• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

I thought it was all about the apps?

Google gimps YouTube apps, it's pretty much impossible for developers to make a decent one.

Since Apple hates Google they really have no incentive to make the iOS app a more pleasurable experience so we're stuck with the web app.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Apple maps vs google maps (UK)

AvJKk-rCQAAWFaZ.png

They look useless.

That is weird. I already don't like how google maps hides street names if you're not zoomed in far enough, this just seems ridiculous. The lack of contrast also makes it kind of hard to read as well.

TehOh

Yep, but I think the transit options are more limited now without Google's transit data.

The new app also apparently can't find me directions between here and the Empire State Building, so I don't know what's up with that

Ugh. Hope Google's own app will be out soon. I don't like anything I've seen of Apple's new Maps app so far.

noah111

Still Alive
Just watched the conference/skimmed the thread(s).

Not as big of a jump as it was to iOS 5, but it's a pretty great upgrade all around. Even taking the new Maps out of the equation, the FB integration and NC quick-share buttons are going to be used by millions. I'm not digging the lazy iPad Siri integration though, tbh. They could've come up with something more sexy than an iPhone-sized semi-transparent Siri pane popping up in a drop-down style bubble. Yuck. Still welcomed of course.

I think i'll get used to the blue status bars, but it seems off-putting currently. Something about the contrast, it feels 'faded' to a weird degree. Almost like it's just a transparent blue menubar gradient overlaid on top of the black version. But we'll get used to it i'm sure.. Also, what's up with that white phone keypad? Optional? Probably already answered, but that'll be a bitch to use at night/in the dark. Ughhh.

Lastly, not digging the overall splintering UI elements. Might just be a stepping stone type thing, but it seems like there's just too much. Gradient charcoal nav-bars, glossy black nav-bars, silver gradient menu bars, light blue gradient menu bars, light blue gradient menu bars, etc. I don't know...

Oh and prob. already answered as well, but I assume turn by turn and flyover aren't compatible with one another?

ts91

Neo Member
Nope, still just the manual ones...

You have made me get out of bed *shakes fist*.

Just to double check, you are setting the directions from your current location to somewhere? As it wont do the turn by turn speaking if its not where you currently are.

I set the route from current location to X and hit route, tap on the location arrow just so it double checks my location and zoom's into it, tab 3D then click start and it will start speaking.

kinggroin

Banned
Google gimps YouTube apps, it's pretty much impossible for developers to make a decent one.

Since Apple hates Google they really have no incentive to make the iOS app a more pleasurable experience so we're stuck with the web app.

What?

You know, sometimes I hate this whole thing. Gimping features is not how you stay competitive
neither is suing for a liberal imitation of a feature

honestly I probably can care less about the map view (probably won't be long before google just put up the map on app store), but how does it look in Navigation mode?

is it comparable to my current favorite app Navigon?

63234.jpg

Appleman

You have made me get out of bed *shakes fist*.

Just to double check, you are setting the directions from your current location to somewhere? As it wont do the turn by turn speaking if its not where you currently are.

I set the route from current location to X and hit route, tap on the location arrow just so it double checks my location and zoom's into it, tab 3D then click start and it will start speaking.

Nope... US only?

EDIT: Maybe because I'm in a house?

Is maps totally crash happy for anybody else? Also, even when impress the 3D button, it just tilts the viewing angle. No 3D buildings. I checked major cities like NY and San Fran, but everything remains flat.

frico

turn-by-turn directions.

Try putting your iPhone in DFU mode then restoring via iTunes.

Make sure when Restoring via iTunes to hold down option and clicking Restore then select the ipsw file.
I don't want to put it in DFU mode, update, and gimp my phone. You think that will happen?

ts91

Neo Member
Nope... US only?

After doing everything I listed, what does your screen look like? I'm in the UK! edit: im in a house!

I cant seem to find any options regarding flyover nor make any of the buildings in new york 3D like the demo, anyone able to test or know what the situation regarding this is?

Dev forums are going to be down for the next couple of hours, sleep time!

Appleman

After doing everything I listed, what does your screen look like? I'm in the UK!

I cant seem to find any options regarding flyover nor make any of the buildings in new york 3D like the demo, anyone able to test or know what the situation regarding this is?

Dev forums are going to be down for the next couple of hours, sleep time!

Looks like this, no audio:

For flyover try Chicago and hit 3D

ts91

Neo Member
hmm, perhaps not picking up your location? Only thing I notice with that screenshot is that it says 2 of 34, which means you are able to move to the next direction the only way for mine to do that would be to physically move.

Appleman

new ipod look.

Yep, I hate the orange Shuffle/Repeat icons though...

hmm, perhaps not picking up your location? Only thing I notice with that screenshot is that it says 2 of 34, which means you are able to move to the next direction the only way for mine to do that would be to physically move.

