• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Dany

Banned
Since you don't get kick backed to the homescreen every time you download an app a "New" banner appears across the app:

e12e957eb42b11e180d51231380fcd7e_7.jpg

This changes everything.

Fucking finally.

Blearth

Banned
Exactly. But apparently you didn't watch the conference and see where they created slides highlighting the fragmentation of android and joking about "ice cream sandwich."
You're underestimating just how fragmented Android is.

Android is far, far, far more fragmented than iOS is.

Less than 10% of Android users are on ICS, a build which was released nearly six months ago. That's real fragmentation.

LCfiner

Exactly. But apparently you didn't watch the conference and see where they created slides highlighting the fragmentation of android and joking about "ice cream sandwich."

yeah, we did. the things you point out are chump change compared to the craziness of Android fragmentation. there’s way more hardware configurations. developers have a harder time testing and supporting all the handsets.

Plus, as you mentioned, the users of Android aren’t getting the latest OS so devs can’t take advantage of new APIs. Android devs need to target an OS that’s, what, over 2 years old? It makes things more restrictive.

And Google should be embarrassed that only around 7% of users are on ICS. They talked lots of shit laster year about unified software upgrades and it’s been a dud. No one building (or buying) Android phones gives a shit. what message does that send to developers who want to make a living on the platform?

Those differences are more dangerous for a platform than whether or not Siri is on the iPhone 4 or not. or tiny things like hearing aid support on the 4S

buhdeh

Less than 10% of Android users are on ICS, a build which was released nearly six months ago. That's real fragmentation.

Not to mention phones like the Sony Xperia S, P, and U that were released weeks ago and still run gingerbread.

KtSlime

So what? This is a simple case of the man 10 pounds over weight calling the man 200 pounds over weight a fatty. While Apple has a bit of fragmentation going on with their products, it's got nothing on Android.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I wonder how well Siri will handle multiple sports teams or will it be location specific? (could drive transplanted fans insane)

Giants could refer to SF giants or NY Giants
Jets could refer to NY Jets or Winnipeg Jets
Kings could refer to Sacramento Kings or LA Kings

Will they handle team nick names or short forms? NHL is loaded with them where the short forms are almost more prominent than the team names

Isles, leafs, habs, sens, canes, rags, avs, pens, yotes, bolts, wings...

I know there is other examples in other sports too

Just a mild curiosity I have

jedimike

Who cares what version is on what phone. The issue to consumers is about features. People want the latest OS because it offers better features. So even though iOS isn't as technically fragmented as android, the impact to consumers is far greater. The impact of a consumer having gingerbread on their android device is significantly less than a consumer who has iOS 5 or 6 on their iPhone 3GS or even 4.

Who cares what version is on what phone. The issue to consumers is about features. People want the latest OS because it offers better features. So even though iOS isn't as technically fragmented as android, the impact to consumers is far greater. The impact of a consumer having gingerbread on their android device is significantly less than a consumer who has iOS 6 on their iPhone 3GS or even 4.
What's your solution? Don't do anything new that your older stuff can't handle?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Who cares what version is on what phone. The issue to consumers is about features. People want the latest OS because it offers better features. So even though iOS isn't as technically fragmented as android, the impact to consumers is far greater. The impact of a consumer having gingerbread on their android device is significantly less than a consumer who has iOS 6 on their iPhone 3GS or even 4.

What point are you trying to make? It's not like these users had these features in the first place. These are added features.

We're talking devices that are 2+ years old. People upgrade phones, you know.

KtSlime

This was WWDC - World Wide Developers Conference - the customers in this particular situation are developers. Having to support Gingerbread certainly DOES affect THESE particular customers.

Tobor

What in the what? I bolded the parts that make no sense, please elaborate.

Having new optional features is fine. Making iOS 6 not compatible with the iPad, which was the most current iPad until a year and 4 months ago, is inexcusable.
Not really. Normally I would agree, but the iPad 1 is such hot garbage. It barely manages one webpage at a time in iOS 5, and it takes so long to get to that point at all.

Fatalah

So every major mobile platform has a maps service now. Bing's service merged with Nokia's so it's pretty formidable now.

Is Bing Maps on iOS? Google Maps has always been my "killer app" on Android.

Appleman

I wonder how well Siri will handle multiple sports teams or will it be location specific? (could drive transplanted fans insane)

Giants could refer to SF giants or NY Giants
Jets could refer to NY Jets or Winnipeg Jets
Kings could refer to Sacramento Kings or LA Kings

Will they handle team nick names or short forms? NHL is loaded with them where the short forms are almost more prominent than the team names

Isles, leafs, habs, sens, canes, rags, avs, pens, yotes, bolts, wings...

