• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming December 2015 | F2P is frightful, but the sales are so delightful

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
iCloud does that too without the untrustworthy p.o.s. that is Facebook.

iCloud/gamecenter does nothing for me w/r/t playing on android devices, unless there's something I'm missing. I dunno what the issue is. Just create a fake facebook account for these things like everyone else. Takes a few seconds.

Holy shmooples Transistor is a blast! The game is utterly gorgeous and I am loving the combat so far (have only reached Goldenwall(?)). Can't wait to delve deeper into this, really loving the obtuse storytelling perspective.
Nice to hear you're enjoying it. The combat is so much fun. Wait till you do new game plus and you can really experiment

Faiz

So, there's no way to play MTG PQ with friends right? I'm enjoying it but would enjoy a lot more if my wife and I could challenge each other on the couch or something.

PittaGAF

So, there's no way to play MTG PQ with friends right? I'm enjoying it but would enjoy a lot more if my wife and I could challenge each other on the couch or something.

Yeah this!!!
So far you can only battle other players decks which is cool but I really wish to be able to fight against friends.
Async would be awesome.

Have to reiterate the praise for Power Hover. I'd argue it's the best premium runner since Boson X. Each level is different and even within a level, perspective and hazards change, making each stage feel like its own adventure. The low poly art style is lovely.

awp69

Have to reiterate the praise for Power Hover. I'd argue it's the best premium runner since Boson X. Each level is different and even within a level, perspective and hazards change, making each stage feel like its own adventure. The low poly art style is lovely.

Was hoping someone else was playing this gem! :)

Oooh, Blackbar is getting a prequel/sequel, Grayout

Here's a cryptic GIF
pqMJvdk.gif

colinp

Banned
(stunning gif)

Yeah the game is awesome. So slick. Wasn't sure about the price but it's really quite unique. No regrets. Fantastic release at the end of the year. Thinking it might robbed of year end awards, no?

Maybe we should be like the oscars and actually wait until the END of the year to talk about GOTY...?

awp69

Yeah the game is awesome. So slick. Wasn't sure about the price but it's really quite unique. No regrets. Fantastic release at the end of the year. Thinking it might robbed of year end awards, no?

Maybe we should be like the oscars and actually wait until the END of the year to talk about GOTY...?

Glad you like it. It is really awesome. Right now I put it in my honorable mentions for GoTY, but contemplating swapping it out for a spot in my top 10.

That reaction to that Tron Runner that was revealed during The VGAs is really interesting.

Like it's just an endless runner. Nice visuals and animations, but it's still just a behind-the-back endless runner and it's $10 on Steam

If it had been a mobile game that had been ported to PC, you just know people would be shitting on it for being overpriced. But because it's Tron and it's on PC, the reception is positive, even though mechanics-wise, it's like dozens of other endless runners you'd find on mobile

Same with how a mediocre game like Fallout Shelter was praised and well-received in the GAF threads

colinp

Banned
That reaction to that Tron Runner that was revealed during PSX is really interesting.

Like it's just an endless runner. Nice visuals and animations, but it's still just a behind-the-back endless runner and it's $10 on Steam

If it had been a mobile game that had been ported to PC, you just know people would be shitting on it for being overpriced. But because it's Tron and it's on PC, the reception is positive, even though mechanics-wise, it's like dozens of other endless runners you'd find on mobile

Same with how a mediocre game like Fallout Shelter was praised and well-received in the GAF threads

So true! People are blinded by marketing and crazy biased against mobile here on GAF. Oh well.

PittaGAF

I just noticed for the first time something I never did before.

I was trying on iPad Rayman Adventures when I turned on the screen on my iPhone.
In the lock screen, bottom left, there is the handoff or how it's called feature that let you continue something on the other device (continuity?).
There was a little cross button like a game boy...so I pulled up the screen and the screen told me: connecting to Rayman Adventures on iPad.
Unfortunately that's all it did....I assume it was loading some sort of controller mode. (But it's just an assumption).

Anyone knows what is it?

I'll take screenshot next time.

I just noticed for the first time something I never did before.

I was trying on iPad Rayman Adventures when I turned on the screen on my iPhone.
In the lock screen, bottom left, there is the handoff or how it's called feature that let you continue something on the other device (continuity?).
There was a little cross button like a game boy...so I pulled up the screen and the screen told me: connecting to Rayman Adventures on iPad.
Unfortunately that's all it did....I assume it was loading some sort of controller mode. (But it's just an assumption).

Anyone knows what is it?

I'll take screenshot next time.

It's controller forwarding:

http://www.slashgear.com/heres-how-ios-8-turns-your-iphone-into-an-ipad-gamepad-06332420/

Been around since iOS 8

wwdc-2014-game-controller-forwarding-0-600x3341.jpg

Pachimari

Glad you like it. It is really awesome. Right now I put it in my honorable mentions for GoTY, but contemplating swapping it out for a spot in my top 10.
Would be nice if people said what game they were talking about. Posting a gif with no text or title isn't very helpful.

Though, it does look fantastic.

[edit]
Power Hover, got it.

That reaction to that Tron Runner that was revealed during The VGAs is really interesting.

Naw, mobile games are 100% trash.

On a completely unrelated note have you guys seen these totally new indie games Horizon Chase and Downwell? They look really cool!

