• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Majine

Banned
I just wish they would redo the notifications system. I hate having multiple iOS devices in this regard because I'm constantly having to deal with notifications that I've already dealt with elsewhere. They are desyncing notifications for Facetime but that seems to be it. Expand that to all apps!

So 7 really made my iPad 3rd generation more sluggish than it was before. Should I bother with 8 on the iPad 3rd generation? Will it run worse or better than 7 on the iPad 3rd generation?

Probably as well as a PC from 2011 running win8. These kinds of questions always make me chuckle.

Actually, 8 runs great on older hardware since it was designed for lower power tablets. 8.1, even lowered the ram requirements.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Probably as well as a PC from 2011 running win8. These kinds of questions always make me chuckle.
They shouldn't. It's a good question. Certain iOS releases have killed old iPhones. I think an iPhone 3G running iOS4 was as good as junk.

iPhone 4 running iOS7 was no picnic either... But with 7.1 it became pretty good.

Not the same. Apple controls which devices are allowed to run it and one would hope they wouldn't allow a poor experience as a result. That said they tend to allow upgrades on devices that shouldn't get them because of poor performance. They also don't let you downgrade.

BocoDragon

Actually, 8 runs great on older hardware since it was designed for lower power tablets. 8.1, even lowered the ram requirements.
Yeah I'm wondering if he's saying "of course it won't run" or "of course it will".

He's kind of making the opposite to the point he wanted to make, which is that actually, it's a damn good question whether the new OS runs on older hardware.

LeleSocho

Banned
What kind of response is this? Not only mine is a legitimate question but you have also shown everyone how ignorant you are because 2011 PCs run beautifully with win8, look at all the people still having their gaming rigs with Sandy Bridge on it with plenty of power to spare.

Try to be less of an asshole next time.

BocoDragon

What kind of response is this? Not only mine is a legitimate question but you have also shown everyone how ignorant you are because 2011 PCs run beautifully with win8, look at all the people still having their gaming rigs with Sandy Bridge on it with plenty of power to spare.

My 2008 PC runs Win 8 wonderfully. I bet you could go a lot older than that!

burgerdog

iOS 8 makes photos in general convoluted now that you really can't tell what is Camera Roll and what is iCloud/photostream.

I can't even share those pictures now, only my "recently added" album is there and that has about 20 pictures. My main album had thousands and that's all inaccessible apparently.

S¡mon

Banned
For those interested, these are my experiences with iOS 8 (GM) on iPhone 5:

User Interface
- User Interface feels slightly snappier (animations appear to go slightly faster, double click to multitasking is way faster)
- Control Center is better organized
- Settings app has been reorganized a bit, so some toggles have changed places
- In the multitasking window, at the top, it shows your favorite and recently dialed contacts - you can disable this if you don't like it. It's pretty neat if you have saved a picture in your contacts, but otherwise, it looks pretty dull showing the first letter of your contact's surname and name
- Predictive typing, or QuickType as Apple calls it, works pretty well. It's not available in my native language yet (Dutch), but, as I said, it works pretty well in English - that said, I feel it is a little too big in height.
- Changes in mail are neat (swipe to the left to delete, mark or do "more" actions)
- Messages app look okay, but I'll admit: I barely use this, as I - and basically everyone here in this country - uses WhatsApp instead of SMS/regular text messaging.

Health
- Health App is still pretty useless as I don't have any apps connected to the health app
- Medicine ID is a nice thing to have (Medicine ID is something that is accessible from the emergency screen [for calling 911] - it contains all the data you might want to share, such as your weight, length, blood type, emergency contact, your age, your name, if you're a blood donor, allergies, etc.

iCloud
- iCloud Drive is now used to store an app's documents/data
- As far as I have seen, there is no actual "iCloud Drive" app where you can access (and upload) all types of files (like Dropbox or Google Drive)
- iCloud Drive isn't yet available on Windows, I assume it will be later this week when iOS 8 is officially released
- iCloud Photo Library isn't yet available (it allows you to store all your photos in iCloud, instead locally, and basically stream them to your device as needed). I looked forward to this, but I heard it was not yet 100% reliable in the earlier iOS 8 betas and together with the recent leaks of celebrity photos, it has been delayed to October
- iCloud storage is much cheaper. 5 GB will probably enough for most people, like it is enough for most people today, but if you plan on using iCloud Photo Library or iCloud Drive, than it is best to upgrade. For a few bucks a month, you get 200 GB of storage - which should be plenty, for me, I think.

Camera
- There's a timer mode, which is nice to have
- When you tap-to-focus, you can also set the exposure (so when it is dark, for example, you can 'boost' the image a bit (in real time) to see more)
- If you delete a photo, it is still in an album called "Recently Deleted" - photos will than automatically be deleted within 30 days (or sooner, if you want to - or restored back, if you want to).

And that's it, really. All I can think of 1-2-3.

:)

MercuryLS

Banned
I can't wait for the final Mavericks and iOS8 to get pushed to my devices. Being able to text and make calls from my mac is going to be fucking amazing.

Terrell

Photo Library isn't part of iOS 8.0, but will likely be in a later update:
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/12/apple-demotes-icloud-photo-library-beta/

It's not going to be in Yosemite at launch either.

I kinda expect it in iOS 8.2.

The delay seems very deliberately done to line it up with the Mac OS X Photos app. Because I'll tell you, iPhoto with iOS 7/8 has been supreme garbage, and the recent changes haven't made the experience any better. With the Photos app being wired specifically to play nice with iCloud, I think that will resolve a bunch of problems for users. How they'll handle Windows users, as always, is up in the air.

I can't even share those pictures now, only my "recently added" album is there and that has about 20 pictures. My main album had thousands and that's all inaccessible apparently.

