• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Dec/Jan: GET

Any verdict on Drop Wizard?

As for Wizard Golf RPG. Currently 2/5 for me:
Presentation is a little rough.
Controls are a little annoying.
Course design is uninspiring.

But the concept is great.

I hope they address the issues in updates.

I've been playing kotor on the iPad fora couple hours. I dig it but steam has it on sale for $4.99. Should I give up on the iOS version and play it on pc?
I don't want to get too far off topic, but I would definitely recommend the PC version over the iOS version of KOTOR. Mods alone make the PC version vastly superior, not to mention the controls and framerate will be superior as well. I just recently reinstalled KOTOR I and II on a fresh Windows 8.1 64-bit PC and it's running fine, so compatibility shouldn't be an issue either.

sheaaaa

A recommendation for Gunbrick - it's really a puzzle platform game in which you try and get the right side of your brick facing the right direction. Nitrome then squeezes everything they possibly can out of the idea, with new mechanics and ideas in every stage. The pixel art is lively and fabulously detailed. They've really established themselves as a developer to watch.

A recommendation for Gunbrick - it's really a puzzle platform game in which you try and get the right side of your brick facing the right direction. Nitrome then squeezes everything they possibly can out of the idea, with new mechanics and ideas in every stage. The pixel art is lively and fabulously detailed. They've really established themselves as a developer to watch.
Have you played any of their flash games? I've been a fan of their games for years; they always deliver interesting concepts with their unique visual style and usual polish

I'd recommend checking out
Fault Line - http://www.nitrome.com/games/faultline/
Coil - http://www.nitrome.com/games/coil/
Changetype - http://www.nitrome.com/games/changetype/
Canary - http://www.nitrome.com/games/canary/
Turn Undead - http://www.nitrome.com/games/turnundead/

SeanNoonan

Forgot to post this, but Jack B. Nimble got featured :)

B6tbH9-CUAAoMHZ.png

Resulted in a slight sales bump in Europe too!

Edit: never realised before, but it's weird to have my game listed alongside one of my employer's games... :D

chris121580

Space Marshal is so much better than Meltdown IMO. Just the fact that you can aim without shooting and can cancel your shots tell you that this isn't your typical dual-stuck shooter. Stealth is a tool in your arsenal rather than the focus, allowing you to flank enemies, get critical hits, trick enemies into grouping up to take them out with grenades. The controls feel tight and are very responsive, allowing you to seamless crouch and move into cover or swap guns. A hub area between areas let you modify your loadout and gear, from various body armor and grenades to SMGs, assault rifles, sawed-off shotguns, and more. The visuals are detailed, the environments are varied, and the shooting feels satisfying
I totally agree. Game is fantastic. A complete steal for 5 bucks

awp69

You know that Mujo free game of the week from Apple is actually pretty good. Oddly hadn't even heard of it prior to the Apple pick. It's no Hero Emblems but it has a nice clean interface and a bit different take on the match-3 combat thing. Worth a download. But at 300 MB, I'll stick with Hero Emblems for my RPG puzzling.

sheaaaa

Have you played any of their flash games? I've been a fan of their games for years; they always deliver interesting concepts with their unique visual style and usual polish

I'd recommend checking out
Fault Line - http://www.nitrome.com/games/faultline/
Coil - http://www.nitrome.com/games/coil/
Changetype - http://www.nitrome.com/games/changetype/
Canary - http://www.nitrome.com/games/canary/
Turn Undead - http://www.nitrome.com/games/turnundead/

I played Icebreaker back in Flash, which is why they've been on my radar since and I snapped up the iOS version. Thanks for the recommends, I'll check them out.

PittaGAF

Hero Emblems is insanely good.
The care you have to put in preparing 5-chain emblems before the bosses is fantastic.
Some of them are really brutal.

PittaGAF

Is there any endless / skirmish mode? or is it just a one play sort of thing?

