doesn't ask for Free Apps or Updates.

It doesn't ask when you're updating, just buying new apps no?
Yup, I hate it.
Can't just search "Pizza" anymore and get all the local places around me. I have to search for the exact names of places.

That is really going to suck when I'm not in my town.
Hoping the Google app works well.

Huh?

I just searched for pizza around me and I got a bunch of results.

Quick

Banned
So here's my data and battery usage for turn-by-turn:

From starting point to destination:
Sent: 90.0 KB
Received: 445 KB
Battery: 99%

From destination to starting point:
Sent: 41.0 KB
Received: 94.0 KB
Battery: 95%

The drive was estimated at 7 minute on the same route to and from, with two intersection turns.

I started off at full charge, and left WiFi on.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I'm just glad we finally have spoken turn by turn for free. I'm sure apple will update Maps and add in functionality as they go.

Brera

Banned
Google are taking their time with maps.

Already got Youtube and Chrome, just need the maps app to purge my iphone 4 of Apple!

Wasn't the case before. Thank goodness that changed at least.
I was only getting result that had "pizza" in the restuarant name.

Just double checked and while most of the results had pizza in their names a few like Eataly and Vezzo showed up. I'm in NYC, if that makes a difference.

Edit:

Just tried "Thai Food" and that definitely comes up with a bunch of restaurants that don't have "Thai" or "Thai Food" in their names.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just double checked and while most of the results had pizza in their names a few like Eataly and Vezzo showed up. I'm in NYC, if that makes a difference.

Edit:

Just tried "Thai Food" and that definitely comes up with a bunch of restaurants that don't have "Thai" or "Thai Food" in their names.
Thanks for the confirmation, and that's great news as I do the "thai food" type search a lot.

I couldn't double check just now as I haven't updated my phone like my iPad at home.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
If google releases a maps app with navigation similar to the latest android phones, then it's so long apple maps. I'll just put it in a folder.

I'm running on the latest beta right now (not the GM), any idea if I'll need to fully restore to get the final release on, or if I can just do an OTA update?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm running on the latest beta right now, any idea if I'll need to fully restore to get the final release on, or if I can just do an OTA update?

You'll need to update via iTunes. But restoring isn't required, although I'd recommend it since you're coming from a beta version.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
You'll need to update via iTunes. But restoring isn't required, although I'd recommend it since you're coming from a beta version.

Why would he need to use iTunes and not do it over the air? If you just restored your phone, couldn't you do it over the air anyway?

Mindwipe

edit: As Cjelly said, Apple announced at WWDC that they were providing APIs for local transit info. Let' see if they change their mind.

The API is already there. All it does is push you out of the map app to a third party app and give the third party app the start and end points of the journey.

That's useless in many cases. It also doesn't give you things like live GPS tracking to see where you are during the journey without having to switch app back and forth constantly, which is a huge pain in the ass.

As other people have pointed out, the lack of URL reffers means that in many cases Google Maps as a third party app won't be able to replicate the previous functionality either.

And yes, a class action over this stuff is absolutely inevitable. Staying on iOS 5 won't be considered a realistic option by the court as Apple depreciates the iOS5 APIs and doesn't provide critical security updates.

The API is already there. All it does is push you out of the map app to a third party app and give the third party app the start and end points of the journey.

That's useless in many cases. It also doesn't give you things like live GPS tracking to see where you are during the journey without having to switch app back and forth constantly, which is a huge pain in the ass.

This. Like I said before, I completely understand if Apple doesn't want to go to the trouble of keeping up-to-date on the transit schedules for small cities, but in places where they've got probably almost a million customers, like New York City, it would seriously behoove them to get directly in touch with the local transit authorities and bake transit into their phones.

People in major cities like New York, San Francisco, LA, Boston, Chicago, London, Paris, and Tokyo are going to be justifiably upset about this.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Why would he need to use iTunes and not do it over the air? If you just restored your phone, couldn't you do it over the air anyway?

Can't update from a beta build to public releases OTA, Apple has the betas on a different OTA "path" for the lack of a better word. Was the same with iOS 5 last year.

Besides, he would've had the GM release OTA if it had been the case already.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
When you click on a maps link on Facebook, it pops open a window that says open in maps.

When you open it, it takes you the the mobile web version of google maps. It offers you the option to save the page to your homescreen.

Temporary solution?

As other people have pointed out, the lack of URL reffers means that in many cases Google Maps as a third party app won't be able to replicate the previous functionality either.

And yes, a class action over this stuff is absolutely inevitable. Staying on iOS 5 won't be considered a realistic option by the court as Apple depreciates the iOS5 APIs and doesn't provide critical security updates.

Apple don't care

Top Bottom