If you're like me, they're likely hidden in the "Moments" section, which other apps can't access. So still there, just nebulously unavailable in other apps.

DOWN

Banned

My MacBook 2011 is pretty happy with Yosemite Beta. Not sure what that means, though. I don't know how much of a jump Windows 8 is vs OS X Snow Leopard jumping to now.

lexi

Banned
- As far as I have seen, there is no actual "iCloud Drive" app where you can access (and upload) all types of files (like Dropbox or Google Drive)

It was my impression that this will be the case, but I haven't seen any sign of it in the GM yet.

Chill peeps. Just because older hardware runs an OS doesn't mean it runs as well as current hardware. Your 4S will run it fine bro. Jeez.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It was my impression that this will be the case, but I haven't seen any sign of it in the GM yet.
Yeah. I haven't heard anything about Apple even planning on putting a browser on iOS for this which sucks. It's literally the reason I paid $10 to DropBox last night for 1TB of storage. 99% of which I won't ever use. I'm paying monthly for now in case that changes. I'd love to just use iCloud Drive, but unless it works exactly like DropBox, I'll just stick with DB and use iCloud for backups and photos when iCloud Photo Library is released. That way I can cancel it and switch if I want to. I just wish DB would offer a cheaper plan. Either you get a shitty 2GB free, which can be bumped up to about 5GB by jumping through various hoops, or you pay $10/mo or $100/yr for 1TB of space which most people won't ever use. (I don't even have that much stuff I'd want with me at all times. All I want to sync is image files and text documents. Videos would be useless and I already have an app for that.)

Maybe a third party would be able to release one. It depends on how much access Apple will allow to the non-App-sandbox parts of the drive. Probably none. So unless Apple releases one, we're SOL probably.

lexi

Banned
Yeah. I haven't heard anything about Apple even planning on putting a browser on iOS for this which sucks. It's literally the reason I paid $10 to DropBox last night for 1TB of storage. 99% of which I won't ever use. I'm paying monthly for now in case that changes. I'd love to just use iCloud Drive, but unless it works exactly like DropBox, I'll just stick with DB and use iCloud for backups and photos when iCloud Photo Library is released. That way I can cancel it and switch if I want to. I just wish DB would offer a cheaper plan. Either you get a shitty 2GB free, which can be bumped up to about 5GB by jumping through various hoops, or you pay $10/mo or $100/yr for 1TB of space which most people won't ever use. (I don't even have that much stuff I'd want with me at all times. All I want to sync is image files and text documents. Videos would be useless and I already have an app for that.)

Maybe a third party would be able to release one. It depends on how much access Apple will allow to the non-App-sandbox parts of the drive. Probably none. So unless Apple releases one, we're SOL probably.

It looks like it is coming.

Edit: Or am I looking at it wrong. Perhaps that's just a save dialog. :/

T3FcrMf.jpg

http://www.apple.com/icloud/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It looks like it is coming.

T3FcrMf.jpg

http://www.apple.com/icloud/
I was wondering about that, but I don't think it's a stand-alone app. To me it looks more like a browser panel that you can get in other apps. Like that looks like Pages on the iPad. But on second look it doesn't look like Pages itself, so I really really hope I'm wrong.

Though iCloud Drive would have to have other features DropBox has too in order for me to consider it completely. Mainly the ability to choose what folders to sync on each Mac, and more importantly, the ability to use symlinks in the iCloud Drive folder and have it act like that folder is actually inside the iCloud folder so I don't have to actually move my synced folders. And lastly, let me put the iCloud Drive in my Dock like a normal folder. Come on!

Hopefully Apple is set on basically copying the crap out of DropBox completely.

Enco

wow ok I guess my iPhone 4 is obsolete now thanks apple. How long until all the apps I use require iOS 8?
I don't get this attitude.

Do people honestly believe a phone that's several years old will always remain up to date with latest tech?

It just doesn't make any sense. Should be happy it has received updates this long.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Has the inability to see all-day events on the Calendar in the notifications center been fixed on iOS8? That has been the most annoying thing in 7...

giga

The delay seems very deliberately done to line it up with the Mac OS X Photos app. Because I'll tell you, iPhoto with iOS 7/8 has been supreme garbage, and the recent changes haven't made the experience any better. With the Photos app being wired specifically to play nice with iCloud, I think that will resolve a bunch of problems for users. How they'll handle Windows users, as always, is up in the air.

If you're like me, they're likely hidden in the "Moments" section, which other apps can't access. So still there, just nebulously unavailable in other apps.
They can access moments and collections. They need to be updated to use the new photokit framework. See: tweetbot.

Enco

Some small things I've noticed:

- Private browsing opens in a new environment. It separate from your normal tabs so you wont be asked if you want to close everything you have open. Very cool
- In an email, I saw the contact details of someone and it asked me if I wanted to add them to my contacts
- Swiping to mark as read in mail saves so much time
- In the spotlight settings, if you try to move the last item in the list, you get an instant crash
- Wifi randomly disconnects...

Enco

Swipe email to delete is the best feature of iOS8 :D
:lol I just made a post about how I hate that particular feature.

Way too easy to delete things now. I disabled it and enabled archiving instead. Would much rather they prevent you from deleting if you swipe too quickly.

:lol I just made a post about how I hate that particular feature.

Way too easy to delete things now. I disabled it and enabled archiving instead. Would much rather they prevent you from deleting if you swipe too quickly.

It's still in the trash if you make a mistake...

Enco

It's still in the trash if you make a mistake...
True but it's still a hassle and I actually deleted an email from the trash by accident too.

Pretty silly on my behalf but not having a sort of confirmation to delete and missing the mark by moving your finger a few mm extra is dumb.

Top Bottom