• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Dec/Jan: GET

gazele

Banned
What exactly happens when you prestige? Does everything reset: money, heroes, skills? Or do you keep your money and heroes, but your own skills reset?

You completely start over but with the relics active

Prestiged once, probably gonna do it a second time soon, but deciding when is hard

Fuck, it worked. I'm a genius. :p

MDCLOgX.jpg

No other puzzle game can provide the same satisfaction you get when you see your plan come together in SpaceChem

FerranMG

What exactly happens when you prestige? Does everything reset: money, heroes, skills? Or do you keep your money and heroes, but your own skills reset?

What gazele said.
I've prestiged three times. First one at around stage 110. Second one, 180. Third one, 240, more or less.

The artifacts make it much easier to breeze through the first stages, and give you powerful boosts.
My advice is to salvage the artifacts you get as soon as possible if you don't like them. (ie, if the don't give a money-related boost).

awp69

Yes, it's an iOS thread, but for any bi-OS people, there's two five-star Android freebies on Amazon right now: Zengrams and Inferno 2.

EDIT: Inferno 2 is dead.

okno

What gazele said.
I've prestiged three times. First one at around stage 110. Second one, 180. Third one, 240, more or less.

The artifacts make it much easier to breeze through the first stages, and give you powerful boosts.
My advice is to salvage the artifacts you get as soon as possible if you don't like them. (ie, if the don't give a money-related boost).

Thanks, guys! One thing I'm wondering is: what should I be pumping my money into primarily? I'm still on my first run, and I feel like I'm hitting a pretty severe wall at stage 89. I'm at level 589 and I have 20 heroes, with the first few at lvl400, a few at 200, and the rest at 25-50. I feel as though I have spent too much gold leveling up the weaker guys. I'm also confused on how the gold drop increase works. Does the drop increase when you clear a stage, or once you reach a new area? It seems to just arbitrarily go up every once in a while :/

gazele

Banned
Thanks, guys! One thing I'm wondering is: what should I be pumping my money into primarily? I'm still on my first run, and I feel like I'm hitting a pretty severe wall at stage 89. I'm at level 589 and I have 20 heroes, with the first few at lvl400, a few at 200, and the rest at 25-50. I feel as though I have spent too much gold leveling up the weaker guys. I'm also confused on how the gold drop increase works. Does the drop increase when you clear a stage, or once you reach a new area? It seems to just arbitrarily go up every once in a while :/

In general you want to give boosts to the heroes further down the list, they have much higher DPS, the only reason I'd do lower is if they are close to a boost level (200,400 etc.) Look to see how much a level adds to the DPS of your most expensive hero in relation to your total DPS, it's probably pretty close to a 1/4 or even 1/2

If you're consistently having trouble beating a boss I'd consider prestiging soon too if you want to

Einbroch

Banned
Tap Titans run-down, as I've been playing it a lot:

1. There are good heroes, and there are bad heroes. Only upgrade good heroes initially. Good heroes are heroes with +0.4% tap damage, gold drops, and +% hero damage twice. Mila, Macelord, and Skulptor are DPS machines early. Upgrade your older heroes once you have a ton of money to blow. Usually I wait until the -gg stages of money then go back and level all the older heroes to 800.

2. Salvage shitty relics. Don't be afraid to salvage them. Go for ones with +gold, -Midas cooldown, and +Midas duration, if you can. Relics get really expensive, so salvage the bad ones. It's worth it.

3. Tap damage is amazing early, pretty awful in the 60-200 stage level range, then it becomes your number one source of damage 200+, especially with the crit relic. Do not level your main character past level 600, it's completely pointless. Get the +0.4% damage increase from your heroes when you can, it's the best upgrade bar-none.

4. Don't push yourself through a boss. Every 5 levels you face a boss that can kill your heroes. Go all the way up to them, and if you can't kill them in 10 seconds, don't risk it. Just tap the "leave" button in the upper right. There's no shame in farming for a bit then going back, as there's no worse feeling than having 90% of your DPS die from a boss, only to leave you worthless for 10+ hours.

okno

4. Don't push yourself through a boss. Every 5 levels you face a boss that can kill your heroes. Go all the way up to them, and if you can't kill them in 10 seconds, don't risk it. Just tap the "leave" button in the upper right. There's no shame in farming for a bit then going back, as there's no worse feeling than having 90% of your DPS die from a boss, only to leave you worthless for 10+ hours.

