• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2016 | Crashlands Bandicoot

Pachimari

TouchArcade also lists the releases every week.

Do we know when Fantasy Life 2 is releasing and if it is getting a localization?

awp69

Most notable releases last week for me were Space
Grunts (rogue like), All is Lost (sci-fi runner) and The Greedy Cave (rogue like RPG).

Greedy has hooked me the most, but all three are good.

colinp

Banned
I'm an idiot. Ever have that game you quickly glance at and thinks it's just immediately not for you?

I looked at Hoplite and for some reason thought the mechanics were way different than what they were. This game is so great and right up my alley. So glad I just randomly gave it a go.

Hah, yeah Hopkite is amazing.
Tales of a Viking is a great Hoplite-like that goes to some interesting places. Highly recommend it, too.

Pachimari

Guys you should really try out Splat Wars, it's free. I just played a match and it's totally like Splatoon. Your team needs to paint the map with your color, and you refill ink by swimming, and you can even super jump like in Splatoon.

So if you are itching for some Splatoon in pocket form and on the go, this wouldn't be half bad.

I haven't checked if we can set up a private game, but there seems to be a Lobby feature.

Pachimari

Man, we need more activity in here. It's nothing like it was years ago. But you guys hanging around in here are cool. Congrats with the promotion to mod by the way.

I just bought Adventures of Mana as well, and it seems really cool. I like the visuals and the simple battles, controls and plot so far. The ring-system is intuitive too. Love it so far.

What are some other great JRPG's? I got:

Final Fantasy Tactics, 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, Adventures of Mana, Dragon Quest 1, 4, 5 and The World Ends With You. I plan on buying Dragon Quest VI, Secret of Mana and the rest of the Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests.

autoduelist

Tactics Maiden is the best SRPG in the AppStore (aside from ports like FFT, XCOM, etc). Since you like Kingturn, it's a nobrainer. Same dev.

I literally just beat Kingturn RPG [great game], and know about Tactics Maiden, but since it's by the same dev I figured I should play a few games in between to prevent burnout since I assume it plays similarly.

If you like Kingturn, did you check out Tactics Maiden?

These two threads have Strategy/RPG sections:
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1160360
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921676

Also thanks for mentioning Decromancer. It's right up my alley and I had never heard of it

Checking those threads out now.

Decromancer is amazing. I've got... man, 30-50 hours in it? It's free, and I've paid zero to play... I'm actually probably going to buy something just to support the game and how it's designed to be very playable w/o buying anything.

I wrote a review for another thread, reposting here:

Found another game I -really- like.

Decromancer -- rpg / tactical card game

Freemium, but easily playable w/ no money [more on this later]

Gameplay -- world map, quests, side quests... you level up not only yourself [more points for using cards, etc] but can level up each card to an 'elite' version. Story is actually pretty well written. Injured cards stay injured between battles, but a simple return to a camp will heal all.

Combat mechanics --
You and your enemy each have a front and back row, 5 cards long. You place up to 3 cards per turn. You have access to your entire collection each turn -- no shuffling, etc. Early cards are fairly simple -- melee, archers, healers, etc. but as the game progresses you'll get lots of really cool cards with tons of possible effects.

What can you 'pay' for?
3 things, really, and neither are remotely necessary. The 'premium' currency are asteroids, but you can -easily- earn these for free. Early, repeatable side quests can earn you a couple per mission, but by mid game you can rake them in. Since you'll be playing the game, experimenting with cards, and upgrading cards, you'll soon find yourself rich in these.

These asteroids can be spent on three things --
1) Gives you mana to heal all your cards. Never, ever necessary as a simple trip back to camp will do this for free [the trip will take 10 seconds as your unit traverses the world map]. Mana restores over time, so sometimes you can just heal with free mana anyway.
2) An asteroid is worth 10 experience points for your cards. This is next to nothing, battles give way more. No reason whatsoever to use them in this way.
3) Every 5 or 6 hours, you're offered a card [sometimes really good ones not yet available to you in game]. The first couple times you won't be able to afford these, and you can buy the asteroids to do so. But by mid game, you're rich enough that you can buy all of these w/o thinking. for reference, I have like 300k gold and 100 asteroids in my bank, and haven't spent real money -- doing some fun side missions against really hard enemies often reward 20k gold, 3-5 asteroids, and 25+ experience for your troops.

Early on, when you have no elite troops you might struggle a bit to get them all leveled up, but that's fun and challenging. Eventually you'll have them all elite, and just need to level up new cards you find which is easy enough. [early cards need 15 - 90 elite points to level up, later cards can be 200, etc... but I'm earning 35exp per battle so even if i get a new card it's elite after a handful of battles.

Highly recommended. I'm going to buy some asteroids just to support the game, because i really appreciate that they made it so playable w/o spending anything.

I'd also highly recommend Templar Battleforce RPG for SRPG, but it's $6.99 (currently on sale from $9.99).

This is the one I'm really considering, actually. It's way more than I'd like to spend, but it seems near perfect.

i did just buy Star Traders RPG Elite which I believe is the same dev? So I might play that first before spending $ on Templar.

