• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming April 2016 | Fool's Gold

Aaron D.

v5jGJSc.png

http://riskylab.com/warbits/WarbitsManual.pdf

You guys see the 36 page Game Manual for Warbits on the dev site?

Formatted for phones, so hit the link on your mobile and it'll open in your iBooks or Kindle for you to save.

It's too cute!

awp69

Super Meat Boy is out for my Shield Tablet. Wondering if it will come to iOS and also wondering if it requires a controller (I already have the console version but would love it on the go if it controls well).

Super Meat Boy is out for my Shield Tablet. Wondering if it will come to iOS and also wondering if it requires a controller (I already have the console version but would love it on the go if it controls well).
There was that Super Meat Boy Forever game revealed in 2014, but we haven't heard anything about it since.

awp69

There was that Super Meat Boy Forever game revealed in 2014, but we haven't heard anything about it since.

Yeah, I don't know. Still haven't read whether this requires a controller.

But that's huge disadvantage to both iOS and tvOS. There have been a lot of Shield exclusives on Android (Titan Souls, Luftrausers, Hotline Miami, Half Life 2, Doom 3 BFG, etc.) that require controllers.

That means even if they are released from being "exclusive" they probably still won't get ported to iOS or Apple TV because of Apple's rules against requiring a controller.

For me, that isn't a big deal because I don't do controllers for iOS gaming (like I said before I want my games to be truly portable). I made the exception for my Shield Tablet because it was the first place I could even play games like the Talos Principle and I play I on my TV.

It really hurts Apple TV big time though IMO.

We just released a new version of Doomsday Clicker - fixed a few bugs, and also added a new Doomsday scenario!

So I decided to check this out yesterday.

I haven't really played a lot of clickers in the past, but this was pretty fun. Cute designs, some funny music and a funny concept. I've prestiged a few times now, and the money rolls in pretty fast. It's also a pretty good way to stop the game from feeling like you've hit a wall after a certain point. I'm not sure how long it will hold my attention, as there's only so much you can do. Still, I've had fun with this and will probably drop in every now and then for the next couple days.

I've also been playing Telepaint. The game is really polished, and I love the visuals. It's a simple idea, but the puzzles can get surprisingly tricky as you go on. At $2.99 it's a great price, and I would recommend everyone give it a try at some point.

You guys see the 36 page Game Manual for Warbits on the dev site?

This is a great idea. Love how they've optimized it for phones too.

I actually haven't been following this game at all, but it definitely wears the Advanced Wars inspiration on its sleeve. I've been interested in going back to Advanced Wars for a little while now, so maybe this will scratch that itch.

Rlan

Saw the earth day stuff today and went "welp, no way a game about destroying the world on a regular basis is gonna get featured this week!" :p

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Rinさとり;201039476 said:
Not true. In fact i only use the all games page rather then all apps

Having had the fortunate opportunity to get games featured both at the top level and in categories multiple times, I can tell you there is a massive difference in the number of downloads/revenue you generate between the two. Like 10-20x difference. Sometimes more.

And under different top level takeovers, they would have at least have a Best New Games row slot on the Front Page. Even that would be more valuable that the top banner feature in a category one level down. But that doesn't exist this week either.

They just have the smaller banner down the bottom of the front page with the Editors Choice tag.

My actual first thought when looking at the App Store refresh today was "that sucks for Warbits". Terribly unfortunate for a paid game.

PittaGAF

I already knew and it was always in the plans of the devs, but now Stasis for iOS has been officially confirmed and in the works (since months).

HELL YEAH.

kiguel182

Yeah, Warbits had some bad luck with this new promo.

But I knew from not knowing anything about the game to buying it just based on GAF. I think the game will have good word of mouth going forward.

awp69

Warbits is still #13 on the paid games charts. Not bad considering it is still kind of niche.

Surprised to see Radiation Island at #1. Some viral or ad campaign I'm not aware of?

Also, if you haven't already jumped on the Power Hover train, it's on sale for $.99,

Warbits is still #13 on the paid games charts. Not bad considering it is still kind of niche.

Surprised to see Radiation Island at #1. Some viral or ad campaign I'm not aware of?

Also, if you haven't already jumped on the Power Hover train, it's on sale for $.99,
Radiation Island was on sale recently

PittaGAF

iPad only i guess?

I do not know, details are really scarce, no matter how much I've bothered the dev about this :p

Only thing clear is that it's under development by an external team, dev wrote this in the last update about the new Stasis chapter (a stand alone mini adventure with ties with the main game, a sort of prequel).

RM8

Warbits is so great <3 There's an upcoming game that's kind of similar looking, with a western setting, right? It's hard to keep track of mobile games.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
snip.........., they would have at least have a Best New Games row slot on the Front Page. Even that would be more valuable that the top banner feature in a category one level down. But that doesn't exist this week either.

They just have the smaller banner down the bottom of the front page with the Editors Choice tag.

My actual first thought when looking at the App Store refresh today was "that sucks for Warbits". Terribly unfortunate for a paid game.

They are still listed in best new games on the front page. It's there, just down lower on the page than is customary.

asa

Warbits is excellent! I hope they pullthrough okey, bit unfortunate timing of release, but then again they might not have gotten the editor's choice if they released next week. I think the game will do well in the long run.

Yeah! we put the game on 0.99 for a week, get it now if you haven't already!
Using the opportunity to post this Spring Sale ad I made for the occasion. :p
giphy.gif

Yeah! we put the game on 0.99 for a week, get it now if you haven't already!
Using the opportunity to post this Spring Sale ad I made for the occasion. :p
giphy.gif

Perfect! I just bought the game based on the praise here and $0.99 is generally my jump in price for games I'm on the fence about. Now that I've played it, I realize that the praise is justified and $2.99 would still be a great price. Awesome game!

PaulLFC

Badland is on sale for $.99 and Badland 2 is $1.99.

Don't think I need to say how good those two are.
Bought Badland 2, since I already own the first - it was £1.99 though, which is unusual, usually $1.99 games translate to £1.49. Can devs set their own regional prices, or have Apple had another price increase?

Hey, Mario, was wondering if you might have some insight to this question: what kind of download numbers do games/apps in the Top Paid charts have?

Was curius because Warbits is 7th in Top Paid Games and 11th in Top Paid Apps, wanted to get an idea of what range of downloads that would be for them

sheaaaa

Is Badland 2 on Steam or is it just the first? In other mobile to PC news, Hopiko is apparently getting a Steam release with full controller support and even has a store page already up. Any idea how it'll control? How did it control on mobile?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
They are still listed in best new games on the front page. It's there, just down lower on the page than is customary.

So there is. Unfortunately, as soon as you have to scroll right or down, the falloff in downloads is big too. The best feature spots are the top banner, and the 3 leftmost Best New Games spots when that is at the top. Everything else is downhill from there.

That's not to say what featuring they have is worth nothing, but they'd be doing way more if they weren't bumped by the Earth stuff and had the regular placement.

Hey, Mario, was wondering if you might have some insight to this question: what kind of download numbers do games/apps in the Top Paid charts have?

Was curius because Warbits is 7th in Top Paid Games and 11th in Top Paid Apps, wanted to get an idea of what range of downloads that would be for them

I don't really have a feel for that in specific markets.

As we've mainly done F2P for years, the last data points I have are pretty out of date. In 2011, we had a game around 4-6 Top Paid Overall for a week and were peaking around 18k downloads a day at 99c. The market has grown since then but I suspect that has been offset by people leaning towards free game downloads, so numbers could be up or down from there.

They are currently sitting around 11-13 Top Paid Overall today, but there is a big dropoff in downloads from position 10 to position 11 in the charts as 11 and below has less visibility.

Only looking at one country's charts doesn't give you the overall picture of course either. Currently they are only charting inside the Top Grossing 400 in 7 countries which isn't "great". They seem to be doing okay in Europe, but not really charting in much of Asia or South America which can be lucrative secondary markets for "Western" games.

My gut feel looking at the rankings is they are making "thousands" but not "tens of thousands" a day currently.

It will take a few more days before the rankings settle, and their high ratings and good word of mouth should work in their favour. I'm not sure they have the momentum, buzz, or apparent worldwide appeal for the game to be a big success though, especially when their featuring switches off this time next week and seems like the price will go up too which I think will hurt. On the plus side, their stellar reviews should get them some downstream featuring which could help prop up sales over time.

Whether or not they are happy with their results really depends on their costs and expectations though. However, with the caveat that we are only one day in and I have no idea of the investment they have made, I suspect this is shaping up to be another "we got a great response from fans, but are disappointed" example.

But maybe I'm just being cynical.