Wait, your heroes can die? I haven't experienced anything like this up to this point! When does this come into play? I've failed many a boss and never lost anyone.

Einbroch

Banned
Wait, your heroes can die? I haven't experienced anything like this up to this point! When does this come into play? I've failed many a boss and never lost anyone.

Heroes can die, but it's only a temporary death. Bosses (the ones every 5 levels, not the ones every level) can kill a hero. They're out of commission for anywhere from 2-24 hours. You lose all passives and all DPS from that hero during that time.

You can revive them for diamonds, but that can be expensive. Hero deaths come into play at level 50+.

A familiar phrase among this thread, but I didn't know Flockers was coming to IOS! It's a really cool Lemmings-style game from the devs of Worms, with cool physics-based traps and puzzles and tons of blood and gore. I got on PC when it was still in Early Access, and it's really fun and challenging. Now that I think about it, the controls always seemed like they'd be better suited for touch. For $2, that's a steal

Flockers by Team17 Software Ltd
https://appsto.re/us/vaLY1.i

Here's the PC trailer
http://youtu.be/8QE9tZN319g

I don't know if it's the full game or a stripped-down mobile version, though

awp69

^^^ Thanks for posting about that. Had looked at the console version but was turned off by mediocre reviews. But for $2, I might give the mobile version a go.

^^^ Thanks for posting about that. Had looked at the console version but was turned off by mediocre reviews. But for $2, I might give the mobile version a go.
Watched some gameplay. Definitely not the same as the main version. Same concept, but it's been dialed down for mobile. Smaller, less complex levels and less sheep

gazele

Banned
Tap Titans run-down, as I've been playing it a lot:

1. There are good heroes, and there are bad heroes. Only upgrade good heroes initially. Good heroes are heroes with +0.4% tap damage, gold drops, and +% hero damage twice. Mila, Macelord, and Skulptor are DPS machines early. Upgrade your older heroes once you have a ton of money to blow. Usually I wait until the -gg stages of money then go back and level all the older heroes to 800.

2. Salvage shitty relics. Don't be afraid to salvage them. Go for ones with +gold, -Midas cooldown, and +Midas duration, if you can. Relics get really expensive, so salvage the bad ones. It's worth it.

3. Tap damage is amazing early, pretty awful in the 60-200 stage level range, then it becomes your number one source of damage 200+, especially with the crit relic. Do not level your main character past level 600, it's completely pointless. Get the +0.4% damage increase from your heroes when you can, it's the best upgrade bar-none.

I need to salvage relics, but it's hard to let go of any haha

awp69

Watched some gameplay. Definitely not the same as the main version. Same concept, but it's been dialed down for mobile. Smaller, less complex levels and less sheep

Guess for $2 I shouldn't have expected the same game. Still might try it to get a taste to see if I would like the console version.

I thought this looked pretty cool. It's a voice controlled "playable story" from Daniel Wilson, author of Robopocalypse and Amped

IOS Universal, $2.99
Answer a mayday call from a lone survivor stranded on a derelict spaceship. Only you can help your survivor make it off a ship overrun by virus-infected crew members. Use 10+ voice commands to guide your friend to safety through 5 levels of increasing mayhem – all while uncovering the terrible secret behind what happened to the crew of the USS Appaloosa.

A "playable story" that is part audio book and part video game, Mayday! Deep Space™ will take you on a thrilling, frightening trip to the bleeding edge of science fiction -- and shock you with an unforgettable twist in its final moments.

Mayday! Deep Space™ was created and written by the roboticist-turned-author behind bestselling techno-thrillers such as Robopocalypse, Robogenesis, Amped, and How to Survive a Robot Uprising

4 UNIQUE ENDINGS
Experience 4 completely unique outcomes based on the decisions you make during the game. Will you betray your survivor? Is it worth killing another person for a chance to stay alive? Who is responsible for the atrocities committed aboard this enigmatic ship?

