• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

New Facebook iOS update has removed the most recent option from the news feed. I'd like to think this is a mistake but knowing them it's not. Thankfully I still have the previous version of the app on my laptop.

What.

What?

Fucking what the fuck?

WHAT THE FUCK IS FACEBOOK'S PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE WANTING TO SEE ALL NEWS IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER?

So glad I mainly use Twitter. At least they haven't completely fucked it up yet. (Not that they aren't being pressured to try.)

It still exists, but of course they buried it deeper in the menus. Go to the 'more' button at the bottom, scroll down to the feeds header and tap on it and it's listed there.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It still exists, but of course they buried it deeper in the menus. Go to the 'more' button at the bottom, scroll down to the feeds header and tap on it and it's listed there.
Jut found it. God damn that's out of the way. And below the useless "Apps" section. Can we reorder those damn sections at least? Can I add Most Recent to Favorites? Gimmie something, FaceBook! No one fucking cares about what you think we care about. You're worse than YouTube. Just show me my subscriptions uploads only in reverse chronological order and don't try and tell me what to watch!

Jut found it. God damn that's out of the way. And below the useless "Apps" section. Can we reorder those damn sections at least? Can I add Most Recent to Favorites? Gimmie something, FaceBook! No one fucking cares about what you think we care about. You're worse than YouTube. Just show me my subscriptions uploads only in reverse chronological order and don't try and tell me what to watch!

I'm not going to be surprised when Facebook removed the most recent option from the app, and I'm sure it's coming sooner rather than later.

In other news, the Podcasts app just updated to version 2.1 to coincide with the release of iTunes 11.2 today. Supposed to include better syncing and browsing. I'd be curious how the improvements are since I don't use it and use Instacast instead. If they could ever get the syncing to work correctly between the iOS app and iTunes I'd drop a 3rd party player in an instant especially since there is now Siri support in the Podcasts app.

DKehoe

After updating it my podcast app now closes itself a couple seconds after I have opened it. Is this happening to anyone else? Anyone got any ideas to fix it?

EDIT: I deleted and reinstalled the app and that seems to have worked

I can't believe that I am going to say this, but from what little I used it since the update the Apple Podcasts app is actually quite functional. I've been using Instacast for OS X and iOS as my solution to syncing podcasts everywhere, but it appears that iTunes and Podcasts.app actually work just as well. This is only through a few hours of testing, but early signs are positive.

Deku Tree

If I have a file in my iCloud folder within the Goodreader App, is there any way to directly access that file on my Mac running Mavericks?

Triple post!

Seriously, anyone use "Mailbox" by dropbox? How does it compare to Apple Mail?
Along with Cloud Magic it's probably the nicest of these type of apps, especially if you're into inbox zero. I have a hard time getting into it though because the default app is so deeply integrated that using anything else feels clunky.

feel

Just noticed that all of Word Lens' in-app purchases are free right now, all the languages free. Not sure if it's been like that for a while of if it's related to Google buying them. I'd recommend jumping on them in case it's temporary.

Heel

What iPad app do you guys use for Twitter? I use Tweetbot for the phone.

Tweetbot for iPad. I don't know if I'd buy that right now, though. I assume they're going to release Tweetbot 3 for iPad sooner or later. Anyone know anything?

FerranMG

Triple post!

Seriously, anyone use "Mailbox" by dropbox? How does it compare to Apple Mail?

It's a different way to manage your inbox, but I definitely prefer it.
I switched to the inbox 0 philosophy when I tried Mailbox, and I'm not going back.
Mailbox is a super nice app, too.

X-Frame

People seemed to take issue when Mailbox switched to Dropbox syncing, but I don't understand the outrage. It seems to work the same as before.

I also can't wait until their Mac app beta launches.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
The Mailbox app is really slick. It's fast, clean and easy to use. My main problem with it is that it doesn't use your gmail tags which I use extensively. :/

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Oh google and their non-flat icons. It's starting to bug me.

Even square enix's security token that crashed for the longest time and has a blurry icon is flat.

Oh google and their non-flat icons. It's starting to bug me.

Even square enix's security token that crashed for the longest time and has a blurry icon is flat.

Probably the one thing that keeps me from using pretty much any Google app at all. The only one I use is Google Voice out of necessity, and of course that one is really in a league of its own as icons go.

Ambitious

I was wondering if someone could recommend me an app to help me stop smoking. There seem to be thousands in the App Store, and most of them look rather shitty.

Regarding features, I don't even know what to look for. Some charts and statistics maybe, like money saved or number of cigarettes not smoked. Maybe some advice to cope with withdrawal.

Deku Tree

I was wondering if someone could recommend me an app to help me stop smoking. There seem to be thousands in the App Store, and most of them look rather shitty.

Regarding features, I don't even know what to look for. Some charts and statistics maybe, like money saved or number of cigarettes notsmoked. Maybe some advice to cope with withdrawal.

Never heard of that, did you try "the patch" or Nicorette Gum?

Does anyone have any recommendations for fitness apps that can be used in conjunction with a simple cycling machine? All I really want to to is keep track of how much distance I covered on any given day, and in what time etc via manual entry.

I use a speedo app for swimming which works like this and it's really useful, but all the ones for cycling I've found seem to be centred around GPS tracking or Bluetooth gizmos.

Cheers.

Does anyone have any recommendations for fitness apps that can be used in conjunction with a simple cycling machine? All I really want to to is keep track of how much distance I covered on any given day, and in what time etc via manual entry.