Now this looks like something investigating

A premium tactical game based on the Metro 2033 novels. Has an open world of stations, with faction relationships

$7.99

I've put a little bit of time into that and I quite like it. It isn't the most complex of survival simulators but their is a nice flow in the way you have to balance your factions growth, defenses and supplies. Kinda reminds me a little of Rebuild but your team is perhaps a little more punchy.

Just finished Super Dangerous Dungeons. Loved it.

https://appsto.re/gb/TMa-7.i
(free with IAP to remove ads)

Great stepped difficulty curve, over four worlds each containing 10 levels
plus boss plus secret level
. Tight controls, faultless platform placement and level design. Some nice tricks to learn and clever design throughout. Surprisingly good final level, too.
Secret level locations are well hidden, with hints just before there final level in case you miss them.

Well worth the money to remove the ads.

Just love this kid's games.

pronk420

Anyone tried that new slitherine space game? It looks cool.

There's some cool stuff on sale (or at least the prices are reduced):
Her story
868 hack
Xenoshyft - been waiting to get this for a while, pocket tactics say it's awesome but has a bad interface, but the dev has been updating it a lot
Space age

Anyone tried that new slitherine space game? It looks cool.

There's some cool stuff on sale (or at least the prices are reduced):
Her story
868 hack
Xenoshyft - been waiting to get this for a while, pocket tactics say it's awesome but has a bad interface, but the dev has been updating it a lot
Space age
Picked up Xenoshyft a few week ago, it works really well as a solo game too.

The others are all must-plays IMO too.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

I tend to find most people dumping on mobile to have had either little first hand or incredibly out of date experience, or are otherwise "low information". So easy to combat almost every argument a mobile game hater has with dozens of counter examples. Even the "no buttons" thing doesn't even really apply any more.

People aren't willing to actually try something until they basically have a good reason to and then, lo and behold, find out it's actually fun. Fallout Shelter was exactly that kind of thing where it took a game based on a major IP, the fact everybody has a smartphone in their pocket, and a NeoGAF OT to get people to try it out. And while good it isn't even great relative to the literally thousands of other better mobile games out there (well, that's a personal opinion obviously), so those haters could have been having fun on mobile a lot earlier.

It's somewhat similar in my opinion to the kneejerk negative reaction to a free to play label. People happily jumped on the Hearthstone bandwagon and quite possibly into free to play for the first time because Warcraft/Blizzard. Suddenly the devs aren't "greedy" and the gameplay isn't too grindy, even though there are literally thousands of other quality F2P games out there balanced exactly the same way. Valve somehow gets a pass too for Team Fortress 2 being "free to play done right", even though their monetization model isn't meaningfully different again from thousands of other F2P games out there.

Basically, people are willing to give something the benefit of the doubt if they are familiar with it (or the people behind it). And skeptical or downright dismissive if they aren't.

ParityBit

Does the Horipad Ultimate game pad work with more than iOS? I am looking for a nice pad that I could use on another device if I were to change tablets.

The thread for that Tron game has 64 post... I get that people look down on mobile but don't go seeing arguments that aren't really there. Gaf has about as much interest in an endless runner on Steam as it does on mobile – not very much. Despite what a few overhyped psx posters would lead you to believe

The thread for that Tron game has 64 post... I get that people look down on mobile but don't go seeing arguments that aren't really there. Gaf has about as much interest in an endless runner on Steam as it does on mobile – not very much. Despite what a few overhyped psx posters would lead you to believe
Yeah, what little hype that game was getting was mainly around the Tron license from what I saw

awp69

Cavernaut is currently free. A fun and challenging Lunar Lander style game in which you must navigate through caves to see how high you can reach.

And Air Attack 2 is on sale for $1 already. I just hope this doesn't mean it didn't sell well. The $1.99 price was already a bargain.

Cavernaut is currently free. A fun and challenging Lunar Lander style game in which you must navigate through caves to see how high you can reach.

And Air Attack 2 is on sale for $1 already. I just hope this doesn't mean it didn't sell well. The $1.99 price was already a bargain.
Air Attack, Spider, Aralon...

2015 is the year of a long-overdue sequels, huh?

I think they all probably suffered from not striking when the iron was hot. 5 years is an eternity on mobile.

Nelo Ice

Banned

Lol what already? Well glad I was a cheap ass and waited. Just bought it.

awp69

Anyone feel like coming to my house, cleaning it, decorating for Christmas....and then entertaining my in-laws? Urggh, I hate this time of year. Much rather be playing video games!

Matt Frost

Anything good that was released recently? (better if it is endless)... kind of lost track of time, space and iOS...

Really addicted to Power Hover. It's just an utter joy to play. It has influences from games like Race the Sun and Journey (and a touch from Dune :) ), but the art style is beautiful, graceful controls and a wide variety in the stages that increase in challenge with land and water, dizzying perspective changes and ever changing obstacles (both physical and enemies). Easily the best "runner" type game in a long time.

I would have been all over it if it were endless, level based no longer holds my interest. No time to deal with levels lol

Anyone feel like coming to my house, cleaning it, decorating for Christmas....and then entertaining my in-laws? Urggh, I hate this time of year. Much rather be playing video games!

Lol. Anyone wants to go to work in my place, for free? That way I will have time to play iOS, Destiny, Bloodborne, FallOut 4,...

ParityBit

So is a controller worth it for games? If so, which is your favorite? I am going to give some ideas to my wife for Xmas! I know Heartstone does not need one .... but I can play other games!

Top Bottom