• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2016 | Crashlands Bandicoot

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Wow at 8gb required size to download FFIX. I have 32gb, but I'm not sure I can get to 8..... Must try. I suppose installing through the iTunes will reduce that requirement?

And congratulations to More_Badass for making mod. Even though I don't post often, I have been lurking this thread multiple times daily for many years. Can't think of anyone more deserving.

Pachimari

Now I hope we will get a mobile port of Final Fantasy VIII within the year. And I feel like we could get Final Fantasy X within the next two years, or are the phones already stronger than Vita?

Having an issue with my iPhone audio. It'll just decrease automatically while listening to music and podcasts. Has anyone encountered this before?

I had a problem with my 4 whereby the sound would just mute itself seemingly randomly. It was caused by fuzz and other stuff getting lodged in the charging port - apparently it thought it was docked to a speaker or something and was outputting to the "speaker" rather than headphones. Once I cleared all the gunk out of there it started working again.

I know you had said it was decreasing the volume and not necessarily muting it all the time, but I figured I'd throw it out there as it took me a few days of frustration before figuring out the issue.

okno

First impressions of FFIX:

-3D models look FANTASTIC. Super crisp, super rich colors, and they animate quite well.
-Pre-rendered backgrounds are a blurry mess. Can barely read any signs that may spot the road, and it's difficult to make out details which makes finding some hidden items a bit more difficult, but the game does have a giant ! pop up whenever you get near something.
-Pre-rendered movies are decent, but blurry, as well.
-Sound is spot on. I'm so happy to hear the music again, such an amazing soundtrack.
-Battle controls are flawless. Plays perfectly on my s+.
-Achievements are seamless and haven't caused any hiccups in the gameplay, yet. Granted, I only have two, but there wasn't even a stutter when either one happened.

Edit: Just noticed my battery. Played for 45 minutes with volume at 75% and brightness at 50% and only lost 5% battery. Surprisingly not a very battery intensive game, but, again, I'm on the s+, so I would be curious to see how it fairs on other devices.

I really can't believe I'm playing my favorite RPG on my phone.

Pachimari

Lumines went straight to my most anticipted on iOS. It was one of the best games when it was released back on PSP and I enjoyed Electronic Symphony on Vita as well. Can't wait for Summer. Hope we get more high profile games.

Pachimari

Didn't even know the first one were on the App Store.

Just bought:

- Ys Chronicles I
- Ys Chronicles II
- Dragon Quest II
- Dragon Quest VI

Is Shin Megami Tensei I and Shin Megami Tensei II worth getting?

awp69

Ugh, is it better than Into the Dim?

TBH, I haven't the original Ys games (which I mislabeled as JRPGs, when they're really ARPGs).

But I'm thinking of picking up the first one tonight. I'd say they're substantially different than Into the Dim though.

Ys Chronicles I is also on sale for $2.99 (from $4.99) right now to celebrate the release of part 2.

TheExodu5

Banned
I want to get FF9, but FF7 was a buggy, poor performing mess on my 6 Plus and iPad Air.

Can anyone confirm this is virtually identical to the PSX version? If there are any issues, I'd probably just play on my Vita instead.

awp69

I want to get FF9, but FF7 was a buggy, poor performing mess on my 6 Plus and iPad Air.

Can anyone confirm this is virtually identical to the PSX version? If there are any issues, I'd probably just play on my Vita instead.

I think this is a full fledged port made for iOS with proper touch controls, optimization, etc.. Not sure which version was used for the base.

As for FF VII, a lot of people think SE just did a quick and dirty port with little effort knowing it would sell on popularity alone. And the results show. It's really ashame as most of their mobile ports have been well regarded. With 7, they just used a crappy control overlay and did next to nothing (or so I've heard) to make it shine on iOS.

heringer

The character models got a nice visual upgrade. Also, unlike FFVII, this game has full touch screen support, not just virtual buttons. There's also some new features like fast forward, no encounter option, achievements, etc.

pXDb.png

comparisonaxpmf.png

TheExodu5

Banned
The character models got a nice visual upgrade. Also, unlike FFVII, this game has full touch screen support, not just virtual buttons. There's also some new features like fast forward, no encounter option, achievements, etc.

pXDb.png

comparisonaxpmf.png

Hmm. Maaaaybe tempted. Still...went to start Chaos Rings last night only to find out it's broken on iOS 9. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

awp69

My bad, I quoted the wrong post of yours. I was asking about Tomb of the Mask which has the same developer as Into the Dim. I found that game to be an insufferable F2P mess.

The Ys Chronicles games are fun2play. I have them both on Steam and double dipped on Ys 1, for now, on iOS.

No problem. Tomb of the Mask is excellent IMO. Some
Of the typical F2P trappings like if you want to revive you can watch a video. But overall, a great twitch high score chaser.