I use a speedo app for swimming which works like this and it's really useful, but all the ones for cycling I've found seem to be centred around GPS tracking or Bluetooth gizmos.

Cheers.

Quick sly bump. Anyone use/know of such a thing?

Just manual entry? Do apps like Endomondo allow manual entry for exercises like those? If not you could even just use Evernote.

No idea, but I'll look into it. Using a note app is really a last result as it can't provide any insight or analysis of the results. The speedo swimming app I mentioned has challenges that allow you to plot your distances over popular stretches of water across the world (eg: from Alcatraz to the Golden Gate Bridge, and across the English channel).

I could work out that stuff manually of course, but having it done for you is much more helpful.

Futureman

If I'm coming from Android and currently use Google Voice, what do I do? Does it just work with Hangouts or something? or will I have to change my number?

Megasoum

Banned
I have a work iphone and we're using an Exchange server for our mails. Is there a better mail app available than the default one that works with Exchange?

The main thing that is bugging me with the default app is that I'm using a bunch of folders with rules set up in Outlook to filter the mails between the folders. The filtering itself works fine but the badge icon only count unread emails in the main inbox and not the stuff in the sub folders (which is the vast majority of my emails) and it's really annoying.

Futureman

There is a horrendously ugly google voice app you can use, or you can use Hangouts or the regular dial-out method.

so I could switch to iPhone, download Hangouts and it would use my current Google Voice number and I could still get free texting? I can't imagine adding $20/month to my bill for texts when my total bill is $58 after tax right now.

so I could switch to iPhone, download Hangouts and it would use my current Google Voice number and I could still get free texting? I can't imagine adding $20/month to my bill for texts when my total bill is $58 after tax right now.

You can make and receive calls via Hangouts on iOS, but I believe for GV texting your only option will be the Google Voice app. Does Hangouts on Android retrieve Google Voice texts? I don't think it does that on iOS. Personally I use Hangouts just for Hangouts, and the Google Voice app for everything else. Easier for me to keep it straight in my head that way.

Edit: I want to make sure I specifically answer what I think was the meat of your question, ha: you can use your current GV number and most all the functionality of the GV app is just like it is on Android. Just kinda ugly.

Deku Tree

OMG my Mom just bought a Samsung Galaxy Phone.. Are there good apps that allow you to video chat between iPhone and Android for free? Is it just Skype?

X-Frame

Feedly has been hit with DDoS attacks for the 3rd day in a row, bringing the service down. Quite annoying whoever these scumbags are trying to extort them.

Still, is there no way for Feedly to protect against these attacks? I feel until Feedly pays the demands this will happen every day.

Epix

Just released my first game for the iPhone and iPad. It's called Overlap Tap and it's a game of concentration, dexterity and stamina. It's designed to be simple to play but challenging to master, and great for killing some time throughout the day. It supports social media so you can share your scores with the world. Please give it a try and if you like it please give it a review on the Appstore, it helps tremendously.

BONUS - I'm giving away a $10 iTunes giftcard to the first person in the world to get 5000 points! I designed the game and the best I've managed so far is 3200. Good luck!!

Store link.

Here's a video.

Deku Tree

Just released my first game for the iPhone and iPad. It's called Overlap Tap and it's a game of concentration, dexterity and stamina. It's designed to be simple to play but challenging to master, and great for killing some time throughout the day. It supports social media so you can share your scores with the world. Please give it a try and if you like it please give it a review on the Appstore, it helps tremendously.

BONUS - I'm giving away a $10 iTunes giftcard to the first person in the world to get 5000 points! I designed the game and the best I've managed so far is 3200. Good luck!!

Store link.

Here's a video.

I don't understand your game. I keep getting a game over right away. And I have to look at two ads between each game over.

Epix

I don't understand your game. I keep getting a game over right away. And I have to look at two ads between each game over.

Did you look at the "how to play?" Concept is simple, tap on each bar only while it's passing underneath over overlap. Too soon or too late and it's game over. Make sure you tap on each bar directly.

The more bars you can keep going and the smaller the overlap you go with will cause your score to go up faster.

Should only be one ad between games.

Futureman

should I change the "You can be reached by iMessage at..." to my Google Voice number?

if so, anyone with iMessage will come thru the Message app and everything else through Google Voice, right?

I read that you can make calls from the Hangouts app with your Google Voice number, but it uses data. I had to drop down to a 6 GB plan on Verizon from unlimited by upgrading, so I'm watching my data now. I hope the end goal for Google would be for all texts and calls to happen thru Hangouts with your Google Voice number and calls not using data. Is that obtainable?

is there a way to set it so if I go over 6 GB it kills the data connection and only uses Wifi?

edit: So just realized changing it to my GV number won't work... my only hope for nice messaging on iOS is if Google gets Hangouts together or I pay $20 more per month for texts... though the GV app is pretty good, just never got refreshed visually.

Epix

Store link.

Here's a video.

$10 Giftcard 5k challenge still going!!

Futureman

someone want to try to convince me to use Mailbox over Gmail?

jsut loaded it and it's asking to "get me to 0." What exactly does it want to do? I never, ever delete any emails. Right now it says I have 28,000 messages on the read badge even though all my emails are currently read.

someone want to try to convince me to use Mailbox over Gmail?

jsut loaded it and it's asking to "get me to 0." What exactly does it want to do? I never, ever delete any emails. Right now it says I have 28,000 messages on the read badge even though all my emails are currently read.

It's going to want you to archive them all. If you don't subscribe to the 'inbox zero' philosophy, then Mailbox loses a lot of usefulness or appeal.

Top Bottom