• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Dec/Jan: GET

Dalek

I'm feeling kind of stupid with Hero Emblems. I'm losing all these early battles-Did I skip through some introductionary text? Have I done something wrong? I went from the first town to the graveyard.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How is the Lightning to HDMI adapter? Was thinking to get one to hook up to hotel TVs for movie watching, but could also be a good combination with an MFI controller if the quality is good

awp69

I'm feeling kind of stupid with Hero Emblems. I'm losing all these early battles-Did I skip through some introductionary text? Have I done something wrong? I went from the first town to the graveyard.

Not sure if you missed anything but definitely make sure you continue to heal throughout the battle.

The game does get very hard. But I'm absolutely loving it. Like that it's old school hard - - not an artificially IAP driven hard.

It's kind of the Dark Souls of match 3 RPGs.

I've been disappointed over and over again with these type of games. But this finally has the magic I've been looking for. Super Glyph Quest was good. Yet it doesn't hold a candle to this IMO.

Jarsonot

Hero Emblems is really great.

Tried swapping a mega with a mega (not sure what they're called - the 5-match pieces)... Didn't know if it would do anything... It was everything I'd hoped for. =)

dantehemi

just started hero emblems. I have no opinions as of yet, but I'm looking forward to really digging into this game along with you guys.

PittaGAF

Hero Emblems is really great.

Tried swapping a mega with a mega (not sure what they're called - the 5-match pieces)... Didn't know if it would do anything... It was everything I'd hoped for. =)

!!!!!!!!
I never tried it.....must do!!!!!

About to leave second continent....so freaking good!!!!

I discovered there are 'starred' versions of the advanced skills, with better stats, dropped by blue chests or repeatly hit dwarf.

PittaGAF

As expected, and how it should have been right from the start, Apple started banning accounts in Europe abusing the 14-days no question asked refund policy (which for many was simply 'free games').

wetflame

Pizza Dog
As expected, and how it should have been right from the start, Apple started banning accounts in Europe abusing the 14-days no question asked refund policy (which for many was simply 'free games').

I was going ask how it can really be abused if it's EU law that you have the right to "return" digital goods within 14 days, but I checked the law and it states that you can only do so if you haven't downloaded the content, so I guess Apple are within their rights to ban people if they've been playing the games and then getting refunds. Technically you shouldn't be able to get a refund at all as you immediately download the app upon purchase, so Apple have been fairly generous.

PittaGAF

I was going ask how it can really be abused if it's EU law that you have the right to "return" digital goods within 14 days, but I checked the law and it states that you can only do so if you haven't downloaded the content, so I guess Apple are within their rights to ban people if they've been playing the games and then getting refunds. Technically you shouldn't be able to get a refund at all as you immediately download the app upon purchase, so Apple have been fairly generous.

Yeah the problem was that Apple didn't delete the app from your device when you ask a refund (it must be said that many games are short you could technically complete them before the 14 days and then ask for refund and have them deleted)....even after the refund you kept the app forever (you couldn't update tough, if I read it well).
A 'problem' is that legit people could actually press buy on their device (or a kid etc...) and actually download the app....before realizing the mistake.
In that case a refund should be legit.

Now Apple bans account that have too many requests in a short timeframe or too much money or whatever.

It was a legit concern for indies too.

awp69

Google Play does this the right way. A more reasonable return period, 2 hours, AND it automatically uninstalls the app. Apple should have used that as a model that is much less prone to abuse.

okno

Urrrrgh. Hero Emblems!!! I swear the boss you fight in the Cloisters is nearly impossible. He gets a turn every other turn, locks an entire column - sometimes two!! - of emblems and knocks off over half of my DP in one hit, and 1/3rd of my HP in one hit. I really don't know what the heck I am supposed to do to defeat this guy, as my hits do barely anything to him, and I am unable to do 5-emblem matches because there is almost always an entire column of locked pieces! I'm about to throw my phone into the wall.

awp69

Urrrrgh. Hero Emblems!!! I swear the boss you fight in the Cloisters is nearly impossible. He gets a turn every other turn, locks an entire column - sometimes two!! - of emblems and knocks off over half of my DP in one hit, and 1/3rd of my HP in one hit. I really don't know what the heck I am supposed to do to defeat this guy, as my hits do barely anything to him, and I am unable to do 5-emblem matches because there is almost always an entire column of locked pieces! I'm about to throw my phone into the wall.

lol. I'm not that far yet but sounds interesting. Still on the first Island (wish I could play more) and was happy to finally got past two of the bosses there. Nice feeling of accomplishment when you do in this game.

