• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

HUELEN10

having 1password built into mobile safari will dramatically improve my mobile experience
You seem to be quite learned on password managers Stump. I am both an iOS user and OS X user, and while I keep hearing a lot about 1password, I've yet to invest in a password manager. I feel that I should now, in part to all these breaches and the like and to better simplify having them all, but don't know where to begin. For someone with nothing ATM, why should I invest in 1password when iCloud Keychain is free for example? Is there that much of a difference? Kinda wanna have things fully set up before I get new phone hardware next week.
"Price: Free"

Fucking lol.
Laugh all you want, but there was a time when iOS updates costed money for iPod Touch owners.

HUELEN10

Fun facts: iOS updates for iPod Touch once cost money. 20 dollars I think.
Slightly less...
MIs35IM.png

HUELEN10

Cannot wait for this.
I hope my iPad air does not slow down.
If you ware worried, then you should iTunes backup (and copy that backup somewhere too just in case) and do an update to 8 GM NOW. That way, if you don't like how slow it's going for you or anything like that, you can roll back to 7 in DFU mode while it is still being signed. If you wait until the 17th, you'll be too late. Am I right guys, or did they do something different this time.

LCfiner

It was because of this law:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarbanes–Oxley_Act

Something about accountability to shareholders required them to charge for functionality added after the initial sale.

But every tech company has found a way around that now.

yup. totally right. also the reason they charged a buck for adding wifi N capabilities to some laptops.

that said… 20 bucks for 5 apps. I could see 5 bucks. but 20 was kinda nuts.

Companies, in general, assigned more value to software then than they do (or can) now. Thinking was based more on desktop software prices, I think, where updates cost more money. In just over 5 years, expectation are way different. Mobile changed it so that now we absolutely expect software updates to be free or cheap as hell.

jstripes

Banned
Companies, in general, assigned more value to software then than they do (or can) now. Thinking was based more on desktop software prices, I think, where updates cost more money. In just over 5 years, expectation are way different. Mobile changed it so that now we absolutely expect software updates to be free or cheap as hell.

OSes, and related apps, aren't a profit centre anymore. The OS is just an incentive.

Apple makes their money selling hardware.

Google makes their money collecting info and selling advertising.

Microsoft is "Oh shit, what do we do now?"

GWX

Awesome OP. I posted some impressions of iOS 8 GM running on my iPad 4th gen in the WWDC14 thread. Since then, I've installed it on my iPhone 5s, and here are my impressions:

• It's faster/performs better than iOS 7.1.x in most situations. Touch ID unlock is surprisingly faster, it impresses me every time. Spotlight never lags (a first for iOS). Animations are smooth and responsive (just like iOS 7.1, maybe slightly better - could be placebo, though). Scrolling through pages inside folders presents a weird behavior: sometimes, during the scroll gesture, the next page appears blank for a split second before the apps appear, which is something that never happened in iOS 7.1.
  • The lack of a "Camera Roll" album sucks big time. I'm used to follow this workflow to switch wallpapers: Settings -> Wallpaper -> Choose New Wallpaper -> Camera Roll. Now, with the "Recently Added" album replacing the camera roll, I can never get to my old wallpapers, so I need to create a Wallpaper album and keep updating it manually or remember to enter the Photos app and switch wallpapers using the Share sheet. I imagine this also sucks for photo sharing inside other apps. I hope this shortcoming gets fixed when iCloud Photo Library launches next month.
  • Health app rules with M7. I use the M7 chip for tracking steps, most of the times. The step tracking data is so rich it actually keeps track of individual strides, so I know how many steps I took in a row when I go out for a walk, and not just in total for the day. I just keep the Steps graph in the dashboard, and it already makes the app very useful for me.
I'll update this post with more impressions after I spend more time with it and some third-party apps and extensions designed for iOS 8 come out.

edit: Some of the bugs I've seen in iOS 8 GM running on my iPad 4th gen:

giga

You seem to be quite learned on password managers Stump. I am both an iOS user and OS X user, and while I keep hearing a lot about 1password, I've yet to invest in a password manager. I feel that I should now, in part to all these breaches and the like and to better simplify having them all, but don't know where to begin. For someone with nothing ATM, why should I invest in 1password when iCloud Keychain is free for example? Is there that much of a difference? Kinda wanna have things fully set up before I get new phone hardware next week.

