• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

How do you lock the screen in an app so hitting home button doesn't stop it?

Not sure if this has been answered, but go to settings>general>accessibility>guided access on. Then create a passcode, and tripple click the home button in any app to turn it on. You'll even be able to circle elements of the screen you want to disable from touch. It's a really slick implementation.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is there still a way to update to 5.1.1? I'm on 5.0, don't want 6.0 yet.

mooooose

Tried updating and it sent me to recovery mode and I couldn't get out so I said fuck it and restored. All I lost were some texts to my ex I was holding onto for no good reason and some pictures that aren't on iCloud. Oh well.

Not used to everything having labels in the Home menu, I had that turned off on iOS5 with jailbreak.

http://www.imore.com/ios-6-review

For those of you with the time and interest, easily the most indepth and best review/writeup of iOS6 that I've read (12,000+ words). Outlines every single change and feature, and is pretty photo heavy also. It pointed me to changes and features I didn't know existed. The conclusion is also insightful:

Bottom line

iPhone OS 1.0 was all about delighting users with a an enthralling multitouch interface and a fresh new take on the smartphone. iPhone OS 2.0 to iOS 4 were about filling in and rounding out features and functionality, and making the iPhone, and later the iPad, an ecosystem. iOS 5 was about taking the iPhone and iPad to the iCloud.

iOS 6 is all about preparing for what comes next, and unfortunately for users this time around, a lot of that has to do with Apple. There's never a good time to go back and rebuild things users don't think need rebuilding, like Maps, or set up things that won't be fully realized for another generation or two, like Passbook. Yet Apple is choosing to do all of those things, and more. And they're choosing to do them now, in iOS 6.

Android remains a relentless competitor, but Google is being forced to go back and work on user experience, cohesiveness, and consistency, something Apple nailed in iPhone OS 1. webOS has been murdered by HP. Windows Phone is as much held back as it is supported by a Microsoft obsessed with Windows everywhere, and is yet to find a clear story or market. BlackBerry won't even have a shot at a relaunch into early 2013. And the Facebooks and Amazons are still more vapor than ware.

Apple seems to believe they have an opportunity, right now, to fix some of the problems they themselves have been facing. They seem to believe the tock in their product update cycle that includes the Retina iPad, iPhone 5, and perhaps iPad mini give them the chance to repatriate and reforge the vital elements of their platform.

In a perfect world, Apple could do everything all at once. But we don't live in a perfect world. We live in a world of opportunity costs, where even one of the richest, most successful companies on earth has to face certain realities. Namely, engineering talent is as limited as time itself. The money and effort expended on redoing Maps and expanding Siri couldn't be spent on actionable notifications, inter-app communications, new fast app switching metaphors, or any of the other higher hanging fruit iOS arguably still needs.

Compared to previous versions of iOS, and compared to competing platforms, iOS 6 doesn't have the same level of customer facing pizazz this year. Sure, there's Do Not Disturb and the new Privacy features, FaceTime over 3G, Siri for iPad and iPod touch, VIP mail, Panorama photos, Safari image uploads, single-app-mode, and many small, satisfying gems, but making a new Maps app was a huge amount of work for Apple that couldn't be spent elsewhere. And positioning Siri and Passbook for the future compromised Apple's ability to deliver on the present.

So yes, iOS 6 is a software update divided against itself. But taken as a whole, as the sum of all its new and better features, it's still strong enough to stand. Now that they've positioned the platform for the future, however, the bigger challenge Apple faces is nailing what comes next.

How exactly are all my iMessages synced though out my devices? I should be able to open it on my iPad and see everything from my iPhone from now right? Is there something I have to enable somewhere?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
How exactly are all my iMessages synced though out my devices? I should be able to open it on my iPad and see everything from my iPhone from now right? Is there something I have to enable somewhere?

Go to the Messages area in Settings
You may need to turn off iMessage and turn back on, but you should get the option of receving messages from your phone number as well as your email.

GG-Duo

Nice new podcast fast-forward and rewind on the lock screen and double-click drawer... No more rewinding an hourlong podcast to the beginning! woot!

I hope it works for audiobooks too.

0Fpvs.png

Go to the Messages area in Settings
You may need to turn off iMessage and turn back on, but you should get the option of receving messages from your phone number as well as your email.

That did it. Thanks.

Now any iMessages that come in from now on will go to all my devices?

Tobe

holy shit, new maps for my country is ASS, it doesnt even show where i live, it just shows nothing literally nothing.

LCfiner

I thought I could get 3D maps on the new iPad.

