• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

mrkgoo

I think the changes look flat, uninspired, and colorless. Color-sidebar-fanatics should be having a hissy fit whenever iveOS finally gets released.

Oh well, it works and hopefully this update finally will make my podcasts sync up.

Eh after playing for a bit, I like the olde version more. I liked the tape deck.

Sync was an issue but not insurmountable. Something that bigs me about this new update is that it puts badges for your unplaced episodes. I'm a bit of a stickler for clearing badges, so it bugs me somewhat. Wish I could turn them off. Maybe it's in notifications?

Edit: praise be! It's in notifications. Badges be gone!

giga

Eh after playing for a bit, I like the olde version more. I liked the tape deck.

Sync was an issue but not insurmountable. Something that bigs me about this new update is that it puts badges for your unplaced episodes. I'm a bit of a stickler for clearing badges, so it bugs me somewhat. Wish I could turn them off. Maybe it's in notifications?
Badges have always been removable in notification settings.

mrkgoo

Badges have always been removable in notification settings.

I've never really had notification centre on my phone before. Before my iPhone 5 I had an iPhone 3G!

And it's new for podcasts. Being in notification centre doesn't imply that it has push notifications, right? I may as well just ten off podcast app notifications entirely I think.

giga

Neat app from one of the Kickoff devs. It finds new and upcoming albums based on your music library.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/new-albums-recent-albums-by/id615781107?ls=1&mt=8

mzl.oaxkzjkk.320x480-75.jpg

I've never really had notification centre on my phone before. Before my iPhone 5 I had an iPhone 3G!

And it's new for podcasts. Being in notification centre doesn't imply that it has push notifications, right? I may as well just ten off podcast app notifications entirely I think.
Notifications can be local as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Comic Books.

I'm using ComicFlow because it's the only one that has the interface I like. Unfortunately, they seem to have disabled WebDAV access with an update some time ago, they now use an easy-to-use internal web server to receive uploads. That's all well and good, except you can only upload 50 comics via the web server, any more and you need to pay $5.

I have no problem using iTunes to sync, I don't need the web server, but I can't categorize things by series using iTunes, so basically I'd have to pay and use the web server upload just to get series functionality :/

So, uh, that bites.

I'm looking for a free comic reader that's an exact clone of ComicFlow, except without the business model. Any options?

Edit: Okay, well, I just SSH'd into my iPad and did my file management that way.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I need help finding an iPad app. I am in grad school, and bought the iPad for taking notes. I have been using Notability because I liked the option of drawing directly onto the same document where I am typing my notes, but I have sort of soured on it. This is my targeted workflow:
  • Type notes into a Google Doc
  • If I need to draw a diagram, flowchart, etc. I get the iPad out and draw in the mystery app
  • The image I just drew gets exported into my Google Drive account (ideally, after allowing me to crop it
  • On the original Google Doc, I can paste in the image that I just uploaded to Google Drive

So ultimately, I just need a basic sketching app that lets me export my sketches to Google Drive. Can anyone recommend such an animal?

so I got myself a macbook air and need a game like sim city.

is there anything like that available ?

I cant seem to find sim city for macbook..

Anson225

i've been using Reeder for iPhone for awhile and am really loving it. now both the Mac and iPad versions are free - anyone who haven't tried it yet should give it a go!

Maximus.

so I got myself a macbook air and need a game like sim city.

is there anything like that available ?

I cant seem to find sim city for macbook..

Sim city is eventually coming to the Mac. But as stated before this isn't a game or Mac thread, better to post in the appropriate threads to get the right answers.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Anyone using a computer - ipad streaming program besides Air Video Server? It works pretty well and is free but for some reason it's pretty picky about which videos it wants to load subtitles for.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Comic Books.

I'm using ComicFlow because it's the only one that has the interface I like. Unfortunately, they seem to have disabled WebDAV access with an update some time ago, they now use an easy-to-use internal web server to receive uploads. That's all well and good, except you can only upload 50 comics via the web server, any more and you need to pay $5.

I have no problem using iTunes to sync, I don't need the web server, but I can't categorize things by series using iTunes, so basically I'd have to pay and use the web server upload just to get series functionality :/

So, uh, that bites.

I'm looking for a free comic reader that's an exact clone of ComicFlow, except without the business model. Any options?

Edit: Okay, well, I just SSH'd into my iPad and did my file management that way.
I don't know about what you need specifically that's in ComicFlow, but try ComicBookLover. It has a ton of sync options. I've never had a problem with the UI myself and actually think it's quite nifty where you can just tap to turn pages, etc.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Chrome updated, still no pull to refresh lol. Insane. The YouTube app has pull to refresh on the -search results- screen. Completely pointless.

I'd advice against updating the Chrome app right now for iPhone. I'm not happy with what they've done to it. Full-screen is nice to have but the way it works right now is too janky, it does not work like it does in Safari.

For one thing it does not toggle on or off, it is always fullscreen now. Sometimes it works like safari in that you have to scroll all the way to the top of the screen in order to access your back-button, tabs, and other devices (which means loosing your place on the webpage). Most of the time it will appear when you scroll upwards at any point on the webpage. It's inconsistent. But worse it lacks elegance, something that Google was finally getting good at.

I was completely happy with the app before this update. Everything I wanted was displayed at the top of the screen at all times. Now if i want to access my other devices I have to scroll up, then tap a button, then tap other devices. A simple action now requires an extra step, whether you want it or not.

soldat7

I'd advice against updating the Chrome app right now for iPhone. I'm not happy with what they've done to it. Full-screen is nice to have but the way it works right now is too janky, it does not work like it does in Safari.

