• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

Vyer

I've only seen the screens but I never felt Pocket Casts looks all that good.

Downcast is universal, so that's a plus.

FerranMG

I think you have to manually rename your previous Gmail labels to be in this format:

[Mailbox]/XXX

It's rather unsightly in web browsers but within Mailbox, it should create a label on the left menu as well as in the popup menu.

Thanks.
I sent them an e-mail and they argued that their search engine is good enough so that I won't need the old Gmail labels anymore.
Still, I need a way to classify some of my e-mails, both when using Mailbox and when using any other client. Moving the labels into the Mailbox folder helped, since I can use them now from Mailbox itself, but I'd still rather have full labels functionality.
They told me they'd look into it.

X-Frame

Does anyone have Groove 2 for iPhone/iPad?

It has great reviews and the UI looks fantastic, so I bought it and I like it a lot. It could replace my stock music app, though the only thing it seems to be lacking is rating songs which I like to do.

pocketcast looks and feels great. Biggest problem is it's a bit inconsistent with getting new podcasts right away when they go up on rss.

Anyone try out the new hip weather app Haze?

Pachimari

So SRI's Tempo app is in high demand and they're now doing the same queue stuff as Mailbox, which I dislike, as I have now been waiting on Mailbox for a week soon(!) and I'm still #590.000-something.

Anyway, where did the Tempo app go? Can't find it in the App Store.

I just got into downloading podcasts, and it seems that I need app to do this.
The app made by Apple has terrible reviews, so are there any free apps that will allow me to download podcasts?

Thanks.

bonesquad

Does anyone have Groove 2 for iPhone/iPad?

It has great reviews and the UI looks fantastic, so I bought it and I like it a lot. It could replace my stock music app, though the only thing it seems to be lacking is rating songs which I like to do.

Groove 2 is nice. I never know what to listen to of the 15GB of music I keep on my phone, and so its curated playlists are appreciated.

Thanks.
I sent them an e-mail and they argued that their search engine is good enough so that I won't need the old Gmail labels anymore.
Still, I need a way to classify some of my e-mails, both when using Mailbox and when using any other client. Moving the labels into the Mailbox folder helped, since I can use them now from Mailbox itself, but I'd still rather have full labels functionality.
They told me they'd look into it.

What? That makes no sense. I use labels to know how I need to followup on an email, how do I create a search for that? Well, I'll still try Mailbox when my turn comes, but it sounds like I'll be sticking with Sparrow for now.

$2?
Hmm this makes it easier to buy.

I've used the Apple app, Instacast, Podcaster, and Downcast. Downcast is the one I by far have liked the most, and the $2 gets you a universal app so you can use it on iPad if you have one. You can sync your subscriptions between the 2 also.

I don't know if it's just me, but the latest official Twitter update broke push notifications. I haven't gotten a single notification for an interaction since it updated. Is there something I can do about this/another app I should be using instead? Thanks

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I don't know if it's just me, but the latest official Twitter update broke push notifications. I haven't gotten a single notification for an interaction since it updated. Is there something I can do about this/another app I should be using instead? Thanks

I had to uninstall and reinstall it to get this to work again.

So I'm looking for Google Reader apps for my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook. I thought I was set on buying Reeder for all 3, but after some research, it sounds like Mr. Reeder is the better iPad app. So I'm thinking Reeder for iPhone and Mac, and Mr. Reeder for iPad. I assume all of the apps would sync what articles I've read since they are using the same Google Reader account to pull info from. Is that correct?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I can't believe this far into the game, I have never found an app that lets me easily upload a photo, resize it, and post to places like GAF. I know that every photo hosting service has an app, but I've never found one that made it easy. Has anyone figured this out?

Pachimari

I can't believe this far into the game, I have never found an app that lets me easily upload a photo, resize it, and post to places like GAF. I know that every photo hosting service has an app, but I've never found one that made it easy. Has anyone figured this out?

The Imgupr app is easy.

I still use photobucket. I go into settings and select my upload quality before uploading said pic.

Everything's organized into the folders I want them in so it's all good.

So finally got through into Mailbox. Sweet, this beats the default Gmail app to the punch except for the fact that my existing labels don't show up, and pdfs aren't viewable in the emails. What gives? Anybody with some insight?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
So finally got through into Mailbox. Sweet, this beats the default Gmail app to the punch except for the fact that my existing labels don't show up, and pdfs aren't viewable in the emails. What gives? Anybody with some insight?