SPEECH RECOGNITION
Mayday! Deep Space™ uses the latest Apple hardware to employ speech recognition that creates a personal interaction between you and your survivor. Using spoken commands, you will calm and guide a distressed survivor who is depending on your voice to live!

EXPLORATION & EASTER EGGS
The derelict planetary survey ship USS Appaloosa is a treasure trove of astonishing secrets. Discover them as you explore 5 levels of exquisitely mapped decks, including the bridge, hangar bays, crew quarters, airlocks, medical bay, research stations, war rooms and much more.

Voiced by Osric Chau (Supernatural), Bitsie Tulloch and Claire Coffee (Grimm)

Saw these impressions on another forum
This is just one of those games you know is gonna become a classic on the App Store. Even putting aside the entire voice recognition "gimmick" (which works bloody flawlessly by the way), you HAVE to check this out. It's immersive, captivating and screams originality. Not only is the voice acting superb, the sound effects instantly take these little dots you see on your screen and bring them to nightmarish life inside your head. It's a beauty to behold.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I thought this looked pretty cool. It's a voice controlled "playable story" from Daniel Wilson, author of Robopocalypse and Amped

IOS Universal, $2.99

Voiced by Osric Chau (Supernatural), Bitsie Tulloch and Claire Coffee (Grimm)

Saw these impressions on another forum

Looks good! It's called "Mayday! Deep Space" by the way, I noticed you didn't mention it in the post.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hm, 25 pages. Isn't that some sort of record? I thought moving over to community was supposed to (indirectly) lower the amounts of posts per thread, not increase :)

flowsnake

Hm, 25 pages. Isn't that some sort of record? I thought moving over to community was supposed to (indirectly) lower the amounts of posts per thread, not increase :)

Seems like a seasonal thing. The December 2013 thread is longer and it didn't have an extra week. I'd be interested to see how many people posted in each thread too.

Seems like a seasonal thing. The December 2013 thread is longer and it didn't have an extra week. I'd be interested to see how many people posted in each thread too.

I guess there's stuff like sales and the posting that comes from that, as well as the general seasonal excitement.

okno

Heroes can die, but it's only a temporary death. Bosses (the ones every 5 levels, not the ones every level) can kill a hero. They're out of commission for anywhere from 2-24 hours. You lose all passives and all DPS from that hero during that time.

You can revive them for diamonds, but that can be expensive. Hero deaths come into play at level 50+.

Yep, this happened last night in the middle of a boss battle. Got the guy halfway down when A HERO HAS DIED flashed across the screen. Thankfully, it was just Jordaan so my DPS was hardly affected, but it took me by surprise. I don't believe the death element comes into play until you prestige once, because I reqched stage 93 on my first play and it never happened, but after prestige it happened to me on stage 55.

Matt Frost

First big release of 2015? Nitrome's Gunbrick releases today. Here's the NZ store link:
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/gunbrick/id757864890?mt=8

ZfPEm4F.jpg

That game looks nice, I will buy it but I probably wont play it much... I been doing a lot of PS4 gaming lately and I think I am back into console gaming. There are a lot of great looking releasing coming up plus Advanced Warfare, Dragon Age,... Lately my phone have been more like a regular phone with whatsapp and mail and calls rather than a gaming device. I even forgot about PocketGamer for a few week much less that forum... Getting out if touch so much I forgot that today was a release day. Moving over I guess...

That game looks nice, I will buy it but I probably wont play it much... I been doing a lot of PS4 gaming lately and I think I am back into console gaming. There are a lot of great looking releasing coming up plus Advanced Warfare, Dragon Age,... Lately my phone have been more like a regular phone with whatsapp and mail and calls rather than a gaming device. I even forgot about PocketGamer for a few week much less that forum... Getting out if touch so much I forgot that today was a release day. Moving over I guess...

There's nothing wrong with enjoying things in cycles. I would be more concerned if you were exactly the same level of interested in something forever. Like people who are 30 and still like Pokemon (I'm 20 so it's still OK LOL!).

awp69

Long time no see, Matt. I (well, my kids) got a PS4 for Christmas and already have an Xbox One (spoiled brats). Unfortunately they spend way more time with the consoles than I do. Mobile is still my usual thing just due to time constraints and the ability to just play a quick game here and there.