Not that I know.
Right now I'm about 10 hours in already and I'm just following the story still on the first continent (game is huge).
It's a Puzzle JRPG...I get the same vibes I got from PQ even if they are mechanically different.
At this very moment I was just annihilated by a Boss...so now I'm wandering around changing Emblems and skills to beat him.
It's really fun and well done (tough English native speakers can be bothered by the Engrish, or so I've read), I'm loving it (awesome graphics too, some cutscenes and spells are amazing, use of blur, tilt shift, parallax etc...).

EDIT: another 'similar' game is Lunar Story....this is like the Puzzle version of it.

Oynox

I need some game recommendations... for my mum. :D

We bought her an iPad Air 2 for christmas and I downloaded her Monument Valley shortly afterwards. Since then, she played the game and the DLC until yesterday. It is fantastic, because my Mum never was really into gaming. That is why I need some recommendations for similar games, or games, which could amuse a mid 50 woman.

I thought about Machinarium as next game, or Tiny Bang Story. I guess the games should be somewhat "slow", but have nice graphics. And she prefers peaceful stories without violence.

Do you guys have any ideas? :)

killercow

I need some game recommendations... for my mum. :D

We bought her an iPad Air 2 for christmas and I downloaded her Monument Valley shortly afterwards. Since then, she played the game and the DLC until yesterday. It is fantastic, because my Mum never was really into gaming. That is why I need some recommendations for similar games, or games, which could amuse a mid 50 woman.

I thought about Machinarium as next game, or Tiny Bang Story. I guess the games should be somewhat "slow", but have nice graphics. And she prefers peaceful stories without violence.

Do you guys have any ideas? :)

She might like:

- The Sailor's Dream
- Device 6
- Jacob Jones
- Phoenix Wright
- Botanicula
- The Inner World
- Bertram Fiddle
- Tengami
- Broken Age

The Cut The Rope series could also be interesting, I've known quite a few people that didn't like games before but became addicted to it!

awp69

It's running late this month.

The OP sure is a daunting prospect for anyone who might want to cover Tunesmith.

I mentioned before that I'm fine with continuing to use this thread since we're so far into January as it is. If we could just get the name changed to "December/January" at least that might help to avoid confusion over looking for a January thread.

okno

Not that I know.
Right now I'm about 10 hours in already and I'm just following the story still on the first continent (game is huge).
It's a Puzzle JRPG...I get the same vibes I got from PQ even if they are mechanically different.
At this very moment I was just annihilated by a Boss...so now I'm wandering around changing Emblems and skills to beat him.
It's really fun and well done (tough English native speakers can be bothered by the Engrish, or so I've read), I'm loving it (awesome graphics too, some cutscenes and spells are amazing, use of blur, tilt shift, parallax etc...).

EDIT: another 'similar' game is Lunar Story....this is like the Puzzle version of it.

The bosses are no joke! I'm only up to the Red Demon, but he SLAUGHTERED my team in about four moves. I made barely a dent in his health in that time, it was really shocking. Got to spend a little time and level up and purchase some new emblems. Although, wandering around can be quite dangerous, I've learned. I entered the South Graveyeard and was destroyed in one hit by these three skeleton warriors ;_;

Really loving this game. You really can't treat the game like it's just a puzzle game. The RPG elements really set this one apart. It looks and feels like a true JRPG and it definitely is not afraid to kick your butt.

awp69

Not that I know.

The bosses are no joke! I'm only up to the Red Demon, but he SLAUGHTERED my team in about four moves. I made barely a dent in his health in that time, it was really shocking. Got to spend a little time and level up and purchase some new emblems. Although, wandering around can be quite dangerous, I've learned. I entered the South Graveyeard and was destroyed in one hit by these three skeleton warriors ;_;

Really loving this game. You really can't treat the game like it's just a puzzle game. The RPG elements really set this one apart. It looks and feels like a true JRPG and it definitely is not afraid to kick your butt.

Yep, got up to my first battle against the Red Demon and beat him, but was within just a few hit points of dying myself. Finding the bosses weakness is key or you will die. And you absolutely have to make sure you are constantly healing your party. Purchasing emblems at towns is also important. Much more depth and more of an RPG than any of it's counterparts.

