• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming June 2015 | The future is now

Shaneus

WHAAAAAAAAAT
Edit: I suspect it's more emulated than using some kind of engine developed for iOS. Original resolution (so not upscaled) and a lot of the menu options refer specifically to DOS options from the original game (like audio bitrate, options to turn sky/shadows on/off etc.). But it does have MFi controller support, as tested on my DS3 with Controllers For All.

It's a great port in terms of how it is for the original game, but I wish a little more happened with it than what appears to be emulation. Hell, I even found in the app data for it a regular .ini file that looks like it's from the original game. Definitely worth picking up for the price, though!

Edit: Okay, so I hadn't actually read that TA article:
The port was done by Mark Randel , co-founder of Terminal Reality, the game's original developer. The studio closed down in 2013, but Randel ported the game to mobile and released it this week without anyone picking it up until some folks connected to the game started sharing it on Thursday afternoon.
All is forgiven, then!

Was really hoping it was more like Spy Party where you had to really analyze the Target to take them out. It's not. There's a big red icon over the head of your contract.
It's more about being stealthy and timing your shots so you can hide the bodies of guards and kill your targets undetected

Rlan

Just want to repost for a new page:

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg

Finally out of soft launch! Download for free now!

If you're a fan of Jetpack Joyride, you should really enjoy this!

Any feedback would be appreciated!

MagicD

Hey everyone,

As a newcomer developer to this thread, I hope I'm doing this right. I'd love to have everyone check out my new game "Riff the Robot", and get it featured here, so if I'm going about this wrong, please be gentle. ;)

A couple of years ago I left Newtoy (which was the original developer of "Words With Friends", until the company got bought out by Zygna), to start a new studio, Oh So Shiny. We're a tiny 2.5-man team that built Riff from the ground up mostly working out of Starbucks. It's our take on Pinball with some heavy influences from Peggle and Pachinko. While we're now officially launched worldwide, we're still tweaking, improving and adding to the game, and I'd love to hear your feedback.

Also, yes, I know that Freemium is a naughty word around these parts, but the game is completely playable without paying a cent.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions about the game's development, and or the tools we used to build it. Looking forward to the discussion!

iTunes Store: http://itunes.apple.com/app/id901563461

Here's our youtube trailer: https://youtu.be/Mv7fWcVNsUE

Here are a few screenshots:

RustyO

Oh! I thought that the whole game was played at sniper range? You have to hide the bodies??

I intrepreted that as the whole game is played at sniper range, but part of it is to take out targets "creatively" to hide the bodies... e.g. like they are leaning over a balcony and fall over it when shot...

FerranMG

Just want to repost for a new page:

screen322x572.jpeg

If you're a fan of Jetpack Joyride, you should really enjoy this!

Any feedback would be appreciated!

This is a legit successor to Jetpack Joyride.
I haven't really enjoyed a runner as much as I have with JJ.
This seems to check all the elements that made JJ amazing, but at the same time it's different enough to not look like a clone.

I'm liking the vertical scrolling.
The gameplay is really tight, and I love all the (how do you call them?) tricks you can do while rappelling. It seems there must be quite a bit of fine tuning to make them all work so smoothly (ricochet specifically).

As for feedback:
I had troubles understanding the randomizer items. I thought I got 1 free roll per day, and that the items I got as a result would be active for 24h. Like, for free. Turns out they only last for 3 runs, and I was being charged 1250 without noticing it for "auto" rolls. So, I'd say the flow is not clear enough here.

About the mission to leave Rigid Peak in 15 seconds: is there a trick to do that, or I have to wait until I get a good combination of items and a rocket in the beginning of the game? It's the one mission that's been resisting me.

Also, not really a fan of how the art style looks in still images, but it looks great in-game. Can't really say why. :p

Finally, I'd rather have the daily stuff (rolls, stars...) reset at midnight, as opposed to every 24 hours.
This way I know I can always do them while commuting in the morning. Otherwise, sometimes I miss them.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to playing more of it. Looks really good so far.

grmlin

Genuinely shocked at how good You Must Build a Boat is. I loved 10000000, and expected this to be a rehash of the same game. Which it is, but there's so much more of everything, and it's so much better in every way.

Oh, I played a ton of 10000000, it was so good.

I will check You Must Build a Boat out for sure, when I find some time (I will probably need it)

Rlan

This is a legit successor to Jetpack Joyride.
I haven't really enjoyed a runner as much as I have with JJ.
This seems to check all the elements that made JJ amazing, but at the same time it's different enough to not look like a clone.

I'm liking the vertical scrolling.
The gameplay is really tight, and I love all the (how do you call them?) tricks you can do while rappelling. It seems there must be quite a bit of fine tuning to make them all work so smoothly (ricochet specifically).

As for feedback:
I had troubles understanding the randomizer items. I thought I got 1 free roll per day, and that the items I got as a result would be active for 24h. Like, for free. Turns out they only last for 3 runs, and I was being charged 1250 without noticing it for "auto" rolls. So, I'd say the flow is not clear enough here.

About the mission to leave Rigid Peak in 15 seconds: is there a trick to do that, or I have to wait until I get a good combination of items and a rocket in the beginning of the game? It's the one mission that's been resisting me.

Also, not really a fan of how the art style looks in still images, but it looks great in-game. Can't really say why. :p

Finally, I'd rather have the daily stuff (rolls, stars...) reset at midnight, as opposed to every 24 hours.
This way I know I can always do them while commuting in the morning. Otherwise, sometimes I miss them.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to playing more of it. Looks really good so far.

Awesome, thanks man!

The Leaving Rigid peak quickly can be done by having a lucky run where you don't need to stop very often, but can certainly be quickened by getting a lucky run where it blasts you through, like, 10 rockets. Alternatively, upgrading the Remix Start speeds you up extremely fast for when you get it.

The timing thing for spins is a server time thing - we do the same for the SAM robot in Jetpack, it's so you can't game it by screwing with your phone's clock to get items easily.Also attempts to reset during the day (for most places). I'll pass it on though!

The art style is definitely different compared to Jetpack Joyride and Fruit Ninja - The Artist, Motze, is beind the style. He's been at Halfbrick for over 10 years at this point, and worked on Colossatron and a bunch of other stuff.

okno

Just want to chime in and say that Riff the Robot is A BLAST! Congrats MagicD! It's a really wonderful game. Excellent presentation, perfect controls, has that perfect "just one more" hook, and is different enough from its influences to really be it's own thing. It wears its influences on its sleeve proudly, but does not merely just copy them. While its annoying to have an energy system, the bonus reel at the end of each stage is more than generous with free energy. Been playing all morning and haven't gotten close to running out!

Also, Radical Rappelling is great, too. Although, am I blind, or is there no way to upgrade stuff? Just cosmetic things to buy with coins? I'm only rank 3, so maybe it unlocks at a later level? im probably just blind.

Li Kao

Li Kao's return to iOS weekly report #2 ( ^_^)

Sorcery
Being a literary guy at heart, I really want to love this story games trend (Visual Novels / Choose your own adventure). Problem is that while I have a fairly good grasp of the English language, I still struggle with "novel writing" (texts where the language is richer than your typical video game / message board etc...).
But my biggest grip is that at the end of the day, I truly dislike the sucker punch part of the choose your own adventure games. You picked the wrong option mate, game over, is not fun to me. I think I would be more interested in VN where choices are fewer or more plot altering than game ending.
And let's face it, Sorcery is based on an old book, the plot is interesting... if you live in the early 80's.
Oh that's not talking about the quality of the game, Inkle has a great reputation for obvious reasons here.

Card Crawl
Great little card game. There is nothing to hate here and I will gladly play it a ton more. That said, the game feels quite limited at the moment. Let's hope the update brings a little more meat to transform the game from great LITTLE game to simply great game.
Or a richer sequel. I will be there day one anyway.

Same as another poster, the overall game presentation don't really click with me. The whole castle upgrade is limited. And I really don't like the speed at which one must operate to be really effective, the game speed quite often paralyze my brain.
Still solid, will surely buy the sequel sometime.

Leo's Fortune
I'm the only one on earth to hate this game. Eh, that's life.

Marvel Future Fight
Well, two days without playing, here you go dev. The free to play grindaton is strong in this one and, well, when you get down to it the core experience is really too weak to fuel a continuous desire to play.