Insight as to why neither are currently supported?

bonesquad

Being able to ''sleep' an email is great, but Mailbox's lack of tag or star support is odd. They came up with their own way of organizing email despite Gmail having a lot of built in support already. Why create lists when tags can do that (and more)?

I'm sticking with Sparrow which I like a lot more, and using the Gmail app as the way I get notifications. Not ideal, but it works for me.

Edit: Just found another reason I like my Sparrow/Gmail combo better. If someone updates a meeting request I don't get a notification for that from Mailbox.

Being able to ''sleep' an email is great, but Mailbox's lack of tag or star support is odd. They came up with their own way of organizing email despite Gmail having a lot of built in support already. Why create lists when tags can do that (and more)?

I'm sticking with Sparrow which I like a lot more, and using the Gmail app as the way I get notifications. Not ideal, but it works for me.

Edit: Just found another reason I like my Sparrow/Gmail combo better. If someone updates a meeting request I don't get a notification for that from Mailbox.

I used Mailbox for a morning and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth taking the time to learn why it was supposed to be better. 'Sleeping' emails is nice, but I just know I would end up confusing the royal fuck out of myself eventually. The GMail app is just much more intuitive and useful (in the right ways).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I like Flipboard but the ads are getting a little too much for me. Which alternative is the closest visual match to Flipboard minus ads? Alternatively--I have a jailbroken iPad; any tweaks to block the interstitial ads in Flipboard?

Talon

I like Flipboard but the ads are getting a little too much for me. Which alternative is the closest visual match to Flipboard minus ads? Alternatively--I have a jailbroken iPad; any tweaks to block the interstitial ads in Flipboard?
If you're talking about the content ads, those are being pushed by the publisher (Wired, Atlantic, etc.).

That's sort of how Flipboard is able to get these big names without getting blocked off, so I don't think there's a way to get past them. I noticed the Conde Nast magazines tend to be more brazen with them than Hearst.

Mr. Hyde

Does anyone have an unused code for Starbucks' pick of the week: Brian Cox's Wonders of the universe? I noticed it was the pick of last week. I am going to check a Starbucks tomorrow to hope they still have it but otherwise, my fate is in your hands. Thanks, if you do.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If you're talking about the content ads, those are being pushed by the publisher (Wired, Atlantic, etc.).

That's sort of how Flipboard is able to get these big names without getting blocked off, so I don't think there's a way to get past them. I noticed the Conde Nast magazines tend to be more brazen with them than Hearst.

Good to know. Are there alternate feeds I can add to avoid them?

Talon

Good to know. Are there alternate feeds I can add to avoid them?
I mean, honestly, I don't think they're that intrusive if you think of Flipboard as actually a magazine. You go through a story in a magazine, you're seeing an ad every two or three pages.

I just flipped through a 35 page Atlantic story, and I only got one ad on page 8. Seems less intrusive to me than a paper magazine, especially since it's a story I enjoyed.

But, in general, I find the website sources tend not to have ads at all.

Anyone elses chrome crashing since the new update? Reinstalling does nothing for me :/

Yeah, I uninstalled and reinstalled and that seemed to fix it, although now it seems to identify my phone differently than it previously did. It shows the windows I had open when I updated under the 'other devices' tab when I'm using it from the phone

Quick

Banned
Is it just me, or is tapping the status bar to scroll to the top of the page on the iPhone version of Chrome not working?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Here's something I would like to see.

Syncing tabs between devices is awesome and I use it all the time. But here's a feature I'd like to see Google implement..

Google has apps on all devices. Including YouTube and a Google Search app. I wish they would make it so you can open the tabs/videos in those apps in Chrome from the Other Devices list. Say you have a video open in the YouTube app on your iPad and want to open it on your desktop or on your iPhone or even in Chrome on the iPad for some reason. Or you have a search open in the Search app. Easy peasy, George and Wheezy. Conversely if you have YouTube tabs open in Chrome, you should be able to view them in the YouTube app.

