• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Only upgradeable thing with gold atm is the final engine upgrade for a car right?

It varies car to car. Some have no coin upgrades. For others several of the final-stage upgrades are coins. One of my cars, the final two engine upgrades were coin upgrades.

I did have a coin surplus, even after spending them on skipping wait timers pretty liberally. But now I've run out of coins for the first time. My advice to players wanting to play truly 100% free would be to never spend coins skipping timers. You'll feel like you have TON of extra coins (I've earned 250 free through normal play) but when you drop 30+ at a time to buy a car's final upgrades, they dry up fast.

I've played wholly for free so far so if I put in $5 to buy enough coins to keep up with upgrades, that's fine with me.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I spent 80 gold coins on a premium car. For free of course. I'm gonna hoard my gold coins for those coin-only cars

Can't I just buy my way to that achievement?

image.php

Speaking of which, I wonder why there is no pay real money for random present in this game, those usually sell a ton IMO, random car for £3.99, could get lucky...

Are the .99 cents EA games worth getting? Mass Effect Infiltrator, Dead Space, Fifa 13 etc. Are they playable without have to make iAPs?

PFD

Are the .99 cents EA games worth getting? Mass Effect Infiltrator, Dead Space, Fifa 13 etc. Are they playable without have to make iAPs?

Those mostly came out before EA decided to insert IAPs where they don't belong. Dead Space and ME are alright, and have no IAPs.

Heel

How is that Clash of Clans, friends?

I am afraid to fall victim to yet another casual free-to-play game where I must click hundreds of things daily towards a goal that will leave me hollow inside, curled fetal in the basin of my evening shower, whimpering, wondering where my life has gone.

I am afraid to fall victim to yet another casual free-to-play game where I must click hundreds of things daily towards a goal that will leave me hollow inside, curled fetal in the basin of my evening shower, whimpering, wondering where my life has gone.

I kind of got into it for a week or so, then came to my senses, and was like "the fuck am I doing?"

It's basically what you think.

Hahaha

PFD

I feel like that whenever I try any 'time management' f2p game. That's why I usually never touch this genre. I'd rather play something with fun gameplay instead, and preferably a good story.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

I am addicted to it and have spent at least $30 so far on the game. I am a bad person. :(

Playing iOS games for achievements = doing it wrong
I don't disagree, but given that I have dozens of unplayed games on my device and only had minor, ancillary interest in Infinity Blade to begin with, sometimes you have to apply strange factors into deciding which ones get the boot.

I find Game Center leaderboards to be ace, but yeah, I've never had much fun with achievements on iOS. They're too haphazard, with different totals for different games based on nothing more than a developer's whim, games that have them, games that don't. It just feels like what it was - an afterthought.

And chubigans, you should be ashamed =P

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm uh....I'm kind of holding off on the patch until I've maxed out all 5 characters.

I know, I'm the worst.

Difficulty didn't become that much harder unfortunately, it's still way easier than the first release, I made it to the 40s without even trying much. But it is a little better than the 1.41 botched difficulty release.

The developer did say that this recent patch is pretty much the final one (excluding very minor stuff) and they were moving on to Dungelot 2, so unless you consider there to be content beyond collecting the required money to level the 5 characters to have all 4s, you may find little to do with the app after you've accrued the money when moving beyond the easiest release.

I haven't really played that much of it, but I don't see it being a very long endeavor to max the 5 characters and "finish" it, maybe 5-6 hours, unless you just make it in one single run to the 100s, then you'd probably obtain enough money to buy everything many times over.

Difficulty didn't become that much harder unfortunately, it's still way easier than the first release, I made it to the 40s without even trying much. But it is a little better than the 1.41 botched difficulty release.

The developer did say that this recent patch is pretty much the final one (excluding very minor stuff) and they were moving on to Dungelot 2, so unless you consider there to be content beyond collecting the required money to level the 5 characters to have all 4s, you may find little to do with the app after you've accrued the money when moving beyond the easiest release.

I haven't really played that much of it, but I don't see it being a very long endeavor to max the 5 characters and "finish" it, maybe 5-6 hours, unless you just make it in one single run to the 100s, then you'd probably obtain enough money to buy everything many times over.

I made it to 139 a few days ago and had enough to level two characters. I still need to do the remaining ones....

Good point about the content though. I'm selfishly enjoying the reward glitches so I'll give it a shot after maxing my characters just to see what's changed.

ToxicAdam

My Infinity Blade experience:

Bloodlines 1-2: Oh this is really awesome.

Bloodlines 3-6: Oh, this is really fucking tedious.

Bloodlines 7-10: Oh, this is really awesome.

I get why everyone gives it praise. It's a great looking, simple game, that you can pick up for 15 minutes and do a run. Put it down, then come back a few days later and do another run.

