• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

I downloaded it, but what does 1password offer over iCloud's features. It looks like they do the same thing?

The password features are pretty similar. 1Password lets you keep all of your banks account info, credit card info, software licenses, and and notes you want to keep private behind a password protected vault which is handy because it's all stored in one spot and is protected by Touch ID if you have a 5s or newer.

Heel

Longform has updated to 2.0 and has gone free. I don't know if it's for a limited time or permanent. Seems to be a nice little app that curates long-form articles and lets you create feeds for specific writers, etc.

http://longform.org/app/

giga

Pcalc <3

IqaAKXz.png

What does that have to do with "Today"? Ugh.

Why are obnoxious photo-based widgets getting approved?

Why does Apple think it's a good idea to allow people to flood the app store with "Emoticon" stupid image keyboards?

I hope they tighten down what they accept after they get a good quantity of content out there.

Heel

Tapbots and the state of iOS8
September 17th, 2014

Since iOS8 was released this week, we wanted to give you a quick update on where we are with things. Tweetbot 3 for the iPhone will be submitted soon. We are finishing up our work fixing bugs and optimizing features for iOS8 and also want to test on the new devices before submitting. This will be a free update for Tweetbot 3 customers.

Next, we wanted to state that Tweetbot 3 for the iPad is in development. However we are also trying to get some of our other apps updated as well so progress has been slower than expected. We are excited to share that two of our older apps will be updated for iOS8 (iPhone/iPad) and debut for the first time on the Mac (Yosemite)! We will update you when we get closer to launch. Thanks so much for your patience and support.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Whoa, 1Password just went free.
Now is IAP so no free realy.
but people have already paid for multiple new apps of the iOS version. Are they going to charge them an IAP for the new features using iOS8 too?
If you already own 4.0, you get the IAP in 5.0 for free anyway. So you aren't buying a brand new version. If you don't own the app already, the IAP pretty much makes the app the same price it was for 4.0. So in other words, it's a complete non-issue except that if you don't need the extra features (Which according to the settings are the more categories, custom organization, more than one vault and some other stuff like attachments) then you get a completely working app for free. They basically just added a shareware version when you get down to it.

The IAP is added to your app if you previously owned 4.0 so no big deal. The app still looks the same though. I don't think there's any other changes other than some iOS 8 additions.

Ambitious

If you already own 4.0, you get the IAP in 5.0 for free anyway. So you aren't buying a brand new version. If you don't own the app already, the IAP pretty much makes the app the same price it was for 4.0. So in other words, it's a complete non-issue except that if you don't need the extra features (Which according to the settings are the more categories, custom organization, more than one vault and some other stuff like attachments) then you get a completely working app for free. They basically just added a shareware version when you get down to it.

The IAP is added to your app if you previously owned 4.0 so no big deal. The app still looks the same though. I don't think there's any other changes other than some iOS 8 additions.

I purchased 4.0 a long time ago, but the Pro features are locked for me. Apparently reinstalling the app should fix this, but I can't try it right now.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Man, app store has been letting me down lately. I can't find an app that measures noise level and provides alerts once it hits a certain threshold you set. All the measuring apps seemed to be missing something, like resetting displayed measurements and the ability to save them.

Ambitious

A few minor flaws aside, I'm pretty happy with Twitterrific. But it seems to me that Tweetbot has a slight edge in popularity. Has anyone here tried both?

I purchased 4.0 a long time ago, but the Pro features are locked for me. Apparently reinstalling the app should fix this, but I can't try it right now.

Yep, that fixed it.

Number45

A few minor flaws aside, I'm pretty happy with Twitterrific. But it seems to me that Tweetbot has a slight edge in popularity. Has anyone here tried both?
I've been tempted. It's been hard to support Tweetbot recently given the ridiculous state of the apps on Mac and iPad.

I've stopped using Tweetbot in favor of the official app. There's a big disparity in function and feature between the two apps, which I assume has less to do with Tapbots and more to do with Twitter's API.

