• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Dec/Jan: GET

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
iAmoSQPVUepXv.png

Aaand done (for now). The collectibles are very rewarding here, so I always aim for 100%. Including going after all the dev commentary (some of which I wish weren't that well-hidden :p) after I beat each episode, they don't count for the percentage but they're always interesting to listen to. I was bummed when (Ep. 3 spoiler)
I clicked the last two cartridges and there was no more Cooper reviews since he was already absent when you get them.
Thought it was quite an effective attention to detail.

Looking forward to the last two episodes, I don't really dig episodic gaming (I usually wait for all to be released), but this has been a very fun and cool one to experience and the world and characters are sticking with me.

awp69

Finally got my Mini. Man, this thing is bigger than I expected. I'm so used to my little phone screen

Congrats! Welcome to the Mini club (seems to be quite a few of us on here). Personally, I think it's the perfect size. A lot larger than a phone (at least the 5S, anyway), but not unwieldy.

Had to do some digging but here's a list of many iPad-only apps from the last two years

- Crabitron
- Space Hulk
- Crystal Siege HD
- SpaceChem
- Baldurs Gate (Universal but nearly impossible to play on a phone)
- Baldurs Gate II
- Icewind Dale
- Munin
- FTL
- Papers Please
- Zero Age
- Frozen Synapse
- Blood Bowl
- Uplink
- Shadowfall Returns
- Shadowfall Dragonfall
- The Witcher Adventure Game
- Words for Evil
- Rebels & Redcoats
- Magick
- Blood & Laurels
- Democracy 3
- Avadon 2: The Corruption
- Avernum 6
- Avernum: Escape from The Pit
- Unstoppable Gorg
- Super Sanctum TD
- Tactical Space Command
- Astronaut Spacewalk HD
- Mushroom Wars
- Leviathan: Warships

I absolutely LOVED GTA Chinatown Wars on the PSP (always felt it was the best version with the most visual details) so picking it up for $3 on my iPhone 6+ seemed like a solid deal. I feel like the game deserved to sell WAY more than it did. Visually this is a great version of the game, having been remastered in HD.

Been playing it casually and I can't help but complain at how sensitive/touchy the virtual analog stick is when driving (and even walking).

I'm so used to my Vita's analog sticks and buttons, playing a game like this with a complete control scheme is really taking me a long time to get used to. I rarely play games on my iPhone.

awp69

Speaking of iPad-only games, I've been thinking of picking up Crystal Siege. Problem is, I have so many unfinished TDs that I really should concentrate on finishing a few of them.

Crabitron is fun but after a but I kind of wish for some button control options. I get it - it's got a unique control gimmick but it gets irritating to pinch on the screen after a while.

Think I mentioned it before, but Mutant Storm is also a worth iPad purchase for DSS lovers.

Zero Age is so good! I recommend it. The art style alone is wonderful but the puzzles are also challenging. Essentially you're moving blocks around and some can emit special beams from certain sides. Different colored beams have different properties. Green projects a one-block beam. Yellow projects a 3-block beam that pushes other blocks and your character away, also acting as an elevator if vertical. Figuring out to combine beams and maneuver blocks can be very tricky, even with the early puzzles.

awp69

Zero Age is so good! I recommend it. The art style alone is wonderful but the puzzles are also challenging. Essentially you're moving blocks around and some can emit special beams from certain sides. Different colored beams have different properties. Green projects a one-block beam. Yellow projects a 3-block beam that pushes other blocks and your character away, also acting as an elevator if vertical. That's only two colors; eventually you have 8 colors to use. Figuring out to combine beams and maneuver blocks can be very tricky, even with the early puzzles.

Have it in my backlog and have it tee'd up once I clear out some space.

Have it in my backlog and have it tee'd up once I clear out some space.
I was reading the online manual. Later colors let you teleport, freeze blocks in mid-air, create magnetic fields, redirect beams, and fire lasers. So I can imagine how complex later levels will be if the beginning levels with only a few colors are tricky

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So January 8th:
- Drop Wizard
- Sol Invictus
- Wizard Golf RPG

And Rex Rocket sometime this month

Drop Wizard looks like Snow Bros meets Rodland, if it controls right it'll be awesome, it truly looks and sound like a Super Famicom game. I welcome our 16-bit retro overlords, kinda sick of the 8-bit looks now, Shovel Knight was the perfect, godly, send-off.

Flunkie

Banned
Drop Wizard looks like Snow Bros meets Rodland, if it controls right it'll be awesome, it truly looks and sound like a Super Famicom game. I welcome our 16-bit retro overlords, kinda sick of the 8-bit looks now, Shovel Knight was the perfect, godly, send-off.
Pocket Gamer didn't like it

Edit: whoops, I meant Braveland Wizard

JCho133

Finally might be having a successful campaign in Enemy Unknown after like 4 or 5 failed ones (and one failed one in EW).