-

Will play again on a daily basis
Card Crawl, 10000000

Should play again
Vainglory, Hearstone, Space Marshalls

Should play again, but have no desire to
Sorcery, Leo's Fortune

Will actively avoid playing
Injustice, Contest of Champions, Marvel Future Fight

Must try
Til Mornings Light, Lost WIthin, Spartan Assault, Chaos Rings Omega, Nub's quest, Hero Emblems

New releases to try
Ember Conflict, Earthcore CCG

Note -
Felling like playing Shadowrun on iOS, the few hours I played on PC and the interface screamed tablet anyway, so...

- I don't really like the size of this post. I want to make a feedback but not annoy the shit out of you :-/ -

The Sorcery games get more open and less linear with each game; Sorcery 3 is an open world. I'd recommend continuing the series. The choices you make, even seeming small ones, can have major effects and cause big deviations down the line

And don't worry about the post size. The more impressions, the better

Li Kao

The Sorcery games get more open and less linear with each game; Sorcery 3 is an open world. I'd recommend continuing the series. The choices you make, even seeming small ones, can have major effects and cause big deviations down the line

And don't worry about the post size. The more impressions, the better

Yeah I understand my input on Sorcery is not developed enough, there ARE a lot of things Inkle do really well here. It's just that I think I have a personal problem with the game genre. I know that you are right and should play more, I mean, the game does nothing wrong in itself. Hmm, apart from the shitty spellbook interface where you know there should be useful get out of jail cards but can't remember a fourth of it.

MagicD

Just want to chime in and say that Riff the Robot is A BLAST! Congrats MagicD! It's a really wonderful game. Excellent presentation, perfect controls, has that perfect "just one more" hook, and is different enough from its influences to really be it's own thing. It wears its influences on its sleeve proudly, but does not merely just copy them. While its annoying to have an energy system, the bonus reel at the end of each stage is more than generous with free energy. Been playing all morning and haven't gotten close to running out!

Thanks so much! Man, I tell you that going indie is a huge rollercoaster of emotions every day, but reading things like that really help keep us going! We're actively watching how players respond to the energy, timers and ads, so your feedback is especially helpful on that front. Some of those things can be adjusted in realtime from the server so no need to push a new client.

PittaGAF

Li Kao's return to iOS weekly report #2 ( ^_^)

- I don't really like the size of this post. I want to make a feedback but not annoy the shit out of you :-/ -

Personally I loved reading all this.
Please don't stop.

You reminded me I should check out Card Crawl!!!

And do know that Shadowrun plays wonderfully on iPad.

pdk27

Thanks so much! Man, I tell you that going indie is a huge rollercoaster of emotions every day, but reading things like that really help keep us going! We're actively watching how players respond to the energy, timers and ads, so your feedback is especially helpful on that front. Some of those things can be adjusted in realtime from the server so no need to push a new client.

Giving it a download. I'll try it out after work.

IGN's June Free Game of the Month is the ad-free version of Trivia Crack, which normally sells for $2.99:

http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/trivia-crack-free

Also, it took a year, but the program is open in 13 new countries, including Brazil and Mexico, finally. Localized versions of the landing page:

http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/preguntados-free
http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/perguntados-free

Thanks! Downloaded.

Matt Frost

Keep calm?!?! You m$ther F*%#ing a$$hole! LOL.

Seriously, pretty happy and calm here on GAF without having to deal with the crap on that other forum. Much friendlier here.

And only Android game I can't get enough lately is the Talos Principle.

Anyway, don't be a stranger. Drop in on these threads or you may miss something awesome!

Haha LOL. Not a complete stranger yet... I still read this one and other sites. Still buy some games (GW3, YMBAB,...). I will be back every now and then :)

I wish my friend, I wish.
Call me Jon Snow, I know nothing.

But Omega it's among my top (on paper) games of this summer....along with This War of mine and Deathwatch.

Will keep an eye on those games my friend. Will keep an eye opened at all times...

...Radical Rappelling...

Its fun to play and sort of new, spiritual successor to the mighty JJ (deleted it after it went F2P)... but the IAP... not for me. Its kind of in your face... and it desperately needs GameCenter. I will reinstall it when GC arrives.

Blades of Brim is another one I tried and its also fun, but again, full of IAP.

Will stick to Dragon Hills and Worm Run for the time being.

Any news on when Warbits is coming out? It's been on my "iOS games to buy" list for what feels like forever.

No clue at all. Last time I heard, they were doing the iPad app first. On my high list as well.

awp69

Playing Space Marshalls are really enjoying it. Any other good tactical top down shooters on iOS?