If you sit there and try to play it like a traditional console game (for 3 straight hours) you are going to be annoyed by it.

After how the developer seems to have ruined and then abandoned this game, I'm not exactly inclined to spend money on a sequel.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I'm on vacation with some family this week and wondering if there are any iPad games that offer compelling local multiplayer so I can play stuff on my iPad against my cousin on his.

After how the developer seems to have ruined and then abandoned this game, I'm not exactly inclined to spend money on a sequel.

To be fair I didn't pay for dungelot either and got a lot out of it before it was ruined.

Lessons learned are valuable. I'll be picking up 2 (pending IAP destruction)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I find Game Center leaderboards to be ace, but yeah, I've never had much fun with achievements on iOS. They're too haphazard, with different totals for different games based on nothing more than a developer's whim, games that have them, games that don't. It just feels like what it was - an afterthought.

And chubigans, you should be ashamed =P
Indeed :(

Whoops, meant for that to be an edit, sorry for the dp.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Nimble Quest gameplay. I'm assuming release for this game is very soon considering how much I've seen them teasing it

http://kamcord.com/v/lNcNKtxQDjO/

I'm disappointed that RR3 isn't available in the us yet....are there plans to release before the 28th?

Not sure why you're disappointed when it was always set for the 28th. People playing it now are pretty much guinea pigs for their cooldown/IAP play test

Minsc

Gold Member
Seriously, kind of a crap move on the devs part.

It sucks if it doesn't quite get back to that ruthless difficulty of the original release (though perhaps that was never really their intention), but for $1 or $2 it's a nice proof of concept for me because I haven't seen anything quite like it (it's like a slot machine version of minesweeper with light rpg elements). I'd still give a new app a chance if it promised quite a bit of new stuff over what was delivered in the original.

Whoops, I missed some posts above. I'll give it another spin I guess.

EDIT: Floor 25. Please game, let me die.

I'm not sure you're supposed to die so soon anymore, like in the first release. There's still quite a few enemies that continue to get introduced, even past the 40s that do make things more difficult. I agree the game isn't strong enough to carry itself on for so long (the buildup to a decent difficulty shouldn't take 40 floors), it was paced better in the original release where things got trickier much faster.

Heel

Yeah, I made it to the 40's with a mid-level Paladin. I've only done maybe 5 runs total.

I really don't want to reach that level and beyond every time I play the game. It's just not that interesting. This kind of game should make you feel pained that you've finally died, not relieved...hah.

I vote to take it off our recommended list. Cut the fat!

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, I made it to the 40's with a mid-level Paladin. I've only done maybe 5 runs total.

I really don't want to reach that level and beyond every time I play the game. It's just not that interesting. This kind of game should make you feel pained that you've finally died, not relieved...hah.

I vote to take it off our recommended list. Cut the fat!

I agree, it's not great by any means, but I do find it strangely addicting for killing time despite that. The paladin seems weak compared to the vampire I guess, I just got to floor 60 (and no sign of stopping) with a vampire having 700+ health and a healthy stock of items.

I think a few things that would greatly increase balance would be to fix the bugged rescue to the villager quest that pays off a second time when you clear the level, and to make the map/compass/lantern last only like 3 or so floors. They're ridiculously overpowered and the game feels completely broken with them directing you where to head/avoid every floor. I think if you triggered a lot more traps, the balance would be pretty good, knowing where the traps are makes it pretty hard to come out behind on a floor.

Korosenai

Kind of late to this but i love it. I've been playing since christmas and I have a pretty good base so far. I only play it for about 5 minutes every day, just enough to upgrade building and get gold and elixir.

I forget who recommended it but The Tribez really is rad. Once I got past the art style, which is so not my speed, it's structured incredibly well for this type of game. It's got pretty dynamic story based quests and a whole bunch of other quests that have you building a solid world as you go.

Shaneus

Just wanted to say, I'm still playing Dungeon Raid. Would go for months without playing it, then when I notice the icon again for whatever reason... BAM, there goes another couple of days.

ToxicAdam

I forget who recommended it but The Tribez really is rad. Once I got past the art style, which is so not my speed, it's structured incredibly well for this type of game. It's got pretty dynamic story based quests and a whole bunch of other quests that have you building a solid world as you go.

Glad you liked it. It's very polished for that type of game.

PFD

Wide Sky has been updated with touch controls, adding 3GS support. I had bought this game accidentally when it first came out thinking it was universal, only to find out it's an iphone game with finicky gyroscope gameplay. I might give it another try now, it sure looks beautiful.

I have a question about AppShopper, is it possible to track games from a different region? I downloaded a game on my Canada account and I would like to know when an update is available for it without having to log out from my US account if possible. I tried changing the region within the AppShopper app but it still only brings back results from the US store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom