• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Damn, I didn't realize I had less than a GB left on my 32gb phone, and you need at least 1.9GB free to install.

I have no media on this thing other than pictures. Time to clip pictures and apps.

Talon

The default animation speed is significantly faster. A little surprising, actually.
Damn, I didn't realize I had less than a GB left on my 32gb phone, and you need at least 1.9GB free to install.

I have no media on this thing other than pictures. Time to clip pictures and apps.
Check some of your installed apps. I noticed Flipboard mysteriously had 250 MB of docs + data built up, for example.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Apps that have web browsers will fill up your cache very fast as they store everything until some unknown time later. I use PhoneClean to delete them when I need to but that app isn't free anymore. I think deleting the app will delete the cache too.

This includes Flipboard. ^

I just had to delete some music, my podcasts and an app to free up space just to install. Why can't they just make 32GB the base on these things? Geeze.

alvmew

"- FaceTime call notifications are automatically cleared when you answer a call on another device"

Fucking finally.

Why can't they do that will all apps? They did say that when they unveiled iOS7.

Agreed. I would have gladly paid for an update with this so long ago. Thank god I can finally let my family use my iPad without getting irritated at the FaceTime notifications popping up on my phone daily x.x

Dany

Banned
Apps that have web browsers will fill up your cache very fast as they store everything until some unknown time later. I use PhoneClean to delete them when I need to but that app isn't free anymore. I think deleting the app will delete the cache too.

This includes Flipboard. ^

I just had to delete some music, my podcasts and an app to free up space just to install. Why can't they just make 32GB the base on these things? Geeze.

does that work when a video file is partially downloaded? because there is no way to delete partialyl downloaded videos form instacast or podcast app

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
does that work when a video file is partially downloaded? because there is no way to delete partialyl downloaded videos form instacast or podcast app
The same app I have lets you download "partial downloads" too. Or at least it does failed syncs. I don't know if iOS has a cleanup schedule but I really hope it does. Because the OS can pile up a lot of crap it doesn't need if you let it. I once found a few gigabytes of partially copied music from a sync I was doing. I wouldn't have known it had a problem if it weren't for the program. And 16GB is very small. I need all the space I can get. I'd assume those partial downloads are actually counted as cache.

I wonder when iOS' cache cleaning is done if ever.

numble

Maps navigation can now use HFP prompts. You can use the radio or CD player and still have directions given over your car audio system, instead of being stuck on Bluetooth input.

The same app I have lets you download "partial downloads" too. Or at least it does failed syncs. I don't know if iOS has a cleanup schedule but I really hope it does. Because the OS can pile up a lot of crap it doesn't need if you let it. I once found a few gigabytes of partially copied music from a sync I was doing. I wouldn't have known it had a problem if it weren't for the program. And 16GB is very small. I need all the space I can get. I'd assume those partial downloads are actually counted as cache.

I wonder when iOS' cache cleaning is done if ever.

My parents just went 16GB for 5S's, coming from 8GB 4's with the idea that they'll use iTunes Match and iTunes Radio to stream all their music. Hopefully they don't get stuck ever having to rearrange the fridge.

7.1 allows you/does automatically (I don't remember) to delete your old update data, so luckily we won't have gigs of update data floating around.

I fell like iOS mail has been getting worse...
Synching with gmail has become very patchy, read/deleted emails sudenly reapearing and such...
Anyone else having issues?

Apologises if this is off topic, but seemed like the best place for it.

Mark Gurman/9to5 Mac have been posting some info on iOS 8. Previously:

Healthbook activity tracking software for the next version of iOS.

Apple considers moving iTunes Radio in iOS 8 to its own app to boost usage

iOS 8: Apple polishes Maps data, adds public transit directions service/

From today:

iOS 8: Apple works to further push iCloud as the future of the file system

Apple is developing versions of the Mac operating system’s Preview and TextEdit applications that are optimized for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. The applications are said to not be designed to actually edit PDFs, images, or text documents. Instead, the apps are built to serve as tools to view Preview and TextEdit files stored in iCloud by OS X.

The development of the new applications comes as a benefit of Apple Senior VP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi’s restructuring of Apple’s OS X and iOS development teams over the course of the past year, according to sources. These people say that Federighi has opened the previous iOS and OS X feature development silos and that all iOS and OS X software engineers work in tandem on both operating systems. Prior to these changes, for example, an OS X team would develop the TextEdit and Preview apps completely separately from the larger iOS group, who could, independently, develop versions of Preview and TextEdit for iOS. Now each application is managed by single groups that develop both iOS and OS X versions.

Good to hear the same developers are working on the same apps across iOS + OS X.

