• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2016 | Crashlands Bandicoot

big Heroki update:

MAJOR VERSION 1.1 UPDATE

• Heroki is now also available for the Apple TV!
• Cross platform iCloud
• Added 3 save slots for family friendly gaming
• Added full MFi support
• Added more checkpoints
• Improved the visibility of the secrets
• Improved the controls a lot!
• Smashed some serious bugs into obliteration
• Made great improvements to the camera
• Made the gameplay more accessible
• Made the game even smaller (less than 350MB)
• Better performance on older devices

Pachimari

Is Phoenix Wright Trilogy (not Dual Destinies) worth playing on an iPhone or am I better off playing it on 3DS? If so, why?

Pachimari

GTA: Liberty City Stories is on sale. I think it's half price.

[edit] for some reason I can't buy it, as it is being modified. I wonder if they are changing the price back now.

Heroki on Apple TV is really good. Probably the best 'exclusive' on the system (Oceanhorn probably the runner up). Could never get into it on iOS due to the controls, but works great with a controller.

pdk27

Heroki on Apple TV is really good. Probably the best 'exclusive' on the system (Oceanhorn probably the runner up). Could never get into it on iOS due to the controls, but works great with a controller.

I just came here to post pretty much exactly this

awp69

Anyone else pick up Shadow Blade: Reload?

About to pick it up after buying an iTunes card at a grocery store to help mask my overspending on games lately from the Mrs. Now to decide what to delete to make space for it after the massive 3.9 GB install of FF IX, which is an outstanding port BTW.

Tomb of the Mask is pretty fabulous.

I'm glad to see a few people here besides myself enjoying it. Really is one of my favorite arcade/twitch games in a while.

okno

I'm glad to see a few people here besides myself enjoying it. Really is one of my favorite arcade/twitch games in a while.

It's a little bit of an unfair comparison, but I'm enjoying it a lot more than Downwell. It has the same twitchy "just one more" gameplay as Pac Man CE and I just love it. I highly suggest to everyone to play it with the sound on, as the sound of collecting dozens of coins and dots at once is addicting.

awp69

It's a little bit of an unfair comparison, but I'm enjoying it a lot more than Downwell. It has the same twitchy "just one more" gameplay as Pac Man CE and I just love it. I highly suggest to everyone to play it with the sound on, as the sound of collecting dozens of coins and dots at once is addicting.

I actually feel the same. Downwell is a great game, but also feel more of an addiction to this.

PittaGAF

FYI the amazing Card Crawl just got updated with a new (awesome) Delve Mode and all leaderboards reset due to some changes to some adventure cards.

It's now the time for NeoGAF to show your value!!! :p
I want my ladder full of Gaffers ahead of me!!!!

Just play the game, it's awesome

sheaaaa

I'm enjoying Tomb of the Mask but I paid for the no ads IAP naively thinking it would remove all the ad hooks from the game.

Sadly I still see "watch video for 500 coins" and "watch video to revive", which of course I don't have to tap on but the fact that they're there is a mild bummer. Pace of coin collection also seems to favour the grind, but I'm still really early on so hopefully it gets better.

Real Racing 3 coming to Apple TV:

Real Racing™ 3 and NASCAR Team Properties (NTP) today announced the DAYTONA Experience, featuring 700-horsepower NASCAR Sprint Cup Series™ cars going head-to-head in the DAYTONA 500 at the all-new motorsports stadium at Daytona International Speedway®. Real Racing 3 is also launching “Party Play,” the split-screen mode enabling you to challenge friends to multi-player sessions, on Android TV and Apple TV, so you can put your friends’ skills to the test. The Real Racing 3 DAYTONA Experience with “Party Play” will be available February 15 in Real Racing 3, which is available now as a free* download on the App Store and Google Play™.

Never got into RR3 due to the IAP aspects, but i'll give it another spin on tvOS. Asphalt and GT Spirit were disappointing.

'Warhammer Quest' Developers Call it Quits After 'Warhammer 40,000: Deathwatch' Bombs

All of their games launched with great reviews and an excited fanbase, but none of that really seems to matter anymore in the App Store of 2016. As players in the Warhammer 40,000: Deathwatch thread were wondering why the game wasn't getting updated to fix bugs, add content, and all the other things the previous titles saw, an ex-Rodeo Games developer shed some light on the situation. Apparently the majority of the team left months ago, and as far as he knows, there's no one left to offer any kind of support or work on any kind of additional content. Additionally, "like most indie developers, you're only as good as your last game, and even though Deathwatch was Rodeo's highest metric game, it didn't make enough so we had to move on."

http://toucharcade.com/2016/02/12/w...quits-after-warhammer-40000-deathwatch-bombs/

sad.

awp69

Wow. That really blows. Loved all of their games, especially Deathwatch, which I had thought did fairly well. Sadly, I guess not.

PittaGAF

I knew the situation since a while but it still stings so much I can't even talk about it...and I'm still hopeful that somehow, someday, we will hear about Rodeo again.

For now the only thing I know is that this year I won't die in anticipation of the next Rodeo reveal, and this makes me really sad.

PittaGAF

Wow. That really blows. Loved all of their games, especially Deathwatch, which I had thought did fairly well. Sadly, I guess not.