I must say that this has pulled me away from every thing at the moment. Gunbrick and Space Marshal are two of the great games I got last week, but I keep coming back to this. It's very challenging and a blast to play, but not frustrating (at least not yet).

okno

lol. I'm not that far yet but sounds interesting. Still on the first Island (wish I could play more) and was happy to finally get past two of the bosses there. Nice feeling of accomplishment when you do in this game.

You're not too far from where I am. Be ready to cry, a lot.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
14 days is an insanely long amount of time, you can beat RPGs in that timeframe. Good thing abusers are being curbed, with the EU price increases + the new refund policy I presume devs aren't super pleased right now.

wihio

Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter up, unfortunately it states:

Shadowrun: Hong Kong is being developed for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems only. We have elected to focus all our efforts on PC in order to deliver the best game we can without the current processing and memory limitations of tablets. This focus allows us to have higher-fidelity visuals, larger map sizes, and more stuff on screen.

Would be nice to see it coming to tablets. Time will tell I guess.

dantehemi

Man hero emblems is kicking my ass. I can't beat the first Boss...not even close. Am I supposed to grind a bit? I'm level 3 and he takes me out in 2 moves. It seems like I just try to build my shields and health up and then it's his turn and he just wipes me out.

awp69

Man hero emblems is kicking my ass. I can't beat the first Boss...not even close. Am I supposed to grind a bit? I'm level 3 and he takes me out in 2 moves. It seems like I just try to build my shields and health up and then it's his turn and he just wipes me out.

Try as much as you are able to to build 5-match blocks. Then DO NOT use them until you get to the boss.

Going to a town and buying a few health potions also can help so you can let your health go a little while you attack. If health gets below 50 (maybe even 75 depending on what you are fighting), use a potion.

Those gems created from match-5s are critical in boss fights IMO.

PittaGAF

Be sure to get the skill that cancels the debufs the board.

Wait till you see the third island :D

PittaGAF

I'm convinced this boss is impossible and you're just lying about reaching the third island.

:)))
Which emblems did you upgrade?
Also...you MUST arrive at the boss with some 5-match emblems.
One for shield and eventually one for attack (cant remember if thepat boss had any special resistances).

okno

:)))
Which emblems did you upgrade?
Also...you MUST arrive at the boss with some 5-match emblems.
One for shield and eventually one for attack (cant remember if thepat boss had any special resistances).

All of my guys are level 9 with upgraded emblems (the ones that cost 300 gold from the first village), and I'm using purify with my healer to debuff the chains (thanks for that tip, I didn't realize those were considered debuffs). I arrive with two 5-match emblems every time, immediately apply the shield and also have my witch do her lightning attack. The dude destroys me so quickly, I just don't know what to do. I get him down to about 1/2 and then I'm dead!

And yet I keep coming back for more pain.

edit: he doesn't have any resistances, but unfortunately fire doesn't seem to do much damage to him so my warrior is practically useless!

Was looking for the 2015 thread lol. But I have a $15 gift card and don't know what to spend it on... Need some help guys.
What genres do you enjoy? Also you might want to skim this thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921676

My favorite recent release is Space Marshals. Really good dual stick shooter that has a tactical element that others lack, due to stealth mechanics, open levels, and customizable loadout

awp69

Was looking for the 2015 thread lol. But I have a $15 gift card and don't know what to spend it on... Need some help guys.

And there were two other great releases this week:

Gunbrick, a very unique puzzle platformer

And, my week's amazing time hog, Hero Emblems, which I can't seem to pull myself away from. If you like match 3-RPGs, with a much heavier emphasis on the RPG than most, it's a must have. Very addictive and extremely challenging but in a way that is really satisfying when you succeed.

