• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Enco

As well as not being able to download or delete single songs, having no net connection hides all cloud music. Before it showed it all but just didn't play it. I think. Kinda made iTunes Match shitty.

lucius

After updating the iPhone 4 all my album artwork shows up fine like before, but after updating the iPad 2 about 10% of the artwork is not showing up right, when in the music player under Album or Artist sections artwork does not show up on some, but when I click on the specific album or artist the songs and album artwork displays right and is there, what a crap bug wonder why it got messed up.

Safari is a lot faster even in iPhone 4, things seem to load almost twice as fast which is pretty suprising since I never saw that much improvement before in Safari even in the past major updates.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
As well as not being able to download or delete single songs, having no net connection hides all cloud music. Before it showed it all but just didn't play it. I think. Kinda made iTunes Match shitty.

You can delete music in General > Usage > Music. It's an all or nothing dealio though.

Regarding not being able to see your music with no connection, do you have "Show All Music" enabled in the Music settings? I have and can still see my entire library, not just what I got locally on the device without a connection/in airplane mode.

Please tell me that I'm not the only one that can't un-see Homer Simpson on the new artists icon?

It's still Bono screaming, but I can see what you mean. :)

Enco

You can delete music in General > Usage > Music. It's an all or nothing dealio though.

Regarding not being able to see your music with no connection, do you have "Show All Music" enabled in the Music settings? I have and can still see my entire library, not just what I got locally on the device without a connection/in airplane mode.

It's still Bono screaming, but I can see what you mean. :)
Pretty stupid how they took out something so simple and so useful. It was part of the reason I got match.

Yea I have it checked and airplane mode hides all cloud songs.

Zutroy

I know we've all already moaned at how shit the maps are, but here's a comparison between the two around my work area which is the city centre of a capital city.
sMUzz.jpg
93x1C.jpg

Number45

Has anyone been brave enough to link their Facebook account yet? Specifically to contacts with Gmail? A little worried how it's going to behave.

Dynoro

It's pretty snazzy.

I like seeing the different time zones.

The time zones bit really got me; I love that kind of thing

I know we've all already moaned at how shit the maps are, but here's a comparison between the two around my work area which is the city centre of a capital city.

Think that's bad? Where I work there's a massive cloud over the entire city in the satellite view so I can't see a damn thing

Mik2121

Has anyone been brave enough to link their Facebook account yet? Specifically to contacts with Gmail? A little worried how it's going to behave.

I did. It basically syncs with your Facebook account and checks all the friends you got in both your iPhone and FB, then adds the info from FB (birthday, pic, etc..) into your contacts app on the iPhone (unless you already have such information).

Also as far as I know, it doesn't delete any info you might have of your contacts on your iPhone. Also doesn't publish anything on your timeline. It's good to get that extra bit of information on your contacts, if you ask me (in my case it added a ton of birthdays on my calendar which is nice, and you can toggle on/off).

Enco

Nah fuck that.

Remember when facebook deleted everyon's contact emails and replaced them with their own @facebook address? Yea, not gonna let that happen again. Screw facebook.

Plus I don't want them to steal everything I have. The Messenger app is all I need from them.

Number45

I did. It basically syncs with your Facebook account and checks all the friends you got in both your iPhone and FB, then adds the info from FB (birthday, pic, etc..) into your contacts app on the iPhone (unless you already have such information).
Thanks. I'm pretty strict with my FB friends so it shouldn't be too bad.

For the love of god don't do it!
Yeah, to be honest this was my natural thought. I actually did it a while ago on an Android phone and it fucked things up royally. I guess I'll take a backup before, both from the phone and from Gmail if I decide to take the plunge.

CoryCubed

Connecting with Facebook contacts worked about as expected, did not anticipate my contacts ballooning so much. Had a lot of acquaintances that are cluttering my contacts I do not need.

Also it added some companies info I facebook added so watch out for that too.

Nibel

I don't know why, but I just clicked on update and it deleted everything from my phone :lol

Thank god I've got a backup

lucius

The database for search in their Map app must really suck, I type in any store with tons near me like Starbucks/GameStop/Wallgreens and not even half come up that are close by. Waze at least let's you easily switch results quickly from bing, google,yellow pages which give you pretty much every result. I actually noticed bing results often are better than even googles.

Enco

Hold up, can all people in a Photo Stream add photos? I read on macrumours that it's not possible?

Would be completely useless if true.

sMUzz.jpg
93x1C.jpg

Well nice and clean, I hate having building outlines on Google when you're zoomed out that far.

