• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

mrkgoo

I forget but will the DLC be backed up if you do a local iTunes backup? (You can perform an iTunes backup separately from the automatic iCloud backup)
I don't think so.

Just the way apps are programmed, certain files can be saved in different ways. It depends on the DLC. I never see my walking dead episodes (game) when I restore from itunes. The save file is there though.

iCloud backup was screwy on my parents iPad. After a restore all the imported photos were messed up.

It's probably way more robust now.

As an added precaution I actually do manual backups on iTunes And also backup to icloud.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
There are SOME things it doesn't back up but those things should be readily acquirable for the most part.

Stuff like some types of DLC, things like that.

If you run an older OS, some versions of apps may no longer be available.

If I'm not mistaken (I haven't delved in iOS app making in a while) Apple mandates these days that if you're a developer and you release an update that is not supported by an older version of iOS, that you keep the last supported version of your app available for downloading, it'll be the automatically available version for the older iOS to download.

E.g. you release v1.2 which cuts out iOS 6 for some reason, then v1.1 that preceded it will still be available to iOS 6 users to download from the store.

mrkgoo

If I'm not mistaken (I haven't delved in iOS app making in a while) Apple mandates these days that if you're a developer and you release an update that is not supported by an older version of iOS, that you keep the last supported version of your app available for downloading, it'll be the automatically available version for the older iOS to download.

E.g. you release v1.2 which cuts out iOS 6 for some reason, then v1.1 that preceded it will still be available to iOS 6 users to download from the store.

Yeah I've heard that.

I think it's a suggestion perhaps? Do you really think even apple keep older versions of pages/numbers available for iOS 5, which is the last iOS for the original iPad available?

mollipen

So, oh my god, the new version of Google Drive is so utterly terrible. They've changed it so that there are separate apps for working with documents and spreadsheets (separate apps for each of those two things), and you can now do no editing directly in the Google Drive app.*

(* At least, I know for sure you can't if you agree to download one of those apps and don't realize what you're doing. I was able to edit things directly in Google Drive earlier today, and now I can't.)

I'm doing a restore from my iCloud backup in hopes that I can get the old version of the app back. For anyone who uses Google Drive on a regular basis, BE AWARE.

Number45

Yeah I've heard that.

I think it's a suggestion perhaps? Do you really think even apple keep older versions of pages/numbers available for iOS 5, which is the last iOS for the original iPad available?
My Dad (who still has the original iPad) lost his access to SkyGo recently because of a required app update (that needs iOS6). Pretty frustrating for him, though fortunately my Mum has an Air so he can use that if necessary.

Zoe

Anybody know what the deal is with this showing all the time on YouTube?

LEZhoZE.jpg

Shows on both Safari and Chrome.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Are you asking what it is? Because it's quite obvious.

Are you asking why it's there? Because it shows up at the end of videos so you can rate or add it to a playlist or share it.

Are you have an actual problem with it? If so, please tell us what it is.

Your post is too vague.

Zoe

showing all the time

It will only go away if I go full screen. It just started recently, and only on iOS.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
showing all the time

It will only go away if I go full screen. It just started recently, and only on iOS.
In the official YouTube app? Doesn't appear for me so I don't know why. You should be in fullscreen all the time when viewing video anyway. ;)

Deku Tree

It asks if you want to sync with your local calendars or with your google calendar. I choose local calendar sync, and then it sees all of your iCloud calendars and all of your google calendars. I haven't tried inputting new events to see what happens yet.

It would be hilarious if Apple was forced to put serious work into iTunes for Windows because of a security flaw. But, it's probably easily patchable.

Jonogunn

Figured I won't create a new thread but..

So I cracked my iPhone 5 screen awhile back and got it replace by a 3rd party store in crystal mall.

I stupidly cracked part of it again and on top of that my audio receiver doesn't seem to be as loud as before.

I want to take it into apple store and have it replaced for $269.

Has anyone had experience with this situation before? Would they be able to tell it was replaced by a 3rd party and do they have guys look at it in the back first?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So I got a cheap iPhone 4 and its firmware is 6.1.3, and I'm wondering if should stick with this FW or I jump into the latest iOS firmware. Is it performance that bad for all the basic stuff? Not planning to make use of some heavy performance apps in any case, just the basic ones (Whatsapp, Twitter, Camera, Dropbox, etc.)

So I cracked my iPhone 5 screen awhile back and got it replace by a 3rd party store in crystal mall.

I stupidly cracked part of it again and on top of that my audio receiver doesn't seem to be as loud as before.

Has anyone had experience with this situation before? Would they be able to tell it was replaced by a 3rd party and do they have guys look at it in the back first?

Well their system will be able to tell them that it wasn't done by Apple directly, but why should they care. It's not as if you want to have it replaced on warranty or anything. I would guess they will happily take your money and run with it.

I had this done, and the 3rd party did a poor job replacing the screen. It led to some other issues and when I took it into the Apple store, they just replaced it for free. I doubt there's a way to tell, or if they care since you're going to be paying for the replacement.