Hey infiniteloop, you're in luck. Pixelbite announced their next game Xenowerk

Just to follow up on this. I'm beta testing another dual stick top down shooter that's mixed with a rogue-like called Leap of Fate. You're a sorcerer in modern day battling aliens/monsters and must progress through the entire game without dying to succeed (aka the rogue like elements). Lots of upgrades and unlockables.

I'm enjoying it so far. Does have some sizable IAPs so not sure if it will be F2P but a little hard to tell because rogue-likes in general are meant to be difficult,

One to keep and eye out for though.

Just to follow up on this. I'm beta testing another dual stick top down shooter that's mixed with a rogue-like called Leap of Fate. You're a sorcerer in modern day battling aliens/monsters and must progress through the entire game without dying to succeed (aka the rogue like elements). Lots of upgrades and unlockables.

I'm enjoying it so far. Does have some sizable IAPs so not sure if it will be F2P but a little hard to tell because rogue-likes in general are meant to be difficult,

Heh, was going to ask if you were interesting in beta testing it. Got invited to the beta today

JCho133

You're testing that? Lucky bastard!

I wanted to so badly but it's iPad only atm :-/

Shaneus

Also, Radical Rappelling is great, too. Although, am I blind, or is there no way to upgrade stuff? Just cosmetic things to buy with coins? I'm only rank 3, so maybe it unlocks at a later level? im probably just blind.
Agreed on both counts. F2P is actually getting pretty good now (for the most part)!

Awesome news!!!
Woo!

awp69

You're testing that? Lucky bastard!

I wanted to so badly but it's iPad only atm :-/

Should have gotten that Mini 2 a while ago. But hopefully the Mini 4 will be a long in the fall.

But, yeah, game is pretty cool. Nice blend of genres. And even though they just started beta testing (to my knowledge anyway), haven't hit any major bugs so maybe it won't be too long before release.

It's funny how different devs have different ideas on how far along they should be before going into beta.

I'm testing another game, which I won't name, that is waayyyy far from being even close to something like Leap of Fate. Crashes all over the place, menus all messed up and just really rough in its current state.

So PES Club Manager is actually pretty good. Not a huge fan of manager type games but the 3D match engine is based on PES 15 and looks and flows wonderful. Wish they'd make a traditional game using this match engine.

awp69

Awesome, thank you.

Card Crawl is getting a big update next week too with some new modes. Temporarily had it off my device. Need to re-download it.

It'll be on sale starting the 11th for $. 99. Of course, if you want to support the devs, the current $2 price is more than worth it.

Card Crawl is getting a big update next week too with some new modes. Temporarily had it off my device. Need to re-download it.

It'll be on sale starting the 11th for $. 99. Of course, if you want to support the devs, the current $2 price is more than worth it.
I've never played solitaire, is the game still fun as a RPG?

awp69

I've never played solitaire, is the game still fun as a RPG?

It's much more of a card battler than an RPG. You can collect certain skill cards, but there's no story or leveling up and such from an RPG point of view. You use weapon, potion and other cards within a 52-card deck with the goal, obviously, of killing the enemies. You can also build customized deck, but there's no progression other than collecting and managing a deck.

It's fun and still takes some strategy.

Also, it's really not a pure solitaire game. Never get why some games call themselves "solitaire" when the rules of its namesake are not the same. Main common denominator is that you play until the deck is gone, or, in this case, you lose (hit points down to zero). Easy to learn.

That's good. I went ahead and bought it and am enjoying it, but it does feel lacking. The only real objective it seems to have is trying to get as much gold as possible during each run. Really like it's visual style.

But, yeah, it's not as much of a solitaire game as I thought. I hadn't read too much up on it in the first place and had only read somewhere it was a "solitaire RPG."

Emarv

I think Card Crawl is incredible. June 11th will give it a much needed update, but the core gameplay is really strong and the perfect short session game for me. Yeah, it's just a high score game, but that score at least goes to getting you new special cards.

okno

The only problem I have with the game is the internet connection requirement. Is this something that can be worked around? It's incredibly disappointing for me, as I do most of my gaming while I am commuting on the subway. I rarely have time to play games when I am at home, so it's kind of a huge bummer.

Other than that, I really love the game.

Top Bottom