Never heard of Decromancer either. Looks good.

Edit: Hey! Congrats, More Badass!

It's really good.

I'm an idiot. Ever have that game you quickly glance at and thinks it's just immediately not for you?

I looked at Hoplite and for some reason thought the mechanics were way different than what they were. This game is so great and right up my alley. So glad I just randomly gave it a go.

Hoplite is absolutely terrific. It's the first game I found/bought when I got my tablet for xmas. Tactical minimalism at it's best, it's fun unlocking new commands, and it plays different every time. Great pick up and play game, too.

The Tales of a Viking game looks solid too.

So yeah Decromancer is great. And maybe one of my favorite card game/RPG hybrids on mobile. Ton of polish, ton of depth in the combat, nice art style, free but fair

Pachimari

It's way better than it was a year ago. The fact that we're 6 pages in after a week and that a mobile focused thread in Community outpaces the PC focused Indie Games thread is impressive.

Yeah, that's actually very nice.

So I just contacted Kabam, and asked if they could unlink my Contest of Champions account - it's gonna be interesting when they have time to reply. I can't wait to start up Contest of Champions anew.

By the way, how do I stream games? I think there's an app doing this isn't there?

Pachimari

Ugh I hate Beat Sneak Bandit and I want to love it. It's so hard to tap to the beat and I miss most of the time, no matter if I look at the icon at the top or the jumping tv's. It is so hard and I'm only at level 2.

awp69

Ugh I hate Beat Sneak Bandit and I want to love it. It's so hard to tap to the beat and I miss most of the time, no matter if I look at the icon at the top or the jumping tv's. It is so hard and I'm on at level 2.

For some reason, I always had trouble with the game too and I like rhythm games. It's a great concept, but just have trouble clicking with it.

Having an issue with my iPhone audio. It'll just decrease automatically while listening to music and podcasts. Has anyone encountered this before?

That briefly happens whenever I get notifications on my iPhone but it returns to the previous/current volume. Are you experiencing something different/arbitrary/lasting?
Yeah, it's not related to notifications. Different from that. You actually see the volume screen pop up and decrease, sometimes down to mute, as if I was pressing the Volume button. And it only started happening last week

TheExodu5

Banned
Wow. Thanks for the Decromancer recommendation. I adore the battle system. Just the right mix of depth/speed/grind for me.

Meier

I am enjoying Punch Club but man is it a constant uphill swim.. seems next to impossible to have enough money to have enough food and to gain skills without constantly losing them. I feel like it needs a good bit of tuning.

Yeah, it's not related to notifications. Different from that. You actually see the volume screen pop up and decrease, sometimes down to mute, as if I was pressing the Volume button. And it only started happening last week

Been a while since I had the issue, and it doesn't sound identical to what you're experiencing, but I had a problem where my fun was periodically reducing the volume level to a "safe" level and you had to opt to turn it back up again. I doubt you're getting any sort of prompt though?

Been a while since I had the issue, and it doesn't sound identical to what you're experiencing, but I had a problem where my fun was periodically reducing the volume level to a "safe" level and you had to opt to turn it back up again. I doubt you're getting any sort of prompt though?
No prompts unfortunately

awp69

Heroes Reborn: Enigma is IGN's free game of the month:

http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/heroes-reborn-enigma-free

Honestly didn't even bother to watch the new show, but supposedly the game is a pretty good Portal-ish puzzler.

Edit: holy crap, a 1.45 GB download for a TV tie-in? Yikes. Not sure I'll be making room for that one unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Edit 2: It is by Phosphor Games (Horn, Dark Meadow) so maybe it's worth it.

okno

Sounds to me like you have something sticky in your volume button, unless this is some strange isolated bug in 9.1.2? What phone/version are you on? I'm on a 6s+ on 9.1 and have never had this happen, at least not yet.

Do we know if the mobile Final Fantasy IX port is coming soon? Trying to decide between starting Chaos Rings 3, Neptunia VII, or holding out until IX hits.

pronk420

I'm sorry because I think this has been asked a million times but I can't find it by search, does final fantasy tactics work on iOS 9? The text in the store is kind of ambiguous about it

Pachimari

Two new Lumines games arriving on mobile platforms in 2016

T5xtiyD.jpg

Pachimari

Wasn't there a Lumines on iOS some years ago? I should go check my purchase history.

Oh, the new ones seem to be portrait mode:

ltEx2pc.jpg

Came to think of it. There's not really anything I'm looking forward to on iOS, or maybe I'm just not informed about upcoming releases. Right now my list in Excel basically looks like this: Final Fantasy IX, Lumines 2016, Lumines VS, Miitomo.

autoduelist

Wow. Thanks for the Decromancer recommendation. I adore the battle system. Just the right mix of depth/speed/grind for me.

man, I'm glad so many are digging it as much as i am, and i'm glad i mentioned it. I cold found it in the google play store, and took a chance on it even though it was 'free' and could have been trash. I'm pretty deep in, and it's still surprising me with new enemy factions with entire sets of differentiated cards. And there are some beastly side quests that decimate what i thought was a pretty powerful set of cards. So much content, and I still haven't remotely felt in-game pressure to spend money.

