• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

Futureman

so when someone is developing an iOS app, do they get to choose what kind of scrolling the app gets?

like the difference between scrolling in the Music app vs. Safari? I'm coming from Android and possibly just need to get used to it, but when I'm in a NeoGAF topic and want to scroll down to the bottom very fast, it goes slow at first but the picks up speed.... but it feels somewhat janky to me. I do know about double tapping the title bar to jump to the top of the page.

FerranMG

so when someone is developing an iOS app, do they get to choose what kind of scrolling the app gets?

like the difference between scrolling in the Music app vs. Safari? I'm coming from Android and possibly just need to get used to it, but when I'm in a NeoGAF topic and want to scroll down to the bottom very fast, it goes slow at first but the picks up speed.... but it feels somewhat janky to me. I do know about double tapping the title bar to jump to the top of the page.

1.- Scroll speed increases the more you scroll. This is very useful to move through a very long page, or a huge amount of contacts, for example.
2.- You don't have to double tap the top bar to scroll to the top. Just touch it once.
3.- In GAF's mobile version, you can touch the blue bar at the top of the thread, and you'll scroll down to the bottom.

God Enel

Guys anyone knows a good app where I can track my finances? For example how much i spend for food, clothing etc.?

Last time you gave me an awesome tip with pdf expert.

Does anyone know which specific notification toggle in the official Twitter app controls the 'suchandsuch & soandso are talking about XYZ' notifications?
Edit: I think it's 'other'.

Is there a math app that will generate random multi-choice math questions from various topics like calculus, geometry, algebra, etc.? I need something to help me study while on the go. I'm not sure if something like this exists.

Is there a math app that will generate random multi-choice math questions from various topics like calculus, geometry, algebra, etc.? I need something to help me study while on the go. I'm not sure if something like this exists.
Something like Kuta Software might do the trick. It generates PDF files, but it's web-based rather than a native app.

wrowa

I want to access the shared files of my Windows 8 PC on my iOS device. Does anyone know a good app for that? So far all I can find is File Browser, which connects to my PC just fine, but is useless in the free version and is a little too expensive for my liking in the full version (5.49€). Any alternatives?

Quick

Banned
I want to access the shared files of my Windows 8 PC on my iOS device. Does anyone know a good app for that? So far all I can find is File Browser, which connects to my PC just fine, but is useless in the free version and is a little too expensive for my liking in the full version (5.49€). Any alternatives?

Shared files? Like in a folder?

You could shove that stuff into OneDrive and download the iOS App for it if that's the case.

wrowa

Shared files? Like in a folder?

You could shove that stuff into OneDrive and download the iOS App for it if that's the case.

Then I'd need to upload the files to the internet first, wouldn't I? I just want to be able to access those files from my home network (and at home, not on the go).

However, I just realized that the manufacturer of my router offers a free NAS app. That's not exactly what I had in mind, but it does the job too.

Quick

Banned
Then I'd need to upload the files to the internet first, wouldn't I? I just want to be able to access those files from my home network (and at home, not on the go).

However, I just realized that the manufacturer of my router offers a free NAS app. That's not exactly what I had in mind, but it does the job too.

There's also Dropbox. I haven't fiddled with OneDrive, but both services just require you to place the files in the respective service's folder (OneDrive folder is default installed in Windows 8, Dropbox installs one during setup) and it'll upload automatically to be made available on your iOS device through their respective apps.

Dropbox is especially handy for me to automatically upload photos taken with my phone to a folder I can access on my PC and MacBook Pro.

X-Frame

I've been using Downcast and after checking out it's competitors I noticed that Downcast seems to have the most plain UI. A lot of the other podcast apps definitely look better.

Megasoum

Banned
So... I'm pretty sure what the answer's gonna be but just to be sure... There's no way to have iOS to randomly shuffle wallpapers for the homescreen/lock screen without jailbreaking the phone right?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Very excited to see overcast has been released. Been pretty content with Castro the last few months but I'm just about to purchase overcast and give it a go.

Wow that import feature is killer.. Though at first glance I'm weirded out by the font choice and orange as the main color.

So does overcast stream podcasts?
I purchased the full version but the app seemingly requires the download to be finished before you can play episodes. From 5 minutes of interactions it seems to draw a clear distinction between downloaded episodes and non downloaded episodes.

edit:
couple hours later. this app is fast as heck.

The lack of iPad app kinda bothers me

Is there some sort of comparison between the paid apps? I want to upgrade from the free podcasts app

Number45

Does anyone have any recommendations for twitter apps, over Tweetbot. I've been a pretty staunch supporter of Tweetbot, but having bought it for all platforms (twice for iPhone) it's disappointing to see the Mac and iPad apps ignored months after the updated iOS app was launched. :/

Something that has sync and support for muting users, no ads and runs on Mac, iPad and iPhone (a Windows client would be a bonus, as I still have to use Windows at work).

giga

Does anyone have any recommendations for twitter apps, over Tweetbot. I've been a pretty staunch supporter of Tweetbot, but having bought it for all platforms (twice for iPhone) it's disappointing to see the Mac and iPad apps ignored months after the updated iOS app was launched. :/

Something that has sync and support for muting users, no ads and runs on Mac, iPad and iPhone (a Windows client would be a bonus, as I still have to use Windows at work).
Twitterific?