Yep, I can swipe through the direction "signs" left and right, and it will move to that direction much like the previous app when you clicked Next

lucius

I have a feeling I am still going to be using free Waze and Mapquest apps, I would pay for a Google map app if they just update it and stop gimping it on iPhone on purpose.

buhdeh

The UI is all over the place. Some things still have the rounded look others are squared off. The "detail sheet" in Maps doesn't even resemble anything else in iOS.

I hope they are still heavily working on the UI.

The UI is all over the place. Some things still have the rounded look others are squared off. The "detail sheet" in Maps doesn't even resemble anything else in iOS.

I hope they are still heavily working on the UI.
Yeah I think it will look more cohesive in the release, I like the more matte direction they are going though.

LCfiner

So it looks like we are getting a new ui skin revamp with more silver and flat black in a bunch of apps.

I wonder in the iPod app, if the airplay icon will slide over the play controls as it does now or if it’ll show up by volume, now that the play controls are boxed and segmented.

KtSlime

Google watch out.
LOL, yeah. Google Maps still (iPhone and website) gives me the wrong directions and puts some addresses in impossible locations from time to time. It's no surprise to me that Apples solution will take a bit of time to get it all sorted out.

I like how Maps is cleaner now. Streets are the important information on a map, and it seems you can still zoom in if you want all the other junk.

Appleman

Is there walking gps? A must in NYC and other cities

Yep.

EDIT: Actual walking turn by turn? Not sure actually mine isn't working for some reason.

So it looks like we are getting a new ui skin revamp with more silver and flat black in a bunch of apps.

I wonder in the iPod app, if the airplay icon will slide over the play controls as it does now or if it’ll show up by volume, now that the play controls are boxed and segmented.

Beside the volume.

Futureman

more screens. Music app looks nice. Maps is bad right now, need improvements. One of my favorite features on Android right now. Probably going to switch it up to iPhone next, but I want to keep Google Voice and I'm not sure if that's any good on iPhone. Plus this Maps issue looks pretty bad if iPhone 5 comes out in a few months.

joshlee

So is anyone having problems with the new maps crashing? everything works fine on it except when I try to search it just crashes. Which is pretty crucial since I deliver for a living and really want this to work.

If I ask for directions through Siri though it works perfect...strange

jedimike

Features are subject to change. Not all features are available on all devices.

Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas.

Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply.

Siri will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.

Shared Photo Streams requires iOS 6 on iPhone 4 or later or iPad 2 or later, or a Mac computer with OS X Mountain Lion. An up-to-date browser is required for accessing shared photo streams on the web.

FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4 or later, or iPad 2 or later with cellular data capability. Carrier data charges may apply. FaceTime is not available in all countries.

VIP list and VIP and Flagged smart mailboxes will be available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.

Offline Reading List will be available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.

Made for iPhone hearing aids require iPhone 4S.

Find My Friends and Find My iPhone enable you to locate iOS devices only when they are on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network or have an active data plan. Not available in all areas.

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

The Transamerica Pyramid Building is a registered service mark of Transamerica Corporation.

...and Apple still has the balls to play the fragmentation card with android? Unbelievable. I can't see myself ever buying their bullshit.

LCfiner

So is anyone having problems with the new maps crashing? everything works fine on it except when I try to search it just crashes. Which is pretty crucial since I deliver for a living and really want this to work.

If I ask for directions through Siri though it works perfect...strange

are you trying to use this beta on your main device and you need maps for work right now?

DON’T DO THIS!!!!

obvious stuff like crashes and directions into lakes should be fixed by launch. don’t use the beta now as a main device, for your own sanity!

...and Apple still has the balls to play the fragmentation card with android? Unbelievable. I can't see myself ever buying their bullshit.
Uh, really? Almost all of that can be summed up with "everything works on iPhone 4S and iPad 3, the coolest stuff doesn't work on your older junk." Same as anything ever.

joshlee

are you trying to use this beta on your main device and you need maps for work right now?

DON’T DO THIS!!!!

obvious stuff like crashes and directions into lakes should be fixed by launch. don’t use the beta now as a main device, for your own sanity!

Haha, warning noted. I used the ios5 beta on my main device and I survived despite how buggy it was. I live for risks so driving into a lake by staying on the cutting edge of technology meets my risk/benefit ratio.

But seriously, is this the same for everyone? If so I might attempt to downgrade depending on how well siri recognizes addresses, which is pretty flawless so far.

jedimike

Uh, really? Almost all of that can be summed up with "everything works on iPhone 4S and iPad 3, the coolest stuff doesn't work on your older junk." Same as anything ever.

Exactly. But apparently you didn't watch the conference and see where they created slides highlighting the fragmentation of android and joking about "ice cream sandwich."

Evidently 3D/flyover doesn't seem to be working on the new iPad at the moment. Unless I'm doing something wrong. I even looked for the lincoln memorial to see whether it just worked for the big sites. Anybody else try this yet?

Top Bottom