• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

1Password is indispensable for me. You can store anything you want in it that you want to have with you at all times but want to keep secure. Passwords, credit card numbers, bank account info, notes, profiles. It's very useful and very secure. Plus the syncing is so good. I use it in conjunction with Keychain.

Alternatively there's also LastPass which some people swear by. I assume it's similar in most respects. (I haven't used it.)

I use 1Password currently, but I have looked into LastPass and it looks really good as well. All of the apps are free, with a $12 a year subscription where as 1Password has no subscription but charges for every app. It can get pretty expensive if you are buying apps for iOS, OS X, and Windows.

Is 1password able to login into apps themselves?

No. iOS does not currently allow for that. Maybe it will change in time with extensions in iOS 8 or 9.

AgileBits has already said that app logins are coming in iOS 8, and that the update will be free for anyone who currently is on 1Password 4.0. It will be up to individual apps to add support for in their apps though. I assume that LassPass will be going the same route as they added app logins on Android a few months back.

Ambitious

I've got automatic app updates turned off because I'd like to read the changelog before updating. However, this means I have to manually update my apps on all my devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac).

Can I somehow set them up to download updates automatically on all devices, but only when I initiate an update on one of them?
The Updates toggle in the App Store settings apparently just enables auto-update in general.

Deku Tree

I've got automatic app updates turned off because I'd like to read the changelog before updating. However, this means I have to manually update my apps on all my devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac).

Can I somehow set them up to download updates automatically on all devices, but only when I initiate an update on one of them?
The Updates toggle in the App Store settings apparently just enables auto-update in general.

No, not on all devices.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I use 1Password currently, but I have looked into LastPass and it looks really good as well. All of the apps are free, with a $12 a year subscription where as 1Password has no subscription but charges for every app. It can get pretty expensive if you are buying apps for iOS, OS X, and Windows.
I only need it for iOS and OS X and since they don't update as often as Parallels does ($50+ a year for each upgrade version) and I wait for sales I can justify the price I've spent so far. I think I got 3.x in a MacUpdate bundle with Parallels and paid the upgrade for 4.0 when it came out. And bought the iOS 4.0 version at release when they were doing a sale.

AgileBits has already said that app logins are coming in iOS 8, and that the update will be free for anyone who currently is on 1Password 4.0. It will be up to individual apps to add support for in their apps though. I assume that LassPass will be going the same route as they added app logins on Android a few months back.
This is great news. But can we expect stubborn apps like FaceBook to even bother? They still don't support Safari's Reading List even though Twitter does because they'd rather roll their own service.

I only need it for iOS and OS X and since they don't update as often as Parallels does ($50+ a year for each upgrade version) and I wait for sales I can justify the price I've spent so far. I think I got 3.x in a MacUpdate bundle with Parallels and paid the upgrade for 4.0 when it came out. And bought the iOS 4.0 version at release when they were doing a sale.

This is great news. But can we expect stubborn apps like FaceBook to even bother? They still don't support Safari's Reading List even though Twitter does because they'd rather roll their own service.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing LastPass over 1Pass or vice versa, just letting everyone know their options with the two different purchase models.

That's a good question. I have seen a few apps announce they'll support the 1Pass extension in iOS 8, but none of the major players yet. I would hope companies would see the benefit of supporting it, but sadly I don't think that will be the case for many of them.

Suddenly, I'm having an issue with scrolling on my 5s. It's unpredictable, and often just pressing down on the screen will cause it to scroll in the opposite direction, or bounce upwards.

sruckus

Since 1Password is being discussed. I've been using LastPass, but ready to give it a try because the LastPass mobile options suck and I need to get better about using unique passwords consistently.

Do you think now is the best time to buy or do you think there might be a promo for the iOS 8 release? I'll also be needing the Mac and WIndows (for work) version, so I want to save some money.

jts

...hate me...
I read somewhere that GM means it's the final version before officially being released?
Doesn't 8.1 usually come later in the year?
Yes, GM is the final version, save for any last minute critical bugs.

But it has been buttery smooth for me on an iPhone 5, to be honest. Fine performance, battery life and everything goes well in general.

Had 1 of those instance where you finish a phone call and the phone app kinda hangs and you can't really force quit it, and you get the green bar on top of the homescreen, but I've had that with many a stable software versions. It lasted 10-15 seconds. Not much else to report.

sruckus

if iOS 8 GM is the final version...oh man its quite buggy still

Yep. Unresponsive touch screen occasionally. Also went on a run and iSmoothRun only worked in the foreground (something I discovered late) and couldn't play music while it was running either. It better just be a simple fix and not Apple screwing it up and having to wait for another iOS release.

I'm hoping there will be another release the 17.

sruckus

Chrome and Mail are very stuttery and just lock up. Double tapping the home button just sent me to the Apple logo. Never even saw that happen until iOS 7 and looks like it's back.

Number45

Since 1Password is being discussed. I've been using LastPass, but ready to give it a try because the LastPass mobile options suck and I need to get better about using unique passwords consistently.

Do you think now is the best time to buy or do you think there might be a promo for the iOS 8 release? I'll also be needing the Mac and WIndows (for work) version, so I want to save some money.
What are your problems with LP mobile?

sruckus

The apps aren't as nice. The browser extension is really finicky and I don't really like having it stored online like that anymore...even if in theory they can't see it.

I've also not heard any ios 8 plans at all, but know what to expect with 1P.

Yes, GM is the final version, save for any last minute critical bugs.

But it has been buttery smooth for me on an iPhone 5, to be honest. Fine performance, battery life and everything goes well in general.

Had 1 of those instance where you finish a phone call and the phone app kinda hangs and you can't really force quit it, and you get the green bar on top of the homescreen, but I've had that with many a stable software versions. It lasted 10-15 seconds. Not much else to report.

iOS 8 GM has been Bug City, Utah on my iPhone 5.

Quixzlizx

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I didn't find an iPad community-type thread when I did a search. I'm looking for a thin case for an iPad 3. I basically just want something that's good enough to keep it from getting scuffed/scratched when I throw it in a backpack, without adding a lot of bulk.

Top Bottom