To take all my time away from Gunbrick and Space Marshal - - both of which are fantastic - - says a lot.

Bonus : all three are pure premium goodness.

Wthermans

Banned
MFi support should be coming soon.
Yep! I received an email from them about it was well.

We're currently working on MFI controller support and planning to launch it in the next patch - hopefully within the next week or two!

Really looking forward to the update. Hero Emblems is awesome as well I normally don't like match 3 games but I enjoy the fairness and challenge in this game. Still on the first continent though and optionally grinding a bit.

At least one big release tomorrow: Gunslugs 2
http://www.gunslugs.com/gunslugs/
hellworm.jpg

Gee...I wonder. From the last few pages, I think people really think it sucks. NOT.

Just get it dude. It has sucked my time away. The match 3 RPG I've always dreamed of.
Idk, match 3 genre blends can feel more reliant on random chance than any kind of skill or strategy. Always kind of hesitant to get one

awp69

Idk, match 3 genre blends can feel more reliant on random chance than any kind of skill or strategy. Always kind of hesitant to get one

If it's not your thing, I understand. But this one definately requires strategy or you will lose. You need to plan ahead to try to get matches of 5 and "save" the pieces created by them to win boss battles. Save money earned in battle to buy emblems to make your party stronger. Use potions at the right time.

Sure, there's always some luck involved. But you will fail at this game if you don't use any strategy.

Things like Puzzles & Dragons are crap compared to this. The animations and polish and just overall RPG feel just screams quality like I'm playing a Square Enix game. I know people like 100000, Darkin and others. But I haven't played any that give me the satisfaction this one does.

When I die at the end of a long string of battles, I always feel like it was something I did wrong and not blame it on the game. And then when I finally do get past a boss, I feel good about it.

That's just my 2 cents. Not all tastes are alike.

PittaGAF

All of my guys are level 9 with upgraded emblems (the ones that cost 300 gold from the first village), and I'm using purify with my healer to debuff the chains (thanks for that tip, I didn't realize those were considered debuffs). I arrive with two 5-match emblems every time, immediately apply the shield and also have my witch do her lightning attack. The dude destroys me so quickly, I just don't know what to do. I get him down to about 1/2 and then I'm dead!

And yet I keep coming back for more pain.

edit: he doesn't have any resistances, but unfortunately fire doesn't seem to do much damage to him so my warrior is practically useless!

Hmmmm you really are much more powerful than I was when I've beaten the red devil.
I just had 2 emblems (the warrior, which sucks big time at first, and the templar) and had no big problems beating him (it was hard, mind you).
Do you have your inventory full of red and green potions?
Save them for last fight and do not be shy to use those.
Focus on defending more than attacking and and try to memorize who does the most damages between the mage girl and the warrior and the templar (usually he is a BEAST when coupled with a buff damage skill, but he only attacks if the green defense bar is full).

I guess you already have done all that but I can't think anything else that might help.

Progression in second island is much more...'linear' (no really big spikes)...feels like a puzzle sometimes when you have to find out which is the best emblem/skill combo to beat a boss (who goes from almost impossibile to easy).
That or I'm just getting better at the game.

So addicting anyway.

awp69

Wow, people are really starting to get upset at the difficulty of Hero Emblems over on TA. Personally, I like the difficulty. I haven't yet hit a boss that was literally impossible to beat. I sometimes have to tweak by plans to get him down and it may take a bunch of tries but I don't think any are "impossible". And this is coming from someone who has turned away from some games due to frustration.

Maybe it's just because even replaying a battle, I still find the gameplay to be so enjoyable?

I do think it may help to give players a difficulty option and/or checkpoints during long strings of battles. That said, it hasn't deterred me from playing.

PittaGAF

Wow, people are really starting to get upset at the difficulty of Hero Emblems over on TA. Personally, I like the difficulty. I haven't yet hit a boss that was literally impossible to beat. I sometimes have to tweak by plans to get him down and it may take a bunch of tries but I don't think any are "impossible". And this is coming from someone who has turned away from some games due to frustration.