Then I can get to dumping hours in EW bc holy cow the early/mid game is damn hard in EW thanks to Exalt

Crabitron is awesome but I can play only in short bursts. Hands get cramped after a while. What an ingenious control scheme, up there with The Room, Device 6, and Monument Valley as the gold standard for what touchscreen is capable of

RM8

Game Dev Story is on sale, you guys need to buy it if you haven't played it. It's one of the games that made me believe in mobile :] I bought it again (since I first played it back in my Android days) and I'm addicted again.

okno

Finally bought 80 Days! A truly fantastic game, I can't believe I waited this long to play it. Made it around the world in 66 days on my first playthrough, although I will admit I did tend to choose the safer looking options. Only hit 18/148 cities, nearly died in an airship crash on my way to Singapore, was nearly kidnapped outside of Acapulco, had my passport stolen on a train to Madras by a 10-year old con artist, and punched the lights out of a rich man who mistook me for his daughter's lover.

Can't wait to see where my next journey takes me! I plan on hitting the Trans-Siberian Railroad this time.

awp69

Crabitron is awesome but I can only in short bursts. Hands get cramped after a while. What an ingenious control scheme, up there with The Room, Device 6, and Monument Valley as the gold standard for what touchscreen is capable of

I agree. It really is a fantastic adaptation of what touch screens can do. But I still wish there was an alternative control scheme because it is difficult to play for very long.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I have been wondering for weeks where the iOS monthly threads are - didnt know they are in the Community forum now.

Got an iPad Mini for Christmas - only downloaded Heartstone so far. Is 80 days as amazing as people say ? And how do the Telltale titles like The Wolf Amongs Us and Game of Thrones run on an iPad Mini Retina (2nd Gen)?

awp69

I have been wondering for weeks where the iOS monthly threads are - didnt know they are in the Community forum now

Got an iPad Mini for Christmas - only downloaded Heartstone so far. Is 80 days as amazing as people say ? And how do the Telltale titles like The Wolf Amongs Us and Game of Thrones run on an iPad Mini Retina (2nd Gen)?

80 Days is awesome. Don't have the Telltale games but every game I have thrown at my Mini 2 runs great. I doubt the Telltale games would be an exception though their games in general can be buggy on almost every device (even the console versions)..

I finished up the Banner Saga yesterday, I think it really picked up from a slow start. These games of so complex, I often find myself bewildered at first until I get the hang of things, and so to begin with I found the game a bit too obtuse. But when I got hold of the concepts like strength and the usefulness of archers it started to come together. I almost feel I could play it again, and I never feel like that.

I've also been playing Kingsroad which I don't see you folks talk about much. Although I can probably tell why, I'm 50/50 on the game myself. On the one hand, it's a gentle loot game with tap combat and feels a bit like Vain Glory at times. It has a pleasing feedback loop of loot and rewards and is faily fun to play, although not so much in the challenge dept. On the other hand, I'm starting to find it cloying with just the sheer amount of stuff it's throwing at me. Gems and coins and crafting and side missions and enchanting and tournaments and hey buy these gems and hey there's a sale and here's some loot and it's just OH MY GOD CHILL, GAME. I feel that this is all just a ruse and the freemium crap will start soon, but I'm not sure if I even want to play it, it's just so needy.

And I've been laying Modern Combat 5, my first attempt at really playing an iOS shooter. I'm still on the fence - it seems to work but it doesn't feel comfortable or really 'fun' in the same way a console shooter would be. I'm tempted to get a spare PS3 controller and use that, but then I think the game would probably get really easy since it's seems to be balanced with not being accurate in mind. The graphics are really impressive though, and the little multiplayer I tried was novel, if frustrating. I think I'm paranoid but I reckon everyone has real controllers.

killercow

I finished up the Banner Saga yesterday, I think it really picked up from a slow start. These games of so complex, I often find myself bewildered at first until I get the hang of things, and so to begin with I found the game a bit too obtuse. But when I got hold of the concepts like strength and the usefulness of archers it started to come together. I almost feel I could play it again, and I never feel like that.

I've also been playing Kingsroad which I don't see you folks talk about much. Although I can probably tell why, I'm 50/50 on the game myself. On the one hand, it's a gentle loot game with tap combat and feels a bit like Vain Glory at times. It has a pleasing feedback loop of loot and rewards and is faily fun to play, although not so much in the challenge dept. On the other hand, I'm starting to find it cloying with just the sheer amount of stuff it's throwing at me. Gems and coins and crafting and side missions and enchanting and tournaments and hey buy these gems and hey there's a sale and here's some loot and it's just OH MY GOD CHILL, GAME. I feel that this is all just a ruse and the freemium crap will start soon, but I'm not sure if I even want to play it, it's just so needy.

And I've been laying Modern Combat 5, my first attempt at really playing an iOS shooter. I'm still on the fence - it seems to work but it doesn't feel comfortable or really 'fun' in the same way a console shooter would be. I'm tempted to get a spare PS3 controller and use that, but then I think the game would probably get really easy since it's seems to be balanced with not being accurate in mind. The graphics are really impressive though, and the little multiplayer I tried was novel, if frustrating. I think I'm paranoid but I reckon everyone has real controllers.

Controllers aren't yet supported in MC5.

Flunkie

Banned
Oh god fuck me... got addicted to Madden Mobile, Tap Titans, and World of Warriors over the holidays.

