• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Enco

These two are driving me nuts. In addition, they seem to have redesigned the app store to work on a desktop or something. It sure as fuck don't fit on an iPhone screen.

It's a shame because I dig the new icons and colours for the store, it's just the rest that's shite.
Oh yea and that.

Completely idiotic. How people sat around and agreed that it was good is beyond me.

It just blows my mind how things like this got through.

At least it's not all awful.

Blackhead

Redarse
Google maps uses bmp image tiles, whereas ios maps uses vectors. The maps will be the same, but they can be displayed differently.

In Google you are zooming in and out of an image, like moving a piece of paper closer/further away from your face. Whereas vectors are based on mathematical expression, so when you zoom in the computer makes a calculation (this line was in position x and of thickness y when zoom was z%, increased zoom by a% means position b thickness c).

Vectors also mean you can hide certain parts of the map if you wish to reduce clutter, as you see a narrow street dead end is hidden because the name "Pleasance Theatre Box Office" is written over it's position. As you zoom in the dead end would come into view as the Box Office moves out of view.

Same with building outlines, if you were to zoom in closer on ios the buildings would come into view.

The perfect map right now would be iOS vector and google data, but that's not going to happen so both companies are going to race to implement each others tech over the next few years.

Whoa so you're saying that iOS6 maps app shows incorrect side streets and dead-ends until I'm at the 'correct' zoom level unlike the iOS5 maps app from before? And I can't turn off the business data? WTF

FWIW:Google Maps on Android are already vector based. Google Maps on Android can hide search data layers as the user desires. So I guess Google Maps on Android is the perfect map right now.

Bgamer90

Banned
Playing around with the maps app... Clicked the bus (transit) icon and then the " route" button. It directed me to the App Store for transit apps.

There's one called "TransitTimes+"... it's $2.99 and the recent reviewers said that it integrated with the maps app. The few reviews have said that it's very detailed.

Anyone tried it? I wouldn't really try it nor use the feature really. Just wondering.

Edit: Also I think I might be in the minority in this thread when it comes to the new App Store and iTunes design. I like it.

Whoa so you're saying that iOS6 maps app shows incorrect side streets and dead-ends until I'm at the 'correct' zoom level unlike the iOS5 maps app from before? And I can't turn off the business data? WTF

FWIW:Google Maps on Android are already vector based. Google Maps on Android can hide search data layers as the user desires. So I guess Google Maps on Android is the perfect map right now.
That wasn't already obvious?

A shitload of the music I bought from the iTunes store is not on my device, but when I got to play the songs the music app acts like it's there but then skips over it really fast to the next song because it's not really there. Re-downloading doesn't work because the itunes app also thinks it's there. Ugh.

Karud

so, apparently the Apple Map app is pure shit in Scandinavia.
will they update it with better maps soon?

I second this for Germany. It's not super bad but I have already seen an incredible amount of wrong set pins and closed businesses. Biggest mistake so far: Airport Tempelhof is still displayed as airport and not park. It's been closed for several years now.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Wasn't iOS 6 supposed to stop us needing to enter passwords for app updates? Still asking me. :-(

Try reviewing your account/billing details. You probably haven't accepted the new Terms of Use (which normally pops up the first time you input your password).

cbox

I like it as well. The pervious design was horrible. Even though some may not like it, I do not think the new design did not make things anything worse.

All they had to do was freshen up the graphics. They went with a Netflix on the desktop experience and it's terrible for usability.

Why is the Passbook app so much brighter than everything else?

I'm just surprised that there are so few options for Passbook. I know it just launched, but Starbucks was in all of the marketing shots and they're not listed yet. Very odd.

Oh well, I'll just keep the Starbucks app for the time being.

Shearie

Edit: Also I think I might be in the minority in this thread when it comes to the new App Store and iTunes design. I like it.

I like it as well. The pervious design was horrible. Even though some may not like it, I do not think the new design did not make things anything worse.

Add me to the list that likes the new App Store better. Too many bugs right now though; cant go to Purchased or Genius section on iPhone 4S without it crashing and the "More Reviews..." Button seems to completely not work on either the iPhone or iPad.

Apparently it's not obvious to people who have only used iPhones and are still wanking over vector maps.

Google didn't invent vector maps mate, stop being a dick.

I was explaining why the two images were different, and what vector maps allow engineers to do over and above tiled bmp.

That's what I said didn't I? I did not know about mapsGL but yeah vector maps are the future now that we have desktops/mobiles that are capable of displaying them.

I assume you think vector maps are shit, because you've been slagging off iOS6s implementation of them?

I can't believe nobody else is having Notes issues, my iPhone refuses to see iCloud notes made on either iPad or the iCloud site. There is something fucked up somewhere.

Can anyone with both iPad and iPhone, both on iOS6 check something for us?