Maybe it's just because even replaying a battle, I still find the gameplay to be so enjoyable?

I do think it may help to give players a difficulty option and/or checkpoints during long strings of battles. That said, it hasn't deterred me from playing.

If the game was easier or I wouldn't be forced to actually think about the best skill/emblems to bring in dungeons....I probably would have deleted it in some hours, like the vast majority of match 3 games (especially freemium crap).
Boss dungeons aren't particularly long...I would say a 10 minutes affair at most...so even replaying them is not that big deal (and I find it very fun too nonetheless).
They keep adding things and tweaks to gameplay too...some things in the third continent are insane.

This game came out from nowhere, and it has me glued to the screen since a week...can't put it down.
Luckily it's very well optimized, battery wise.

Back dying :D

awp69

If the game was easier or I wouldn't be forced to actually think about the best skill/emblems to bring in dungeons....I probably would have deleted it in some hours, like the vast majority of match 3 games (especially freemium crap).
Boss dungeons aren't particularly long...I would say a 10 minutes affair at most...so even replaying them is not that big deal (and I find it very fun too nonetheless).
They keep adding things and tweaks to gameplay too...some things in the third continent are insane.

This game came out from nowhere, and it has me glued to the screen since a week...can't put it down.
Luckily it's very well optimized, battery wise.

Back dying :D

I haven't been able to put it down either even with some other great releases lately. Yeah, there is nothing that compares to this game IMO as fas as depth and strategy in a match 3 RPG. I usually don't even bother with the freemium P&D type games because they are literally crap. This is just so polished and takes much more thought than just simply making matches and hoping you win.

I certainly plan to see it through to the end. And, yeah, replaying battles doesn't feel like a grind because it is too much fun!

Which would you guys recommend between Blek and Zengrams?
Oh, that's tough. Blek is more free form, your solution can be as simple or complex as you'd like, and the way your line moves gracefully across the screen is minimalist art in motion

Zengrams is more focused, but I'd say more challenging. It takes a simple mechanic and creates a ton of tricky head-scratching puzzles around it. The way shapes seamlessly combine and separate is pretty cool and satisfying.

Blek can be more fun and relaxing, Zengrams tricky and difficult.

tmdorsey

Oh, that's tough. Blek is more free form, your solution can be as simple or complex as you'd like, and the way your line moves gracefully across the screen is minimalist art in motion

Zengrams is more focused, but I'd say more challenging. It takes a simple mechanic and creates a ton of tricky head-scratching puzzles around it. The way shapes seamlessly combine and separate is pretty cool and satisfying.

Blek can be more fun and relaxing, Zengrams tricky and difficult.

Hmm interesting, I saw a video of Blek in the Nintendo Direct and it peaked my interest quite a bit and I'm looking for some new good games for my iPad Air 2.

Thanks for the quick response.

JCho133

Will probably hold off on getting an iPad for now and wait for the Mini 4.

Gonna trade in my 3DS XL for $100 and get a New black XL and MH4U (because they're not frickin releasing the small new 3DS in NA! Why the hell nintendo?!)

SerodD

Hey iOSGAF, I'm going on a trip soon and I'm looking to buy some nice iOS games,to play on my Iphone 6, to play when my SO steals my 3DS from me, so is The Banner Saga good on mobile? Also does it have problems running on the Iphone 6?

I was also looking at Out there and some stuff from 2k ( CIV revolution 2 and XCOM), are any of these good?

Is there something else I should look into?

(I like strategy and puzzle games)

Hey iOSGAF, I'm going on a trip soon and I'm looking to buy some nice iOS games to play when my SO steals my 3DS from me, so is The Banner Saga good on mobile? Also does it have problems running on the Iphone 6?

I was also looking at Out there and some stuff from 2k ( CIV revolution 2 and XCOM), are any of these good?