Tap Titans is surprising because I hate clickers like Bitcoin Billionaire, but the RPG elemtns it has in it hooked me. My nephew is getting super into Madeen late,y so I created a league to play Madden with him in, and I'm not sure why the fuck I started playing World of Warriors since I had downloaded and deleted it two times before.

awp69

Wanted to put in a plug for another iPad-only game: Ephemerid.

Very cool, musical experience. Not exactly a game per se. You do interact with the scenes and music, but there's no scoring. The soundtrack is fantastic and it's just a great relaxing way to spend some time.

Oh, and it's currently free. :)

Finally got SpaceChem so now I'm hooked again. One of the best puzzle games ever made. If you want something challenging and rewarding, SpaceChem is just that

Holy s#@t, this is the most brain-melting puzzle game I have ever played. It's like trying to learn a new language or understand some form of complex mathematics. It's the kind of game where you stare at the first puzzle in a state of utter confusion, thrust into the deep end...but slowly and surely, you acclimate, you learn, you adapt. What was once a confusing mix of symbols becomes a test of logic and planning, refinement and perfection. Developing a successful solution is a cerebral victory unlike any other I've ever encountered

On the surface, SpaceChem seems hopelessly obtuse. Pseudo chemistry as you piece together molecules and then build pipelines and reactors to transport them, weird terminology and confusing concepts. Waldos, Psi, Alpha, beta, input, output.

But strip that away and SpaceChem is really about logic and constructing paths. You have input nodes that must be combined to form the output shape. You build complex paths that carry these nodes, bind them together, drop them off in the output area, and you must construct these paths in such a way that nodes don't intercept and the process can be looped over numerous trials. You place instructions along these paths for syncing actions, grabbing and dropping nodes, binding nodes, and more. It's complex and intricate and logic-based, and oh so addictive. It's the kind of engaging experience where you find yourself thinking about new solutions, better solutions when you're away from the game.

And success isn't the end. You can always refine and improve. Coming back to an early level, you'll see these puzzles with new eyes and new skills in mind and develop faster, more efficient solutions that you would have never considered possible on your first attempt

You must give SpaceChem a try if you enjoy challenging puzzle games that don't just test your logic and planning, but teach you to think in new ways

Seriously, SpaceChem. Not enough praise can be heaped onto it. It makes you feel like a genius. Play it if you never have and you like hard puzzle games.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Too bad the iCycle game is awful, the artstyle is amazing.

Btw, More Badass, I AM LEVEL is free at the moment,

Hope you guys grabbed Owen's Odyssey for FREE, posted the deal on my ios deals Twitter account but I don't think a single person clicked on the link, lol
bad mistake, game's cool

I got Don't Shoot Yourself a while ago, but it's definitely best played on iPad. Using the split-screen controls scheme is the perfect way to play the game on a big screen

Oh, and Rules is crazy addictive

How do you get relics in Tap Titans? I prestiged just now.
As far as I can tell, the only way you get more relics is 1 at level 80 on every playthrough, and the rest by prestiging again.
I am on third playthrough right now, I bought 3 artifacts and levelled one once with what I got so far, but I think next prestiging won't earn me enough to buy a 4rth artifact.
Currently it takes few hours getting from lev 0 to lev 420, then the same amount to get to 500, then with the hand of midas skill again a few hours to reach 600.

Gah, picked up a mini 2 over Christmas and it had iOS 8 on by default. I thought they shipped with 7? There goes my chance to replay Ghost Trick!

Although I do have it installed on my iPad 4, did I read somewhere that it will work if I back up my copy from the 4 and restore it on the mini?

FerranMG

How do you get relics in Tap Titans? I prestiged just now.

One relic every 10 stages starting at 80 (ie, 80, 90, 100...)
Prestiging gives you relics depending on the number of stages beaten and the level of your heroes.

I've been playing this nonstop for the last 2 weeks.. :$

okno

One relic every 10 stages starting at 80 (ie, 80, 90, 100...)
Prestiging gives you relics depending on the number of stages beaten and the level of your heroes.

I've been playing this nonstop for the last 2 weeks.. :$

What exactly happens when you prestige? Does everything reset: money, heroes, skills? Or do you keep your money and heroes, but your own skills reset?

awp69

Zero Age is so good! I recommend it. The art style alone is wonderful but the puzzles are also challenging. Essentially you're moving blocks around and some can emit special beams from certain sides. Different colored beams have different properties. Green projects a one-block beam. Yellow projects a 3-block beam that pushes other blocks and your character away, also acting as an elevator if vertical. Figuring out to combine beams and maneuver blocks can be very tricky, even with the early puzzles.

Got around to installing this and it is pretty cool. I feel like the controls are a little cumbersome though and don't always work as I expect them to. For instance, I understand the whole concept of only being able to move the blocks on the same plain, but sometimes I have trouble even getting that to work.

I'll keep playing to see how much further I can get. Thinking this may be a game that works better on PC.

EDIT: Scratch that. Looks like it isn't available on PC. Oh well, I like the concepts just feel like I'm fighting the controls.

Top Bottom