Cr0wn0

They are probably just gearing up to release new apps, or if history has anything to do with it ignore them completely for years.

Number45

Twitterific?
Thanks. I'd stumbled across it but wasn't sure if it's any good. Will give it a whirl.

They are probably just gearing up to release new apps, or if history has anything to do with it ignore them completely for years.
I really love the software, but the Mac and iPad versions are archaic now. I'm even willing to stump up the money again (because I know I'll have to) for when they release version 3 finally. I know they're still developing, because they're patching the existing version. :(

SeanR1221

So I'm trying to do two things

Schedule clients and schedule meetings.

Now I used to just memorize my client schedule because it was consistent, and put meetings in my calendar since they were random and I could quickly look at the stock calendar app, see a dot and know something important was happening.

But now my client schedule varies a lot.

I want to be able to see all clients scheduled on a calendar, but ALSO bring special attention when I have a meeting. I'm guessing there's no way to do this without using two separate apps? I also set a reminder for meetings, but I'd hate seeing dots every day on my calendar and having to scroll and look.

Cr0wn0

Now I used to just memorize my client schedule because it was consistent, and put meetings in my calendar since they were random and I could quickly look at the stock calendar app, see a dot and know something important was happening.

I want to be able to see all clients scheduled on a calendar, but ALSO bring special attention when I have a meeting. I'm guessing there's no way to do this without using two separate apps? I also set a reminder for meetings, but I'd hate seeing dots every day on my calendar and having to scroll and look.

I have a pretty crazy calendar that I rely on multiple times a day. I use Pocket Informant with google cal and then have different calendars setup for different things. We have a main calendar and then I have an important calendar that shows up as a different color in the app. I know if I see Purple its something really important where if its green its my normal day to day stuff.

I use Calendar only for recurring or ranged events (basically, 'schedules') and Evernote Reminders for tasks and one-offs ('meetings'). Evernote Reminders could be swapped for plain old Reminders if you're not into Evernote, with added benefit of an at-a-glance view in the Notification area (since both Reminders and Calendar events can appear there).

SeanR1221

I have a pretty crazy calendar that I rely on multiple times a day. I use Pocket Informant with google cal and then have different calendars setup for different things. We have a main calendar and then I have an important calendar that shows up as a different color in the app. I know if I see Purple its something really important where if its green its my normal day to day stuff.

I use Calendar only for recurring or ranged events (basically, 'schedules') and Evernote Reminders for tasks and one-offs ('meetings'). Evernote Reminders could be swapped for plain old Reminders if you're not into Evernote, with added benefit of an at-a-glance view in the Notification area (since both Reminders and Calendar events can appear there).

I think I like the idea of using the stock calendar and then using reminders on top of that for meetings.

Not the most ideal situation, but it's free and it will automatically push to my MacBook as well.

it's too bad that Fantastical calendar app thats on sale isn't universal. If I were to buy that for the phone, iPad AND macbook I'd be looking at 30.00 in calendars!!

Ambitious

Since the last update a few days ago, the quality settings of the official YouTube app are now portrait-only. Geniuses.

img_0648whz0d.png

edit: And again, they didn't think of grouping videos from the same channel in the My Subscriptions list into one list section. Apart from the channel name above each individual video, there's now also a "Show all" link right below each one of them. So much wasted space...

img_0658c0q38.png

I have a 50 dollar giftcard for the app store. I've already allocated 15 dollars for some games I've been wanting, but I'd like to see if there are any paid apps that are really worth the money. I have a brand new mini and I'd like basically anything that makes my life better/easier/more fun.

sruckus

I just got it. Not sure it's legitimate, though. I guess the dev tweeted they didn't approve that. No idea.

Honestly I would have switched sooner if the pricing wasn't so crazy for cross platform users. I have to be on Windows for work and just those are expensive.

but people have already paid for multiple new apps of the iOS version. Are they going to charge them an IAP for the new features using iOS8 too?

My assumption is that it is like other apps that have switched to an IAP model after being a paid app. If you have paid for it in the past you should always have the full unlocked version. Won't know anything for sure until AgileBits says something though.

Heel

Yeah, it seems like they screwed up with the timing of their rollout or something? I downloaded a version before 1Password 5.0 on iOS 7 for free last night. This morning it allowed me to download an older version of 1Password on my other device, because 5.0 requires iOS 8.

If it ends up giving me the pro features for free when I update, something definitely went wrong. If not, this is some brilliant marketing...haha.

Top Bottom