PittaGAF

I feel like a total idiot having waited so long before buying Dust.

It's FANTASTIC.

Chapter 3 and 4 are GLORIOUS.

Actually it's one of those rare games that doesn't shoot all its arrows at the beginning, but it gets better and better the more you progress, both in story, scenarios and above all gameplay which is weirdly much less chaotic than the very beginning (and I like it even better so).

There are some enemies which I won't spoil that require combos alternated to the projectile magic thing...so you won't get anywhere just smashing the attack button...and so far the controls really delivered, both on iPad and iPhone.

I know I'm really late to the party but in case someone was on the fence like me, I highly recommend it.

It's already up there with Aquaria, Waking Mars, Swordigo and other favs of mine.

Can't wait to play more...seems like it's really long too (I'm 6 hours in, around 40 percent and I have yet to do a single side quest out of a dozen already found).

killercow

It's FANTASTIC.

Actually it's one of those rare games that doesn't shoot all its arrows at the beginning, but it gets better and better the more you progress, both in story, scenarios and above all gameplay which is weirdly much less chaotic than the very beginning (and I like it even better so).

There are some enemies which I won't spoil that require combos alternated to the projectile magic thing...so you won't get anywhere just smashing the attack button...and so far the controls really delivered, both on iPad and iPhone.

I know I'm really late to the party but in case someone was on the fence like me, I highly recommend it.

It's already up there with Aquaria, Waking Mars, Swordigo and other favs of mine.

Can't wait to play more...seems like it's really long too (I'm 6 hours in, around 40 percent and I have yet to do a single side quest out of a dozen already found).

I waited for the announced MFi patch to get it but it never came. I think the developer just stopped supporting the game. Might get it at some point though.

PittaGAF

I waited for the announced MFi patch to get it but it never came. I think the developer just stopped supporting the game. Might get it at some point though.

I do not have a MiFi controller but so far the controls weren't a problem at all, on the contrary.
I even almost totally eliminated the UI transparency and I can play with my thumb finding the buttons out of my memory.
There are even some frantic sequences with jumps and platforming along with combos, and so far I didn't had a single problem at normal difficulty (and I'm not a pro by any means).
I actually started dying at chapter 3 but it was always my fault in understanding how to damage some enemies and never noticing I was low on HP in the heat of the battle.
I really recommend the game...had I had a MiFi controller and the game supported it, I'm not even sure I would bother to set up all that...game is that good with a nice balance of story, exploration and combat so far (I feared combat was the thing you did 99 percent of the time, but it seems not the case so far).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

It's FANTASTIC.

Glad you're enjoying the game but I can't imagine playing this properly in the later areas on touch controls (played it through to completion on PS4).
I just checked my history, and Lumines Touch really is gone. That is some scary shit, if publishers can just take it away from me. Hmm.
That's why you should always keep iTunes copies of games you want to keep (and versions of games in case of sudden business model changes *cough*).

Pachimari

I'm disappointed that effects and such aren't in the iOS version, but of course we're talking about mobile. I think I'll just play it on PC, but I'm happy they managed to somewhat port it to the mobile platforms as well.

That's why you should always keep iTunes copies of games you want to keep (and versions of games in case of sudden business model changes *cough*).

It might actually be in my iTunes library if I didn't throw it all away.

PittaGAF

Glad you're enjoying the game but I can't imagine playing this properly in the later areas on touch controls (played it through to completion on PS4).

Eh...I plan to play it to completion...I'll report.
So far Aquaria controls were much more problematic, especially against bosses.
I've read several people that completed the game on TA...so at least I know it's not impossibile.
I'll report anyway, if I play like in the past 2 days...I'm not sure it will last me much longer than next week!!!

Chuckpebble

Guys, how do I transfer a save data using iexplorer? Where are the saves located?

Does iexplorer even work with iOS 9? Been forever since I used it and I think save locations have changed over the years.

Apparently you could use iExplorer to browse for a save file in an iTunes backup of the source device and then move it to a current iTunes backup of your target device, then do a restore. I haven't tried this yet, but its something I'll be doing if MHFU ever starts working again.

via reddit

awp69

Awesome, but I gotta finish some stuff like Chaos Rings 3 before I even consider it. I also have the console version so we'll see.

Lately I've been hesitant to get games I already have on another platform (like Dust, for instance) because there are too many good iOS originals or PC ports (still don't play much at all on PC). Don't have the time for that backlog alone. :(

Pachimari

Cross posting my FF IX impressions:

I just bought Adventures of Mana for my phone two days ago, and now I got this as well. Have just played 1:08 hour of the game, and I think it is fantastic. Such a rich atmosphere, and it really draws you in. I like the whole premise of the start, the whole scenery and characters. I do like this start more than I did FF VII - which I am currently playing on PC - and FF X, so it bodes well for me. First time playing it too.

Controls is great, with a virtual stick but I have no problem with those, and the menus are easy to navigate by tapping or swiping, like the other games. You can also tap to make the character walk, instead of using a virtual stick.

I paid $18.

Top Bottom