Laugh all you want, but there was a time when iOS updates costed money for iPod Touch owners.
iCloud keychain is mostly fine for regular use, but 1Password is definitely the power user option that's more flexible and functional. It has…

- a dedicated app on your phone when you need to view your data. iCloud keychain is only available in the browser when you navigate to a site's login page, and you can't even see the details of the login.
- a web app (via dropbox) for accessing your passwords on a non-personal computer
- multiple browser and OS support (again, helpful for non-personal devices)
- stores more types of data, like bank accounts (routing/account numbers) and driver's licenses.

n64coder

I will never understand the hate for the iOS keyboard; what's wrong with it?
It's painfully slow to type on it and a lot of times, the suggested word is wrong. I like on Windows Phone, there are multiple suggested words and in 8.1, the WordFlow keyboard is amazing, fast and very accurate.

I was just about to edit my post. I've tried them on and off for years, and I really don't get the love for swype-style keyboards. I am also a big proponent for one-handed access.

Like, with a swype-style keyboard, when do you know when it is optimal to swipe, and when it is optimal to type? There is too much thinking involved, and if you don't play your cards right, choosing one or the other incorrectly, you end up wasting time. At least, that is what I found out from my use and timing.

I can't comment on IOS or Android but I found Windows Phone swype keyboard to be very good and accurate. As long as I don't use a shortcut spelling or odd word, it gets it right almost all the time. I don't mind responding to a gaf post on my WP but it sucks on the iPad.

Enco

Oh and Touch ID is far better now. Really fast and picks me up 80% of the time. Used to be more like 50%.

NotBacon

Like, with a swype-style keyboard, when do you know when it is optimal to swipe, and when it is optimal to type? There is too much thinking involved, and if you don't play your cards right, choosing one or the other incorrectly, you end up wasting time. At least, that is what I found out from my use and timing.

You're thinking too much

Hey Siri is a brilliant feature.

Moto Voice would like to have a word with you :p

They are doing something with iCloud backups right? With my wife our iCloud backups get shared and overwrite each other's so only I use iCloud, and she uses iTunes backup once in a blue moon. I heard separate phones now can use separate backups or something?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
actually..
BEFORE 2.0, Apple charged 20 bucks for adding 5 apps not originally part of the iPod Touch It added Mail, Maps, Stocks, Weather and Notes.

How times change.
Man, that reminds me of the original iPhone not having enough apps to even fill up the home screen, and no App Store yet.

SeanR1221

Question about iCloud drive. Right now I have some shared document folders on my MacBook and iMac so I can swap Word documents beaten the two computers.

iCloud drive would allow me to just throw it all in the cloud and access it anywhere right? And if yes, here's my follow up question.

Could I make it so whenever the folder is updated on my MacBook it updates on iCloud drive automatically?

It would make things a lot easier.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Wait wait wait... "Hey Siri" only works when your phone is charging?! WHAT?!

That's my absolutely number one most requested feature from Android - and more specifically, the Moto X - and I was thrilled to hear it's coming to iPhone. But only when charging? Worthless.

75% of my Siri use comes when I'm cooking: "Set a timer," or "how many cups are in X" and so on, so forth. Damn.

HUELEN10

That's my absolutely number one most requested feature from Android - and more specifically, the Moto X - and I was thrilled to hear it's coming to iPhone. But only when charging? Worthless.
We knew this from the start though, and it was done mostly to help shit driving-side anyways. If you have a battery case for your device though, it should work whenever, right?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
We knew this from the start though, and it was done mostly to help shit driving-side anyways. If you have a battery case for it though, it should work whenever, right?