I know it did well, but not well enough for the bigger studio and probably (legit) ambitions.
The external engine, multi platform and iOS 9 bugs with GC multiplayer (which I can assure you existed and was SO MUCH FUN) were probably the last nail in the coffin.

Sadness.

awp69

Oh, and the Trese Brothers. Templar Battleforce is really good, and is a definite recommendation for fans of Rodeo's Hunters games

Yes, I echo this. Templar Battleforce is my next favorite TBS game after Deathwatch. Maybe not as glossy as Rodeo's output, but really good with a bit more emphasis on the RPG side of things.

okno

Pretty hilarious how quickly the hype around Crashlands died off. I reached the second continent and have no desire to keep going. The game is just a massive, massive grind with little reward. Bummer, since it had so much potential.

FF9 has fully consumed me. It's all I can play right now. Such an excellent port.

Pretty hilarious how quickly the hype around Crashlands died off. I reached the second continent and have no desire to keep going. The game is just a massive, massive grind with little reward. Bummer, since it had so much potential.

FF9 has fully consumed me. It's all I can play right now. Such an excellent port.

I was super-hyped for Crashlands and then it just fell off hard for me. I already knew the humor wasn't going to be my thing but the thing that really got me was that you essentially had to "grind" for the crafting recipes.

Final Fantasy IX-related: Has it always been Gizamaluke's Grotto? I wonder how I missed the first "a".

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I'm enjoying Tomb of the Mask but I paid for the no ads IAP naively thinking it would remove all the ad hooks from the game.

Sadly I still see "watch video for 500 coins" and "watch video to revive", which of course I don't have to tap on but the fact that they're there is a mild bummer. Pace of coin collection also seems to favour the grind, but I'm still really early on so hopefully it gets better.

Our policy is generally the same. For most of our games (including all recent ones), any purchase will turn off third party ads. However, in addition to PikPok notices/cross promotions remaining, we also leave rewarded video options all there. In fact, when we've taken them away in the past we've had a lot of people complain and ask for them to be put back in as some people want the opportunity to grind currency that way (even people buying currency!). I can't think of any instance where we've had a complaint similar to yours, at least not one that I've read (very possibly people just drop out being similarly mildly bummed out rather than write a complaint).

sheaaaa

Our policy is generally the same. For most of our games (including all recent ones), any purchase will turn off third party ads. However, in addition to PikPok notices/cross promotions remaining, we also leave rewarded video options all there. In fact, when we've taken them away in the past we've had a lot of people complain and ask for them to be put back in as some people want the opportunity to grind currency that way (even people buying currency!). I can't think of any instance where we've had a complaint similar to yours, at least not one that I've read (very possibly people just drop out being similarly mildly bummed out rather than write a complaint).

Interesting that people want them back! Maybe options to not show them would be a happy middle ground, but I also realise opinions on things like these videos are diverse and my 99 cents don't entitle me to have every other revenue-generating element of the game ripped out.

Like I said, not a big deal and I'm enjoying the game. "Mildly bummed out" is a nice way of putting it.

Don't necessarily agree with the comments of Crashlands, yeah I'm starting to feel the grind too but I still am finding myself coming back to it often. Even if I do end up dropping it soon I still put 9 hours into so far so I definitely got my $5 worth.

On another note Momoka Dev said that he's updating the game to include more checkpoints in certain areas. That was actually my only gripe with the game, certain planets had no checkpoints in them and were extensively long so it became frustrating at points.

Okay, now this is this week's hidden gem

Abzorb. I think it might be my favorite tilt-control game since Tilt To Live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU8NlKpSLqc

It has a large variety of different mechanics, silky-smooth tilt controls, a nice level of challenge, and a hefty amount of levels

TOLOaKt.png

NpFTGjv.gif

K2xfOa9.png

PittaGAF

So, as promised I'm here to report.

Just completed Dust an Elysian tail, playing equally on iPhone 6S and iPad Air, normal difficulty.

It was GLORIOUS.
Absolutely GLORIOUS.

Controls are perfect....never died because of controls....actually they are absolutely natural as weird as it can be (never been a fan of superimposed controls with more than 2 buttons myself, but hey...they are perfect).

The save says 12 hours and 51 minutes for 77 percent, BEFORE the last fight (which took me 3 days in real life and it's freaking hard, more so because I had ZERO healing things on my last save).
I still have many quests to wrap up but I was just too deep into the story to stop going forward...I'll try to complete them if I find a way to go back from where I last saved.
I highly recommend the game, stunning with AAA quality.
The fact it was made by one person only is mind blowing.
Attention to detail and general quality of graphics, sounds, animations, gameplay and...everything really is incredible.
I loved playing it on my iOS devices....really close and personal, especially in bed at night.

For the ones curious, I tried yesterday the game on a friend 360 to compare the graphics.
The only thing I've noticed is the lack of the 'warp/distortion' effect when you use the secondary attack...everything else is the same as far as I can tell.

Anyway...if you are interested don't be stupid like I was and buy it immediately.
It gets even better at each chapter.

I hope the dev is working already on another game in the same vein, anyone knows?

Top Bottom