I tried Twitterific, but the look of it wasn't really for me. And I could be wrong, but I bet it'll have the same limitations on features that Tweetbot does.

Ambitious

I've stopped using Tweetbot in favor of the official app. There's a big disparity in function and feature between the two apps, which I assume has less to do with Tapbots and more to do with Twitter's API.

I tried Twitterific, but the look of it wasn't really for me. And I could be wrong, but I bet it'll have the same limitations on features that Tweetbot does.

What kind of limitations?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does anyone know what the best media streamer for iOS is for streaming stuff from my Mac?

I currently use AirVideo HD which is amazing. It's automatic in how it can update the IP if my ISP changes it so I don't have to configure anything at all. BUT, it only does video much to the chagrin of everyone on the forums who beg for image support.

So I wanted a streamer for photos and other images. Including GIFs. After searching the store I found PhotoStreamr. And it works fine. It's only for image files and plays GIF files as well. BUT it's buggy as shit. Not automatic. Seems like it tries to copy the AVHD interface but doesn't get it quite right. Plus it means I need two server apps running at once and worse, it requires Java 6 for the server. (I had installed 8 when I updated to Yosemite PB4 and thought that was enough but this damn app required me to also install 6. Not 7. Not 8. 6. *sigh*)

Any suggestions for something that does all video files and all image types? Video conversion is important. AVHD will convert and stream any video at all in real time. (I haven't tested Real Video though. But who the fuck has .rm files?) And GIF support is important too. I'd kinda like to replace both apps with one. Since it doesn't look like AVHD is going to get image support soon. Even though I paid for the app twice.

What kind of limitations?

I'm a little ignorant on this, but I'm pretty sure Twitter gives itself access to a lot more Twitter features than it gives third party devs access to. For instance, you need the official app if you want to use:

2-step authorization
Mobile notifications
Searches that include protected accounts
Conversation threading

…and the notification settings in the official app seem a lot more granular than what I've seen in any of the third-party apps I've tried.

I'm a little ignorant on this, but I'm pretty sure Twitter gives itself access to a lot more Twitter features than it gives third party devs access to. For instance, you need the official app if you want to use:

2-step authorization
Mobile notifications
Searches that include protected accounts
Conversation threading

…and the notification settings in the official app seem a lot more granular than what I've seen in any of the third-party apps I've tried.

I can tell you that Tweetbot has push notifications that were updated to be interactive on iPhones running iOS 8 and if you swipe left on a tweet you can see the entire conversation thread.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does anyone know what the best media streamer for iOS is for streaming stuff from my Mac?

I currently use AirVideo HD which is amazing. It's automatic in how it can update the IP if my ISP changes it so I don't have to configure anything at all. BUT, it only does video much to the chagrin of everyone on the forums who beg for image support.

So I wanted a streamer for photos and other images. Including GIFs. After searching the store I found PhotoStreamr. And it works fine. It's only for image files and plays GIF files as well. BUT it's buggy as shit. Not automatic. Seems like it tries to copy the AVHD interface but doesn't get it quite right. Plus it means I need two server apps running at once and worse, it requires Java 6 for the server. (I had installed 8 when I updated to Yosemite PB4 and thought that was enough but this damn app required me to also install 6. Not 7. Not 8. 6. *sigh*)

Any suggestions for something that does all video files and all image types? Video conversion is important. AVHD will convert and stream any video at all in real time. (I haven't tested Real Video though. But who the fuck has .rm files?) And GIF support is important too. I'd kinda like to replace both apps with one. Since it doesn't look like AVHD is going to get image support soon. Even though I paid for the app twice.
Sorry to bring it up again but does no one have any suggestions? How is StreamToMe? Does it do images and how automatic is it with making sure the IP address is automatically updated when my home IP changes? Though I love AVHD's latest update I still can't believe it doesn't do images. What I would love to have is something that can stream any file type. Not just convert video, but also send images, text files, HTML files, convert documents that don't just work out of the box on iOS...