I guess I didn't catch that tidbit. My enthusiasm just plummeted. Dang.

Eh, 'tis life. I don't use Siri in my car when it's plugged in, cause my car's BT thinks it's a phone call and it turns into a disaster, lol.

On another note: I don't understand the hate of the Apple Keyboard. I guarantee I can type faster on it than 90% of people, regardless of phone.

DarkFlow

Banned
I guess I didn't catch that tidbit. My enthusiasm just plummeted. Dang.

Eh, 'tis life. I don't use Siri in my car when it's plugged in, cause my car's BT thinks it's a phone call and it turns into a disaster, lol.

On another note: I don't understand the hate of the Apple Keyboard. I guarantee I can type faster on it than 90% of people, regardless of phone.
I bet a avg swipe user would blow you away.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wasn't this for a super brief period many years ago and not for more than a gen or two?

I mean.. I know they're free, but everybody
knows these OS updates are free and have been free for a long ass time. That's sort of where I understand someone saying OP is a bit advertise-y.

Enco

Hey Siri working only when connected kinda sucks but I value good battery life over it.

One thing that is ridiculous with iOS 8 is the new delete feature in Mail.

Deleting email is stupidly easy. I had to enable archiving because it's so dumb. And undoing it by shaking my phone isn't an appropriate fix. It's straight up bad design.

I cannot wait for this

Have there been any interesting widgets / extensions out in the last few months? Or only the ones covered on WWDC?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Why can't a company as big as Apple create a low power chip like Motorola did for always listening functionality? Boggles my mind.

Firebrand

iCloud Drive seems like the most interesting feature to me. I've preferred Android devices mainly because the access to the file system. Is there any indication you'll be able to do this even without the Cloud connectivity, e.g. use an SMB/FTP/etc app to copy files over local network and access them from other apps?

Social

So far it's been giving me and me wife a very poor experience riddled with bugs and sluggish overall performance.

It was compiled on August 20 so that explains why this GM is so bad. We will get a day one update for sure because this is not up to the standards for a company like Apple.

Expect iOS 8.0.1 or sonething close soon.

Somnid

iCloud Drive seems like the most interesting feature to me. I've preferred Android devices mainly because the access to the file system. Is there any indication you'll be able to do this even without the Cloud connectivity, e.g. use an SMB/FTP/etc app to copy files over local network and access them from other apps?

Sort of. An extension app can share files/information with other apps which will largely be used the same way. If you're familiar with Windows 8 share charm, it's the same thing.

How does it run on a 4S? i hope not like iOS7 on the 4.
Is iOS7 still ass on a iPhone 4? Was planning to update my wife's 4 to it before it becomes trickier to update it, or is that even a concern? Will iOS7 still be available for older devices after iOS8 releases?

FerranMG

Is iOS7 still ass on a iPhone 4? Was planning to update my wife's 4 to it before it becomes trickier to update it, or is that even a concern? Will iOS7 still be available for older devices after iOS8 releases?

The last time I used 7.1 on an iPhone 4 it run just fine.
Definitely not as bad as 7.0.
I'd upgrade.

There shouldn't be any problem to update after iOS 8 hits.

I asked this in the WWDC thread but got no bites, figure I'll try here too. Anyone on iOS 8 GM have the paid Funimation app? Does it open? Mine won't but I had some difficulty restoring from iCloud so I'm trying to figure out if it's the OS or a botched restore.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Health app rules with M7. I use the M7 chip for tracking steps, most of the times. The step tracking data is so rich it actually keeps track of individual strides, so I know how many steps I took in a row when I go out for a walk, and not just in total for the day. I just keep the Steps graph in the dashboard, and it already makes the app very useful for me.
So excited for this when I get my 6+ on Friday. I loved tracking my steps on my 3DS when that was in it's honeymoon phase. But that was obviously the wrong device for that function to be on.

Top Bottom