Banner Saga is great on mobile. XCOM also great, although the visuals are downgraded compared to other platforms. If you like sci fi and strategy, I'd also recommend FTL. It's easily the best PC port I've played on mobile. Hoplite is a really good strategic roguelike

As for puzzles, besides Blek and Zengrams mentioned above, I'd also recommend:
- Dwelp
- Perfect Paths
- Membrane
- Icebreaker
- World of Goo
- CLARC
- Pixel Defenders Puzzle

Edit: oh, iPhone. FTL is iPad only, but if you have one, definitely worth getting. World of Goo plays better on iPad as well, but still playable on iPhone.

SerodD

Banner Saga is great on mobile. XCOM also great, although the visuals are downgraded compared to other platforms. If you like sci fi and strategy, I'd also recommend FTL. It's easily the best PC port I've played on mobile. Hoplite is a really good strategic roguelike

As for puzzles, besides Blek and Zengrams mentioned above, I'd also recommend:
- Dwelp
- Perfect Paths
- Membrane
- Icebreaker
- World of Goo
- CLARC
- Pixel Defenders Puzzle

Edit: oh, iPhone. FTL is iPad only, but if you have one, definitely worth getting. World of Goo plays better on iPad as well, but still playable on iPhone.

Yes Iphone only, I should've started with that.

Anyway, thanks :D! I'll look into those.

JCho133

Hey iOSGAF, I'm going on a trip soon and I'm looking to buy some nice iOS games to play when my SO steals my 3DS from me, so is The Banner Saga good on mobile? Also does it have problems running on the Iphone 6?

Banner Saga works great on 5S, and is even better on the 6.

Out There is an absolute must have, definitely pick it up.

XCOM is fantastic, even on the small screen of the 5S (so less of a problem on the 6). I would pass on Civ Rev 2 as I've heard its a little too simplified and not much of an improvement over the first.

Be mindful that XCOM and Banner Saga are both pretty battery heavy games.

If you're a fan of strategy and puzzle, I suggest checking out the new game Hero Emblems, which has gotten a ridiculous amount of positivity flowing around it (just check the past 3 pages in this thread). It's a really great Match-3 RPG that requires a lot of tactics.

A nice smaller game to check out is Hoplite, a fantastic puzzle-y rougelike.

SerodD

Banner Saga works great on 5S, and is even better on the 6.

Out There is an absolute must have, definitely pick it up.

XCOM is fantastic, even on the small screen of the 5S (so less of a problem on the 6). I would pass on Civ Rev 2 as I've heard its a little too simplified and not much of an improvement over the first.

Be mindful that XCOM and Banner Saga are both pretty battery heavy games.

If you're a fan of strategy and puzzle, I suggest checking out the new game Hero Emblems, which has gotten a ridiculous amount of positivity flowing around it (just check the past 3 pages in this thread). It's a really great Match-3 RPG that requires a lot of tactics.

A nice smaller game to check out is Hoplite, a fantastic puzzle-y rougelike.
Battery won't be a problem since I'll play mostly in the hotel room, is World End's With you worth it? I heard it doesn't work on IOS 8, is that correct? I loved that game when I played it on the DS

Also, thanks :), I'll look into those aswell.

JCho133

Battery won't be a problem since I'll play mostly in the hotel room, is World End's With you worth it? I heard it doesn't work on IOS 8, is that correct? I loved that game when I played it on the DS

Also, thanks :), I'll look into those aswell.

Yeah, apparently it's more than broken on iOS 8. I've heard rumors of an update coming though.

But hey, you could always just snatch the 3DS back to play that! :p

awp69

Just caught up to you and, yeah, that Cloisters battle is pretty tough. Came close to defeating him once, but need to keep at it.

All of my emblems are still on the first (300 coin) upgrade. Wondering if I need to get the next upgrades before moving on? Think they're 2000 coins so will take some grinding but love the gameplay enough to not mind.

If I anyone has gotten past that area with just the first upgrades, I'll just keep going at it and just try to keep planning ahead on each battle.

I don't get to play as often as I like. Just amazing to think I've already sunk 4.5 hours into the game and am still on the first continent. Long game, which is great because I'm loving every minute of it -- even when I lose!

Top Bottom