How do I enable it? The 3D button just changes the angle

1. Turn on satellite images and the 3D button becomes the flyover button.
2. Make sure the map is in an area where the flyover data exists. Eg manhattan, montreal, Paris, etc...

That's it.

Vard

Is there still a way to update to 5.1.1? I'm on 5.0, don't want 6.0 yet.
I was on 5.0 and had to update to 5.1.1 before I could even update to iOS 6. For me, when I was still on 5.0, under Settings > General > Software Update it said 5.1.1 was the update I could make. Does it say 6 or 5.1.1 for you now?

I'm sure this has been said, but it can't be mentioned enough.

I don't even have the words to express how pissed off and frustrated over them removing podcasts from the music app and forcing you to use the podcast app for them. Again, I'm sure it has all been said so I wont go into detail, but wow. What a stupid, stupid move. They better make that right in an update and soon.

Podcasts are still in the music app?!

Maybe the button has been moved on yours? press "more" on the bottom row of the music app there's a list of buttons that don't fit on that row, "podcasts" should be there. Then if you click "edit" top left, you can drag "podcasts" to the bottom bar.

Vard

Probably been asked a lot but it's a huge thread - so the new Maps doesn't list traffic on roads/freeways with a red/yellow/green line anymore? All freeways are solid yellow... How am I supposed to tell if there's traffic or not anymore? :

Nice.. tried to update over air, over night and woke up to find the phone in recovery mode.
Cant do a damn thing with it so had to plug it into itunes and do it via that and its going to take another 15mins... I dont have 15mins i need to leave for work you bastard phone!!!!

They've moved to the dedicated podcast app on mine (also a British iPhone).

First time I opened the music player I got a popup telling me that podcasts and iTunes U had moved.

Oh, maybe delayed?!

Does the podcast app have both video and audio podcasts? video podcasts separating into video app always confused me?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

up pic

Seems fine on mine. (British iPhone?)

They've moved to the dedicated podcast app on mine (also a British iPhone).

First time I opened the music player I got a popup telling me that podcasts and iTunes U had moved.

My music player has 'songs' where yours has podcasts.

Podcasts only gets hidden from the Music app IF you install the stand alone Podcast app. Then you get the "Podcasts are now in the Podcast app" popup.

Even if you've installed the Podcast app you can load up podcasts in the Music app via Spotlight search.

mooooose

Some GUI stuff is great and some of it feels rushed and unpolished. But the majority is great. All the Facebook integration is well appreciated though a little un-Apple, but still, super appreciated. I don't miss jailbreaking besides the labels on icons and limited folder size. Haven't had the opportunity to use maps, but I'm sure it is a piece of shit. Hope that Google puts out a great Maps app. Could it have turn by turn too?

Everyone keeps talking about an updated music player.

Was it updated on the iPad too? I don't notice any change.

Do not look like it was.

Is there a tutorial for passbook? Seems like a really cool app. I found a website to create my gamestop best buy cards. There has to be a more user friendly option. When I first launched the app I thought I would be able to import my starbucks app(with my gift card credit).

I love it when all my album art just disappears.

Music metadata seems to have been worse since iOS5. No matter what I do, I can't get some albums to show up under a single listing despite it used to working. No changing of the metadata will fix it. It kinda ruins the Music app for me.

Currently updating my iPad. Both downloads and installations of iOS 6 seem to be going smoothly right now.

For me, Maps seemed to be perfectly fine in my hometown, though I'll try it out in San Francisco tomorrow when I head to work. Satellite view in my town is using an outdated map, but is still recognizable.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
As a recent iTunes Match subscriber, anyone care to explain how it has changed with iOS 6?

Enco

As a recent iTunes Match subscriber, anyone care to explain how it has changed with iOS 6?
You can now stream music instead of having to download it.

I just found you can't download single tracks though. Has to be the full album. What bullshit.

Edit: you can't even delete songs? The fuck Apple. Why remove that? WHY?!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'd rather Apple not waste it's resources on this type of app, of which there are dozens of extremely high quality options in the appstore.

Also, love the calendar facebook integration.
Apple can really do no wrong in your eyes can they?
They put a current temp icon in the clock app, I find it really hard to believe a basic 7 day forecast view like the phone version would have cost them precious resources.

How does Notes syncing work?

I turned it ON on iPad, and it required an @icloud.com email address. I have then turned it on on my iPhone (both running iOS6 of course) and it hasn't asked for an address, but it is turned on. On iPad I can switch between accounts to create a note (Gmail and iCloud, weirdly), but on iPhone its just how they were before, no accounts involved.

I was hoping Notes would just sync between my devices now, but they're not. Anyone know what the deal is?

Top Bottom