- Firstly are your notes syncing between both devices?
- I didn't have mobileme or anything like that, I turned Notes syncing on last night with iOS6
- On iPad it asked me to create an @icloud.com email address. It then created a new email account in Mail
- On iPhone, I turned Notes syncing on and it didn't ask me. There is no mail account for my new account. I tried to create one, but the iPhone said it was already there (which it isn't)
- If I make a note on iPad, it shows up on the iCloud website, and viceversa. Nothing on iPhone at all.

Any ideas?

Ragus

Banned
Wtf, is App Store back to normal? Am I seeing things?

CA457712-9376-4DD0-8B0B-1AEA1C662BA4-313-000000186F073F9A_zps09874e78.jpg
self bump. It certainly didn't look like that when I went to sleep.

Nicktendo86

Well updated my 4G iPod this morning, not a lot more I can add.

The new app store is a mess, scrolling sideways is jerky and borderline unusable.

Hate inconsistancy, I like the new music design but the play/skip buttons are still the old design if you double clock the home button.

Maps is pretty much broken. I just had a look at my work, the building layouts are completely wrong, it looks like the old layout before the current New St Square development was build 5 years ago! Has names of companies I've not heard of. This is from the City of London, not some sort of backwater county.

NekoFever

I need to vent because these new maps are terrible. I can't think of a single way in which they're an upgrade on my iPhone 4.

Business listings are non-existent around here, so unless you're searching for an exact street address it's useless. Apparently the nearest McDonald's is 15 miles away and not just around the corner. The nearest Cafe Nero is 130 miles away and not one of the two within sight of my window. None of the major landmarks in this town are listed, including the convention centre and any of the museums. No results at all for my work. Searching for a major national museum in a nearby town takes me to a small museum for a town of the same name in France.

Street View's obviously gone. I played around with Flyover on my iPad and it's nifty, but I don't live in London and it's far less use than Street View once you're past the initial wow factor.

Part of me hopes there's a major backlash coming, because these were in no way ready for primetime.

What were you thinking, Apple?

mrkgoo

Apple branching into maps was always going to be huge fail.

There's something Google Maps will always have that no other maps will ever have....Google.

MasLegio

Banned
from wanting an iPhone 5 I am now starting to lean towards Android, just because of the Map app.
Never thought that would happen

MasLegio

Banned
problem is that Apple does not understand its users.
If they did they would not have bought map data from a CAR navigation map provider.

Does icloud backup text messages? turns out I had set it to backup whenever it had wifi/power so hopefully Ive not lost much.

Used Maps earlier and it was pretty annoying you couldnt have the map pointing in the direction your walking,unless I missed how to change that and thats quite likley knowing me.

Shearie

This podcast app runs like a piece of shit :(

Doesn't for me and the update seems to have fixed my biggest complaint of it marking random non-new episodes as unplayed; although its gonna take more time to see if it's truly fixed and not just a fluke. Love that it has 15 second forward and back buttons in the lock screen and multitasking bar now.

Number45

Try reviewing your account/billing details. You probably haven't accepted the new Terms of Use (which normally pops up the first time you input your password).
Sure I did it last night (definitely did it on my phone, not so sure about the iPad), but I'll try it anyway. Thanks. :)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
This podcast app runs like a piece of shit :(
It runs like shit on the 4, it's much better on a 4S but still not superb.
Sure I did it last night (definitely did it on my phone, not so sure about the iPad), but I'll try it anyway. Thanks. :)
I at least managed to fix that issue on my iPad by doing that. My iPhone was compliant from the get go fortunately and hasn't wanted my password in a long time.
What is this witchcraft and how can I get some of it?

Updates in the middle? Pitchforks at the ready!

CrankyJay

Banned
I can't believe nobody else is having Notes issues, my iPhone refuses to see iCloud notes made on either iPad or the iCloud site. There is something fucked up somewhere.

Can anyone with both iPad and iPhone, both on iOS6 check something for us?

- Firstly are your notes syncing between both devices?
- I didn't have mobileme or anything like that, I turned Notes syncing on last night with iOS6
- On iPad it asked me to create an @icloud.com email address. It then created a new email account in Mail
- On iPhone, I turned Notes syncing on and it didn't ask me. There is no mail account for my new account. I tried to create one, but the iPhone said it was already there (which it isn't)
- If I make a note on iPad, it shows up on the iCloud website, and viceversa. Nothing on iPhone at all.

Any ideas?

I just tested with my new iPad and iPhone 4 and I had no problems on iOS 6. Sorry.

Link1110

I upgraded. The new App Store is slow as shit on my 4. Can I have the list back rather than a full screen for one app? Also I want history back in the YouTube app.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I upgraded. The new App Store is slow as shit on my 4. Can I have the list back rather than a full screen for one app? Also I want history back in the YouTube app.
Click the list icon in the top left corner, then click on your username.

Top Bottom