Bloody good game. Period.

Even the Engrish isn't that bad. Some of the conversations and text is actually pretty impressive for a non native speaking dev to try to write (surely he did have someone help with translation). Not to say there aren't some fixes that could be made.

There simply isn't another match-3 RPG as good as this one on iOS. And I've played many, many of them.

Oynox

She might like:

- The Sailor's Dream
- Device 6
- Jacob Jones
- Phoenix Wright
- Botanicula
- The Inner World
- Bertram Fiddle
- Tengami
- Broken Age

The Cut The Rope series could also be interesting, I've known quite a few people that didn't like games before but became addicted to it!

Oh, great, I totally forgot about Botanicula. I guess she will like this game as garden lover.

RedSwirl

I just noticed this game hasn't been mentioned in an iOS gaming thread. If you're curious about what the main gameplay loop of No Man's Sky is going to be like, Unknown 3D Space Trader might provide a tiny glimpse:
https://appsto.re/us/ROI4D.i

The game isn't exactly new but is optimized for the 6 and 6 Plus. It's pretty much a straight-up port of the original Elite (look that up if you don't know what that is). I think the touch controls work really well and are a lot easier to remember than the old keyboard scheme.

PittaGAF

On second continent now in Hero Emblems.
Changing emblems and skills to adapt to the various monsters...and they keep adding things (like petrify or ice and so on).

I'm really impressed, it keeps getting better and better.
No casual puzzle for sure, every move counts, expecially against bosses where saving the S-Emblems is crucial.

Another great thing about the game is that it's so light on battery, always appreciated, expecially when it's so addicting and hours fly.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Boson X is nuts. Hard to put down too. Not sure where I got the idea that it was a slower paced game, but boy was I wrong lol.

PittaGAF

Hero Emblems - is the match 3 style single move (Bejeweled), or drag one tile anywhere wishing a period of time (P&D)?

Single move, like in PQ, even if mechanics are a bit different.
They seem very simple at first, but they really get a huge thing later on.
Enemies attacks after a certain amount of turns, then the counter resets.
Tons of buffs/debuffs, expecially later on.

You basically have 3 types of moves:

Normal 3 match...you attack/defend/protect/heal according to the emblem matched, but it really doesn't do much, even if chained (chains basically mean nothing in this game).
4-match: you create a glowing emblem that if matched after that creates a normal Emblem attack (now you are doing some damage, and activate skills if you have them).
5-match: the most important...you will want to manipulate the board to have this, especially during the fights that precede a boss/mini boss, and save the cross Emblems for final stage.
A 5-match creates a bigger emblem (generic, a glowing cross) that you can swap with ANY icon, generating a Super Emblem attack of the same kind.
This is a HUGE attack/DEFENCE/HEAL/DEBUFF etc... that do some serious damage, providing the enemy is not immune to that particular attack (in that case you will want to change your skills/emblem type to prevent this...but you can do this only after you have died :p).

A tip: I found the game much easier if you focus in shield (the knight) and heal/debuffs (the cleric) Emblems first.
Your top priority in the first continent is getting Emblems...forget about skills at first.
After a bit you will see some bosses seems impossibile at first, then, with the right combos, get relatively easy.
Well...nothing is really easy in the game...you will always beat bosses for a heir with last move before dying, and you will feel like a true hero :)

Anilones

PittaGAF can be a little hyperbolic at times, but Hero Emblems really is a superb game (game being the main word here, rather than a match-3 puzzler). My weekend was taken up entirely by it with more than 10 hours being played.

PittaGAF

PittaGAF can be a little hyperbolic at times, but Hero Emblems really is a superb game (game being the main word here, rather than a match-3 puzzler). My weekend was taken up entirely by it with more than 10 hours being played.

:)))
I can't stop my enthusiasm!!!
Ever!!!
Also, my limited English is...limited.
I know only GLORIOUS, AWESOME, FANTASTIC and very little else :p

Awesome game anyway, I spent the week end saving 5-chains emblems!!!

Flunkie

Banned
Good, I'll buy it then. I've come to loathe the "drag around the screen" type games because it seems way too fudgey and requires more thought that I want out of a match 3 game.

colinp

Banned
:)))
I can't stop my enthusiasm!!!
Ever!!!
Also, my limited English is...limited.
I know only GLORIOUS, AWESOME, FANTASTIC and very little else :p

Awesome game anyway, I spent the week end saving 5-chains emblems!!!

Ahahaha, you're the best Pitta! Don't ever change. ;)

PittaGAF

Good, I'll buy it then. I've come to loathe the "drag around the screen" type games because it seems way too fudgey and requires more thought that I want out of a match 3 game.

It is an awesome game but beware, it's not casual at all.
It's a RPG first and foremost and the 'way to the boss' (you have always 5-10 encounters before the boss) is critical and must be played with great attention to build 5-match Emblems, or you will die (and start over with the initial loot).
The only casual thing in the game are the random encounters, which are pretty easy after a bit.

If you want a PQ-like experience, but much more casual, Gems of War is a better bet (personally I like both game's mechanics but I prefer Hero Emblems as a whole, being a JRPG).

Matt Frost

Damn I read on some forum that Darkin was pulled and I checked and it isnt there... damn I really liked that game... bummer...

Oh, and that place banned one of my IPs (dinamic IP so its fixed) so there sure dont like me... I will send tons of hateful emails to Eli Hoddap now, dude you dont know who you are messing with xD

Also, Gunbricks is pretty darn good and amazing at the same time! Recommended.

Also got Drop Wizard and is fun and varied, does the controls nice and is tight. Good stuff.

Flunkie

Banned
^lol they love to ban there
It is an awesome game but beware, it's not casual at all.
It's a RPG first and foremost and the 'way to the boss' (you have always 5-10 encounters before the boss) is critical and must be played with great attention to build 5-match Emblems, or you will die (and start over with the initial loot).
The only casual thing in the game are the random encounters, which are pretty easy after a bit.

If you want a PQ-like experience, but much more casual, Gems of War is a better bet (personally I like both game's mechanics but I prefer Hero Emblems as a whole, being a JRPG).
oh no, I definitely want it.
I was thinking the other day that I wanted a hybrid of a Puzzle Quest single match 3and Pokemon monster collecting and evolving game. No Heroes Allowed on Vita has got me wanting a better game with the same core.

Ace 8095

It seems the most effective way to beat bosses in Hero Emblems is to save 5 chain emblems until the boss and then use them with the shield emblem to avoid damage for the next few turns.

I'm not sure if that's fun.

awp69

It seems the most effective way to beat bosses in Hero Emblems is to save 5 chain emblems until the boss and then use them with the shield emblem to avoid damage for the next few turns.

Not sure if that's the only way. But, to me, the need for that kind of strategic thought process is what makes the game so much better than all the other rpg puzzle hybrids.

Anyone hear about this game? Saw it mentioned on Pocket Tactics and it sounds really cool. Releasing later this year

Stratolith
Stratolith is an electronic warfare simulator in which the player controls the defense system of a floating city ("Stratolith") that is under attack from remote controlled aerial drones. Gameplay centers around hacking the control signal of hostile drones and repurposing them to attack each other. The game will feature a large range of different drone models all with unique capabilities and characteristics.

VRuZS7t.jpg

okno

That's just one strategy, and not exactly an easy one. That's what I did to defeat the Red Demon, but found myself having to really think ahead with my swaps once I had three chain emblems on the board. I had to sacrifice one at one point, because a treasure chest appeared and the key landed on a column with a chain emblem.

My biggest beef with the game is how little money you gain from battles. It's taking forever and a ton of grinding to build up my team in these early stages.

PittaGAF

That's just one strategy, and not exactly an easy one. That's what I did to defeat the Red Demon, but found myself having to really think ahead with my swaps once I had three chain emblems on the board. I had to sacrifice one at one point, because a treasure chest appeared and the key landed on a column with a chain emblem.