Supposed iOS 8 screenshot showing Healthbook, (presumably temporary) Preview and TextEdit, and a Tips app:

ios8-screen.jpg

http://9to5mac.com/2014/03/13/screenshots-of-ios-8-healthbook-preview-textedit-icons-leaked/

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So this is a first for me: I'm all upgraded. It usually takes me weeks to get both my phone and ipad updated.

Seems stable so far. I still have motion reduced on the phone, but I turned it back on in the ipad version. I think I'm gonna leave it on, it doesn't seem so grievously harmful this time around. I'm really starting to become displeased with camera performance. The phone camera is noticeably slower to open and change settings compared to the day I bought it. It sucks.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I want to believe they're real though. Though it'd be much better if we also got an iCloud browser that could display all my cloud documents and open them in the respective app while also giving us an OS X iCloud folder too. I'd delete DropBox for that as I don't use it for much anyway. I mean right now I use a total of 0.6GB on my iCloud across all my devices. I'd use it much more if it behaved like DropBox. Let me put symlinks to my pictures folders in there and have it sync them then have the browser or Preview app see all those images (Indexing of course) or put a symlink to my text documents folders and do the same for TextEdit. It's what I do with DropBox but iOS doesn't have those apps. And while DropBox lets you view images and text files in the app, an iCloud app that does the same thing would be nice. Especially if it let you open the file in those apps. Also, DropBox doesn't let you do any editing to the files. So I can't change a text file on the go or edit a photo simply without using a completely different service with its own syncing system. (And believe me, I looked into cloud based text editors. They all suck so much. All of them.)

I actually have a Hazel script set to move screenshots from my desktop to my Screenshots folder and other images to respective Image folders which are symlinked in my DropBox which lets me view all my images on the go at any time, but of course there's a limit and I don't pay for DropBox. (Though I haven't even reached my 2.8GB limit yet. 2.8 because I have Photo syncing turned on specifically to bump up my storage) A folder-based iCloud system would also need to let me use folder structures and not just limit it to Tags and single folders for each app.

They also need to fix up iCloud photos and make it so if I'm on the iCloud website, I can view all my images in my Photo Stream and if I'm in the Photos app let me view my entire iPhoto library from within the app but not require me to have them all on the device itself. (Cloud stream them instead of hard sync. I hate syncing my iPhoto Library because the damn app creates a cache the exact same size of the content for every device. So syncing a 2GB Library to an iPhone and iPad will make your iPhoto Library 6GB in size. Imagine if you have a 10GB iPhoto Library! That's 30GB of space taken on your Mac. I'd rather it just sync it to iCloud and let me view them from the cloud instead. Optionally of course.)

Also, iTunes iCloud sync please. I still don't get why playing music on my iPad will resort a playlist in real-time on the device, but not on my iPhone, which is where I listen to my music. I should be able to make changes to my playlists, both normal and Smart, on any device or from any browser or iTunes itself and have it update automatically.

I'd pay for iCloud and iTunes Match just for these features. Everything Cloud with local caching on demand.

I think I'm rambling. I look forward to iOS 8, but my expectations are so high I'm certainly setting myself up for disappointment.

numble

Gurman has his sources, but the details seem off. If the new apps are read-only, why have separate apps? If it is read-only, I doubt it will still be called TextEdit.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'd really like a shortcut for the phone keypad in control center. They won't ever let us customize what's in that tray, will they? The timer one is basically a wasted spot for me on prime real estate.

Deku Tree

I'd like to use AirPlay with my Mac (iOS to OS X), but apparently I need a 3rd party app for that. Any recommendations?

What are you talking about? AirPlay works with iTunes on Mac... You mean something like the PSN server App that let's the Playstation 3 see your Mac as a file server?

Ambitious

I've used AirServer for a long time now. Works great, very well supported.

Oops, I totally forgot about that. I actually tried it months ago, can't remember why i uninstalled it. Thanks!
Apparently, Reflector is great as well. I'm gonna compare them as soon as I'm back home.

What are you talking about? AirPlay works with iTunes on Mac... You mean something like the PSN server App that let's the Playstation 3 see your Mac as a file server?

iTunes can stream, but not receive. Besides, I don't want to stream music but use Airplay Mirroring. Sometimes, when I browse GAF on the couch, I'd like to view stuff on the TV (e.g. high-res screenshots). I don't have an AppleTV, but a Mac mini.

On the lastest iOS version, how do you reopen closed tabs in safari for iPhone/iPod Touch? I swear I used to be able to do it by holding the "+" button, but it's not working.

Ambitious

Oops, I totally forgot about that. I actually tried it months ago, can't remember why i uninstalled it. Thanks!
Apparently, Reflector is great as well. I'm gonna compare them as soon as I'm back home.

iTunes can stream, but not receive. Besides, I don't want to stream music but use Airplay Mirroring. Sometimes, when I browse GAF on the couch, I'd like to view stuff on the TV (e.g. high-res screenshots). I don't have an AppleTV, but a Mac mini.