Loving finally playing The Last of Us though and putting in some time into GTA V. The PS+ freebie The Swapper seems pretty awesome. I think it would be a good candidate for a mobile release.

Back to iOS thoughts, as an old school brick breaker fan, I'd recommend anyone that likes the genre check out Impulse, which is free with a premium $1.99 unlock that I think gives you access to all levels upfront (and I think a few extra ones).

Great visuals and absorbing soundtrack. One of the better brick breakers in recent memory. Which also leads me to mention that if you have Grey Cubes, might want to pass on the new update. It adds micro transactions to buy power ups. Not sure if the balance changed along with it but not going to update to find out.

killercow

Long time no see, Matt. I (well, my kids) got a PS4 for Christmas and already have an Xbox One (spoiled brats). Unfortunately they spend way more time with the consoles than I do. Mobile is still my usual thing just due to time constraints and the ability to just play a quick game here and there.

Loving finally playing The Last of Us though and putting in some time into GTA V. The PS+ freebie The Swapper seems pretty awesome. I think it would be a good candidate for a mobile release.

Back to iOS thoughts, as an old school brick breaker fan, I'd recommend anyone that likes the genre check out Impulse, which is free with a premium $1.99 unlock that I think gives you access to all levels upfront (and I think a few extra ones).

Great visuals and absorbing soundtrack. One of the better brick breakers in recent memory. Which also leads me to mention that if you have Grey Cubes, might want to pass on the new update. It adds micro transactions to buy power ups. Not sure if the balance changed along with it but not going to update to find out.

The Swapper was really amazing. One of the best puzzler with Portal 1/2.

awp69

The Swapper was really amazing. One of the best puzzler with Portal 1/2.

Yeah, I've been really impressed with it. Love the atmosphere too.

-------

I was wondering if, at this point, if maybe the OP could just change the thread title to January? Seems kind of silly to bother with a new thread already being a week into the month.

Doesn't matter to me either way as long as people keep frequenting this one!

neoism

We'll I just got an iPad mini 2 and was wonder is the 8.1 update a must for it ? It came with 7.0.4 and I do get safari crashes every once in a while man I wish I had decided to get it a week before so I wouldnt have missed the sale. What some great games for it.... Also WTF is up with fucking square making me buy Final fanasty tactics again cant fucking believe them ...:/ was looking forward to playing that on my mini but already got the iPhone version fucking sqaureenix......

Gaf mobile is awesome on it though....

awp69

We'll I just got an iPad mini 2 and was wonder is the 8.1 update a must for it ? It came with 7.0.4 and I do get safari crashes every once in a while man I wish I had decided to get it a week before so I wouldnt have missed the sale. What some great games for it.... Also WTF is up with fucking square making me buy Final fanasty tactics again cant fucking believe them ...:/ was looking forward to playing that on my mini but already got the iPhone version fucking sqaureenix......

Gaf mobile is awesome on it though....

No reason you have to update to 8.1. There are some games, including some Square-Enix ones, that still haven't been updated for it.

But if you do, it is very stable and you get things like Metal graphic effects.

And, yeah, prior to getting a mini 2 myself, I never realized just how frustrating it is when an app is not Universal. Final Fantasy Tactics, The World Ends With You as well as Cave shmups were among those I unhappily found that my versions were iPhone only. Especially when The World Ends WithYou costs like $20.

Edit: fixing my egregious error in the game I meant to call out (TWEWY)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The locked app situation in The World Ends With You is pretty scummy (can't run the iPhone version on iPad), but for what it's worth the iPhone version of Final Fantasy Tactics runs on iPads and it scales very nicely. neoism, since you already have FFT on iPhone try it on the iPad with the fullscreen button, there's no reason to double dip imo.

The locked app situation in The World Ends With You is pretty scummy (can't run the iPhone version on iPad), but for what it's worth the iPhone version of Final Fantasy Tactics runs on iPads and it scales very nicely. neoism, since you already have FFT on iPhone try it on the iPad with the fullscreen button, there's no reason to double dip imo.

Only if you got the iPad version before they released the iPhone version.

Unless I'm misremembering.

Top Bottom