I hate sacrificing my hard earned 5-match Emblems for those chests too....

My biggest beef with the game is how little money you gain from battles. It's taking forever and a ton of grinding to build up my team in these early stages.

Later on money it's not a 'problem' anymore and grinding is not really that necessary or invasive as before some bosses in the first continent.
Use the crystal cave in the first continent to spam money....keep in mind that one path always has the chest, the other path always has the dwarf (a Golden Axe easter egg) which you can kick for money (and if you go back there when much more powerful, you will get 3-400 per run).
Takes less than 10 minutes to get 2K for the first emblems (if you want to get all before leaving the island...but do not worry, you can get those later too).

flowsnake

Shame it is missing the expansions (iirc) which add a ton to the game. The HoM&M 3 everyone loves is with the added content from the expansions, Shadow of Death and Armageddon's Blade.

I guess it is still better than nothing though. Maybe they'll release them as DLC down the road.

I believe they stated that the code/assets for the expansions are lost because New World Computing didn't provide them after the acquisition of the IP.

gazele

Banned
I guess it's actually pretty old but did anyone enjoy Band Stars?

It's basically Game Dev Story for a band, F2P, made by Halfbrick

Picked it up a few days ago and enjoying it so far, not sure if there will be a wall that I seem to hit with all F2P games

Minsc

Gold Member
Is it? I don't remember ever playing the expansions, but I still loved the game. Do the expansions add units or new factions, or are they just new campaigns?

It's been a while, so I had to look it up myself, but according to wiki:

The most significant change in Armageddon's Blade is the addition of the Conflux, bringing the total number of alignments in Heroes III to nine. The town is themed around classical elements, and includes other creatures to round out the selection. Six new campaigns were included, one acting as a continuation of the base game's storyline, with the other five revolving around adventures taking place in the same fictional world. Over 35 single scenarios were also added.
Returning as non-aligned units, several creature types from previous Heroes games make an appearance. These include Peasants, Boars, and Halflings. The expansion also introduced some new non-aligned creature types, such as the powerful Azure Dragon. Eleven new campaign heroes and two new artifacts – Armageddon's Blade and the Vial of Dragonblood – were introduced as well. Several new map objects, including special quest towers that only allow passage if the hero meets certain criteria defined by the author of the map, also appear here for the first time.
A random map generator included with the expansion allows players to create random maps using a variety of customizable parameters. Finally, a standalone campaign editor packaged with the game allows for the composition of new campaigns from individual scenario maps.

The Shadow of Death includes seven new campaigns with adjustable difficulty settings. The expansion also includes twelve new artifacts, minor balance tweaks and eight new terrain types designed to enhance hero attributes such as morale, luck and magic expertise. Each faction remains fundamentally unaltered. Additionally, the expansion introduces a fifth artifact equipment slot for all heroes, and ten new types of teleporters for use on the Adventure Map. A major addition is the inclusion of "combination artifacts", that is, artifacts pieced together from other artifacts. The combination artifacts bestow extremely powerful abilities, and feature prominently in the campaigns. The expansion pack also significantly improves the map editor, including new portraits for four of the new campaign heroes - Sandro, Finneas, Yog and Gem - and other customization options.

So some pretty significant changes. A lot of people probably have picked up the Complete Edition, which bundles it all together. The big stuff being the random map generator, new faction, and additional creatures to the game. Definitely adds some great content.

The expansions really bring the dragons out in full force, it feels like they double them and get a lot more diversity to the game. The Faerie Dragons were so fun even if you did need the RNG to be on your side for them to shine.

I believe they stated that the code/assets for the expansions are lost because New World Computing didn't provide them after the acquisition of the IP.

Interesting. It hasn't stopped the community from opening the game up and altering from head to feet. Shame they can't use the exiting products, and get them worked in to their pipelines... I mean GOG still sells them, and they run perfectly fine on modern computers (even in HD and whatnot).

Top Bottom