Furyous

I use streamtome.

What's the best keyboard for ios8? I'm about to try iKeywi. It seems to fit my needs but only needs to add swipe typing, custom dictionaries, and cloud support to be perfect.

Heel

Reddit Blue is now the official Reddit client. iPhone version, iPad version and Pro upgrade free for one week.

http://www.redditblog.com/2014/10/the-alien-has-landed.html

If you're an iPad user, be sure to download the iPhone version too so you can upgrade to Pro for free. I believe they're switching that app to Universal, so you'll need to "buy" the upgrade while you can. The upgrade is under "Settings."

So Apple did remove the quick Facebook and Twitter post option?

Before iOS 7 i would just pull down the notification center, and there was a Share option for both Facebook and Twitter.

Mafro

Before iOS 7 i would just pull down the notification center, and there was a Share option for both Facebook and Twitter.
Yeah they removed that for no apparent reason in iOS7. Really annoying as I used them a lot for posting instead of the actual apps. There's a jailbreak tweak that lets you add them again in iOS7 (or have them in the Control Centre which I preferred) which is handy.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
What makes the removal weirder is that in Yosemite we still have quick FB and Twitter posting options in the notification center. I've been using the Twitter one semi-frequently since the beta.

They got removed sometime ago, but you can use Siri to post without having to open the app if you want.

Mafro

Maybe a widget will take over, but I miss it as well.
There's an app called Tap To Share that tries to mimic the feature but when you tap on them it opens up the app rather than the little Twitter or Facebook dialogue box. Something to so with not being able to post anything directly from the notification centre.

pxleyes

Banned
There's an app called Tap To Share that tries to mimic the feature but when you tap on them it opens up the app rather than the little Twitter or Facebook dialogue box. Something to so with not being able to post anything directly from the notification centre.
What's crazy is OSX 10.10 has it still.

Tom_Cody

I have basic question. I'm trying to figure out the best way to read articles with a combination of text and pictures offline. Like this:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/02/nixon-in-love-103490.html#.VE-x-SLF-So

I make good use of my kindle (mostly the device but the app as well) for reading text-only articles but more and more feature articles are being written with rich formatting and integrated images and I am looking for an elegant way to save such articles for offline reading.

Any suggestions?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It blows my mind how bad the app is. I won't even start to list all the issues. It's so embarassing.
They finally fixed it the other day.

What I don't get, and this is general YouTube related, is there's no way to reverse sort a playlist. If you have autopsy enabled, it will only play in reverse chronological order so if you're trying to catch up on sat a weeks worth of uploads from your favorite 'Tuber, you have to disable auto play and manually choose the next video because there's no simple reverse sort option. It goes against what people use YouTube for. Binge watching videos.

I have basic question. I'm trying to figure out the best way to read articles with a combination of text and pictures offline. Like this:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/02/nixon-in-love-103490.html#.VE-x-SLF-So

I make good use of my kindle (mostly the device but the app as well) for reading text-only articles but more and more feature articles are being written with rich formatting and integrated images and I am looking for an elegant way to save such articles for offline reading.

Any suggestions?

You mean like Pocket?

The Safari version also lets you save with a long press on a link, rather than having to actually open the link in order to save it. So I think it's a little more pleasant to use than Pocket.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If you use Safari, I recommend just using Reading List. Otherwise use Pocket. Unless you need all the other features Pocket offers, in which case there's only slightly more hoops but it's still viable. Both will download the sites to an offline cache. And I think both offer a reader view. The benefit to the Safari one is syncing without needing an extension or separate app on either side.

I used to use Pocket all the time until I switched to Safari. It does all I need it to do. Saves links for later. Actually I wish I could actually turn off the cache feature. I'm never offline. I just want to save the links. Though if I needed to I could just add them to my bookmarks and have the same effect, but that's more clunky since it's simpler to remove read pages when done.

Top Bottom