I know there is other examples in other sports too

Just a mild curiosity I have

"Score of the Jets game defaults to Winnipeg (because I'm in Canada?)

It also mentioned that the Sens are out of the playoffs after the game it displayed

Blearth

Banned
Having new optional features is fine. Making iOS 6 not compatible with the iPad, which was the most current iPad until a year and 4 months ago, is inexcusable.

Anyone who bought an original iPad is probably loaded anyway. They can afford a new one.

jedimike

What's your solution? Don't do anything new that your older stuff can't handle?

The solution for Apple is to stop highlighting android fragmentation as a terrible thing for android consumers while pissing on their own consumers. There is no technical reason why older iPhones can't enjoy some of the 4S features.

LCfiner

I suspect this is Apple’s attempt to avoid an iOS 4 on iPhone 3G situation. They’d rather take the PR hit by not offering it than by putting out the update and having millions of devices that barely run.

Remember, the iPad launched before Apple even had proper multi tasking APIs. that 256 MB of RAM is going to limit what it can do now.

RC

Banned
Maybe they'll finally fix bluetooth playback after they borked it with iOS5. So tired of shuffle randomly turning off.

KtSlime

The solution for Apple is to stop highlighting android fragmentation as a terrible thing for android DEVELOPERS while pissing on their own consumers. There is no technical reason why older iPhones can't enjoy some of the 4S features.

How do you not get that this was target at people developing software for their platforms? To not point out the terrible fragmented mess it is to develop for Android, or the fact that you have to write apps using outdated APIs to be able to maximize your app's potential users would be stupid.

Now you would have a point if this was a marketing bullet point to sell the iPhone, but it isn't. It is to sell a development platform to developers.

LCfiner

The solution for Apple is to stop highlighting android fragmentation as a terrible thing for android consumers while pissing on their own consumers. There is no technical reason why older iPhones can't enjoy some of the 4S features.

actually they were highlighting how Android fragmentation is a terrible thing for developers. We’ve mentioned this before to you in the thread. there’s a difference.

the fragmentation is a real hurdle for devs. it’s more a problem for them than for consumers to my mind. (If consumers cared, they wouldn’t be buying up the phones with old-ass OS and customized carrier and OEM bullshit on it, right?)

Mairu

Well apparently there's no walking/transit/bicycle directions on the apple maps app... I hope they add it before it goes out of beta :(

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Who cares what version is on what phone. The issue to consumers is about features. People want the latest OS because it offers better features. So even though iOS isn't as technically fragmented as android, the impact to consumers is far greater. The impact of a consumer having gingerbread on their android device is significantly less than a consumer who has iOS 5 or 6 on their iPhone 3GS or even 4.

Consumer has IOS x. Anything for IOS x works on their phone.

...but developing for features like Siri won't be an issue for iOS developers because most users are on iOS 5?

You don't see the double standard?
There is no Siri API.

They didn't fix the camera app. When you take a picture then click the album from within the camera you can't send the picture to someone from that screen. You have to open up the Photos app. Why?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So there is no situation where developers have to consider and code the differences between the various features of each iPhone?
You code for the ios version not the device. Thats the beauty.

Android fragmentation is much worse. Fragmentation happens in the ios ecosystem too but its not nearly as bad.

Not sure where you are going here. Look at the charts.

giga

So there is no situation where developers have to consider and code the differences between the various features of each iPhone?
Hardware features? Sure. Not all iOS devices have gyros, a retina display, and other things like that. But otherwise, everything else is usually fair game.

How so?

I find the store changes to be great, Siri changes are far more useful.
It's a mess of old UI elements with new ones. Not that it wasn't kinda bad with that before but this is just too much for me. Doesn't help that some of it is pretty ugly. I was really hoping for the silver UI redesign rumors to be true, but no, still stuck with the shiny blue tab icons in some apps, just now with inconsistent tab bars.

Of course it's the first dev preview so stuff will change, I hope they'll take care of the ugly at least (hopefully starting with the music app's Now Playing screen, jesus)

Edit: I should mention I'm talking iPhone here.

pxleyes

Banned
Safari seems much faster than before. Surprised no mention was made with the speed improvements I'm seeing.

The new store apps are fully updated now. If anyone wants screens of anything, let me know.

celebi23

Anyone know if iCloud tabs are available for the iPod? Can't seem to figure it out. Maybe it's an iPhone 4S/iPad 3 feature? Really loving iOS 6 so far :D

Top Bottom