For one thing it does not toggle on or off, it is always fullscreen now. Sometimes it works like safari in that you have to scroll all the way to the top of the screen in order to access your back-button, tabs, and other devices (which means loosing your place on the webpage). Most of the time it will appear when you scroll upwards at any point on the webpage. It's inconsistent. But worse it lacks elegance, something that Google was finally getting good at.

I was completely happy with the app before this update. Everything I wanted was displayed at the top of the screen at all times. Now if i want to access my other devices I have to scroll up, then tap a button, then tap other devices. A simple action now requires an extra step, whether you want it or not.

And no full screen on iPad either. Huge oversight.

I'd advice against updating the Chrome app right now for iPhone...

Wish I'd seen this before I updated Chrome, it's shit for iPad as well, ugh. It always used to display the desktop version of NeoGAF, but now it will always default to the mobile one, and if I tell it to request the desktop version it just pulls the mobile one again for any thread I click on, and for any future time I visit. I can't see any setting to make it stop doing this, so I guess I'm going to find another browser to use.

Charlatan

Neo Member
whats your go to financing app to manage the moneys?

I use Mint to keep an eye on my money. I find it useful. You set it up through their browser interface, give it your account info and passwords for any banking, credit card, loans, and investment accounts and then it pulls the info down. It lets you assign spending to categories, lets you establish a budget and track your purchases. Mint differs from something like Quicken because Mint doesn't have any bill pay type of functionality (and to be honest, I have no idea if there's a mobile Quicken that lets you do this, I'm thinking more of the PC experience for that feature). It automatically downloads transactions and updates balances.

One nice feature is that you can tell Mint to ignore certain accounts for budgeting purposes - for instance, I have a credit card that is used exclusively by my wife for her business. I added that to Mint (since we have 2 CCs with that company) but I told Mint do ignore the business CC. So the transactions come down and it categorizes them, but it doesn't add her purchases to the budget. So when she buys costumes or scripts (she runs a theatre company) I don't have Mint telling me "you've spent a lot of money on costumes recently!"

Mint is owned by Intuit, the guys who make Quicken, so you don't have to worry about giving your passwords to a shady company.

There's no advertising, but they frequently give "advice" about good financial deals (they say stuff like "hey, you paid high interest in your credit card, click here to find some good interest rate deals"). The advice is pretty unobtrusive and you can delete the suggestions so it's easy to manage.

The thing about Mint is that it doesn't do a whole lot, but what it does, it does well. I find it presents info in a clean, minimal fashion. My money management has really improved since I started using it. The one quirk about it is that the interface differs between iPhone, iPad, and web, so each one looks and feels different. Once you get used to the different presentation of info, though, it's easy to use.

Wish I'd seen this before I updated Chrome, it's shit for iPad as well, ugh. It always used to display the desktop version of NeoGAF, but now it will always default to the mobile one, and if I tell it to request the desktop version it just pulls the mobile one again for any thread I click on, and for any future time I visit. I can't see any setting to make it stop doing this, so I guess I'm going to find another browser to use.

I'm not having that issue on the iPhone (thankfully), hopefully it's cleared up soon.

I'm understanding a bit more of what they are going for with the disappearing bar, but I still would prefer some kind of toggle.

whats your go to financing app to manage the moneys?

Mint

I use it religiously.

I think that the "reporting" functionality of it is absolutely atrocious though. Basic statistics like monthly averages by category are non existent. But, it keeps my monthly categories online and is a good way to track net worth and assets as well as monthly expenditure

bonesquad

On the front page of GAF, with the list of available forums, scroll to the bottom and tap Disable mobile GAF. Problem solved.

luca1980

Banned
Aside flipboard which are the best twitter, Facebook and others aggregators app?
Especially for things like writing one thing once and for both or for seeing both at the same time?

Majine

Banned
Aside flipboard which are the best twitter, Facebook and others aggregators app?
Especially for things like writing one thing once and for both or for seeing both at the same time?

I don't know for seeing both at the same time, but you can hook your twitter up to Facebook so when you tweet anywhere, it goes up on Facebook too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm pretty sure I remember reading that very soon, FB is going to encourage hashtags through functionality themselves!

Not because of users, because TV and real-world advertisers use hashtags to aggregate buzz around their products, leaving corporate-owned Facebook pages in the cold.

FerranMG

I've seen today that my Whatsapp weights like 180 MB, I guesa because of all the videos and pictures I've received.
Do you know how can I delete all this stores media?

got a ipad mini... so what are some of the must have ipad apps that I don't already have on iphone?

Also, icloud is iffy at best, but is there any solution, jailbreak or otherwise that allows me to move 'save files' between devices easily?

bonesquad

Downcast is on sale for a dollar. No-brainer if you listen to podcasts at all.

With the most recent update to Apple's Podcast app (that got rid of that aweful tape deck interface) is there anything that Downcast brings to the table that Podcast doesn't? Especially since Podcast can notify me of new podcasts which I don't think Downcast does.

FerranMG

This Freeware is great for that:
http://www.imobie.com/phoneclean/

Tried that, and managed to reclaim maybe 10 MB (out of 180). :/

Also, I found how to delete the media stored from inside Whatsapp. From a chat window, I opened an image somebody sent me, and from there I could see all the pictures and videos Whatsapp was storing for me.
I deleted them all, and cleared about 40 or 50 MB of space.

My Whatsapp still weights about 120 or 130 MB, so if anybody has any other ideas about what do to, it would be appreciated.

Top Bottom