Hmm. Maaaaybe tempted. Still...went to start Chaos Rings last night only to find out it's broken on iOS 9. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

Are you talking about CR3? Did you download the latest update? That should have fixed the issue (which for some reason I never had).

okno

It's a beautiful port that was actually enhanced for mobile. Full touchscreen support available for battles and all menus, a virtual d-pad that only appears when you use it (and it's flawless, just don't move your thumb into the margins), enhanced 3D models (they look GOOD), enhanced soundtrack. It's a really, really good port. It also has all of the "cheats" that the FFVII port included, and places them in convenient places. The fast forward button is a god send for grinding.

The only hiccup I've had over 6 hours of playing is some sliiiiiight stuttering at the beginning of FMV videos. This fixes itself pretty quickly, but I also don't recall if this was how it was in the PSX original.

They spent their time on this port and it really shows.

heringer

Also, now you can remove the camera panning before each battle. Biggest game changer to me.

About the iOS9 thing... honestly, I still blame Apple..

PittaGAF

If you want a game just as beautiful, have you played Ori and The Blind Forest?

I have (first 3 hours or so), but it's not on iOS and I can't really play on anything else since some years.
It's my most wanted game since it came out but I know it's impossible.

Well...after seeing how the controls work in Dust, maybe not even impossible.

awp69

I have (first 3 hours or so), but it's not on iOS and I can't really play on anything else since some years.
It's my most wanted game since it came out but I know it's impossible.

Well...after seeing how the controls work in Dust, maybe not even impossible.

Even after how the controls work for Dust, the way Ori's controls are with some of the intense chase sections, I really don't think it would be possible unless Mfi was required, which won't happen with Apple's current mindset. I play it on Xbox One, but think the PC requirements are pretty hefty for a platformer as well.

That's one game I think deserves to be played on a big screen too IMO.

Pachimari

Dust deserves to be played on the big screen as well, but if people are getting good entertainment out of a mobile port then more power to them really.

I already have Dust for PC and with the better graphics and more effects I would probably just play it on my PC, so I'm skipping the iOS version for now.

That said, are there other console/PC games for iPhone?

PittaGAF

Even after how the controls work for Dust, the way Ori's controls are with some of the intense chase sections, I really don't think it would be possible unless Mfi was required.

That's one game I think deserves to be played on a big screen too IMO.

Yeah that's why I think it's impossible, not that I really think Microsoft would do it.
Dust doesn't have tight platforming sequences like I saw in Ori (I saw a water sequences where a friend of mine almost broke the xboxone controller) but it gets really pretty intense and I'm really surprised how perfectly well it controls.

Pachimari

Does Chaos Rings III follow up on the story from Chaos Rings, Omega and Chaos Rings II? Is there ANY connection between them besides the name?

awp69

Does Chaos Rings III follow up on the story from Chaos Rings, Omega and Chaos Rings II? Is there ANY connection between them besides the name?

No connection at all. The other three have some connection, but 3 is completely different. Not only in characters but in just about every way possible. I'm not even sure why the game used the CR name other than maybe name recognition.

awp69

Yeah that's why I think it's impossible, not that I really think Microsoft would do it.
Dust doesn't have tight platforming sequences like I saw in Ori (I saw a water sequences where a friend of mine almost broke the xboxone controller) but it gets really pretty intense and I'm really surprised how perfectly well it controls.

I died probably 100 times in that water sequence alone, but oh how great it felt when I finally got past it!

My interest in Love You to Bits has piqued. I was going to pass thinking Rovio was behind it, like Tiny Thief, but it looks like some of the designers moved to Alike Studio and a developer to Pati Games. That's a relief.

I think that it might launch at $3.99 -- just below Lumino City.

Prism indeed looks gorgeous.

Ellipsis looks fun in a chaotic way. I'm guessing that your finger isn't the circle you move (making it hard to see)?
You hold on the circle to move it, so essentially you're dodging stuff with your finger.

awp69

SB vs SB:R

What a difference!

Haven't picked it up yet. Shaun Musgrave's initial impressions of Final Fantasy IX forced me to give myself an early birthday present and buy it. And even though I've been trying to steer myself away from buying a lot of ports I already have, I am still under the mindset that JRPGs really are a great fit for mobile and my preferred platform for them.

I see there's a lot more control icons in those screenshots. Does the new version still play well with all the changes?

What a difference!
The only big difference in controls is that you have a shuriken button. Having a ranged attack means they were able to remix the enemy locations, have more gun-wielding enemies in different places, etc.

Also the levels are much longer. One level in Reload is akin to three separate levels in the original game. You can see it in the second set of screenshots; in the first game, the level ends there, while in Reload, you keep going

awp69

The only big difference in controls is that you have a shuriken button. Having a ranged attack means they were able to remix the enemy locations, have more gun-wielding enemies in different places, etc.

Also the levels are much longer. One level in Reload is akin to three separate levels in the original game. You can see it in the second set of screenshots; in the first game, the levels ends there, while in Reload, you keep going

Cool. I probably won't be able to resist....

Top Bottom