• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming December 2015 | F2P is frightful, but the sales are so delightful

Pachimari

Page 2, woooooo

Dude, we're on page 3. ;)

Having to subscribe to this thread every month is a real pain. The new OT frequency should really be reduced. Just refresh the first post every month or something. I can't be the only one who loses track of this thread for a good chunk of the month because it does not show up in my subscribed threads list.

Every other monthly thread (Steam, Indie, Movies, Reading, PSN, GwG, etc.) does it just fine.

It's as simple as checking the last page of the thread you were subscribed to

Haha, hate to break it to you Elyrion but I think you ARE the only one with that problem. ;)

I didn't get it at first either but I've come to appreciate it. Having the first post archived each month is a nice reminder of what was released and popular at that point in time. Which also ties into how App Store releases tend to come hard and fast most months and so setting a renewed focus might help drive the thread forward.

I got to agree with him though. Many times, I don't see the new thread until 1-2 weeks into the month. But that's on me.

awp69

I have never watched PewDiePie nor do I think I ever will, but Legend of the Brofist is a surprisingly fun and diverse platformer. I'd highly recommend it for anyone who likes Mario-esque platformers with a few cool twists.

---

So anyone know of any interesting releases tonight?

killercow

I have never watched PewDiePie nor do I think I ever will, but Legend of the Brofist is a surprisingly fun and diverse platformer. I'd highly recommend it for anyone who likes Mario-esque platformers with a few cool twists.

---

So anyone know of any interesting releases tonight?

A Good Snowman is Hard to Build!

awp69

Following on the heels of shmup goodness from AirAttack 2, PG is reporting that Cave's latest, Dodonpachi Ichimenbanchouthe, is launching next week. Could be Japan only but I hope not.

And wow, that last part of the name is a mouthful.

PittaGAF

BTW Killercow, thanks :)

Your recent tweet about a Swordigo update had me reinstall the game and continuing right where I stopped playing it long ago thanks to the stellar iCloud implementation (Apple should force iCloud on every damn app).
Two days after I completed the game and had a blast (as always with the game, can't even remember why I stopped playing it towards the end).

Great game and it scratched that itch I had (and still have).

I wonder what the Swordigo dev is doing right now...long time no see.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I bought a Surface Pro 4, but I think I'm going to return it. I don't need an iPad Pro, but I'd like to get a new iPad instead. Is the Air 2 still a smart buy right now?

Sorry if this isn't the thread for this, but since it will be a gaming device + comic reader, I felt it may sit OK in this thread. :)

Apples top ten games of the year:

Lara Croft GO
Fallout Shelter
Mr Jump
Dark Echo (Most Innovative)
Warhammer 40,000: Freeblade (Best for iPhone 6s)
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Vainglory
Dungeon Boss
Puzzle Craft 2
PAC-MAN 256

killercow

BTW Killercow, thanks :)

You're welcome :)

So I bought a Surface Pro 4, but I think I'm going to return it. I don't need an iPad Pro, but I'd like to get a new iPad instead. Is the Air 2 still a smart buy right now?

Sorry if this isn't the thread for this, but since it will be a gaming device + comic reader, I felt it may sit OK in this thread. :)

The Air 2 is still a beast and quite a good buy. I use mine every day and the form factor + weight is still unparalleled.

Another release:
Song of Pan by Thumbspire out worldwide now:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/song-of-pan/id1056791941

screen520x924.jpeg

Lara Croft GO
Fallout Shelter
Mr Jump
Vainglory
Dungeon Boss
Puzzle Craft 2
PAC-MAN 256
Nice to see Dark Echo getting recognized

But Freeblade instead of Deathwatch...

awp69

Lara Croft GO
Fallout Shelter
Mr Jump
Vainglory
Dungeon Boss
Puzzle Craft 2
PAC-MAN 256

Disappointing list. Lara Croft GO and Dark Echo are the only ones that would overlap with my own

And didn't Hearthstone and Vainglory come out last year?

Disappointing list. Lara Croft GO and Dark Echo are the only ones that would overlap with my own

And didn't Hearthstone and Vainglory come out last year?
Yeah...no Sorcery? The Room? Downwell, Lumino City, etc.?

