• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I just picked up a game called Swing King. It's kind of like a mix of Angry Birds and Cut the Rope. Loving it so far! Oh yeah, it's free right now.

Wide Sky has been updated with touch controls, adding 3GS support. I had bought this game accidentally when it first came out thinking it was universal, only to find out it's an iphone game with finicky gyroscope gameplay. I might give it another try now, it sure looks beautiful.

Awesome news. Game was gorgeous but yeah, the gameplay was abominable.

PittaGAF

Just announced.

The Room will have a free new chapter in Summer, which will be used to set the basis for The Room 2 out next Autumn ('new more spectacular setting').

Can't wait.

Flunkie

Banned
So we will get to keep our RR3 progress via the CLOUD or no? If cloud saving isn't enabled with the NA release I will quit playing.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FYI, we're piloting a video where we run down the day's notable game launches and price drops in super informal (hopefully) informative form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqdne2JuJf8

We blasted through today's 10 games and it was still 17 minutes. Tomorrow we'll be testing an even shorter one where we only show footage of the most top-tier choices.

We're also probably going to test a format where each game gets its own video and they're tied together in a YT playlist, so people can easily jump around.

Anyway, point is, if this is/isn't helpful or valuable let me know.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
FYI, we're piloting a video where we run down the day's notable game launches and price drops in super informal (hopefully) informative form:

We blasted through today's 10 games and it was still 17 minutes. Tomorrow we'll be testing an even shorter one where we only show footage of the most top-tier choices.

We're also probably going to test a format where each game gets its own video and they're tied together in a YT playlist, so people can easily jump around.

Ok, I don't normally visit IGN and I rarely check out iOS games/info but this is pretty cool and something useful that will definitely make me subscribe to the series

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

Seems like a good idea, I think some people may find some hidden gems through this that they would otherwise look over

Also, shorten those links in the description

Shaneus

This sounds like a really good idea, whether it be the one video or a playlist. A playlist may be better because then you can set a restriction for each title far easier (say, no video over 30 seconds or whatever) than with one big vid.

But yeah... good thinking! Will definitely subscribe.

matt360

Got a 3DS for Xmas so I've been out of the iOS loop for a while now, but I just finished The Room last night and made it up to episode 4 of The Walking Dead. Both games are extremely satisfying.

My question is, are there any other, for lack of a better term, "big" games coming out in the next six months or so?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Got a 3DS for Xmas so I've been out of the iOS loop for a while now, but I just finished The Room last night and made it up to episode 4 of The Walking Dead. Both games are extremely satisfying.

My question is, are there any other, for lack of a better term, "big" games coming out in the next six months or so?

Ahah, I'm playing the exact same games right now and up to ch4 of TWD myself! :D

Word of advice, the app has some widely reported nasty bugs, so I suggest to always copying your save on another slot as well.
Also if you like me encounter the "chapter disappeared" bug (Episode 2 went from installed to "GET!") just switch off (completely) your iPad amd then reboot, chapter(s) will magically reappear.

Did you play Ghost Trick, Phoenix Wright, Broken Sword DC, Hector ep1/3, The World Ends With You, Final Fantasy III&IV and other Telltale games already?

ToxicAdam

Kingdom rush 2 should be out by the end of spring,

Star wars pinball is coming out in a few weeks.

Heel

Great idea, but I'd like to be able to subscribe to a feed of these videos and not the entire IGN channel. Maybe an RSS feed for the website or something?

Reese-015

Are the .99 cents EA games worth getting? Mass Effect Infiltrator, Dead Space, Fifa 13 etc. Are they playable without have to make iAPs?

Dead Space is just ok, pretty meh aside from the novelty of a game looking and feeling like Dead Space on your phone. Infiltrator, on the other hand, is really great imo. The 'story' is crap but gameplay-wise it's a fantastic shooter with great touch controls. I almost always have it on my phone, I've finished it and I've deleted it several times but I always end up reinstalling it to be able to jump in whenever and try to ace all the level sections, it's great stuff.

matt360

Ahah, I'm playing the exact same games right now and up to ch4 of TWD myself! :D

Word of advice, the app has some widely reported nasty bugs, so I suggest to always copying your save on another slot as well.
Also if you like me encounter the "chapter disappeared" bug (Episode 2 went from installed to "GET!") just switch off (completely) your iPad amd then reboot, chapter(s) will magically reappear.