Apple made a good choice using vectors, I think there'll be a battle between Google and Apple over their respective maps going forward, Apple didn't shit the bed with design choices as much as people will lead you to believe.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hold up, can all people in a Photo Stream add photos? I read on macrumours that it's not possible?

Would be completely useless if true.

Only the creator of a shared photo stream can add photos to it, subscribers can just comment/download the photos.

Enco

Only the creator of a shared photo stream can add photos to it, subscribers can just comment/download the photos.
That's really stupid and makes no sense.

Updated bad list:

- Constant app store crashing
- Genius menu doesn't work in the app store
- The app store search interface is awful
- No map transit info
- The map has lots of missing restaurants and businesses
- Can't install single songs from iTunes Match
- Can't delete single songs when you have iTunes Match
- Shared photo streams are one way. Only the owner can add photos

It's a shame because all of the issues are completely ridiculous and how you could do that is beyond me. None of them make any sense at all. The only one that might have a reason behind it is the map transit thing.

Wubby

Goddamn this map app blows in Tokyo -_-

I was afraid of this!!! I use it a lot for traveling around the country. I knew it would suck. I hope Google can get their own map app out soon. I'm not upgrading my 4S to iOS6 so I may just pop the sim back in the 4S and use that instead of the 5 for traveling.

Enco

Decided to look up a random place in the maps an wow it's even worse than I thought.

A supermarket that moved years ago is in the wrong place. Nice work Apple.

Quick question: Anyone know if you can shut off Safari Reading List caching for offline reading?

It's probably my favorite iOS6 feature for my wi-fi iPad, but pretty unnecessary on my iPhone. Space is getting scares on my iPhone, so every little bit matters.

If you don't know the exact address of the place you're going to, the new maps app is dead in the water. Even if you know it, it sometimes is.
A shame, really.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Decided to look up a random place in the maps an wow it's even worse than I thought.

A supermarket that moved years ago is in the wrong place. Nice work Apple.

Business locations are sourced from many different third party services, depending on where in the world you are (the laundry list can be seen in the acknowledgemens) Yelp is one of them.

Enco

Business locations are sourced from many different third party services, depending on where in the world you are (the laundry list can be seen in the acknowledgemens) Yelp is one of them.
Well the sources are awful. Google had it right. What we have now is a downgrade apart from the navigation which is nice.

If you don't know the exact address of the place you're going to, the new maps app is dead in the water. Even if you know it, it sometimes is.
A shame, really.
Agreed.

Using it when you're lost or in a new place to find businesses by name is out of the question. Such a shame.

Save us Googy!

SmokyDave

- Constant app store crashing
- Genius menu doesn't work in the app store

These two are driving me nuts. In addition, they seem to have redesigned the app store to work on a desktop or something. It sure as fuck don't fit on an iPhone screen.

It's a shame because I dig the new icons and colours for the store, it's just the rest that's shite.

I'm not sure what's making me sadder: Apple clearly and certainly having lost their way when it comes to UX or the fact that they're still the best in this regard.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
These two are driving me nuts. In addition, they seem to have redesigned the app store to work on a desktop or something. It sure as fuck don't fit on an iPhone screen.

It's a shame because I dig the new icons and colours for the store, it's just the rest that's shite.

Correction: It fits the iPhone 5 screen. ;)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I am not sure if showing 1.5 search results over 1 is that much of an improvement, for example. No matter how fancy the new view looks.

The Search tab is shit, a longer screen doesn't fix that since it's all horizontal. I'm talking about the general layout/rows of the store which on phones is built with a 1136 pixel long screen in mind.

... those two maps are showing different side streets and dead-ends. Which map is correct?

Google maps uses bmp image tiles, whereas ios maps uses vectors. The maps will be the same, but they can be displayed differently.

In Google you are zooming in and out of an image, like moving a piece of paper closer/further away from your face. Whereas vectors are based on mathematical expression, so when you zoom in the computer makes a calculation (this line was in position x and of thickness y when zoom was z%, increased zoom by a% means position b thickness c).

Vectors also mean you can hide certain parts of the map if you wish to reduce clutter, as you see a narrow street dead end is hidden because the name "Pleasance Theatre Box Office" is written over it's position. As you zoom in the dead end would come into view as the Box Office moves out of view.

Same with building outlines, if you were to zoom in closer on ios the buildings would come into view.

The perfect map right now would be iOS vector and google data, but that's not going to happen so both companies are going to race to implement each others tech over the next few years.

Top Bottom