Also, there should be an option to remotely close the tabs on the other devices when you open them on the new one. I find myself opening tabs throughout the day on my iPhone only to get home to my computer, open them all in Chrome and then have to close them all on my iPhone. So it'd be nice if I could remotely close the tabs once they've been pulled over.

Then there should be a way to send tabs to other computers and not just other devices. There's "Chrome to Phone" but that only works to a phone or tablet. Why not another computer? It makes no sense that it's a restriction. Plus it means I could have a browser set specifically for storing tabs (And their history) for later if I could send them then bring them back on a whim.

These three features would be awesome for my tab management.

So, how's Apple Maps nowadays. I've been using Google Maps but I'd rather use the stock app due to its integration into iOS, but if its still shoddy than I'll stick with Google Maps until that's all sorted.

Here's something I would like to see.

Syncing tabs between devices is awesome and I use it all the time. But here's a feature I'd like to see Google implement..

Google has apps on all devices. Including YouTube and a Google Search app. I wish they would make it so you can open the tabs/videos in those apps in Chrome from the Other Devices list. Say you have a video open in the YouTube app on your iPad and want to open it on your desktop or on your iPhone or even in Chrome on the iPad for some reason. Or you have a search open in the Search app. Easy peasy, George and Wheezy. Conversely if you have YouTube tabs open in Chrome, you should be able to view them in the YouTube app.

Also, there should be an option to remotely close the tabs on the other devices when you open them on the new one. I find myself opening tabs throughout the day on my iPhone only to get home to my computer, open them all in Chrome and then have to close them all on my iPhone. So it'd be nice if I could remotely close the tabs once they've been pulled over.

Then there should be a way to send tabs to other computers and not just other devices. There's "Chrome to Phone" but that only works to a phone or tablet. Why not another computer? It makes no sense that it's a restriction. Plus it means I could have a browser set specifically for storing tabs (And their history) for later if I could send them then bring them back on a whim.

These three features would be awesome for my tab management.

Jup. I would be severely disappointed if there won't be some unified syncing service for multiple devices.

Sarye

So, how's Apple Maps nowadays. I've been using Google Maps but I'd rather use the stock app due to its integration into iOS, but if its still shoddy than I'll stick with Google Maps until that's all sorted.
I used to be a huge proponent of Apple Maps as it works as long as you put in a real address, but it then steered me wrong many many times with common Points of Interests that I just gave up and went back to google maps.

And that's the thing.. when it gets it wrong, it gets it really wrong. At least with google it is close to the area. I still don't understand how it can steer me 15 minutes away from Ikea to some ghetto neighborhood (literally)

If you happen to be jailbroken, there's a tweak that will automatically open up google maps instead of apple maps. Doesn't answer your question, but throwing it out there anyway.

VoxPop

Just jailbreak and use MapsOpener tweak to make Google Maps your default maps app with full integration with iOS

I've been using Awesome Note lately and it is simply that, awesome. Love the fact you can draw and add multiple pictures, have a variety of different kinds of notes, theming, the fluidity, the gestures, and passcode locking. It's a hefty $4 but its worth it imo if you do a lot of note taking/planning throughout your day.

Talon

I used to be a huge proponent of Apple Maps as it works as long as you put in a real address, but it then steered me wrong many many times with common Points of Interests that I just gave up and went back to google maps.

And that's the thing.. when it gets it wrong, it gets it really wrong. At least with google it is close to the area. I still don't understand how it can steer me 15 minutes away from Ikea to some ghetto neighborhood (literally)
And I had the same problem the opposite way with my Uncle's home address. Google had me driving in circles towards a road that didn't exist, whereas Apple took me right there. This was just a suburban area in Atlanta.

I use both intermittently right now - more Google when I'm in Chicago, more Apple when I'm in Michigan.

Sarye

And I had the same problem the opposite way with my Uncle's home address. Google had me driving in circles towards a road that didn't exist, whereas Apple took me right there. This was just a suburban area in Atlanta.

I use both intermittently right now - more Google when I'm in Chicago, more Apple when I'm in Michigan.
Oh Google maps is not perfect no doubt. Google tends to try and get me do illegal things like left turns when they don't exist. I just find on average, google maps is better for navigation and if it's wrong, it's at least close to your destination.

dorkimoe

Zite

Love zite

Im getting sick of facebook on ios, the fucking ads in the middle of your feed are brutal

Top Bottom