Deku Tree

All the times I have gone into the Apple store for something like that there was no "tech in the back" to look at my phone closely. They just looked at it and replaced it.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Well crap, just did another OTA update and my phone has been stuck in the install screen for at least 45 min. The one with the Apple logo and the install bar. It has been stuck at about 1/4th of the way through all this time. Do I keep waiting, or is it pretty much bricked at this point?

I am starting to think there is an issue with my phone now. iPhone 6 can't come soon enough!

Particle Physicist

hold the power and home button until the screen turns black. then turn it on.

I did that last time and it bricked it. I had to do a complete reinstall afterward. It worked fine, but was a bit of a pain. Is there any point in waiting a few hours to see if this finishes?

Particle Physicist

That's not exactly the definition of "bricked" I'm familiar with…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_(electronics)

It was a 'Soft Brick.' The thing would not start, and was just stuck on the Apple logo even when restarted. Connecting to iTunes did not bring up any valid data. It was completely corrupted and useless. I had to basically reformat and reinstall. You can also recover from hard bricks sometimes, depending on the circumstances.

neoism

so guys I've been an ipod user... for a long time. I've gotten 6 ipod's over the years two nano's and two touch. I've never had an ipad an was wondering should I get the mini or just an air? The thing is though why get an air at that shitty price I really need a new computer.. mine is getting close too 7years old. Also I've never had a iphone really hate taking on phones like at all, but having internet everywhere in your pocket seems awesome is the new 5.7 inch or whatever coming out this year? The price will probably be terrible though....

Mik317

Didn't feel like this was worth a whole thread...this seems to be the best place for it.

I am in the market for a tablet (by in the market I mean I want one..not need one). I enjoyed my Iphone until my vision got worse and the smaller screen was a hinderence and thus I bought a HTC One. I thought about going back to the Iphone with its upgrade but don't know if I want a new phone anytime soon and thought that maybe having the access to both android and IOS would be cool and useful and a tablet is the one piece of electronics I don't have (well that and big beefy PC..but that is a space issue) so why not.

The issue is that Apple upgrades their shit too much dammit and the newest Ipad Air potentially is going to come out.

So my question is..take the plunge now or wait? Like is the upgrade going to be that great (The touchID stuff doesn't seem that great and it's not like I will be doing amazing shit on it) enough to just hold off a few months? Is it even coming out(The phone comes out in september according to rumors right?)? What is a good price for an Air?

Any help is appreciated.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Didn't feel like this was worth a whole thread...this seems to be the best place for it.

I am in the market for a tablet (by in the market I mean I want one..not need one). I enjoyed my Iphone until my vision got worse and the smaller screen was a hinderence and thus I bought a HTC One. I thought about going back to the Iphone with its upgrade but don't know if I want a new phone anytime soon and thought that maybe having the access to both android and IOS would be cool and useful and a tablet is the one piece of electronics I don't have (well that and big beefy PC..but that is a space issue) so why not.

The issue is that Apple upgrades their shit too much dammit and the newest Ipad Air potentially is going to come out.

So my question is..take the plunge now or wait? Like is the upgrade going to be that great (The touchID stuff doesn't seem that great and it's not like I will be doing amazing shit on it) enough to just hold off a few months? Is it even coming out(The phone comes out in september according to rumors right?)? What is a good price for an Air?

Any help is appreciated.
Dude. They upgrade once a year. And their most important stuff is upgraded at the exact same time every year.

How is that "too much dammit"? September for iPhones. October for iPads.

The answer to your question is obviously wait right now. Because if you want an iPad, October will be the best time to get it.

In other words, the best time to buy any Apple product is when a new model is released. Just buy one when it's updated. The other best time is when you need it. If you can wait, then wait. It's a set schedule. It can be predicted.

Also Google "Macrumors buyers guide".

Mik317

Cool.

My main issue with the yearly update schedule is that my tech OCD gets in the way lol. ("you totally need that because of ram and other stuff you really don't understand but shut up and buy it now you whore").

I probably can wait it out and see if the upgrades are good and if the price isn't that much higher.

Xun

I recently got an iPhone 4S, which is fantastic, but the scroll in Safari is really starting to get on my nerves. :(

Any idea why they changed it with iOS 7?

Shearie

I just tested adding some sites to Reading List and while most of them are saved for offline viewing, some pages just refuse to be saved. Wonder why...

With Keychain able to sync to Safari and Chrome, across devices, what is the point of 1password? The app doesn't save passwords for specific apps within iOS does it - but just browser logins?

With Keychain able to sync to Safari and Chrome, across devices, what is the point of 1password? The app doesn't save passwords for specific apps within iOS does it - but just browser logins?

password managers save whatever you tell the to save.

Keychain is AWESOME if you are on iOSX devices, beyond that it's useless. At work on a windows machine I have no way of accessing my keychain passwords. Or beyond the browser if you need to enter a password within a third party app, keychain won't be helping you.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
1Password is indispensable for me. You can store anything you want in it that you want to have with you at all times but want to keep secure. Passwords, credit card numbers, bank account info, notes, profiles. It's very useful and very secure. Plus the syncing is so good. I use it in conjunction with Keychain.

Alternatively there's also LastPass which some people swear by. I assume it's similar in most respects. (I haven't used it.)

Top Bottom