Whether or not they are happy with their results really depends on their costs and expectations though. However, with the caveat that we are only one day in and I have no idea of the investment they have made, I suspect this is shaping up to be another "we got a great response from fans, but are disappointed" example.

But maybe I'm just being cynical.
Considering they worked on the game for four years, I imagine they sunk a significant investment into the game.

The game 4 years ago

Considering they worked on the game for four years, I imagine they sunk a significant investment into the game.

The game 4 years ago
I would like to note though that Warbits was mainly a side project for these two guys. They worked on it on and off for many years so I would not expect the investment to be too high.

However you look at it, part time or not, the effort to make a game of this quality is staggering
Oh definitely. I had been following Warbits' development for a few months and browse devlogs over on TIGSource on a daily basis. Seeing how a fake evolves from basic placeholder to finished project makes you really appreciate the craftsmanship behind games a lot more IMO

PaulLFC

I do think it's a bit excessive to have one event take over pretty much the entirety of the app store's front page for multiple days. Surely one banner and one list underneath would have sufficed? I feel bad for Risky Lab and the other devs whose great games and apps aren't getting any promotion (and therefore very likely getting less downloads and revenue than they would have done) because of this promotion.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
So what do you guys think of the rumored App Store changes?

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/04/report-apple-considering-a-paid-search-model-for-the-app-store/

Would love to get some developer thoughts

I would love to see it show recent top app charts by default. Recent being the key word. Only show apps released in the previous 90 or 180 days. Of course you would still have the option to see all time top apps, but defaulting to recent would help give well deserved exposure instead of seeing Angry Birds or The Game of Life over and over.

PaulLFC

I would love to see it show recent top app charts by default. Recent being the key word. Only show apps released in the previous 90 or 180 days. Of course you would still have the option to see all time top apps, but defaulting to recent would help give well deserved exposure instead of seeing Angry Birds or The Game of Life over and over.
This would be a good change.

On the contrary I don't like the sound of paid promotion at all. Seems that that most likely apps to be able to afford to pay would be those already successful, or those from big publishers. So smaller games and indie developers would have even less chance of being featured and creating a breakout hit.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So what do you guys think of the rumored App Store changes?

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/04/report-apple-considering-a-paid-search-model-for-the-app-store/

Would love to get some developer thoughts

I'm skeptical Apple would do this, and if they did I have a feeling it would entrench successful companies and create greater disparity between the haves and have nots.

What they really need to do is leverage the data that they already have in terms of ratings and usage information and connect it to social and cultural information to create highly personalized automated recommendations.

colinp

Banned
I've finally been giving Motorsport Manager a spin after it was featured the other week and it's really fun! Quite impressed with it all and I find it really funny how they took the look of the tracks from the official F1 app.

May is going to be great. Verreciel is releasing next month, and Michael Brough's next game is coming mid-May (and it's awesome btw)

Acosta

Hey guys,

not really sure if this is the appropriate thread, so sorry in advance.

I tried to get into iOS gaming when I bought an ipad, but it kinda didn't work aside of King of Dragon Pass (which is a bit of cheating as I loved already the original version). It was more a problem of the hardware, I'm usually at home and I don't use the tablet that much when I can be in the computer. And when I'm outside I don't bring the tablet with me (normally I go with a handheld if I need an entertainment device).

Now I'm thinking in buying a Iphone Plus, in a best of two worlds way of thinking. But I know there are games that are ipad exclusive. As one of my main motivations is gaming (and reading), could you tell me how is the gaming experience on it and if I'm going to miss a lot of ipad exclusive stuff?

Hey guys,

not really sure if this is the appropriate thread, so sorry in advance.

I tried to get into iOS gaming when I bought an ipad, but it kinda didn't work aside of King of Dragon Pass (which is a bit of cheating as I loved already the original version). It was more a problem of the hardware, I'm usually at home and I don't use the tablet that much when I can be in the computer. And when I'm outside I don't bring the tablet with me (normally I go with a handheld if I need an entertainment device).

Now I'm thinking in buying a Iphone Plus, in a best of two worlds way of thinking. But I know there are games that are ipad exclusive. As one of my main motivations is gaming (and reading), could you tell me how is the gaming experience on it and if I'm going to miss a lot of ipad exclusive stuff?
Most games are universal, working on both iPad and iPhone. The iPad only games are usually ports or strategy games that really need the larger screens. And even then many iPad-only games go universal after launch. I don't think you'll be missing out on much

Top Bottom