The GAF iOS list will be better

But Freeblade instead of Deathwatch...

Totally agree with that one. Deathwatch is a lovely light little strategy game while Freeblade is a crashing overload and advertising nightmare over a fairly repetitive rail shooter. The detail put into the Titan painter is really the only credit I can give it.

awp69

They both came out last year. Hearthstone in April and Vainglory in November.

I thought so. I mean both get regular updates but there are other great games that came out THIS year so no idea why they has them in the list.

And wholeheartedly agree with Deathwatch. Definitely will be in my top 10.

killercow

Here's Apple's full Top 25 Games of 2015:

1. Lara Croft GO
2. Fallout Shelter
3. Mr Jump
4. Dark Echo
5. Warhammer 40,000: Freeblade
6. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
7. Vainglory
8. Dungeon Boss
9. Puzzle Craft 2
10. PAC-MAN 256
11. You Must Build A Boat
12. AG Drive
13. MARVEL Contest of Champions
14. Horizon Chase - World Tour
15. Shadowmatic
16. Wonky Ship
17. Super Sharp
18. Last Voyage
19. Ski Safari 2
20. Downwell
21. Rayman Adventures
22. Afterpulse
23. Psych! Outwit Your Friends
24. HoPiKo
25. Blades of Brim

No Alto's Adventure is a CRIME.

awp69

Here's Apple's full Top 25 Games of 2015:

1. Lara Croft GO
2. Fallout Shelter
3. Mr Jump
4. Dark Echo
5. Warhammer 40,000: Freeblade
6. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
7. Vainglory
8. Dungeon Boss
9. Puzzle Craft 2
10. PAC-MAN 256
11. You Must Build A Boat
12. AG Drive
13. MARVEL Contest of Champions
14. Horizon Chase - World Tour
15. Shadowmatic
16. Wonky Ship
17. Super Sharp
18. Last Voyage
19. Ski Safari 2
20. Downwell
21. Rayman Adventures
22. Afterpulse
23. Psych! Outwit Your Friends
24. HoPiKo
25. Blades of Brim

No Alto's Adventure is a CRIME.

I really don't understand the Fallout Shelter love. Definitely not a #2 choice in my book.

That list is a mess. Some good stuff in there but seriously Rayman Adventures was a huge disappointment and Freeblade was killed by an awful F2P scheme.

In addition to games others have mentioned (especially DEATHWATCH), Hero Emblems will at least be in my top 5. And may have not been included with it just being released, Air Attack 2.

And also agree that Fallout Shelter is WAY overrated. If any survival game deserves to be on there, it's This War of Mine (which is a port but still...).

AG Drive is also yet another game that was released in 2014 (June). WTF?

Looks like some Voting threads are starting to go up, so I'll try to have the Mobile voting thread up tonight or tomorrow

And yes, there will be a results thread this time. Last year, that got sidetracked due to some IRL situations (mainly a death in the family), so I never got around to it. But there will definitely be one for 2015

If anyone's interested, here were the final results for 2014

1) Monument Valley (75 points)
2) Threes (55 points)
3) 80 Days (45 points)
4) Hitman Go (44 points)
5) Hearthstone | Terra Battle (37 points)
6) Out There (31 points)
7) The Banner Saga (29 points)
8) Valiant Hearts (23 points)
9) Wayward Souls | Kingdom Rush: Origins (22 points)
10) FTL (18 points)
---
11) Crossy Road (14 points)
12) Traps n' Gemstones (12 points)
13) Leo's Fortune (11 points)
14) Desert Golfing | Star Realms (10 points)
15) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies | Battleheart: Legacy | Kero Blaster (9 points)
16) Goblin Sword (8 points)
17) Vainglory | VVVVVV (7 points)
18) Sword & Poker Adventures | The Rhythm of Fighters | Sky Force 2014 (6 points)
19) XCOM Enemy Within | The Wolf Among Us | Card City Nights | WWE Supercard (5 points)
20) Monster Hunter | Hoplite | Thomas Was Alone | Trials Frontier | Shadowrun Dragonfall (4 points)

whats the rules for the mobile voting thread? Would be good to get more than 10 games to vote for as mobile games are easier to accumulate then the more expensive, lengthier console games.