Did you play Ghost Trick, Phoenix Wright, Broken Sword DC, Hector ep1/3, The World Ends With You, Final Fantasy III&IV and other Telltale games already?

I did encounter that very same bug, and it actually made me second-guess whether I truly bought episode 2 or not. I clicked "GET" and then it just magically popped up to "PLAY" with my save luckily still intact. Have people been having trouble with their save files on iOS? I've heard about problems with the XBL version.

I have played Ghost Trick, Phoenix Wright, and TWEWY all back on the DS. I did buy FF Tactics for iPhone since I had never played it before. I also played through Bastion on iPad. I was really interested in Baldur's Gate but I've heard bad things about the controls. Apparently an update was in the works, any idea if that has been released?

PFD

I did encounter that very same bug, and it actually made me second-guess whether I truly bought episode 2 or not. I clicked "GET" and then it just magically popped up to "PLAY" with my save luckily still intact. Have people been having trouble with their save files on iOS? I've heard about problems with the XBL version.

I have played Ghost Trick, Phoenix Wright, and TWEWY all back on the DS. I did buy FF Tactics for iPhone since I had never played it before. I also played through Bastion on iPad. I was really interested in Baldur's Gate but I've heard bad things about the controls. Apparently an update was in the works, any idea if that has been released?

BG:EE was updated with much improved touch controls and tons of bug fixes. It's a great ipad title.

muddream

Banned

That's very helpful, I'd subscribe a playlist of these. I'm guessing short versions would get more views, but I prefer footage in case a game sounds strange, but looks interesting in motion.

It's shit like this that pisses me off about iOS gaming. This happens to me all the time.

87C1A4EA-6D64-429F-8C74-310EF4046E74-13498-000003967E6F9ACB_zpse78766da.jpg

Acheteedo

Anyone have any suggestions for a relaxing turn based (as in, no timer) puzzle game like Connectrode, Bejeweled or Drop7? I need games like that so I can listen to podcasts while playing a game that requires little attention. I'm super bored of the one I have.

Shaneus

Anyone have any suggestions for a relaxing turn based (as in, no timer) puzzle game like Connectrode, Bejeweled or Drop7? I need games like that so I can listen to podcasts while playing a game that requires little attention. I'm super bored of the one I have.
Chip... something... has a mode that is timerless. But it isn't as chilled as Connectrode though. Love that game.

ParityBit

Puzzle & Dragons :)

Acheteedo

Puzzle & Dragons isn't out in the UK :( indeed that looks like a good option if it ever comes out here.

Sadly I couldn't find the Chip-something game :S

EDIT - Oh, is it Chip Chain?

EDIT 2 - Chip Chain is bloody perfect, thanks for that suggestion, exactly what I wanted.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Oh boy, I'm a bit out of the loop and I didn't know Year Walk had finally gotten a release date. Hour 1. Smart thing to release a free companion app, hopefully it gets more people interested.

Zia

I'm interested to see what the response is. It is a very obtuse game. The polar opposite of Bumpy Road. I didn't have the companion app when I played either, so I'm wondering if that helps you along or merely serves to explain some of the folklore. Regardless, it's a wonderful game without comparison on iOS and is worth $4 simply for the aesthetic.

PittaGAF

To amend myself for even mispelling the name of the game I was interested in....

App description (Universal, USD $3.99):

In the old days man tried to catch a glimpse of the future in the strangest of ways.

Experience the ancient Swedish phenomena of year walking through a different kind of first person adventure that blurs the line between two and three dimensions as well as reality and the supernatural.

Venture out into the dark woods where strange creatures roam, on a vision quest set in 19th century Sweden. Solve cryptic puzzles, touch and listen in your search to foresee the future and finally discover if your loved one will love you back.

Mysteries and clues await everywhere in Year Walk, but to fully understand the events that took place on that cold New Year's Eve, you will have to delve deeper than the adventure and lose yourself between fact and fiction.

For the complete Year Walk experience, or if you're curious about the folk lore on which Year Walk is based, we recommend downloading Year Walk Companion, available for free on the App Store.

mzl.yqwibeev.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.wnktpzih.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.ywivwbjw.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.zjnnvght.480x480-75.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVz_MhMsAvs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom