• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Majine

Banned
iEZ597iEjIOK5.png

ibu111XkXN1xwa.png

ibu9TUHthNI97f.png

ibs2ELr5HTihb2.png

ivYyb7NiC7HZr.png

iPL3sOyGlikoc.png

iSdhcrhSzkBvX.png

ib0Va1wzVwUVWf.png

http://i.minus.com/iUZhMyGUu5qLI.png
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/i6i79dbIOrmoI.png
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibu9TUHthNI97f.png
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibs2ELr5HTihb2.png
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ivYyb7NiC7HZr.png
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iPL3sOyGlikoc.png
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iSdhcrhSzkBvX.png
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ib0Va1wzVwUVWf.png[/QUOTE]

This reads like a commercial.

dork

Banned
Been running it for a few days. So far so good, need to do a fresh install though, ran into a bug and some battery issues. Nothing a restore wont fix. Really want wait for the apps to update, to see what kind of lock screen stuff i can do

Corgi

Banned
Is it just me or is health pretty useless on iPhone 5? Does the m chip thing on the 5s provide stats for health?

Corgi

Banned
Any info how 3rd party widgets and keyboards would work? Will they have their own individual app icon, will they be managed in settings or their own category thing like newsstand?

Quick

Banned
I'm currently on the GM release, and the upgrades have been nice. Quick reply is awesome, and I'm hoping WhatsApp and other messaging services follow suit with adding that in.

The new QuickType keyboard feature is fine for the most part. One thing it needs is the ability to reject its autocorrect suggestions (tapping x on the bubble that pops up with the correctly spelled word) when QuickType is enabled. Closing it (swiping down on the suggested words box) brings back the original autocorrect word bubbles, though.

LCfiner

Is it just me or is health pretty useless on iPhone 5? Does the m chip thing on the 5s provide stats for health?

I assume apps like Withings and more will update in the next couple weeks and feed data into Health so you can still use the app on iphone 5.

------

biggest thing about the update is the extensions API and the iCloud Drive folders. for the last 3 or 4 years now, a lot of us have been hoping for more ways for apps to work with each other and share data, and now it seems this is happening.

It’ll take a few weeks or months after release before we see a good range of apps showing what can be done. At launch, a lot of people will be saying that iOS 8 is a small update to iOS 7. and, on the surface, it kind of is.

giga

The M7/M8 collects and stores some fitness data, but it's not required for HealthKit. There are apps today that calculate calories burned, miles ran, the amount of sugar consumed, and other metrics that don't require any specialized hardware.

RevoDS

It's there because third-party apps and devices may want to plug into it but yeah, it's mostly useless for those of us with older devices.

wrowa

It's kind of funny that I can't read a thread about iOS on my iOS device, due to the images being unreadable on a phone.

HUELEN10

Time to fess up: who here, on a compatible device, HASN'T installed Gold Master yet? Sure, you have to wait for apps to update to take full-advantage, but it's still worthwhile on its own!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Time to fess up: who here, on a compatible device, HASN'T installed Gold Master yet? Sure, you have to wait for apps to update to take full-advantage, but it's still worthwhile on its own!

Don't you need a developer account? I'd guess most people can't be arsed with that and will just wait for next week

RoKKeR

Getting an iPhone 6 after having a 2013 HTC One since last may and I am so looking forward to being back on iOS. Didn't know about some of these things but the iCloud photo library, iCloud Drive and the Health stuff all look great.

smuf

I haven't noticed much of a difference so far, but I'm really looking forward to the continuity features with Yosemite.

Running it on a 5 and a Retina mini, no issues so far.

Things i use the most are the expanded lock screen gestures for email, messages etc. Quick photo in messages is nice too.

I've found Quick Type to be pretty useless. I've only used it to type nonsensically random phrases to people in messages.

Looking forward to Yosemite to get my continuity on.

Cuphead

Banned
Can't wait to put this all up in my phone and pad.

mmm looks so nice. Mostly excited about the iCloud drive stuff.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The only thing that looks good to me, is the fact that I do not have to open my phone to text someone, otherwise it's very meh, at least to me.

HUELEN10

I will never understand the hate for the iOS keyboard; what's wrong with it?

I will say that if someone doesn't make a clone Windows Phone keyboard, then I will (it looks very nice. That design combined with the iOS stock keyboard would be great).

Been running this for a while now, and I honestly don't think most people will see much difference at first. The extensions are going to be the real star of this update. iCloud Photo Library is really cool, but now my iCloud storage allowance is shrinking fast because all the photos and videos that were on my phone are now stored there. Continuity and handoff work well too - but it's a little disconcerting at first when 3 or 4 devices around the house start ringing at once (including the laptop) when I get a call.

Anyone know if the new sdk changes would let F.lux come over to the non jailbroken side?

Literally 90% of the reason i jailbreak is for flux

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I will say that if someone doesn't make a clone Windows Phone keyboard, then I will (it looks very nice. That design combined with the iOS stock keyboard would be great).

Swype keyboards are a godsend for one handed use.

HUELEN10

Swype keyboards are a godsend for one handed use.
I was just about to edit my post. I've tried them on and off for years, and I really don't get the love for swype-style keyboards. I am also a big proponent for one-handed access.

Like, with a swype-style keyboard, when do you know when it is optimal to swipe, and when it is optimal to type? There is too much thinking involved, and if you don't play your cards right, choosing one or the other incorrectly, you end up wasting time. At least, that is what I found out from my use and timing.

i feel like i made a lot fewer typos on iOS 6's keyboard

Dez

I'm currently on the GM release, and the upgrades have been nice. Quick reply is awesome, and I'm hoping WhatsApp and other messaging services follow suit with adding that in.

The new QuickType keyboard feature is fine for the most part. One thing it needs is the ability to reject its autocorrect suggestions (tapping x on the bubble that pops up with the correctly spelled word) when QuickType is enabled. Closing it (swiping down on the suggested words box) brings back the original autocorrect word bubbles, though.

You can reject the autocorrect by selecting the suggested word on the left - it will be in quotes and it will be the word that you typed as is.

HUELEN10

Anyone love the new brightness bar in Notification Center? Now, it adjusts and shows you the actual brightness while doing it, so you don't have to guess.

Top Bottom