I really don't understand the Fallout Shelter love. Definitely not a #2 choice in my book.

I am right there with you, and I have been known in the past to get in real deep with f2p 'base building' games. Beyond the initial love of the aesthetics in Fallout Shelter, I bounced off it pretty quick.

awp69

Where is everyone getting the Apple GoTY list?

I'm looking on the App Store and it shows this under best of 2015 for games:

1.Prune
2. Rayman Adventures (this is a joke)
3. Implosion
4. Her Story
5. Zodiac (WTF were they thinking? This was a disaster?)
6. Shadowmatic
7. The Room Three
8. Lumino City
10. Don't Starve
11. Alphabear
12. Does Not Commute
13: This War of Mine
14. World of Tanks
15. Heroki (glad to see this get some notice)
16. SimCity Buildit
17. Loots & Legends
18. Minecraft Story Mode
19. Lara Croft GO
20. Fallout Shelter
21. Star Wars: Uprising Kabam
22. Lost Within
23. Guitar Hero Live
24. Gunbrick (also glad to see this one)
25. Alto's Adventure

There are still games on here I don't agree with but it makes a little more sense and don't think there are any 2014 games on it.

awp69

PittaGAF

Magic the Gathering: Puzzle Quest will be out tonight apparently.

http://youtu.be/dJJW5Ydvw3Y

I have no clue if the progression will be like in the beta (I already maxed out everything and now the fights are stellar) but if yes, it's the best match-3 blend (I would argue it's much more a Magic than a match-3 game...because after you get some powers the match-3 is negligible) I played in years.

I really hope they do not destroy all the good with free to play imbalance.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

I have no clue if the progression will be like in the beta (I already maxed out everything and now the fights are stellar) but if yes, it's the best match-3 blend (I would argue it's much more a Magic than a match-3 game...because after you get some powers the match-3 is negligible) I played in years.

nice... played through the tutorial this morning and it did feel like it could get pretty strategic

hopefully my progress carries over to the US release

SaiyanRaoh

Does this have the online only crap that has plagued the Puzzle Quest series after part 2 or does this return to the good old days?

Heel

I'm playing tonight on your rec, Pitta! :)

Finally. Have other soft launches took this much time to get to NA?

PittaGAF

Does this have the online only crap that has plagued the Puzzle Quest series after part 2 or does this return to the good old days?

Yes it's online only as far as I know.
There is a campaign, heroic encounters and PVP (you play against other players decks).
Campaign is a succession of thematic fights (thematic in the sense you encounter thematic decks and the last boss is one of the famous planes walker).

The blend is really unique tough and the new AI makes the game super fun imho.
Keep in mind that playing the beta last weeks I could accumulate tons and tons of stones (needed to upgrade your planes walkers) and tons of gold (needed to buy the boosters).
I have now everything maxed out and I'm sitting on millions of unspent currency.
Dunno if that will be the case in the final version.

Right now I just play PVP and it's awesome.

Gameplay is like this: you match gems and produce colorless mana (some color matching gives you more mana than others depending on affinity).
Every turn you draw a card from your deck which contains creatures, support and spells.
With the acquired mana you can cast the cards on the board...and they will attack each turn your opponent.
The trick is having a deck that can help you in the most possible situations....so it's not only creatures...but low level creatures to be fast fasted in the board, counter spells, board control capabilities, direct damage spells...etc... (There are a TON with many possible synergies as in Magic).
During the campaign you can fine tune your deck for specific encounters....but in PVP you won't ever know what you will face.
The most important thing is the ORDER (which you can change anytime) of your drawn cards (not yet casted)...so you will change on the fly pretty often which cards are accumulating mana and when...not to mention when to cast them (you can manually put them on hold for maximum damage turns later).

It's pretty deep overall with a nice dose of chance I always love.

It's like a distillated and much faster Magic lite.

Oh...and the art is GORGEOUS.

awp69

Didn't realize this was by the same devs as Retry.

Already bought Dungeon Time (haven't played yet). Now I need to decide between Power Hover and Flewn with one saved for my wish list.

I do have a lot of "artsy" games like Flewn still to play through so leaning towards Power Hover.

Anyone play either yet?

Top Bottom