+1 on Reflector. I use it on my MacBook.

In the end, I went with AirServer, but I kinda regret it. It was fine when I tried the demo, but now it's kinda buggy. Fullscreen doesn't work anymore, and the menubar is unresponsive when the app window is active.

With Reflector, on the other hand, the mirrored picture is really blurry for some reason. I already turned the resolution setting to the maximum, but it's unchanged. However, design- and feature-wise it's superior to AirServer. For example, it's possible to display the iOS device's bezel around the window, which looks pretty cool. Being able to force portrait or landscape mode might come in handy too.
If I'm able to find and solve the problem with the blurriness, I might switch to Reflector.

By the way, I got a 4$ discount code for buying AirServer. It's valid until March 29th, quote this post to see it.

edit: Comparison. AirServer vs Reflector

cjp

Can't believe I've only just figured out that swiping left on open tabs in Safari closes them.

7.1.1 is out

iOS 7.1.1

This update contains improvements, bug fixes and security updates, including:

• Further improvements to Touch ID fingerprint recognition
• Fixes a bug that could impact keyboard responsiveness
• Fixes an issue when using Bluetooth keyboards with VoiceOver enabled

For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Deku Tree

7.1.1 is out

iOS 7.1.1

This update contains improvements, bug fixes and security updates, including:

• Further improvements to Touch ID fingerprint recognition
• Fixes a bug that could impact keyboard responsiveness
• Fixes an issue when using Bluetooth keyboards with VoiceOver enabled

For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Downloading over the Air.

mrkgoo

Downloading over the Air.
The bug that "could impact keyboard responsiveness" - I wonder if that's the bug I get when typing then it slows and then freezes ALL controls, requiring a hard reset (holding both home and sleep/wake button for ten seconds).

I hope so.

I can't update yet however, I have been abroad for a month with no means to backup my photos, so I'm not going to update until I retrieve those images.

Since installing 7.1 on my 5S, occasionally it stops responding to my touch (sounds like a GirlAge thread, I know), so if I try to scroll down in Safari it will briefly go down then fly up, or if I try to close an app in the app list it will scroll the list all the way to the right. Taps are generally ignored.

Dancing between apps and the home screen (via the home button) can fix it, as will locking and unlocking it (thank goodness for Touch ID, since it has also happened on the unlock screen).

Anyone heard of this? I can't even figure out how to search for it.

Should probably erase and restore it, huh?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Tried to do an OTA update to 7.1.1 just now and my phone got bricked. This has never happened to me before. :(

When I turn it on I only see an Apple logo and iTunes is not even recognizing it. No idea what to do.

Deku Tree

Tried to do an OTA update to 7.1.1 just now and my phone got bricked. This has never happened to me before. :(

When I turn it on I only see an Apple logo and iTunes is not even recognizing it. No idea what to do.

So you plug it into your computer and iTunes does not recognize it? Sounds like a hardware issue. Take it to an Apple store, or call Apple.

Edit:

Fuck, had to put it in recovery mode and restore to factory settings. I hope iCloud saved my latest shit.

Just noticed that. Good luck.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
iCloud backups should happen daily. Providing yours happened yesterday at some point you're fine. All other apps sync immediately and backups are daily.

You should be fine when you get your device working again.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hey guys, is it possible to stop my phone from making a noise when emails come between certain hours?
Settings > Notification Center > Mail > the e-mail account you want to mute > set Alert Sound to "none"

Sorry if the wording is not exactly that in English, my phone is in Portuguese atm.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I have to say, I was pissed about what happened, but iCloud works pretty damn good as a back up. Every app is exactly how I left it last night. I obviously lost some data that hadn't been backed up yet, but it wasn't the end of the world.

tmdorsey

I have to say, I was pissed about what happened, but iCloud works pretty damn good as a back up. Every app is exactly how I left it last night. I obviously lost some data that hadn't been backed up yet, but it wasn't the end of the world.

I'm ignorant to how cloud backup works in other mobile OS's, but I have to say iCloud backup never fails to impress me with how simple, easy, and flawlessly it works.

mrkgoo

There are SOME things it doesn't back up but those things should be readily acquirable for the most part.

Stuff like some types of DLC, things like that.

If you run an older OS, some versions of apps may no longer be available.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
There are SOME things it doesn't back up but those things should be readily acquirable for the most part.

Stuff like some types of DLC, things like that.

If you run an older OS, some versions of apps may no longer be available.
I forget but will the DLC be backed up if you do a local iTunes backup? (You can perform an iTunes backup separately from the automatic iCloud backup)

Top Bottom